ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1 

Post#1641 » by truth18 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:27 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
truth18 wrote:I'm sitting a foot away from Gordon at PAX East. Starcraft conference.

Dork.

Just kidding I love video games. This is the first year since pax east started coming to Boston that I didn't go. :(

My second PAX, I had a lot of fun.

Gordon was incredibly insightful. He's an extremely competitive person and discussed how the nature of Starcraft 1v1s helps him be a better competitor on court. He said that thinking about how many actions you can do per minute is similar to how you have to think about split second decisions in the NBA; one has to consider dozens of events playing out simultaneously while still being in control of the individual action they are pursuing. He also said that conversely to the NBA, he enjoys that it is all on him to win or lose (I guess he mainly 1v1s).

He started playing in school in Indiana but said that his play increased when he first joined the Jazz. He used SC2 as a way to keep in contact with old friends when he had just moved to a new (boring) city with no one he knew.

There was a funny moment when the guy running the panel said: "Everyone up here owes their career to Starcraft in some way" and Gordon raised his hand and said he wasn't sure if thay applies to him :lol: .

As I said in another thread, I was sitting a few feet away from him and right after the discussion finished, a kid behind me boldly went to the stage, asked for, and recieved his autograph. The whole panel had already bailed; it was good on Gordo to do that for a young fan imo.
YOU LOSE
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#1642 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Neutral Milk Hotel: You either love them or want to shoot yourself several times in the head...

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#1643 » by canman1971 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:14 pm

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:Neutral Milk Hotel: You either love them or want to shoot yourself several times in the head...

Reminds me of They Might Be Giants. So, I don't want to shoot myself thankfully. :D
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#1644 » by canman1971 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 pm

This is a awesome short documentary about the Syrian refugee crisis that was done a couple of years ago by Milana Vayntrub (Better known as the voice of AT&T around the same time. It's just under 14 minutes long, but I highly recommend it and if you aren't touched by it, I don't know what to say.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,871

Post#1645 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:44 pm

canman1971 wrote:This is a awesome short documentary about the Syrian refugee crisis that was done a couple of years ago by Milana Vayntrub (Better known as the voice of AT&T around the same time. It's just under 14 minutes long, but I highly recommend it and if you aren't touched by it, I don't know what to say.

That's indeed awesome.

I only knew Milana for this other short video:
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,059

Post#1646 » by PierceFan4ever » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Finally got a chance to watch “A Quiet Place” well worth the hype and the reviews it got. Good thriller to watch if you got some time in your day.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,217

Post#1647 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:53 pm

PierceFan4ever wrote:Finally got a chance to watch “A Quiet Place” well worth the hype and the reviews it got. Good thriller to watch if you got some time in your day.

I've been leery of this one. Is it a lot of waiting around in silence / alleged suspense? Or do they keep things moving whilst not talking? I'm too impatient for some of those slow builder movies that other people love.
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,059

Post#1648 » by PierceFan4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 am

djFan71 wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:Finally got a chance to watch “A Quiet Place” well worth the hype and the reviews it got. Good thriller to watch if you got some time in your day.

I've been leery of this one. Is it a lot of waiting around in silence / alleged suspense? Or do they keep things moving whilst not talking? I'm too impatient for some of those slow builder movies that other people love.

There’s a lot of silence throughout the movie it’s just the nature of the film especially early in the movie but the pace was quiet nice and the suspense keeps you at the edge of your seat throughout.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#1649 » by StojkoVrankovic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 am

djFan71 wrote:

Go see it in a theater, cool experience. They get to it really quick, not much waiting around

My biggest issue is that it was too short, they really stuffed a lot in and hour and a half. Could have allowed for some things to breathe a little more.
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,217

Post#1650 » by djFan71 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:38 am

PierceFan4ever wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

There’s a lot of silence throughout the movie it’s just the nature of the film especially early in the movie but the pace was quiet nice and the suspense keeps you at the edge of your seat throughout.

StojkoVrankovic wrote:Go see it in a theater, cool experience. They get to it really quick, not much waiting around

My biggest issue is that it was too short, they really stuffed a lot in and hour and a half. Could have allowed for some things to breathe a little more.

Cool, thanks both. I'll have to check it out somehow. The wife is fired up for Isle of Dogs, but maybe after that.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#1651 » by Pacino62 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:08 pm

djFan71 wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I've been leery of this one. Is it a lot of waiting around in silence / alleged suspense? Or do they keep things moving whilst not talking? I'm too impatient for some of those slow builder movies that other people love.

StojkoVrankovic wrote:Go see it in a theater, cool experience. They get to it really quick, not much waiting around

Cool, thanks both. I'll have to check it out somehow. The wife is fired up for Isle of Dogs, but maybe after that.

I haven't gotten stuck in my last 4 movies. Loved every one.

"A Quiet Place" was incredible. Haven't enjoyed a horror movie that much in years. Although, I thought of it more as a drama. Son't let that turn anyone off. It was super suspenseful and the silence was one of the biggest reasons for that suspense.

If you haven't checked out "Ready Player One", it was another winner. "Love, Simon" was great. My girl made me go and I was expecting something totally different. Walked away pleasantly surprised.

Lastly, "Blockers" is a great comedy if you're looking to laugh.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
ric munchn
Senior
And1: 443

Post#1652 » by ric munchn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:45 am

Does anyone know where I can get the pregame live from NBCSports Boston from yesterday?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1653 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:36 pm

OT, didn't want to make a new thread - but for anyone scoring at home, I just passed my PhD qualifying exams last week, so I'm "ABD" now - just a dissertation (years) and then I'm Doctor McCeltic
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#1654 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:OT, didn't want to make a new thread - but for anyone scoring at home, I just passed my PhD qualifying exams last week, so I'm "ABD" now - just a dissertation (years) and then I'm Doctor McCeltic

I've got this weird rash Doc, would you be able to have a look at it?

Congrats, thats awesome. What are you writing your dissertation on?
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#1655 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1656 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:16 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:OT, didn't want to make a new thread - but for anyone scoring at home, I just passed my PhD qualifying exams last week, so I'm "ABD" now - just a dissertation (years) and then I'm Doctor McCeltic

I've got this weird rash Doc, would you be able to have a look at it?

Congrats, thats awesome. What are you writing your dissertation on?

Fake Doctor - rashes go to Rob

And no idea, something with modernist lit and/or psychoanalysis - but feels good to get over the first hurdle
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,683

Post#1657 » by Romeiro Celtic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Hey guys, do you remember that Megaman X series back on the 2000's??
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#1658 » by canman1971 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:15 pm

This qualifies as "and more." As well as an and 1. Well done.
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,287

Post#1659 » by watsonthedragon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Romeiro Celtic wrote:Hey guys, do you remember that Megaman X series back on the 2000's??

Hell yeah, I had every Megaman from the original on NES up to X4 or X5 on PS. Great games with awesome music.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,683

Post#1660 » by Romeiro Celtic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:56 pm

watsonthedragon wrote:
Romeiro Celtic wrote:Hey guys, do you remember that Megaman X series back on the 2000's??

Hell yeah, I had every Megaman from the original on NES up to X4 or X5 on PS. Great games with awesome music.

Agreed!! I bought the Megaman X collection for PS3 this week.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.

Return to Boston Celtics