ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who's Your Daddy?!

Capn'O
35%
DK
6%
KoC
3%
NLR
6%
GONYK
15%
Moocow
12%
Remi
6%
KT
15%
Thorn
No votes
Thugger
3%

Total votes: 34

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Re: 2017/2018 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.) 

Post#1741 » by NoLayupRule » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:18 pm

Jermey grant has really impressed me

He would be a great sf / pf option for us
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1742 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:36 pm

I know someone else said it first but Mario Hezona and Jermi Grant would be a great offseason for us
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,328

Post#1743 » by drekwins » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Does anyone else think that there's a chance of the Knicks making a play for Klay Thompson? Klay is going to demand a huge extension pretty soon.

The Knicks can actually create a good amount of cap space this off-season IF Kanter opts out. If that happens, the Knicks can absorb salary if needed. I could see something along the lines of the 1st Pick + THJ or Nitilikina + THJR + Future lottery protected pick for Klay?

It's really not THAT much different than what OKC got for Harden (Martin, Lamb and 2 first round picks)
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#1744 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Is there a chance Klay Thompson would laugh in the face of the Knicks if they made an offer? Oh yeah. About a 98% chance. :lol:

There's NO WAY any top flight free agent would come to the Knicks after the way Carmelo Anthony was treated. This is why the Knicks outbid themselves for the services of Amare, Noah, and Tim Hardaway Jr...

If the Knicks are satisfied with drafting from the lower hand, not to be confused with the upper hand...they're going to continue to get the next Jordan Hill, Landry Fields, Renaldo Balkman, Danilo Gallinari, Mardy Collins, Channing Frye, David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Mike Sweetney...

Before anyone brings up Knicks history of trading future draft picks, that was NEVER to move up but to take someone else's garbage off their hands and accelerate THEIR rebuilding.

The Knicks failed TWICE to move up and grab Russell Westbrook and Steph Curry. Want to know what position the Knicks haven't addressed in almost 20 years? Point Guard.

The Knicks are NOT going to get a miracle in this year's draft but if their GM can use his influence in his other stops to orchestrate a swap with assets included and future draft pick, then the Knicks can move FORWARD instead of the tradition of moving in place.
RShahNyC89
Junior
And1: 404

Post#1745 » by RShahNyC89 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:47 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:I know someone else said it first but Mario Hezona and Jermi Grant would be a great offseason for us

Please god no more investment in the role players before the foundation pieces.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1746 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:56 pm

RShahNyC89 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:I know someone else said it first but Mario Hezona and Jermi Grant would be a great offseason for us

who, pray tell, is the foundational piece that you think we should or could target?

we have to wait on KP to return, we have Frank and this years pick developing, we have THjr and Mudiay and Burke and potential Kanter and KOQ

you think were signing Kawhi this summer?
do you think Grant would prevent that?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1747 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Is there a chance Klay Thompson would laugh in the face of the Knicks if they made an offer? Oh yeah. About a 98% chance. :lol:

There's NO WAY any top flight free agent would come to the Knicks after the way Carmelo Anthony was treated. This is why the Knicks outbid themselves for the services of Amare, Noah, and Tim Hardaway Jr...

If the Knicks are satisfied with drafting from the lower hand, not to be confused with the upper hand...they're going to continue to get the next Jordan Hill, Landry Fields, Renaldo Balkman, Danilo Gallinari, Mardy Collins, Channing Frye, David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Mike Sweetney...

Before anyone brings up Knicks history of trading future draft picks, that was NEVER to move up but to take someone else's garbage off their hands and accelerate THEIR rebuilding.

The Knicks failed TWICE to move up and grab Russell Westbrook and Steph Curry. Want to know what position the Knicks haven't addressed in almost 20 years? Point Guard.

The Knicks are NOT going to get a miracle in this year's draft but if their GM can use his influence in his other stops to orchestrate a swap with assets included and future draft pick, then the Knicks can move FORWARD instead of the tradition of moving in place.

well once again you make declarative statements that are not fact but you present them as such

we failed to move up to get Curry or Westbrook
true
also the teams who drafted those players knew what they were doing and didn't want to make a trade

it wasn't in our hands

its patently untrue that "There's NO WAY any top flight free agent would come to the Knicks after the way Carmelo Anthony was treated"

no, you are once again making assumptions and calling them facts

players move, GMs move, Phil is gone, players love to play in NYC, etc

give it a rest
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,328

Post#1748 » by drekwins » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:42 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Is there a chance Klay Thompson would laugh in the face of the Knicks if they made an offer? Oh yeah. About a 98% chance. :lol:

well once again you make declarative statements that are not fact but you present them as such

we failed to move up to get Curry or Westbrook
true
also the teams who drafted those players knew what they were doing and didn't want to make a trade

it wasn't in our hands

its patently untrue that "There's NO WAY any top flight free agent would come to the Knicks after the way Carmelo Anthony was treated"

no, you are once again making assumptions and calling them facts

players move, GMs move, Phil is gone, players love to play in NYC, etc

give it a rest

The thing is... hindsight is 20/20. Everyone thought that Westbrook was a reach where he was picked. He was FAR from a sure-thing. Hell, 3 years into his career, 3/4ths of this board hated him and thought he was terrible. Furthermore, the Knicks back then had NO ASSETS. Literally, nothing. No one was willing to pay a premium for anything that we had and we didn't have enough "medium-range assets" to swap for top picks. The closest thing we've had to assets were Frye, Gallinari, Chandler and Fields.

Now, we have KP (who has top 10 trade value), Ntilikina, this years pick, etc. We are finally getting some truly valuable pieces. So, if we wanted to, we could definitely pull off a trade for a star. I think that Klay is an interesting one because: 1) I think that his ability to be a number 1 is in question. 2) I don't think many teams will be willing to give up Kyrie type assets because of that 3) he fits into the modern NBA 3-ball philosiphy and 4) He's a two-way player. For our best 2 players to be two-way guys is very rare.

So, I'm not saying I want it to happen but I'm not saying that I don't either. It would be an interesting combo to see KP with Klay. We'd be a PG away from being unstoppable. If we think Franks that guy, I wouldn't be opposed to: 2018 unprotected 1st, 2020 lottery protected first and THjr. A top 3 of KP, Klay and Ntilikina would cause fits on both ends.
RShahNyC89
Junior
And1: 404

Post#1749 » by RShahNyC89 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
RShahNyC89 wrote:

who, pray tell, is the foundational piece that you think we should or could target?

we have to wait on KP to return, we have Frank and this years pick developing, we have THjr and Mudiay and Burke and potential Kanter and KOQ

you think were signing Kawhi this summer?
do you think Grant would prevent that?

I don't think we're getting Kawhi or any free agent pipe dream this year. Doesn't mean we should blow our load on role players.

We have KP out for the majority of next year hopefully. Develop Frank and this year's pick, get a good pick next year. Those three with KP is our foundation.

Instead of adding someone blah like Grant, I'd rather hold onto our flexibility and try to rob teams desperate to create a maxx slot or two this year/next year's deadline. Likely, the year after KP gets his MAX, is our blow our load year. That was the previous front office's failure at recognizing how to maximize talent to cap space. This is the best we can do now, I just would like to see that same forward thinking from our front office.

I don't think we'd ever be able to pull off a Philly rebuild but we can do our version of it.

At least with KP, Frank, potentially a Mikal/Myles this year and a top 5 pick next year, we'd go into a free agency with controlled young pieces for a change instead of mixed/matched veteran role players at >10 mil a pop.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#1750 » by br7knicks » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:55 pm

would you guys take on luol deng's contract if it came with that 25th pick?

maybe i'm not totally sure on contract lengths, but isn't noah's contract finished when deng's is? knicks aren't going to have a lot of FA room as long as they have noah's contract, why not try to grab another pick? only thing i recall is them saying that they're contemplating using the stretch on him, which would negate the purpose of getting deng with that 25th pick

try to sell timmy to them? why not kanter?
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
br7knicks

Post#1751 » by br7knicks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 am

NoLayupRule wrote:Jermey grant has really impressed me

i'd rather have him than beasley as the starting SF/PF of this team. whats he going to demand tho
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#1752 » by br7knicks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 am

if kanter and paul george opt out, what else do the knicks have to shed to give PG a realistic offer?

i know knicks have .33% chance of george wanting to come to NY, but hes one of the few players out there that i like

it looks like projected salary cap is about $101 million. knicks are at just about ~$100 million. if kanter, baker, and koq opt out, that puts knicks at just under $73 million. that enough for PG? or am i missing something? contract of 2018 rookie?
RIP, magnumt '19

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,509

Post#1753 » by Fat Kat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:27 am

br7knicks wrote:if kanter and paul george opt out, what else do the knicks have to shed to give PG a realistic offer?

i know knicks have .33% chance of george wanting to come to NY, but hes one of the few players out there that i like

it looks like projected salary cap is about $101 million. knicks are at just about ~$100 million. if kanter, baker, and koq opt out, that puts knicks at just under $73 million. that enough for PG? or am i missing something? contract of 2018 rookie?

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1754 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:41 am

br7knicks wrote:

i'd rather have him than beasley as the starting SF/PF of this team. whats he going to demand tho
a way better option

hes a solid defender for sure

hes gonna want some cash but he deserves it

id offer him 12 a year for 3 + 1
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1755 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:51 am

We already have Troy Williams who I think is better. Hopefully we are drafting a F also. I also wouldn’t mind Beasley back on a friendly contract.

But grant is a nice player if we don’t bring back Beasley or Troy.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1756 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 am

RShahNyC89 wrote:

This.

Giving Hardaway a 17 mil contract was already a mistake. We need to better manage our money and save it for a real star or at least draft another star and look to add role players later.

We have a cheap version of Jeremi Grant in Troy Williams. No reason to toss 10 million on another role player when we are still paying Lance/Lee/Baker/Noah/Hardaway/Oquinn?/Kanter?/Beasley?

Have enough role players here. Just need another game changer or two before we start tossing out more money.

Oquinn is great for the locker room. I think he’s worth bringing back. Beasley on a Lance type of contact is worth bringing back also. Then fill in the pieces and look to move Lance/Lee to make up for Oquinn and Beasley’s contracts or wait for them to expire.

Year 2020 we should be looking to add a big free agent or two when Noah/Lee/Lance/Baker/Kanter are all off the books.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,155

Post#1757 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:30 am

Tank our asses off. Sign some guys on some Robert Covington contracts. 4 lotto picks.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1758 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:33 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
RShahNyC89 wrote:

This.

Giving Hardaway a 17 mil contract was already a mistake. We need to better manage our money and save it for a real star or at least draft another star and look to add role players later.

We have a cheap version of Jeremi Grant in Troy Williams. No reason to toss 10 million on another role player when we are still paying Lance/Lee/Baker/Noah/Hardaway/Oquinn?/Kanter?/Beasley?

Have enough role players here. Just need another game changer or two before we start tossing out more money.

Oquinn is great for the locker room. I think he’s worth bringing back. Beasley on a Lance type of contact is worth bringing back also. Then fill in the pieces and look to move Lance/Lee to make up for Oquinn and Beasley’s contracts or wait for them to expire.

Year 2020 we should be looking to add a big free agent or two when Noah/Lee/Lance/Baker/Kanter are all off the books.

fans have become accountants

sad and boring
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,155

Post#1759 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:25 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
RShahNyC89 wrote:

This.

fans have become accountants

sad and boring

Accounting and winning is more fun than spending foolishly and losing.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1760 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 am

I got a name.
He’s 25-ish. He’s a natural small forward that plays power forward and center. Former first round pick.
Lefty. Had good stints for a championship organization a few years back...I think he ended up in China.
A regular old Scott Perry bring-em-back from the dead reclamation project. I’m sure he’ll take the minimum.

No, not Michael Beasley.
Terrence Jones. I never understood his career.
He always played well when I saw him.
He improved his range and added to his game but he could never stick. He’s not the scorer Bucket is (who is?) but he’s a better defender (who isn’t?) for sure.
We aren’t trying to break the bank and we aren’t gonna blow our draft wad on a four (unless you consider Miles a four—which he isn’t) so why not take a flier on a skilled, experienced, versatile 25 year old ex-Caliparian forward? I think he’d be a good placeholder at the four til
KP makes it back. And maybe he carves out a role for us going forward.

Return to New York Knicks