ImageImageImageImage

trading dez bryant?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: trading dez bryant? 

Post#21 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Can you guys help me out with something? What is the absolute best deal we can get regarding the Dez situation and his contract? I know re-doing his contract is one option but I honestly believe he won't accept a pay cut. Is there still a chance we could still get a last minute offer on him regarding a trade and make out o.k., or is still a post June 1st cut the best option to lower the cap hit this year and next? I'm trying to be financially responsible here while not considering how I feel about his talent, etc,.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#22 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Looks like today we may find out the fate of Dez Bryant. Meeting with Jerry and apparently they have had some trade offers this off season. Personally, I'd like to see Jerry do a straight up business decision in this case. But we all know how Jerry caves in with certain players if he has an unhealthy man crush on them.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#23 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 pm

He's not getting traded. He has no trade value. The best we can expect today is an understanding that his cap hit this year will be reduced one way or another. I honestly hope Jerry can get him to understand the benefits of redoing his deal... and maybe even doing something that benefits the team AND Dez (more years).

But - if he refuses to do something that gives them additional cap space to do the additional work they have to do (like resigning Martin), then he's gone. And if that happens, he will be designated as a June 1 cut. If that happens, good luck getting the kind of money he thinks he's worth. It ain't happening.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#24 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:He's not getting traded. He has no trade value. The best we can expect today is an understanding that his cap hit this year will be reduced one way or another. I honestly hope Jerry can get him to understand the benefits of redoing his deal... and maybe even doing something that benefits the team AND Dez (more years).

But - if he refuses to do something that gives them additional cap space to do the additional work they have to do (like resigning Martin), then he's gone. And if that happens, he will be designated as a June 1 cut. If that happens, good luck getting the kind of money he thinks he's worth. It ain't happening.

Is there a possible plan -C here we all aren't seeing yet? After all, we are dealing with Jerry. :gossip:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:He's not getting traded. He has no trade value. The best we can expect today is an understanding that his cap hit this year will be reduced one way or another. I honestly hope Jerry can get him to understand the benefits of redoing his deal... and maybe even doing something that benefits the team AND Dez (more years).

Is there a possible plan -C here we all aren't seeing yet? After all, we are dealing with Jerry. :gossip:

I'll wait for the white smoke from Frisco. I have more pressing issues to address... like a new hockey coach.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm

I would have thought it might be about your Rangers. Especially the way they are hitting.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Well - that didn't take long.

Dez cut.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

And - it appears that reworking his contract wasn't a consideration. Just decided it was time to move on.
#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#29 » by #1TKfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Love the decision. New title for thread?
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#30 » by gravytrain24 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:58 pm

I at least thought they would have tried to restructure or do a pay cut. The crazy thing in Jerry's statement was that he said other people thought it would be best for them to get rid of him and go a different direction. It feels that Jerry got out voted or something.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#31 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Finally !!!! Been wanting to get rid of Dez for 4 years. Yee haa. Maybe he can get a mop job in Seattle.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:52 pm

#1TKfan wrote:Love the decision. New title for thread?

Adios Dez Bryant has a nice ring to it...
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:57 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:I at least thought they would have tried to restructure or do a pay cut. The crazy thing in Jerry's statement was that he said other people thought it would be best for them to get rid of him and go a different direction. It feels that Jerry got out voted or something.

Sounds to me like "someone" decided he wasn't worth the headache anymore. And with all his bitchin' about "Garrett's Captains", sounds like he had worn out his welcome among certain segments of the room.

It was just time to move on. And I'm OK with taking the cap hit now instead of over the next 2 years. He and Romo both come off the books next season. $16.9M in cap space immediately. Just in time to pay Zeke and (if he earns it this season) Dak.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#34 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:50 pm

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rocking: :rocking: :rocking: :beer: :party: :wave:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:41 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Finally !!!! Been wanting to get rid of Dez for 4 years. Yee haa. Maybe he can get a mop job in Seattle.

:kissmybutt:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#36 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:47 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Finally !!!! Been wanting to get rid of Dez for 4 years. Yee haa. Maybe he can get a mop job in Seattle.

:kissmybutt:

:lol:
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by gravytrain24 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:40 pm

I feel like i'm the only guy who's going to miss Dez. I appreciated his passion and I think he could have grew with Dak but I think the coaches just aren't capable of putting players in the best spots to succeed. I hope he does well and goes somewhere in the AFC.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:59 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:I feel like i'm the only guy who's going to miss Dez. I appreciated his passion and I think he could have grew with Dak but I think the coaches just aren't capable of putting players in the best spots to succeed. I hope he does well and goes somewhere in the AFC.

I guess you are. And after listening to his rants about "Garrett's guys", I'll miss him even less. And after his comments essentially saying he has motivation "now"... and working with a route coach "now"...

I'm sorry. I won't miss this one damn bit. The man had ample opportunity to prove his value and failed. And as easy as it is to blame coaching (it's really easy and deserved in many cases) the reality is he's a player in decline. The numbers scream it. And as much as I would love to remember those playoff games against Green Bay I also remember all those games last season when he flat out dropped passes game after game.

I hope he does go somewhere and succeeds. But if cutting him is what it took to put a burr under his ass to play better, then coaching wasn't going to fix that here. Not as long as he could bypass the coaches and go straight to Jerry. That makes him T.O. And I sure as hell don't want to go through THAT again.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by gravytrain24 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:I feel like i'm the only guy who's going to miss Dez. I appreciated his passion and I think he could have grew with Dak but I think the coaches just aren't capable of putting players in the best spots to succeed. I hope he does well and goes somewhere in the AFC.

I guess you are. And after listening to his rants about "Garrett's guys", I'll miss him even less. And after his comments essentially saying he has motivation "now"... and working with a route coach "now"...

I'm sorry. I won't miss this one damn bit. The man had ample opportunity to prove his value and failed. And as easy as it is to blame coaching (it's really easy and deserved in many cases) the reality is he's a player in decline. The numbers scream it. And as much as I would love to remember those playoff games against Green Bay I also remember all those games last season when he flat out dropped passes game after game.

I hope he does go somewhere and succeeds. But if cutting him is what it took to put a burr under his ass to play better, then coaching wasn't going to fix that here. Not as long as he could bypass the coaches and go straight to Jerry. That makes him T.O. And I sure as hell don't want to go through THAT again.

But where there's smoke there's fire. Although Butler wasn't a crucial part he also stated that the coaches were limited and didn't put the players in the best situation. Dez says he just wanted to be honest with people and for them to be honest back and that didn't happen. Isn't Garrett considered a players coach b/c he's definitely not an X's and O's type guy, so some of this, maybe most of this is him. Or is he going to use this as a, we really didn't have a true number one receiver, so this is why our offense struggled. The guy was open to a paycut but wasn't it wasn't it option, they dragged him along and yes it's a business but it seems like Jerry would have taken care of this a long time ago but the "others" made it a longer situation then it needed to be.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

But where there's smoke there's fire. Although Butler wasn't a crucial part he also stated that the coaches were limited and didn't put the players in the best situation. Dez says he just wanted to be honest with people and for them to be honest back and that didn't happen. Isn't Garrett considered a players coach b/c he's definitely not an X's and O's type guy, so some of this, maybe most of this is him. Or is he going to use this as a, we really didn't have a true number one receiver, so this is why our offense struggled. The guy was open to a paycut but wasn't it wasn't it option, they dragged him along and yes it's a business but it seems like Jerry would have taken care of this a long time ago but the "others" made it a longer situation then it needed to be.

Won't get any argument about Garrett from me. But Dez making those "Garrett's Guys" comment serves one purpose only and that's to divide the room... no differently than T.O. 10 years ago. As far as Butler... he fancied himself a #1 receiver. He wasn't... and isn't. I'll be interested in hearing from more of the room besides the "leaders" and how they perceived things... and if there is a clear divide. And once again - all those dropped passes last season weren't a result of not "putting the players in the best position".

One other "interesting" perspective... FWIW.

Return to Dallas Cowboys