120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1181 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:53 am

Think anyone that reads "chronic tendonitis" isn't trading for him already.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1182 » by catch20two » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Lol I just hate the fact that they’re actually reporting it in a manner where they’re leaving the door open for him to return this season. Just the shut the man down and avoid risking it becoming a major injury. This team smh.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#1183 » by Diop » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:42 pm

i was hoping this was an injury hes been carrying for a while and its the start of the tank
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1184 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:44 pm

I'm actually worried that any Nic injury will harm the tank, especially if Lamb plays more.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#1185 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I'm actually worried that any Nic injury will harm the tank, especially if Lamb plays more.

nic has been pretty good the last 20 games... not 20 mil good, but...
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#1186 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 am

fatlever wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I'm actually worried that any Nic injury will harm the tank, especially if Lamb plays more.

nic has been pretty good the last 20 games... not 20 mil good, but...

yeah overall he wasnt that bad if you take out his first ten or so games where he returned too early from injury. He was just average. Which is really bad for 3/$90 remaining on his deal. But hey he's not the one who drew up the paperwork
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1187 » by catch20two » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:23 pm

Batum at 7’1” has a longer wingspan than both Cody (6’11”) and Frank (6’11”). I think he should be tried at PF. If Batum was getting drafted in 2018 the scouts would be viewing him as a PF/SF much like guys like Kyle Kuzma, OG Anunoby, and DJ Wilson.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
powerforward
Junior
And1: 59

Post#1188 » by powerforward » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm

I can't believe we don't use him at the 4 at least occasionally. Portland did from time to time, and it would help spacing. Also don't understand why we didn't play lamb at sg and batum at 3 to start and use mkg/batum at both forward spots occasional.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#1189 » by Braggins » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:46 pm

powerforward wrote:I can't believe we don't use him at the 4 at least occasionally. Portland did from time to time, and it would help spacing. Also don't understand why we didn't play lamb at sg and batum at 3 to start and use mkg/batum at both forward spots occasional.

Our coach simply doesnt understand how modern NBA positions work.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1190 » by catch20two » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Smh. I don’t understand this team.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1191 » by Robot Rock » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:32 pm

incoming L
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#1192 » by Braggins » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:19 pm

lol why...

Edit: No, seriously. Why in the hell would they do this?
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#1193 » by Snidely FC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 am

Braggins wrote:lol why...

to me the only acceptable reason they're doing it is to prove he's not damaged goods so he can be traded
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#1194 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:06 am

Snidely FC wrote:

to me the only acceptable reason they're doing it is to prove he's not damaged goods so he can be traded

I'd hope that's not their course of thinking. If so it's backwards because they are risking him possibly suffering a torn achilles tendon. They should've been smart enough not to sign Batum to that type of a contract without expecting to regret it more likely than not, but just because he's not worth his contract that doesn't mean that he can't be a valuable piece in what they're doing moving forward
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#1195 » by Snidely FC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:19 am

mrknowitall215 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:

I'd hope that's not their course of thinking. If so it's backwards because they are risking him possibly suffering a torn achilles tendon. They should've been smart enough not to sign Batum to that type of a contract without expecting to regret it more likely than not, but just because he's not worth his contract that doesn't mean that he can't be a valuable piece in what they're doing moving forward

agreed on your first two points but in terms of value I fear his contract will keep the team from affording Kemba while creating the quality depth it otherwise needs to win
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#1196 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:39 am

Snidely FC wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:to me the only acceptable reason they're doing it is to prove he's not damaged goods so he can be traded

agreed on your first two points but in terms of value I fear his contract will keep the team from affording Kemba while creating the quality depth it otherwise needs to win

They'll be able to afford to keep Kemba one way or another. They're just trying to avoid going into the luxury tax with this cast of mediocrity on payroll. Salary dumping Lamb onto some lucky team that'll happily take him in with open arms on a $7-million annual contract when he's probably worth double that on the open market would be the easiest way to go about that although not in the best interest of the Hornets' in terms of improving next season because they'll be losing out on their second-best scorer. Dwight Howard will be coming off the books by the time they have to re-sign Kemba. Never mind extending Kemba because smart money is that he'll test the free-agency market regardless before accepting a extension under his current deal. All of this argues to your point though

The new GM will have his work cut out for him but it's not impossible. I just wonder what the trade market looks like for Batum, Howard, Williams, Kaminsky, and/or Zeller. I refuse to believe that there's no market for those players. It might not be the ideal exchange, but I'm sure they can be traded for something. I see less valuable players get traded every offseason and deadline for something of value in return
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1197 » by catch20two » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 am

I wouldn’t mind keeping Batum as a SF/PF (which means firing Clifford) if we can trade Dwight. I wouldn’t be surprised by the new GM asking Dwight to accept a buyout that’ll allow the team to save some money.
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#1198 » by _tijo_ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:41 am

mrknowitall215 wrote:The new GM will have his work cut out for him but it's not impossible. I just wonder what the trade market looks like for Batum, Howard, Williams, Kaminsky, and/or Zeller. I refuse to believe that there's no market for those players. It might not be the ideal exchange, but I'm sure they can be traded for something. I see less valuable players get traded every offseason and deadline for something of value in return

I am of the opinion that Cho got fired not because of his drafting record (I think MJ recognizes that he pushed for these players), but because he wasn't the networker amongst the other GMs to find takers for our players after they didn't pan out well. Cho simply wasn't the gregarious, plugged-in guy to be able to talk others into trading for our mistakes. I think they admitted as much, saying that in their next GM, they appreciated what Cho brought, but was looking for someone who could network with teams. i.e. Kupchak.

This is why it's also my opinion that all of this "GM search" is pretty much a ruse until we hire Kupchak. Prove me wrong Michael.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#1199 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:57 am

_tijo_ wrote:I am of the opinion that Cho got fired not because of his drafting record (I think MJ recognizes that he pushed for these players)

I'm under the belief combined with some evidence that MJ had nothing to do with the selections of Biyombo, MKG, or Zeller, and those are the 3 highest draft pick selections that Charlotte has had during the Cho tenure. It's all conjecture on whether MJ played a part in drafting Vonleh, Kaminsky, or Monk. Probably the only lottery pick that has any footing of being a MJ pick is Kemba

but because he wasn't the networker amongst the other GMs to find takers for our players after they didn't pan out well. Cho simply wasn't the gregarious, plugged-in guy to be able to talk others into trading for our mistakes. I think they admitted as much, saying that in their next GM, they appreciated what Cho brought, but was looking for someone who could network with teams. i.e. Kupchak.

This is why it's also my opinion that all of this "GM search" is pretty much a ruse until we hire Kupchak. Prove me wrong Michael.

I agree with this portion. Having a GM with connections around the league is very helpful when it comes to trades because it gives them an advantage. It might be the reason why we've witnessed teams trade players that we clamored for for less than Charlotte could've offered simply because of that "networking" factor
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#1200 » by Joest2003 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 4:19 pm

Nic batum just went on twitter and called Brandon Roy the best player he has ever played with.

Return to Charlotte Hornets