Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KingSM_25
Freshman
And1: 35

Re: Trade ideas for Gorgui ? 

Post#41 » by KingSM_25 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:23 am

Bucketgetter wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Bucketgetter wrote:That's all we are, fans. So we would have no way of knowing if he is ready or not. That's my point.

So it's a stretch for the team to slot him as the third big because the fans don't know if he's ready or not?

I'll make it simple for you. You answered the question, "If Taj is injured next year, can we really count on Justin Patton as our starter?" with "I think so". There's simply no way of knowing if he is that good yet because we are fans and have barely seen him.

Honestly, you could slot any in as a starter who can fill a certain role. With KAT, Wiggins, Butler, and Teague you don't need a proven guy starting alongside of them. From the games I have watched of Patton and with another off season of training there is no doubt in my mind that he can contribute right away. Watch his games from Creighton and then compare him to his time in Iowa. He's not playing top NBA level talent, but he doesn't need to be to look at his skill set on the court. By watching an Iowa game it doesn't take long to see the difference Patton would make in his shot blocking abilities alone.
Bucketgetter
Pro Prospect
And1: 197

Post#42 » by Bucketgetter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 am

KingSM_25 wrote:
Bucketgetter wrote:
Klomp wrote:So it's a stretch for the team to slot him as the third big because the fans don't know if he's ready or not?

I'll make it simple for you. You answered the question, "If Taj is injured next year, can we really count on Justin Patton as our starter?" with "I think so". There's simply no way of knowing if he is that good yet because we are fans and have barely seen him.

Honestly, you could slot any in as a starter who can fill a certain role. With KAT, Wiggins, Butler, and Teague you don't need a proven guy starting alongside of them. From the games I have watched of Patton and with another off season of training there is no doubt in my mind that he can contribute right away. Watch his games from Creighton and then compare him to his time in Iowa. He's not playing top NBA level talent, but he doesn't need to be to look at his skill set on the court. By watching an Iowa game it doesn't take long to see the difference Patton would make in his shot blocking abilities alone.

Then why the hell is he not playing? You don't think we could use a guy who is ready to contribute right away as the 3rd big?
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#43 » by PharmD » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 pm

shrink wrote:It amazes me how negative many of you are on Gorgui Dieng -- much more negative than even neutral fans who are posting right now on the trade board.

Go read it.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1697735

If homers are biased, anti-homers can be just as biased.

They haven't seen him play nearly as much as we have this year.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,011

Post#44 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Bucketgetter wrote:Then why the hell is he not playing? You don't think we could use a guy who is ready to contribute right away as the 3rd big?

Because you missed the four words before what you bolded.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:47 pm

PharmD wrote:They haven't seen him play nearly as much as we have this year.

Amazing how fans can be so stat-based when it comes to arguing against one guy (Wiggins) but do a full 180 and be eye test-based to argue against another (Dieng).

I guess whatever works to fit your own narratives....
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,006

Post#46 » by AirP. » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Klomp wrote:

Amazing how fans can be so stat-based when it comes to arguing against one guy (Wiggins) but do a full 180 and be eye test-based to argue against another (Dieng).

The eye test isn't kind to Wiggins if you actually watch him outside of the highlights.

Dieng is "fine", he's just doesn't work well next to Towns. Of 2 man combinations with Towns, Dieng is 9th in +/- at +.9, while +3.1 with Bjelica and +7.9 with Gibson.
KingSM_25
Freshman

Post#47 » by KingSM_25 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Bucketgetter wrote:
KingSM_25 wrote:
Bucketgetter wrote:I'll make it simple for you. You answered the question, "If Taj is injured next year, can we really count on Justin Patton as our starter?" with "I think so". There's simply no way of knowing if he is that good yet because we are fans and have barely seen him.

Then why the hell is he not playing? You don't think we could use a guy who is ready to contribute right away as the 3rd big?

Because he was never cleared of his full minute restriction thing. I think they are just playing it on the safe side with him. You don't want to rush back a 7ft and then he ends up like Embiid and waiting 3 years to play a game. If he never got hurt before the year. I believe that we would have seen him for short periods of time this year.
KingSM_25
Freshman

Post#48 » by KingSM_25 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 pm

AirP. wrote:
Klomp wrote:

The eye test isn't kind to Wiggins if you actually watch him outside of the highlights.

Dieng is "fine", he's just doesn't work well next to Towns. Of 2 man combinations with Towns, Dieng is 9th in +/- at +.9, while +3.1 with Bjelica and +7.9 with Gibson.

Dieng is the definition of average. Everything he does is average. The only thing that Is above average is his mid range game. The difference between Wiggins and Dieng is age and athleticism. No matter what everyone thinks, the Wolves would be able to trade Wiggins in a heartbeat if they wanted to. Athletes like him just don't grow on trees. He's young enough for a rebuilding team to want and he's good enough for a contender looking to get younger ala Spurs
Bucketgetter
Pro Prospect

Post#49 » by Bucketgetter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Klomp wrote:
Bucketgetter wrote:Then why the hell is he not playing? You don't think we could use a guy who is ready to contribute right away as the 3rd big?

With another offseason training? Why is it fair to assume he's going to automatically improve in the off season? You keep proving my point for me, thank you. That we have no idea if he is ready or not. You guys are just saying what you wish would happen.
Bucketgetter
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by Bucketgetter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 pm

KingSM_25 wrote:
Bucketgetter wrote:
KingSM_25 wrote:

Because he was never cleared of his full minute restriction thing. I think they are just playing it on the safe side with him. You don't want to rush back a 7ft and then he ends up like Embiid and waiting 3 years to play a game. If he never got hurt before the year. I believe that we would have seen him for short periods of time this year.

Lol so this is all just you guessing what is happening. Thanks guys for making my point. That fans don't know what is going on so we can't make some judgements when we don't have enough information.

As for the facts, Patton played 38 games averaging over 23 minutes a game for Iowa. Obviously you can still be on a minutes restriction and play. That's what it's for, to manage your minutes while you play so you don't go over. Patton was also active for the Timberwolves during the end of the season, and only managed to play in 1 game for 4 minutes, in garbage time. And that was a period when we were dealing with multiple injuries and losing a lot of games.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 am

Bucketgetter wrote:
Klomp wrote:

With another offseason training? Why is it fair to assume he's going to automatically improve in the off season? You keep proving my point for me, thank you. That we have no idea if he is ready or not. You guys are just saying what you wish would happen.

He took a sizable jump from his redshirt freshman year at Creighton to this year in Creighton. Why is it a stretch to believe that he can keep improving?

I've never said he's going to automatically improve. Guess what? You don't know if anyone in the NBA is going to improve or regress. I guess we shouldn't count on Towns and Butler to play well next year either. We're just saying what we wish will happen.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,796

Post#52 » by shrink » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 am

AirP. wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Was that true last year, when Gorgui played a large sample of minutes next to Towns vs other starters?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,796

Post#53 » by shrink » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 am

Klomp wrote:

Exactly. Narratives. I think that fans have to fight their biases. If you are a big KAT or Tyus, yet the team loses, fans tend to scapegoat their favorite target to fit their emotional narrative.

We see individual posters on our own boards that blast a specific guy, over and over again. For some it's Dieng, others it's Teague, others it's Wiggins.

I think people can have homer-love for certain players on their favorite team, but they can also have homer-hate for players on their own team too.

I like to read this board, and the trade board, to get a more balanced view of a player's value. I agree that local fans see a player more, but neutral fans over there sometimes give me a less emotional perspective of a player's true value.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,006

Post#54 » by AirP. » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:42 am

shrink wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Klomp wrote:Amazing how fans can be so stat-based when it comes to arguing against one guy (Wiggins) but do a full 180 and be eye test-based to argue against another (Dieng).

Was that true last year, when Gorgui played a large sample of minutes next to Towns vs other starters?

It was a little better last year, +1.8, still not that close to Gibson this year.
Bucketgetter
Pro Prospect

Post#55 » by Bucketgetter » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 am

Klomp wrote:
Bucketgetter wrote:
Klomp wrote:Because you missed the four words before what you bolded.

He took a sizable jump from his redshirt freshman year at Creighton to this year in Creighton. Why is it a stretch to believe that he can keep improving?

I've never said he's going to automatically improve. Guess what? You don't know if anyone in the NBA is going to improve or regress. I guess we shouldn't count on Towns and Butler to play well next year either. We're just saying what we wish will happen.

Just a terrible comparison lol. Towns and Butler don't have to get better, they could come back the exact same and be all star players. Patton isn't good enough right now to even crack the rotation. It just doesn't make sense to assume he'll automatically make improvements. I feel like being a wolves fan you would understand that, but I guess not lol.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:49 am

Bucketgetter wrote:Patton isn't good enough right now to even crack the rotation. It just doesn't make sense to assume he'll automatically make improvements. I feel like being a wolves fan you would understand that, but I guess not lol.

Was Ben Simmons good enough to crack the Sixers rotation last year?

Bucketgetter
Pro Prospect

Post#57 » by Bucketgetter » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 am

Klomp wrote:
Bucketgetter wrote:Patton isn't good enough right now to even crack the rotation. It just doesn't make sense to assume he'll automatically make improvements. I feel like being a wolves fan you would understand that, but I guess not lol.

Was Ben Simmons good enough to crack the Sixers rotation last year?

Yeah. He was hurt the entire year. Didn't play any games for the 76ers or in D/G League. Patton is healthy. He has played a lot in Iowa, and in just 1 game for 4 minutes for the Wolves.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:43 am

Bucketgetter wrote:Patton is healthy.

The fact he was on a minutes restriction all season long says otherwise.

But whatever, I think we're talking past each other and have been for awhile. I doubt we'll come to an agreement, and that's okay.

Bucketgetter
Pro Prospect

Post#59 » by Bucketgetter » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:49 am

Klomp wrote:

But whatever, I think we're talking past each other and have been for awhile. I doubt we'll come to an agreement, and that's okay.

He played over 23 minutes a game in 38 games for Iowa. He was active for the Timberwolves for many games at the end of the season. You know this right?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:54 am

Bucketgetter wrote:
Klomp wrote:

He played over 23 minutes a game in 38 games for Iowa. He was active for the Timberwolves for many games at the end of the season. You know this right?

Those things don't make my comment not true.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves