Kevin Huerter

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Kevin Huerter 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:20 pm

This dude needs his own thread. My biggest sleeper in the Draft. Very similar shot to Klay (see video below). Not quite as beautiful, because he releases at a slightly lower angle, but that could be worked on. Huerter is athletic (not deceptively, he actually looks and is athletic) and long for a wing. I have him late first round and might move way up during workouts.

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:22 pm

He’s not long at all but other than that I’m a fan. I just don’t think he’s coming out this year.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm a Terps fan, so I nearly had a panic attack seeing this thread. I haven't heard a word that he's even considering leaving. Hopefully he has his own Donte D moments next season in the NCAA tournament :) - though he doesn't have the skills to help at the point like Donte does. I love him as a college player - range out to 30 feet, plays hard on defense. Clutch player. He's been very gradually improving his skills. At this point, the biggest key for him is probably building up his body.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#4 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:58 pm

He's young for his class, so he's got that going for him if he returns. Would still be 20 before the 2019 Draft.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#5 » by 916fan » Thu Apr 5, 2018 11:18 pm

EvanZ wrote:He's young for his class, so he's got that going for him if he returns. Would still be 20 before the 2019 Draft.

He caught my eye earlier in the year when they played Syracuse. He was draining 3s like crazy.

I think he's underrated by the media. Probably my biggest concern with Huerter is his lack of strength. However if Terrance Ferguson goes in the lotto(I still don't know why or how), there's no reason why a scout would think Huerter can't get stronger or fill out his frame.

I don't think he comes out this year though. Doesn't seem like there's enough buzz about him. I have him as a late 1st round pick if he decides to come out. SGs in this class are also lacking too imo. Not a big fan of Walker or Brown.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 11:37 pm

Huerter could be really good IMO. Tries hard on defense (even if he doesn’t have length), has advanced moves to get to the basket and get his shot off (which tends to translate really well) and he can get hot. He’s mostly limited by how much a team will trust him and how much he is able to prove himself.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#7 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 6:39 pm

I like him and am writing something about him on my blog as we speak. Watched Indiana, MSU, and Illinois games over the last 2 hours (skimming through the parts he was not in, fast forwarding FTs, ec). Right hand dominant, nice mid-range, can shoot off curls and spotting up, can create for himself off dribble (nice step back), nice read and replace player, tries hard on defense (but I am worried about his isolation defense a bit), and good vision (handle needs to get a little tighter) who reads the defense nicely off the PnR. Crafty with up and unders and had a nice reverse pivot in one of the games from 12.

I have him as a nice tertiary playmaker / shooter (I would say scorer, but I think he's more of a shooter...now), who won't get killed on defense.

Skinny though and, although he does appear to have + wingspan, I don't think he's particularly long.

(Also doing something on Justin Jackson, who I also love.)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#9 » by Patrick1978 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 pm

EvanZ wrote:This dude needs his own thread. My biggest sleeper in the Draft. Very similar shot to Klay (see video below). Not quite as beautiful, because he releases at a slightly lower angle, but that could be worked on. Huerter is athletic (not deceptively, he actually looks and is athletic) and long for a wing. I have him late first round and might move way up during workouts.

Didn t know anything about him.
Looks like an interesting player
What can you tell me about him?
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'm a Terps fan, so I nearly had a panic attack seeing this thread. I haven't heard a word that he's even considering leaving. .

Sorry man. :lol:

I moved him up to 18 on my board, might end up sniffing lottery. I don't know if NBA teams are as high on him, probably not. But it's hard for me to see him not being a first round pick.
Davis
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#11 » by Davis » Tue May 1, 2018 12:45 pm

916fan wrote:However if Terrance Ferguson goes in the lotto(I still don't know why or how

For what it's worth he went 21st
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Sat May 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Definitely not a sleeper anymore. I have him #9 on my board.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#13 » by KqWIN » Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 am

Full disclosure, I didn't know who he was until a few weeks ago. With that said, how did I not know about him until now? Seems to check all the boxes for a lottery level talent, especially where the league is going.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 20, 2018 1:31 pm

I try my best not to do this lol, but am I wrong for thinking Chase Budinger and not Klay Thompson?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#15 » by PLO » Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I try my best not to do this lol, but am I wrong for thinking Chase Budinger and not Klay Thompson?

Probably more like somewhere inbetween the two.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Sun May 20, 2018 3:02 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I try my best not to do this lol, but am I wrong for thinking Chase Budinger and not Klay Thompson?

In terms of body (height/reach/weight/bf/wingspan) Chase is actually his closest comp. But in terms of athleticism (vert/agility/sprint) he's actually ahead of both. His athletic comps are closer to Josh Howard and RHJ.

Read on Twitter
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,094

Post#17 » by The-Power » Sun May 20, 2018 5:09 pm

Love him. An athletic 6'8 (although not very long, unfortunately) freshman-aged player with this kind of range who plays fundamental defense, moves well off the ball and makes the smart pass? Hard to see him not being a good role player at least. As a team in the 10-20 range I'd give him a long and hard look even though he's probably not mocked in that range very often. Could end up being a real steal in this draft.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:08 pm

All the GMs at the combine loved Huerter. Think he’s definitely a riser. I heard shooting around at the combine he just wouldn’t miss.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#19 » by kobyz » Sun May 20, 2018 10:50 pm

look like Mario Hejonza clone...
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#20 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon May 21, 2018 2:22 am

EvanZ wrote:

In terms of body (height/reach/weight/bf/wingspan) Chase is actually his closest comp. But in terms of athleticism (vert/agility/sprint) he's actually ahead of both. His athletic comps are closer to Josh Howard and RHJ.

Read on Twitter

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this guy other than this thread and all the buzz I've been reading about him from other posters on NetDaily, so this is no doubt just a snap judgement, but... from that video you posted I'm not overly impressed with his athleticism. He looks quick and he moves very well laterally on D, but his first step is suspect and he is stiff and not overly fluid. It feels like his athleticism is combine workout warrior stuff and not necessarily in game stuff. His handle looks crazy suspect as well.

But... he looks like a perfect 3 and D prospect. Again, his laterals look really good. His shooting stroke is very close to Klay's, though his release point is a little low, it's a little bit of a push shot, but it obviously works and it's probably something which can be tweaked and improved. He makes nice cuts off the ball into the paint. He can move and get open off the ball. I get Klay's game isn't crazy expansive either, but he looks a lot more Korver than Klay. Again, this is off 1 video lol, so take this with a snowball sized grain of salt.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to NBA Draft