Gary Trent Jr.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Gary Trent Jr. 

Post#1 » by Catchall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Five-star recruit shot 40% from 3-pt on 6 attempts per game for Duke, becoming Duke's primary wing shooter. Good size at 6'6" for a 2-guard.

Averaged 14.5 / 4.2 / 1.4 / 1.2 stl / 88% FT% as a freshman playing off of Bagley, Carter, Allen and Duval.

Where do people think he'll get drafted?

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Re: Gary Trent Jr. 

Post#2 » by 916fan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:12 pm

I think he goes somewhere between 15-25.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#3 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Wouldn't touch him before 40.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#4 » by Catchall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Wouldn't touch him before 40.

Why? I think he goes in the vicinity of Troy Brown--e.g., 19-25. Teams love shooting, and it looks like Trent Jr. can also handle a bit.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Catchall wrote:

Why? I think he goes in the vicinity of Troy Brown--e.g., 19-25. Teams love shooting, and it looks like Trent Jr. can also handle a bit.

Bad lateral quickness mixed with horrible defensive IQ and awareness, leads to little to no defensive potential. Offensively he doesn't move that we'll off the ball and he is a very streaky 3pt shooter, when he's hot he's really hot but he can also have long cold stretches (this wasn't just a college thing, he has always been a streaky shooter). His handle is below average at best for a 2 guard and didn't shoot it well inside of the 3pt arc. He's at the very tail end of all the guards and combo guards that I think we are going to see at the end of the 1st round and early 2nd round.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#6 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Bad lateral quickness mixed with horrible defensive IQ and awareness, leads to little to no defensive potential. Offensively he doesn't move that we'll off the ball and he is a very streaky 3pt shooter, when he's hot he's really hot but he can also have long cold stretches (this wasn't just a college thing, he has always been a streaky shooter). His handle is below average at best for a 2 guard and didn't shoot it well inside of the 3pt arc. He's at the very tail end of all the guards and combo guards that I think we are going to see at the end of the 1st round and early 2nd round.
agreed. He's really bad defensively, and offensively he's purely a spot up shooter, but he's not a knockdown shooter, yet anyway. Think the last 1st early 2nd is in his range.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#7 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Courtney Lee potential
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#8 » by OGLife » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 pm

I see Gordon potential. Stop focusing so much on defensive potential and appreciate what he’s capable of on the offensive side. He has 6MOTY potential. Draft and develop him in the G League for a year and reevaluate him the following season
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I think he's an early 2nd round pick.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#10 » by Catchall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:20 pm

A lot of similar criticisms were also directed at Devin Booker -- "He's only a shooter, he can't defend, he's not athletic enough, he can't create, etc." Trent had more usage, twice the rebounds and a better steal rate than Booker. He's a volume shooter. But when you get into the 20s of the draft, most players you're looking at have question marks and drawbacks.

Trent looks like a rotation player that should become consistent enough to space the floor.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm

+1
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Catchall wrote:A lot of similar criticisms were also directed at Devin Booker -- "He's only a shooter, he can't defend, he's not athletic enough, he can't create, etc." Trent had more usage, twice the rebounds and a better steal rate than Booker. He's a volume shooter. But when you get into the 20s of the draft, most players you're looking at have question marks and drawbacks.

Trent looks like a rotation player that should become consistent enough to space the floor.

I never got the athletic stuff when it came to Booker. Booker wasnt a leaper but the dude always moved very well even in high school, his combine athletic numbers ended up backing that up as well where he had some of the best lane agility times in the entire draft that year. Trent plays very slow and very stiff on both sides of the ball. Booker was also the much more versatile scorer where he showed some ability to hit shots other than just open catch and shoot 3s. A higher percentage of Booker's shots came inside the 3pt arc and he finished those shots at a much higher efficiency compared to Trent. And I wouldnt take anything Trent did defensively as any type of positive, I have a hard time remembering a player coming into Duke with as bad of defensive awareness as him. Booker also moved much better off the ball than Trent.

I think Trent can give you a guy that can hit spot up 3s, thats about it.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#13 » by EvanZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Catchall wrote:A lot of similar criticisms were also directed at Devin Booker -- "He's only a shooter, he can't defend, he's not athletic enough, he can't create, etc." Trent had more usage, twice the rebounds and a better steal rate than Booker. He's a volume shooter. But when you get into the 20s of the draft, most players you're looking at have question marks and drawbacks.

Booker can't defend, so at least that part was right. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#14 » by GimmeDat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:34 pm

Maybe Trent is Booker 2.0 in disguise... or at least somewhat underutilized/underappreciated, but I haven't seen anything from him that says to me that he's more than a high level spot up shooter. He doesn't seem like an ultra-versatile shooter, he's no sneaky athlete, and he doesn't have much on-ball dynamism or other high level facets to his scoring game. Couple that with bad defense, and he just seems like a dime a dozen rotation player at best.

I have him 40+ as well. Don't see anything special about him.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#15 » by 916fan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:59 am

clyde21 wrote:

+1

I think you guys are underrating him. The NBA will always have a need for 3pt shooters with size. The SG class also looks on the weaker side. Hard to name more than 5 SGs better than him.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#16 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:10 am

Anyone compare him to Crabbe yet?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 am

916fan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

+1

I think you guys are underrating him. The NBA will always have a need for 3pt shooters with size. The SG class also looks on the weaker side. Hard to name more than 5 SGs better than him.

SG might actually be the deepest position.

Doncic
Bridges
Smith
Walker
Trent Jr.
Brown
DiVincenzo (maybe)
Diallo
Allen

and then you have the combo guards like Thomas, Shamet, Simons, Milton, Calebs, etc.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 am

clyde21 wrote:
916fan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
+1

SG might actually be the deepest position.

Doncic
Bridges
Smith
Walker
Trent Jr.
Brown
DiVincenzo (maybe)
Diallo
Allen

and then you have the combo guards like Thomas, Shamet, Simons, Milton, Calebs, etc.

I'm taking all of the guys on the 1st list before Trent without hesitation. Also add Svi to that list as well. Svi is better than Trent in basically every category and has a huge size and athleticism advantage over him.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#19 » by King Ken » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:20 am

Me personally, I am not a fan but I am not a fan of Devin Booker either. He's in that mold. Very good shooter who's a scorer. Is a chucker. Doesn't really play within the system. Good athlete. Better NBA prospect than college prospect. I wouldn't touch him for the Hawks but once those workouts start, and he translates, he will end up a lottery pick. Just too gifted of a shooter and scorer.

Better handler than D4L831 is giving him but as a Duke fan, he's a frustrating player we would have rather have as a 6th man than a starter considering our personnel.

I hear names like Booker, Eric Gordon, and even guys like Jordan Crawford.

Overall, he has good BBIQ on offense but defensively, he can be a mess and really can be a net negative. Like I said, not my cup of tea. I like offensive players but I like them to show versatility. Trent doesn't. He's not a bad passer but he's a last option passer at this stage.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#20 » by King Ken » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

I never got the athletic stuff when it came to Booker. Booker wasnt a leaper but the dude always moved very well even in high school, his combine athletic numbers ended up backing that up as well where he had some of the best lane agility times in the entire draft that year. Trent plays very slow and very stiff on both sides of the ball. Booker was also the much more versatile scorer where he showed some ability to hit shots other than just open catch and shoot 3s. A higher percentage of Booker's shots came inside the 3pt arc and he finished those shots at a much higher efficiency compared to Trent. And I wouldnt take anything Trent did defensively as any type of positive, I have a hard time remembering a player coming into Duke with as bad of defensive awareness as him. Booker also moved much better off the ball than Trent.

I think Trent can give you a guy that can hit spot up 3s, thats about it.

I clearly think you are on to something. I really need to look at Booker's numbers again. From what I remember, my view point on both players was similar at this point. The combine is what changed my views on Booker.

Return to NBA Draft