Trevon Duval

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Trevon Duval 

Post#1 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Apr 5, 2018 4:39 pm

Where do you take Duval? I like so much about his game, physical attributes, etc - but man, the NBA is a struggle if you can't shoot. does he go first round? imo, he compares favorably to Exum, but Exum can at least knock down open threes. not sure if Duval can do that and I'm not a fan of his stroke - so not sure if I'd be terribly confident about his potential to improve.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Re: Trevon Duval 

Post#2 » by The-Power » Thu Apr 5, 2018 5:08 pm

I wouldn't draft him in the first round, not a chance. At some point in the second, in case I don't really care if I get a contributor or not, I might want to try him out and see if I can make some use of his athletic potential on both ends of the floor given that he has some on-ball skills he might be able to use in some systems predicated on ball movement. But whoever drafts him to be a lead guard is misguided, imo.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 5:38 pm

I have a feeling someone will take him in the first round. I think there’s an argument there that he could be better in the NBA. He’s really athletic, quick and he’s a good passer. He definitely has a lot of upside. He’ll do well at the combine and at workouts too. I personally wouldn’t take him there, but there are for sure teams that have him higher up.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#4 » by stinger14 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:35 pm

Someone will pick him, 19 years old and plenty of time to work on shooting. Develop his shot and confidence and he could POTENTIALLY explode into one of the best players in this draft. Really really athletic, very quick, very good passer, very good vision, and very good finisher at the rim. I'm not comparing him to, nor am I saying he will be like him, but he reminds me of a Russell Westbrook coming out of college, and with the right development could become a very similar player. Westbrook had all the same attributes, and was also not a good shooter. Also like Westbrook, I think the NBA is a better fit for Duval than college.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:41 pm

Early 2nd is the sweet spot, his frame, passing vision (not the same as IQ), handles, and possbile defensive upside are all enticing, I don't his shot is flat-out broken, he just needs consistency but I think there is something to work with there, he needs a year or two building the fundation of his game, but in the right place (looking at Atlanta in the 2nd for example) I think he can be a value pick
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#6 » by DrCoach » Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:46 pm

No way with his size and athleticism he goes 2nd rd
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#7 » by CptCrunch » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:01 pm

He makes the elite passes and the turnovers. This shows his upside as a PG point guard. The lack of shooting is basically a Fox situation. Fox was the worst shooting PG within the last 5 years. Now, it will be Duval. Not saying that he will shoot as well as Fox this year, but young guards not being able to shoot is not that big of a deal.

Duval has a 7'0" wingspan guys. This dude is going late lotto to early 20". He is going to wow some front office with his workouts.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#8 » by GimmeDat » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:49 am

paulbball wrote:He makes the elite passes and the turnovers. This shows his upside as a PG point guard. The lack of shooting is basically a Fox situation. Fox was the worst shooting PG within the last 5 years. Now, it will be Duval. Not saying that he will shoot as well as Fox this year, but young guards not being able to shoot is not that big of a deal.

Duval has a 7'0" wingspan guys. This dude is going late lotto to early 20". He is going to wow some front office with his workouts.

I think Fox's shot seemed x100 more workable than Duval's is right now. His is broken.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by CptCrunch » Mon Apr 9, 2018 4:03 am

GimmeDat wrote:
paulbball wrote:He makes the elite passes and the turnovers. This shows his upside as a PG point guard. The lack of shooting is basically a Fox situation. Fox was the worst shooting PG within the last 5 years. Now, it will be Duval. Not saying that he will shoot as well as Fox this year, but young guards not being able to shoot is not that big of a deal.

I think Fox's shot seemed x100 more workable than Duval's is right now. His is broken.

It's all hindsight. Fox has 0 shooting while at Kentucky. He showed up in season with a bad but workable shot.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#10 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 4:19 am

Looking at the positives first. Tremendous size and length for the PG spot. He is also very athletic and has a great handle that allows him to attack the basket whenever. I think hes an underrated passer and should look a lot better running a high volume of PnR (for some reason K didnt put him in that situation too often). His shot is definitely a project but showed some improvement over the season and over the last half of the season shot 37% from 3 on 3 attempts a game.

The negatives, he is a horrific FT shooter (59%) and his form is still pretty janky on his jumper so I really dont know how much potential he has there. A pretty low IQ player on both ends of the court, PG is the last position you want a guy that plays with a low IQ. Defensively he did show some flashes but really inconsistent on that end of the court, expect a lot more from a guy his size and with his athletic ability.

I think 10 years ago when the 3pt shot wasnt as important for guards he wouldve gone a lot higher. Right now he is a total project but I can see why a team might fall in love with his potential and take him late 1st round.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#11 » by GimmeDat » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:43 am

paulbball wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

I wouldn't say so. His form was good

It's all hindsight. Fox has 0 shooting while at Kentucky. He showed up in season with a bad but workable shot.

I don't think so. Fox had good form, a decent midrange game and shot 74% from the line. That's leagues ahead of where Duval is right now.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#12 » by akhan786 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:01 am

I would love him on the Jazz and with Quinn Snyder/Donovan. He's a PG prospect. Not a NBA PG yet. If he goes to an organization that understands that, I think he could be a really dynamic and fun PG.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#13 » by Justwar » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:32 am

Duval can be a solid backup but nothing but Trevor ariza to suggest he can go from a horrific shooter and foul shooter to needing to be defended. Maybe a worse shooting rondo and less rebounding? Maybe less defensive effort.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#14 » by jonjames » Mon Apr 9, 2018 12:52 pm

Fox was not a good 3 pt shooter but solid/good in midrange and free throws. Duval is a worse shooter.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#15 » by jonjames » Mon Apr 9, 2018 12:59 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:Where do you take Duval? I like so much about his game, physical attributes, etc - but man, the NBA is a struggle if you can't shoot. does he go first round? imo, he compares favorably to Exum, but Exum can at least knock down open threes. not sure if Duval can do that and I'm not a fan of his stroke - so not sure if I'd be terribly confident about his potential to improve.

I do like his physical attributes at pg but hes better off served returning to duke next year improving his game and making a run at national title with this incomimg class. His stock is pretty low right now most likely a 2nd rounder but i can see him maybe sneaking into late 1st rd based off his size and potential.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#16 » by The-Power » Mon Apr 9, 2018 1:37 pm

paulbball wrote: Fox was the worst shooting PG within the last 5 years. Now, it will be Duval. Not saying that he will shoot as well as Fox this year, but young guards not being able to shoot is not that big of a deal.

In what world has Fox shot it well this year? 30% from 3, 35% on midrange jumpers – that's struggling. It's not horrible for a Rookie PG but certainly not an example of someone who overcame his shooting issues. And I second the notion that Fox' shot looked more workable than Duval's – not least shown in their respective FT%.

You say it's not a big deal and I couldn't disagree more. How often have we seen a lead guard developing into a respectable NBA shooter after shooting as poorly as Duval from 3 and from the line in college, in recent years? People need to stop assuming that players with poor shooting and far from ideal mechanics simply become decent shooters, especially off the dribble (spot-up shooting is a different story, but that's not what you're looking for in lead guards). It's the absolute exception.

If you're implying that shooting is not so important from lead guards then I can only strongly disagree again – good lead guards with poor shooting are, again, the exception and not ones to bet on. Betting on Duval to become a decent shooter is akin to betting that an off-ball shooters develops sufficient PG-skills to run a team for extended minutes in the NBA. Both are developments are possible but extremely rare, and it's completely unreasonable to expect it.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by CptCrunch » Mon Apr 9, 2018 1:51 pm

The-Power wrote:
paulbball wrote: Fox was the worst shooting PG within the last 5 years. Now, it will be Duval. Not saying that he will shoot as well as Fox this year, but young guards not being able to shoot is not that big of a deal.

In what world has Fox shot it well this year? 30% from 3, 35% on midrange jumpers – that's struggling. It's not horrible for a Rookie PG but certainly not an example of someone who overcame his shooting issues. And I second the notion that Fox' shot looked more workable than Duval's – not least shown in their respective FT%.

You say it's not a big deal and I couldn't disagree more. How often have we seen a lead guard developing into a respectable NBA shooter after shooting as poorly as Duval from 3 and from the line in college, in recent years? People need to stop assuming that players with poor shooting and far from ideal mechanics simply become decent shooters, especially off the dribble (spot-up shooting is a different story, but that's not what you're looking for in lead guards). It's the absolute exception.

If you're implying that shooting is not so important from lead guards then I can only strongly disagree again – good lead guards with poor shooting are, again, the exception and not ones to bet on. Betting on Duval to become a decent shooter is akin to betting that an off-ball shooters develops sufficient PG-skills to run a team for extended minutes in the NBA. Both are developments are possible but extremely rare, and it's completely unreasonable to expect it.

1. I didn't say Fox has been shooting well. He went from no shot to having a workable shot.

2. My point is that young guards struggle with shooting often these days. It is simply a numbers game. The number of people at PG height with athletic ability is far greater than the number either both shooting skills and athletic abilities. Basketball is a physical sports first and foremost.

3. We got to view Duval in a different light. He is not a lotto pick. His range in my opinion is 18-40. You are not drafting him as a high end lotto talent. Players in that range averages out to be a subpar starter, but I argue that his ceiling is way higher than others that will be drafted around him. Shooting is pretty much his only issue, if he had a shot as broken as let's say Fox's in college, he would be a top 10 prospect.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#18 » by kobyz » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:05 pm

He's a stronger dejonte murray
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#19 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:34 pm

paulbball wrote:
The-Power wrote:

1. I didn't say Fox has been shooting well. He went from no shot to having a workable shot.

2. My point is that young guards struggle with shooting often these days. It is simply a numbers game. The number of people at PG height with athletic ability is far greater than the number either both shooting skills and athletic abilities. Basketball is a physical sports first and foremost.

3. We got to view Duval in a different light. He is not a lotto pick. His range in my opinion is 18-40. You are not drafting him as a high end lotto talent. Players in that range averages out to be a subpar starter, but I argue that his ceiling is way higher than others that will be drafted around him. Shooting is pretty much his only issue, if he had a shot as broken as let's say Fox's in college, he would be a top 10 prospect.

that's pretty close to where i'm at with him. shooting is really the only concern at this point. the draft, that 18-40 range is a crap shoot anyway, why not take a chance on a guy with that kind of potential at the end of the first, early second? seems like a pretty good value. what's sad for him is that he has lottery talent, but the lack of shooting pushes him back so far.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by CptCrunch » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:38 pm

Oh did I mention that he has a 7'0" wingspan and is built like an NFL player?

I don't see why he can't be drafted based on physicality alone. Your PG with a 7'0" wingspan is absurd. If he could hide in Europe like Frank Ntilikina (7'1" wingspan) playing sub 20 minutes in the French league, he would be drafted in top 10 also. College actually exposed his shooting.

Return to NBA Draft