ImageImageImage

OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

bigheadburton
Junior
And1: 115

Re: OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.) 

Post#81 » by bigheadburton » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:44 pm

Deadwood is for sure up there with The Wire and Breaking Bad as one of the greatest shows of all time.

No love for Justified up in here?

New shows in 2018 that Ive really enjoyed is Counterpart, The Terror and Killing Eve.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#82 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:02 pm

Sixersftw wrote:I played MTG as a kid but can't really stick to hearthstone. The fact that you can't recoup your investment at the end of a sets life cycle makes it feel like a cash funnel. I'll look into it.

That's why I don't play HS. Sets don't cycle out of Legends (they've only had 2 major expansions so far. It's a young game) and it's very f2p friendly. There are a bunch of interesting mechanics that allow for a pretty diverse meta and less rng. Let me know if you get hooked.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#83 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:27 pm

Power is the best show on tv currently running.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#84 » by Stanford » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Top 3-5 favorite non-basketball podcasts?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#85 » by Arsenal » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Stanford wrote:Top 3-5 favorite non-basketball podcasts?

I just started getting into Podcasts and I think they're awesome. Listened to Redick's a couple times and some others. My top picks so far:

1) Serial (Season 1 - the first super popular podcast - true crime murder mystery)
2) Something to Wrestle With (about the 80's and 90's and early 00's when pro wrestling was awesome)
3) Dirty John (true crime somewhat similar to Serial)

I also tried S-Town, which was from the makers of Serial. It was good at first, but went downhill quickly and was really boring and lame for the 2nd half of it, so I don't recommend it. I heard Serial season 2 isn't very good so I haven't listened to it yet.

Can anyone let me know the best basketball and baseball podcasts? I''m getting into baseball again now since I like to bet on sports and basketball season is almost over.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Post#86 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Arsenal wrote:

I just started getting into Podcasts and I think they're awesome. Listened to Redick's a couple times and some others. My top picks so far:

1) Serial (Season 1 - the first super popular podcast - true crime murder mystery)
2) Something to Wrestle With (about the 80's and 90's and early 00's when pro wrestling was awesome)

I also tried S-Town, which was from the makers of Serial. It was good at first, but went downhill quickly and was really boring and lame for the 2nd half of it, so I don't recommend it. I heard Serial season 2 isn't very good so I haven't listened to it yet.

Can anyone let me know the best basketball and baseball podcasts? I''m getting into baseball again now since I like to bet on sports and basketball season is almost over.

I don't know if you're into fantasy basketball or daily fantasy leagues like FanDuel, but I've listened to Josh Lloyd over the past two NBA seasons. His podcast is called Locked on Fantasy Basketball and he releases an episode each weekday recapping the prior night's games and previews the current night's games. It's definitely geared towards fans looking for fantasy advice, but I also find his recaps keep me informed around the league of how each team/player is doing and he breaks down any trades, signings, etc. He's Australian so his episode is always ready to download when I get to work in the morning. Good bloke, humorous and a good follow on Twitter @redrock_bball
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#87 » by Sixersftw » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 pm

1. Last podcast on the Left (hilarious true crime)
2. The Dollop (comedic American Hisory)
3. Pod Save America (US Politics<lefty>)
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#88 » by Sixersftw » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Arsenal wrote:Can anyone let me know the best basketball and baseball podcasts? I''m getting into baseball again now since I like to bet on sports and basketball season is almost over.

I really haven't found a baseball one I like but for Basketball: Sixersbeat, the Rights to Ricky Sanchez, Ringer NBA podcast, realgm radio, dunc'd on podcast, JJ reddick podcast, Game Theory, WOJ, the Lowe Post. Honestly, I listen to a ton more but this is an embarrassing amount already.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#89 » by sixers hoops » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 am

Arsenal wrote:

For hoops I like Sixers beat. For Phillies, I just tried high hopes. Need to hear more.

S-Town was a waste of time.

I was addicted to wrestling in late 80’s, early 90’s. I need to check it out.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#90 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:59 am

1.) JJ Redick’s podcast
2.) Sixersbeat
3.) Woj
4.) espn hoops collective

I listen podcast more to get life stories related to NBA than to get opinion of media people. Well, except for Sixers Beat.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#91 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Two really good movies:

Avengers: Infinity War
- feels like its the most meaningful avengers movie. Always nice when the superheroes are vulnerable

Ready Player One
- Good storyline, great action scenes and very great CGI

Didn't like "A Quiet Place", its too short and simple for my taste for horror films
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Re: OT: TV Series 

Post#92 » by SexDrugsPnR » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:44 pm

76ciology wrote:Money Heist (spanish tv series) is another one I'll recommend. Season 2 is available now.

Now trying to watch "Zoo".

excellent series (some minor spanglish in the subtitles can be forgiven).
76ciology
RealGM

Post#93 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:58 pm

SexDrugsPnR wrote:
76ciology wrote:Money Heist (spanish tv series) is another one I'll recommend. Season 2 is available now.

Yup!

Now watching Ozark. It's good also
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#94 » by sixers hoops » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:33 am

76ciology wrote:
SexDrugsPnR wrote:

Yup!

Now watching Ozark. It's good also

Ozark is pretty good. I just watched that and the mindhunter. I liked both, but ozark better.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,666

Post#95 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:05 pm

76ciology wrote:Two really good movies:

- feels like its the most meaningful avengers movie. Always nice when the superheroes are vulnerable

Ready Player One

Didn't like "A Quiet Place", its too short and simple for my taste for horror films

I loved A Quiet Place. Thought it was a unique way of portraying a horror film. And I’m not a horror guy.
Martensitic
Junior
And1: 313

Post#96 » by Martensitic » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:56 pm

It's quite funny, because when a spanish TV started airing it, it wasn't that popular here, they lost most of the audience, but it seems it has gotten quite popular abroud since Netflix bought it.

I can't recommend any spanish series, it's a little bit difficult for me to explain why in english, but, let's say that due to format, series aren't done with an ending in mind. Anyway I've heard that Crematorium is quite entertaining.

On the other hand, if anybody is interested, I can recommend lots of great spanish movies.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#97 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:Two really good movies:

Ready Player One

I loved A Quiet Place. Thought it was a unique way of portraying a horror film. And I’m not a horror guy.

Yeah. Maybe im just not into monsters. But it was very creatively made.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#98 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Martensitic wrote:

It's quite funny, because when a spanish TV started airing it, it wasn't that popular here, they lost most of the audience, but it seems it has gotten quite popular abroud since Netflix bought it.

I can't recommend any spanish series, it's a little bit difficult for me to explain why in english, but, let's say that due to format, series aren't done with an ending in mind. Anyway I've heard that Crematorium is quite entertaining.

On the other hand, if anybody is interested, I can recommend lots of great spanish movies.

How can you guys not get hooked after that season 1 finale?!

A good german tv series they say is “Dark”. Will look into it after i finish Ozark.

Sure fire away! List the spanish movies you’d recommend. Its not like we’re movie critics here lol
sixers78
Senior
And1: 116

Post#99 » by sixers78 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Westworld and Billions are awesome tv shows.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#100 » by 76ciology » Sat May 12, 2018 4:00 am

Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely is a good book. I’ve read lately.

TV series “The Sinner” by Jessica Biel is also good. Didn’t like “OA”, the setup for finale was too long and boring for me.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers