NXT TakeOver: New Orleans (April 7th, 2018)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Re: NXT TakeOver: New Orleans (April 7th, 2018) 

Post#81 » by improper » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:38 pm

WRau1 wrote:Not to mention Black v Fish then O'Reilly within a 3 week span. Both were the best television matches on NXT in 2017.

Yeah. I don't think Black is the best worker in NXT by any means, but he's certainly near the top. I'd rank him after Gargano, Ciampa, and Almas at least. But Black has delivered ****+ matches with Velveteen Dream, Adam Cole (in what was by far Cole's best singles match thus far), and Almas at the last three big events. Dude can work.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#82 » by improper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:13 am

So I know some here were criticizing the Takeover crowd. Well, after watching how they reacted to the last few matches of Mania, the Takeover crowd sure looks a hell of a lot better now, eh? Just had to give them a match they actually gave a crap about.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#83 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#84 » by iMoreland » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:31 am

This show got two 5 star matches from Dave Meltzer, the Ladder match and Ciampa/Gargano
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#85 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:44 pm

iMoreland wrote:This show got two 5 star matches from Dave Meltzer, the Ladder match and Ciampa/Gargano

rightfully so, both where fantastic matches (then again, he did give AJ and Shinsuke 3.75 stars for some reason).
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by improper » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:28 am

I'd probably go more like 4.5 for the ladder match. I mean, it was an amazing match, but I don't know how you can rate it the same as Gargano/Ciampa, which was a goddamn masterpiece and probably one of the five best matches I've ever seen. Maybe it's not fair, but the ladder match would probably be five stars on a card where it was the best match, but I can't give it that rating when it shared the show with a match that was clearly better.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#87 » by Dominator83 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 am

improper wrote:I'd probably go more like 4.5 for the ladder match. I mean, it was an amazing match, but I don't know how you can rate it the same as Gargano/Ciampa, which was a goddamn masterpiece and probably one of the five best matches I've ever seen. Maybe it's not fair, but the ladder match would probably be five stars on a card where it was the best match, but I can't give it that rating when it shared the show with a match that was clearly better.

NXT has lots of great matches on that level. The last takeover I thought Gargano /Almas and Black/Cole was just as good, the six man ladder match, Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate, Gargano /Ciampa vs AOP ladder match, the 2 NXT TV matches of Black vs O'Reilly and Black vs Fish (pre undisputed Era), Nakamura vs Zayn.

NXT just continues to raise the bar. When's the last time we saw a main roster match on the level of any of these?!
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#88 » by bestnamezRtaken » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Spens1 wrote:
iMoreland wrote:This show got two 5 star matches from Dave Meltzer, the Ladder match and Ciampa/Gargano

rightfully so, both where fantastic matches (then again, he did give AJ and Shinsuke 3.75 stars for some reason).

That's because it was a good match, just not great or amazing. You can't say that much sucked. It just didn't live up to expectations, but that's likely due to the heel turn that happened. I think once they let this feud build up more and they have another match, whether it's at Backlash, MITB, Extreme Rules, or SummerSlam, it's going to be much better due to the face/heel dynamic that they're hopefully going to be working on with Shin and AJ. Their match was good, it just wasn't amazing.

Definitely not on the level of Gargs/Tom as that match honestly was exhausting to watch. So good, so many near falls, a lot of hard bumps and gross thuds...just an all out brawl. I wouldn't give the ladder match a 5 star rating, definitely 4.75 but I'm okay with what Metlzer's ratings.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#89 » by Spens1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

That's because it was a good match, just not great or amazing. You can't say that much sucked. It just didn't live up to expectations, but that's likely due to the heel turn that happened. I think once they let this feud build up more and they have another match, whether it's at Backlash, MITB, Extreme Rules, or SummerSlam, it's going to be much better due to the face/heel dynamic that they're hopefully going to be working on with Shin and AJ. Their match was good, it just wasn't amazing.

Definitely not on the level of Gargs/Tom as that match honestly was exhausting to watch. So good, so many near falls, a lot of hard bumps and gross thuds...just an all out brawl. I wouldn't give the ladder match a 5 star rating, definitely 4.75 but I'm okay with what Metlzer's ratings.

It was boring though, you can have a technically sound match but if a match doesn't get out of 2nd gear, it clearly isn't entertaining and beyond being good technically, this delivered nothing. Also there was no storyline to talk about with this which hurt the story (actually i lie, it didn't exist).
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#90 » by bestnamezRtaken » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Spens1 wrote:
bestnamezRtaken wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

It was boring though, you can have a technically sound match but if a match doesn't get out of 2nd gear, it clearly isn't entertaining and beyond being good technically, this delivered nothing. Also there was no storyline to talk about with this which hurt the story (actually i lie, it didn't exist).

I'm sorry you weren't entertained by the match. I thought it was a good match, it didn't live up to my expectations at all, but I took it for what it was. Like I said before, I think the match fell short because of the heel turn. It told a decent story leading up to WM in my opinion. Sure, very small build up but it was there. The SmackDown before WM, when AJ faked the forearm and Shin covered, then AJ patted him on the head...you could see during that moment, it pissed Shin off.
(start at 0:43)

You see the emotion Shin showed, that he was clearly upset that AJ patted him on the head and walked away grinning. To be honest, we shouldn't have been surprised by the Naka turn. That was a very small sample of what was to come. If you look back at their WK match after Shin won, AJ kneels to Shin to show his respect while Shin also kneels to give his respect back. After AJ won at WM, Shin kneels to AJ to give him his title while showing respect, but AJ doesn't kneel back, instead holding the title over Shin's head and patting him on the shoulder...Disrespect right there and thus the heel turn. We discussed this on another forum I'm on and people seemed to agree. The match was good but not great. It didn't live up to the hype but it told a story. The next match they have, it'll likely live up to expectations due to the face heel dynamic it'll create.

Just my thoughts. I think more could have been done with these two at Mania but you gotta trust and hope that they have a bigger payout for us in the near future. :lol:
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."

Return to Pro Wrestling