ImageImage

FISERV FORUM THREAD - Open House/Block Party 8/26

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Re: Wisconsin Entertainment and Sports Center (NEW ARENA) Thread 

Post#101 » by glenn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:28 pm

I do kind of want to say **** you to the organization for not sending off the Bradley Center better. Yeah, the team has been mediocre, yeah it's a giant gray concrete slab with bad sight-lines, but it has been home for 60% of their existence. I first started going to games there, as did most fans that are under the age of 40, and for better or worse it's part of the team's history.
:reporter:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#102 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:26 pm

I never knew there was talk of putting a dome on old County Stadium (cost of $7.5 million) 50 years ago. The thinking was that the Bucks could play there and it could also be used as a convention center.

With weather like this, it's easy to see why they put a roof on Miller Park.

Turns out they had the same idea for County Stadium 50 years ago — but not because of Milwaukee's endless winter.

In 1968, county officials kicked around the idea of putting a dome on top of the stadium, not to keep out the snow and cold, but as a cheaper Plan B.

On March 26, 1968, the County Park Commission's stadium committee recommended seeking funding to determine the feasibility of putting a dome on top of County Stadium.

It was part of a bigger conversation — three conversations, actually.

The first was Milwaukee's pursuit of a major-league baseball franchise, three years after being ditched by the Atlanta-bound Braves. The second was planning for a new sports center that could offer a bigger home for the Milwaukee Bucks and other possible big-league teams. The third was a proposed convention center in downtown Milwaukee, a $15 million to $20 million facility that would have room for all the non-sports events held at the Arena.

For one county supervisor, putting a lid on County Stadium helped all three.

On June 19, the Milwaukee Sentinel reported, Supervisor Gerard B. Skibinski introduced a resolution to hire an architect to design a roof for the stadium. Boasting that a dome would cost about one-fourth the money of a new sports facility, Skibinski said his plan would "eliminate the white elephant that we have there in Piggsville, by converting it into a paying proposition."

Bill Anderson, manager of the stadium, dismissed the idea.

"I'm no engineer, but we've done some investigating and our best information is that it would be almost impossible, regardless of expenditure, to put a dome on the present stadium," he told The Milwaukee Journal in a June 23, 1968, story.

Even if a system could be built around the ballpark to support a roof, Anderson said, "I doubt that a domed stadium would solve Milwaukee's problem."

Skibinski plowed on, hiring Donald L. Grieb, the Milwaukee architect who designed the Mitchell Park Domes, to draft a plan for putting a dome on the stadium.

Grieb introduced his vision on July 11, a $7.5 million project that would enclose County Stadium with added walls to support "three giant arches made of metal and translucent material," the Sentinel reported July 12. The arches, the paper wrote, would be 400 feet wide, 1,000 feet long and 12 feet thick, joining at the center of the dome 213 feet above ground.

The County Board wasn't buying; it hired an architect to design a new arena instead. (A new arena was eventually built — the Bradley Center, in 1988. The convention center arrived, too, though not until 1974.)

Skibinski was undeterred. He revived the dome proposal on Oct. 8, but the resolution died in committee. He brought it up again in January 1970, when the Milwaukee Bucks were making their first-ever playoff run. (The County Board rejected it again.)

Milwaukee County Stadium is shown from the air on April 7, 1970, the Brewers' first opening day at the ballpark - without a roof. This photo appeared in the Milwaukee Sentinel on April 8, 1970. (Photo: Milwaukee Sentinel)

Skibinski died two years later at age 53, but the idea he championed didn't. In 1978, Supervisor John St. John pushed for a dome over the stadium, getting about as much traction as Skibinski did.

"The idea of a dome is fanciful thinking," County Supervisor Fred Tabak, who led the opposition to St. John's proposal, said in a Journal story on June 20, 1979 — nearly 22 years before the first opening day at Miller Park.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#103 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm

The way the team in imploding this building is going to be pretty empty in a few years. And we can welcome back the insane season ticket deals and promotions, haha.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#104 » by trwi7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Preparing for the first sporting event. :wink:
'
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,218

Post#105 » by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 pm

trwi7 wrote:Preparing for the first sporting event. :wink:
'

Are they hosting an NHL game or Admirals?
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#106 » by trwi7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Preparing for the first sporting event. :wink:
'

Are they hosting an NHL game or Admirals?

I dunno. I'm just trying to trigger pp25. :lol:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#107 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Let's get a Preds preseason game to open it up.
BradMKE
Senior
And1: 553

Post#108 » by BradMKE » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:The way the team in imploding this building is going to be pretty empty in a few years. And we can welcome back the insane season ticket deals and promotions, haha.

A few years? I expect it to be half full by January if things continue the way they’ve been. Season ticketholders will try to flip their seats but will want too much $ to recoup their costs and the seats will go unused.

I’ve been to new arenas. The novelty factor wears off pretty quickly and then it’s all about what you’re going there to watch. Having wider concourses and marginally better food isn’t enough to spend the higher ticket prices to watch this team...
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#109 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm

First year of Miller Park attendance went from 1.5 million to 2.8 million. After that:

and then went up as the team played better. So it was a big increase the first year and a big decrease in year 2.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,577

Post#110 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 pm

BradMKE wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote: Having wider concourses and marginally better food isn’t enough to spend the higher ticket prices to watch this team...

THEY NEED MOAR SKYWALKS.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#111 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:59 pm

So it's a local company....

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/535779002?__twitter_impression=true

I work at NM and our CEO said over a year ago it won't be us. Things may have changed in that time, but I highly doubt that.

I'm guessing Johnson controls.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#112 » by ReginaldDwight » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:06 pm

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:So it's a local company....

GE?
Johnson Control?
Harley?
Kohler?
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,148

Post#113 » by KidA24 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:08 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:

GE?
Johnson Control?
Harley?
Kohler?

AmFam, ManPower, Rockwell, Kohl's
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#114 » by crkone » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:17 pm

KidA24 wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:

GE?
Johnson Control?
Harley?
Kohler?

AmFam, ManPower, Rockwell, Kohl's

Several key businesses either based here or with large local presences have joined the Bucks as "founding partners" – the most important partnership for the new arena announced to date. They include Johnson Controls, MillerCoors, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin and BMO Harris Bank.

Scratch those off. Also Harley because of the patches

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#115 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm

Harley sales have tanked, I can't see them spending the cash. Kohl's is treading water. Johnson Controls? Maybe, although not a consumer company really. They announce earnings next week. I guess Miller might do it, maybe they'll use their Leinenkugel brand. Summer Shandy Arena. Manpower is a slight possibility. AmFam is headquartered in Madison so that's a possibility. Rodgers would be pissed though haha.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#116 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:29 pm

The Milwaukee Bucks are on the cusp of announcing the long-delayed naming rights deal for their new $524 million basketball arena, one of the team's owners said.

"It's very close – imminent is what I would say is probably the word," Wes Edens said in an interview.

"It's a company that's local. It's got a national presence," Edens said, declining to discuss more details about the business that will be the Bucks' most important partner for years to come.

"We have been exchanging contracts. There are really no open issues," he said.

Will it be the Northwestern Mutual arena? That's an important local company that has yet to announce its plans with the team. Or will an already-committed sponsor such as BMO Harris Bank upgrade to a higher-profile package?

"I can't play 20 questions," Edens said. "It would be a disservice to the whole process."

The Bucks are expected to put on a full-court press and crank up the excitement for the arena once their season ends. That includes the naming rights announcement, other local sponsorships as well as a continued push for season-ticket sales.

The naming rights deal is the most important part of the arena project since the Bucks' owners secured a $250 million public financing deal. The Bucks keep the money from the naming rights – and all other revenue generated at the arena – as part of their agreement to maintain the facility once they take occupancy. The arena is expected to open in late summer.

Several key businesses either based here or with large local presences have joined the Bucks as "founding partners" – the most important partnership for the new arena announced to date. They include Johnson Controls, MillerCoors, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin and BMO Harris Bank.

Edens and fellow New York billionaire Marc Lasry bought the Bucks in 2014 from Sen. Herb Kohl for $550 million. The team is now valued at more than $1 billion.

The Bucks initially set a naming rights sponsorship goal of $7 million to $10 million a year for up to 20 years.

Since last summer, there were several indications that the Bucks were close to a deal. But it didn't happen, leading some experts to say the price or time commitment was too high.

Bucks President Peter Feigin last fall and winter made numerous national media appearances and talked up the arena and the naming rights opportunity.

That campaign included a glowing profile of Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo that aired in late March.

Edens downplayed the naming rights delays, and said he was satisfied with the price and the partner.
"There really hasn't been a lot of drama in the whole process," he said.

"I haven't felt a particular amount of angst to be honest. Of course it's a big element for us. We want to put it to bed. I'm feeling good."

He declined to discuss price or the length of the deal.

"We're not only happy with the price but we think it's a very high-quality partner who we think really represents well – a big employer; we think there's a lot of real positives in terms of all the contextual aspects of the partnership that we think are terrific."

Edens noted that other sponsorships are available, such as for the entertainment block outside the arena and the "panorama club," a gathering area high above the eastern end of the seating bowl.

"We have many partners that have really stepped up so there's been a ton of participation locally, but there will only be one name on the building," he said.

Asked if he thought the choice of arena naming rights partner would resonate with Milwaukee residents, Edens said he had no doubt.

"I think so, yes."
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#117 » by buckboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:35 pm

I think it'll be Manpower. But I'm really hoping we can call the place the Big Johnson.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#118 » by crkone » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Kohler Toilet Bowl

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
CountMe3Outs
Sophomore
And1: 219

Post#119 » by CountMe3Outs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:38 pm

A truly local sponsor with a truly national presence...

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,577

Post#120 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm

The ULINE Box

Return to Milwaukee Bucks