The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Apr 6, 2018 8:43 pm

Previous thread is (well) over 100 pages.

Here is a link to that thread.

Below are the last three posts from the previous thread to help continue the conversation:

kamaze wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Don't forget about Brook.

Brook was a salary dump in the deal. Without trading Brook in the deal, we couldn't do the Carroll or Crabbe deals.

Just wanted to be honest about what the trade was Brook and the 27th pick for Mozgov and DLo. Brook is a better player than Mozgov that comes off the books in a couple of weeks.

TheNetsFan wrote:
kamaze wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Brook was a salary dump in the deal. Without trading Brook in the deal, we couldn't do the Carroll or Crabbe deals.

Just wanted to be honest about what the trade was Brook and the 27th pick for Mozgov and DLo. Brook is a better player than Mozgov that comes off the books in a couple of weeks.

If you want to be honest, you have to look at the full picture. The Lakers would've done the deal without Lopez. If we didn't include him, that's $22mil less cap space available to us. We wouldn't have been able to make the Porter offer, and the 2 subsequent trades cost about $12mil in cap room each. We would not have been able to move Lopez's contract for pure cap space in any other deal.

I can guarantee you Marks does not evaluate a potential trade in box. He's always assessing how it impacts the next potential 2-3 moves.

vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm still fine with the trade. Even if Russell completely fails and he's never re-signed, I'm fine with the trade. It was a risk that needed to be taken.

Finally, here is a video by D'Angelo. I think VC4P will find many parallels between D'Angelo's song and Russell's attitude and play style :lol: :

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#2 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 6, 2018 8:55 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:Previous thread is (well) over 100 pages.

Here is a link to that thread.

Below are the last three posts from the previous thread to help continue the conversation:

kamaze wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Brook was a salary dump in the deal. Without trading Brook in the deal, we couldn't do the Carroll or Crabbe deals.

TheNetsFan wrote:
kamaze wrote:

If you want to be honest, you have to look at the full picture. The Lakers would've done the deal without Lopez. If we didn't include him, that's $22mil less cap space available to us. We wouldn't have been able to make the Porter offer, and the 2 subsequent trades cost about $12mil in cap room each. We would not have been able to move Lopez's contract for pure cap space in any other deal.

I can guarantee you Marks does not evaluate a potential trade in box. He's always assessing how it impacts the next potential 2-3 moves.

vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm still fine with the trade. Even if Russell completely fails and he's never re-signed, I'm fine with the trade. It was a risk that needed to be taken.

Finally, here is a video by D'Angelo. I think VC4P will find many parallels between D'Angelo's song and Russell's attitude and play style :lol: :

$hit. Damn. Mother :censored:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,789

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 6, 2018 9:09 pm

The move was calculated risk. If Russell doesn't work out, we move on. I'm not going to worry about trading the 27th pick and an expiring and declining Brook for him especially since that player -wouldn't- have been Kyle Kuzma if the Nets had kept the pick.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#4 » by Claud » Fri Apr 6, 2018 9:16 pm

Russell is fine. Everything considered this has been a solid season for him.

Now he knows the system and knows what's expected from him in order for us to get wins plus the team overall has really learned the system which will go long ways next season.

Russell should have a stronger season next year playing for that extension plus more comfortable in his role here in BK.
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#5 » by Crooked-I » Fri Apr 6, 2018 9:43 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:The move was calculated risk. If Russell doesn't work out, we move on. I'm not going to worry about trading the 27th pick and an expiring and declining Brook for him especially since that player -wouldn't- have been Kyle Kuzma if the Nets had kept the pick.

Yeah I still don't get the logic. For example Cleveland traded us(the Lakers) their 1st round pick for 2018. If we somehow pick a player that ends up being a hall of famer, is that going to haunt Cleveland? I think the answer is no, but seems like some people think the answer is yes. There's no saying who Cleveland would take with that pick if they kept it so not sure how someone can say Cleveland really messed up. Going by that logic, anyone who would've traded a late first rounder or 2nd round pick in 2014 really f'd up because they could've had Jokic.

I still don't get it, but whatever not my board so i'll move along. Good luck guys i'm rooting for you.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#6 » by Paradise » Fri Apr 6, 2018 10:40 pm

Nets unveil D’Lo signature hats designed by Russell himself.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#7 » by shakendfries » Fri Apr 6, 2018 10:43 pm

Paradise wrote:Nets unveil D’Lo signature hats designed by Russell himself.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Sick! I love this - the boxed out one is clean
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#8 » by Mosdefinition » Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:57 am

MrDollarBills wrote:The move was calculated risk. If Russell doesn't work out, we move on. I'm not going to worry about trading the 27th pick and an expiring and declining Brook for him especially since that player -wouldn't- have been Kyle Kuzma if the Nets had kept the pick.

exactly zero risk
they werent bringing brook back

i cant even see where brook even goes next year
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#9 » by Mosdefinition » Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:58 am

shakendfries wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sick! I love this - the boxed out one is clean

the infor logo one is nice
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#10 » by IceManBK1 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 1:03 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Love the subzero one.
Paradise

Post#11 » by Paradise » Sat Apr 7, 2018 3:50 am

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,789

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 7, 2018 3:29 pm

Crooked-I wrote:

Yeah I still don't get the logic. For example Cleveland traded us(the Lakers) their 1st round pick for 2018. If we somehow pick a player that ends up being a hall of famer, is that going to haunt Cleveland? I think the answer is no, but seems like some people think the answer is yes. There's no saying who Cleveland would take with that pick if they kept it so not sure how someone can say Cleveland really messed up. Going by that logic, anyone who would've traded a late first rounder or 2nd round pick in 2014 really f'd up because they could've had Jokic.

I still don't get it, but whatever not my board so i'll move along. Good luck guys i'm rooting for you.

There isn't much logic behind it. We have people on here who didn't like this kid before he even got here so they use flimsy arguments to try to call the trade a failure or disparage Russell. Kyle Kuzma was never, ever going to be a Net, so the only way the trade is a failure is if Russell never amounts to much more than he is now (which I highly doubt given his age and level of talent) or if he leaves in free agency for nothing. You think Sean Marks is sitting up at night thinking about trading away a player he wasn't going to draft in the first place? :lol:

I really hope he has a killer season next year. I want his haters to engorge themselves with crow until they puke.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#13 » by kamaze » Sat Apr 7, 2018 11:57 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Crooked-I wrote:

There isn't much logic behind it. We have people on here who didn't like this kid before he even got here so they use flimsy arguments to try to call the trade a failure or disparage Russell. Kyle Kuzma was never, ever going to be a Net, so the only way the trade is a failure is if Russell never amounts to much more than he is now (which I highly doubt given his age and level of talent) or if he leaves in free agency for nothing. You think Sean Marks is sitting up at night thinking about trading away a player he wasn't going to draft in the first place? :lol:

I really hope he has a killer season next year. I want his haters to engorge themselves with crow until they puke.

Flimsy arguments my left nut he had a good first half scoring 18 of his 22 points. :clap: :clap:

In the third quarter I saw 2 plays on defense Jabari Parker went right past him in the half court offense for a dunk, the other on a fast break where he gambled for a steal in the corner resulting in another dunk for Jabari unacceptable defense.
He was then benched for most of the 4th quarter..you see this as hate MDB when all it is is tough love you can't fix a problem if you don't acknowledge it.
He was subbed offense for defense at the end of the game along with 5 turnovers.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#14 » by kamaze » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:01 am

Crooked-I wrote:

How about if you add a $47 million contract for a player to sit on the bench to the deal?
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Paradise

Post#15 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:24 am

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Crooked-I wrote:

Marks is on the record stating they would have taken Ivan Rabb and not Kuzma
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#17 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Mosdefinition wrote:

exactly zero risk
they werent bringing brook back

i cant even see where brook even goes next year

Yeah we could have brook back for the MLE if we wanted him im sure. people dont want to pay big money for bench stretch bigs you can get those cheap
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#18 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:37 pm

The trade at WORST is a minor win for us and if Russell pans out it is a massive win.

We gave up:
-Expiring contract/Cap space
-pick #27

for:
d'angelo Russell
Mozgovz 3 year deal

That is a SMALL price to pay for a 21 year old shooting gaurd as skilled as russell. even if he NEVER improves you are still talking about a 15/5/5 player who shoots 34-35% from three. those guys dont grow on trees and a super late first rounder + taking on 2-3 years of bad salary would STILL be good value if all we got was a career 16/5/4 guy who shoots above average from three.

Marks is on record saying they would not have taken Kuzma and reports where we would have taken Rabb (who many had us taking at 22). Kuzma shouldn't factor in... thats independent good drafting by LA, not something we gave up.

If you are looking at on court it shouldbe Raab/Lopez vs, Russell/Mozgov.

I also think that the pessimism of Dlo's future is really overblown. He is a 21 year old year 1 in the system, battled injuries and still dropped 16/5/4 (17/6/4 on 37% threes post ASB)

What is the problem? not many guys by 21 are far beyond what russell is now. it is certainly within the realm of possibilityu he becomes a 20/8/5 guy in the future.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#19 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:The trade at WORST is a minor win for us and if Russell pans out it is a massive win.

We gave up:
-Expiring contract/Cap space
-pick #27

for:
d'angelo Russell
Mozgovz 3 year deal

That is a SMALL price to pay for a 21 year old shooting gaurd as skilled as russell. even if he NEVER improves you are still talking about a 15/5/5 player who shoots 34-35% from three. those guys dont grow on trees and a super late first rounder + taking on 2-3 years of bad salary would STILL be good value if all we got was a career 16/5/4 guy who shoots above average from three.

Marks is on record saying they would not have taken Kuzma and reports where we would have taken Rabb (who many had us taking at 22). Kuzma shouldn't factor in... thats independent good drafting by LA, not something we gave up.

If you are looking at on court it shouldbe Raab/Lopez vs, Russell/Mozgov.

I also think that the pessimism of Dlo's future is really overblown. He is a 21 year old year 1 in the system, battled injuries and still dropped 16/5/4 (17/6/4 on 37% threes post ASB)

What is the problem? not many guys by 21 are far beyond what russell is now. it is certainly within the realm of possibilityu he becomes a 20/8/5 guy in the future.

I think I agree, haven't thought it through.

The counterfactual is if the trade didn't happen, then we'd have Lopez who would have expired this year. We'd also have, say, Ivan Rabb and his salary. And we'd have $15-16 million extra. Crabbe, Levert, Harris, Dinwiddie, RHJ all would have gotten a few extra minutes unless the Nets signed another rotation piece. Yeah, I think the trade at worst was a wash. Depends on how Dlo turns out.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#20 » by MGrand15 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:57 pm

The Gerald Wallace trade isn't any better because Billy King was on the record saying he would've taken Thomas Robinson over Dame Lillard. Their fates are tied together.

Doesn't make it a bad trade but it's definitely part of the evaluation process.

Return to Brooklyn Nets