Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Omari Spellman 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Read on Twitter

I was much more intrigued before I found out how old he is. But he still has a lot of skill and potential on d for a big. I'd love to see the Warriors take him at 28 if he's there.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Omari Spellman 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Not sure how much attention he would have gotten had he not been on that roster, but his game is solid and definitely worth a early 2nd if not higher imo.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm

I'd take a wing if I am the Warriors and just sign Jared Sullinger

Spellman is fine for a stretch 5, but I worry about he been a bit Speights-y
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 pm

To me, if he really works hard on conditioning, he can be a solid starter in the NBA. And I like that he's more than willing to be physical on defense.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#5 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:To me, if he really works hard on conditioning, he can be a solid starter in the NBA. And I like that he's more than willing to be physical on defense.

He was 275 and really chubby in high school, and I think he's down to 240 and much better shape now, so that's definitely a good sign.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#6 » by kalenclayton » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was much more intrigued before I found out how old he is. But he still has a lot of skill and potential on d for a big. I'd love to see the Warriors take him at 28 if he's there.

I’m confused. He’s 20. How does that make your perception of him less intriguing?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:30 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m confused. He’s 20. How does that make your perception of him less intriguing?

I didn't realize he was a redshirt freshman. And he's going to be 21 in July. So he's realllly old compared to other "Freshman" declaring. If he's 19, like I said, totally different perception.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#8 » by bootsythornton » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 pm

don't love him thats forsure
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#9 » by jonjames » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:06 am

I like him better than higher rated robert williams. Hes got taj gibson potential imo.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#10 » by Upperclass » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:05 am

He's moreso a Trevor Booker or Jason Maxiell with 3pt. range imo.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,228

Post#11 » by azcatz11 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:52 am

He's a 6'9 PF who plays below the rim. I guess he can hit a 3 point shot. He doesn't deserve to be drafted
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:22 am

azcatz11 wrote:He's a 6'9 PF who plays below the rim. I guess he can hit a 3 point shot. He doesn't deserve to be drafted

Care to change your story? The dude is plenty athletic. Only going to get more athletic when he gets on an NBA strength program. A few years ago the kid was 280. He's lost like 30 pounds since then. But even back then he could dunk with authority.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/TLfRnu9MTVU?t=1m33s[/youtube]
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: Omari Spellman 

Post#13 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:22 am

azcatz11 wrote:He's a 6'9 PF who plays below the rim. I guess he can hit a 3 point shot. He doesn't deserve to be drafted

You don't have a clue. He is actually very explosive and a really good defender to go along with his excellent shooting. He is definitely a 1st rd pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#14 » by Hoopz Afrik » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm

How much of him have you watched this season?
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#15 » by GimmeDat » Wed May 16, 2018 2:04 am

He hits 3's at a high level, blocks shots and is an athletic presence. There's definitely stuff to like here. I do think he needs to continue working on that body, but he definitely deserves to be picked.

I'm a little worried he might be reached on in the 1st, I'd have him early 2nd, maybe fringe 1st. But yeah, he's good, I think he'll carve out an NBA career.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#16 » by BlueSan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:13 am

14. Denver - Omari Spellman
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 am

GimmeDat wrote:He hits 3's at a high level, blocks shots and is an athletic presence. There's definitely stuff to like here. I do think he needs to continue working on that body, but he definitely deserves to be picked.

I'm a little worried he might be reached on in the 1st, I'd have him early 2nd, maybe fringe 1st. But yeah, he's good, I think he'll carve out an NBA career.

The rumor is that he’s a first round pick. He fits the modern NBA very well. Solid defender, super athletic, runs the floor, shoots threes and he’s still young. I don’t think he’s an all-star, but he can definitely help a team.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#18 » by GimmeDat » Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 am

doordoor123 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:He hits 3's at a high level, blocks shots and is an athletic presence. There's definitely stuff to like here. I do think he needs to continue working on that body, but he definitely deserves to be picked.

The rumor is that he’s a first round pick. He fits the modern NBA very well. Solid defender, super athletic, runs the floor, shoots threes and he’s still young. I don’t think he’s an all-star, but he can definitely help a team.

Yeah, I was going to mention about you posting that, and it doesn't surprise me that teams see him in that light.

Late 1st I'm cool with him. 20 or above is a reach. I could see the Bulls being in to him at #22, they like college winners, but for some reason he just doesn't stand out to me as a sexy pick given who else might be available in that range. But logically, when you write out the tools he has, he should be a good NBA player.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 am

GimmeDat wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Yeah, I was going to mention about you posting that, and it doesn't surprise me that teams see him in that light.

Late 1st I'm cool with him. 20 or above is a reach. I could see the Bulls being in to him at #22, they like college winners, but for some reason he just doesn't stand out to me as a sexy pick given who else might be available in that range. But logically, when you write out the tools he has, he should be a good NBA player.

If I’m picking players who could play in the playoffs in their first year, he’s on that list for me.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#20 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Someone in another post likened him to Derrick Favors (though he looks a bit more explosive around the basket) with a 3-point shot. I like that comparison a lot. I forget the poster's name.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Return to NBA Draft