Jontay Porter

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Jontay Porter 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 5, 2018 9:39 pm

Probably my favorite player in the class. Not saying he's the best, but I just love his skillset for a big man.

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,742

Re: Jontay Porter 

Post#2 » by eminence » Thu Apr 5, 2018 10:57 pm

I like Jontay quite a bit. What range do you think he should go? Seems like a pretty safe later 1st to me.
I bought a boat.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 5, 2018 11:23 pm

eminence wrote:I like Jontay quite a bit. What range do you think he should go? Seems like a pretty safe later 1st to me.

I personally think he should be a lottery pick (10-12 on my board). I think he probably ends up going 15-25. If he somehow dropped to the Warriors, I'd be ecstatic. :nod:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 11:28 pm

Think he has a chance to go after the lottery to one of those teams with two or more draft picks, like the Clippers or the Hawks. If a team only has one shot at drafting and isn’t already a playoff-type team, I don’t think he goes to them. And if he does I think it’s a bad pick.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 11:31 pm

Think he has a chance to go after the lottery to one of those teams with two or more draft picks, like the Clippers (if they make the playoffs) or the Hawks. If a team only has one shot at drafting and isn’t already a playoff-type team, I don’t think he goes to them. And if he does I think it’s a bad pick.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,423

Post#6 » by azcatz11 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:10 am

I was listening to a NBA Draft Pod and one of the hosts were saying he has a chance to better than Michael. Haven't seen much Mizzou b-ball this season. Thoughts?
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#7 » by Jkam31 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:28 am

azcatz11 wrote:I was listening to a NBA Draft Pod and one of the hosts were saying he has a chance to better than Michael. Haven't seen much Mizzou b-ball this season. Thoughts?

What pod

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,423

Post#8 » by azcatz11 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:31 am

Jkam31 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I was listening to a NBA Draft Pod and one of the hosts were saying he has a chance to better than Michael. Haven't seen much Mizzou b-ball this season. Thoughts?

What pod

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Ringer Draftclass Pod - not sure if you're familiar but it was discussed a few weeks ago...
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#9 » by nolang1 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:07 am

I think what most people say when they're saying this is that Jontay, by virtue of his age (think he'd be the youngest player in the draft at this point) and all-around skills, has some chance of becoming an offensive center somewhat like Jokic. You could also take it the other way and say there's some chance Michael Porter's back is a recurring injury, in which case Jontay would most likely be better by default.
Zukkoyaki
Junior
And1: 262

Post#10 » by Zukkoyaki » Fri Apr 6, 2018 4:01 am

Mizzou fan here.

Basically boils down to how well-rounded his game is at such a young age. Despite a lack of athleticism he's demonstrated an impressive basketball IQ and the ability to impact the game in a number of ways. Michael obviously has the injury concerns and has mostly only ever shown the ability to be a great scorer. Jontay is in the Marc Gasol and Jokic mold of passing/shooting center. He'll be a project and probably spend a couple of years in the G League, but if a team with strong coaching and player development like Utah, San Antonio or Boston take him, he could be very good.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,907

Post#11 » by Wilfried » Fri Apr 6, 2018 7:36 am

I would like my Sixers to take him.

And that is with the LA pick. I don't think he will still be available at #24 or something.

Think he will climb a lot in the boards the next months.
Tankathon already has him at #15
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:53 pm

Wilfried wrote:I would like my Sixers to take him.

And that is with the LA pick. I don't think he will still be available at #24 or something.

I think he can go as high as TJ Leaf went last year. It’s just hard for me to see him as a fit on a lot of teams because he isn’t a fast-pace player and that is the direction a lot of teams are going. For a slower team like the Jazz and the Celtics it makes a bit more sense. But I think the reason he doesn’t go that high is mainly because of fit. I also don’t think you take him that early because he’s not athletic and athletic bigs are a huge need in the NBA.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 6, 2018 4:43 pm

I think we haven't seen his full physical development. He was still growing and getting used to his size, and he had some baby fat issues. Once he gets serious with top physical trainers, we might see a different athlete out there. Count me in as thinking he will become a better pro than his bro. He certainly seems to see the court better.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#14 » by Upperclass » Fri Apr 6, 2018 5:53 pm

I said the same thing before he re-classified last year. He's a better prospect than his brother. I think his floor is a Tristan Thompson, but can be much more if that jumper continues to develop.

Michael if he doesnt become a star.. probably cant be a role player either because he just needs the ball too much.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#15 » by kennydorglas » Fri Apr 6, 2018 6:22 pm

I never understood why they hyped Michael over him.
Once he gets into NBA training regime, people will finally see what he can do.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Fri Apr 6, 2018 6:53 pm

Yeah, they took my advice. lol

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by EvanZ » Fri Apr 6, 2018 6:55 pm

EvanZ wrote:

Yeah, they took my advice. lol

Read on Twitter

Also keep in mind he is the youngest player in this Draft class, a few months younger than JJJ.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,974

Post#18 » by Capn'O » Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:23 pm

I was watching some tape on him this weekend. Something that struck me - he plays like his big brother has always been better than him.

When I played ball, my buddy who I played with every day after school was always bigger and stronger and could jump higher than me. As a result, I developed these ridiculous fadeaway moves that would allow me to get a shot off when I wanted and I got pretty good at pulling up for 3 where he usually wouldn't mess with me.

Jontay does the same ****. Goes in strong and then kinda fades away like he's expecting Michael or maybe another Porter there to swat it away.

Which is great because now he can shoot 3s... but homie - I ain't ever get past 5'10". You, on the other hand, are huge now. Very few people in the world can mess with your inside game if you go at people. That's a mental thing that needs to be weeded out of his game because they're bad shots. His 2pt FG% will go way up if he starts approaching his advantages there properly.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:58 pm

Capn'O wrote:I was watching some tape on him this weekend. Something that struck me - he plays like his big brother has always been better than him.

When I played ball, my buddy who I played with every day after school was always bigger and stronger and could jump higher than me. As a result, I developed these ridiculous fadeaway moves that would allow me to get a shot off when I wanted and I got pretty good at pulling up for 3 where he usually wouldn't mess with me.

Jontay does the same ****. Goes in strong and then kinda fades away like he's expecting Michael or maybe another Porter there to swat it away.

Which is great because now he can shoot 3s... but homie - I ain't ever get past 5'10". You, on the other hand, are huge now. Very few people in the world can mess with your inside game if you go at people. That's a mental thing that needs to be weeded out of his game because they're bad shots. His 2pt FG% will go way up if he starts approaching his advantages there properly.

Well it wasn’t only his brother he would play against. He has an entire family of basketball people. They have two sisters playing college basketball too. And they have younger siblings playing on top of that.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:05 am

He played with both his brother and Trae.

IT'S NO WONDER HE LEARNED HOW TO PASS.

Return to NBA Draft