Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Re: Jalen Brunson 

Post#41 » by Hoopz Afrik » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 pm

King Ken wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:
SC923 wrote:He lacks explosiveness and athleticism, just doesnt fit in the modern Nba

He can shoot, play off the ball, solid defender as well....seems like a solid fit the modern day NBA if you ask me.

If athletic marvels like TJ McConnell, Fred VanVleet, and Quinn Cook can make it in the NBA then I don't see why Jalen Brunson can't.

None of those guys got drafted. The had no expectation other than 10-12 MPG. VanFleet has been a gem but I've seen players do well for the Raptors and go elsewhere and flop. It's like the Miami Heat. They get the most out of some prospects that no one else can.

They didn't get drafted yet are rotational guys for good playoff teams with realistic expectation. That's more of an indictment on the talent evaluators than the players don't you think.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#42 » by jonjames » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 pm

If you are not super athletic jitterbug type or tall/lanky pg then you gotta be super skilled and crafty..and brunson is definitely the latter. He could carve out a nice career ala andre miller.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#43 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:04 am

Reminds me a lot of Tyus Jones
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Post#44 » by Upperclass » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:13 am

TJ McConnell landed on a point-guardless 76ers team and took advantage of an opportunity. He's an incredibly good shooter inside the 3point line(check his percentages), pesky defender, not ball-dominant, but can run a team like few other backups can(similar to an ish smith).

Van Vleet is just a helluva shooter and probably projects close to what Brunson could provide.. But he is also a very good defensive player.

Quinn Cook is a bit of fluke and took advantage of some injuries.. but he isnt an NBA player.

Andre Miller is one of the best NBA point guard of all time and had an incredibly long wingspan. Brunson is a really poor mans version most likely and wont measure near Miller.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#45 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 am

King Ken wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:
SC923 wrote:He lacks explosiveness and athleticism, just doesnt fit in the modern Nba

He can shoot, play off the ball, solid defender as well....seems like a solid fit the modern day NBA if you ask me.

If athletic marvels like TJ McConnell, Fred VanVleet, and Quinn Cook can make it in the NBA then I don't see why Jalen Brunson can't.

None of those guys got drafted. The had no expectation other than 10-12 MPG. VanFleet has been a gem but I've seen players do well for the Raptors and go elsewhere and flop. It's like the Miami Heat. They get the most out of some prospects that no one else can.

i mean name 2 guys who play well for the raptors and go elsewhere and flop.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,219

Post#46 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:01 am

Upperclass wrote:
Quinn Cook is a bit of fluke and took advantage of some injuries.. but he isnt an NBA player.

Guranteed contract would indicate otherwise.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
bucknut
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#47 » by bucknut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 am

Damon Stoudamire with a Mark Jackson backdown game.

kid will be a stud. polished nba savvy game. stood out more than bridges.

I don't even see him being a bad athlete. He's just not a westbrook freak. I don't even think Chris Paul is that much more of an athlete than this guy. Jarret Jack, George Hill, earl watson, Deron Williams, andre miller etc these guys aren't athletes
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#48 » by nolang1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 am

bucknut wrote:Damon Stoudamire with a Mark Jackson backdown game.

kid will be a stud. polished nba savvy game. stood out more than bridges.

I don't even see him being a bad athlete. He's just not a westbrook freak. I don't even think Chris Paul is that much more of an athlete than this guy.

If he were nearly as athletic as Chris Paul he'd have been a top-5 pick 2 years ago; Brunson's probably got 4 inches on CP3,
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#49 » by King Ken » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
King Ken wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:

Vasquez
Patterson
Hansbrough
Amir Johnson

That's just off the 14-15 roster.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#50 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:23 pm

King Ken wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
King Ken wrote:None of those guys got drafted. The had no expectation other than 10-12 MPG. VanFleet has been a gem but I've seen players do well for the Raptors and go elsewhere and flop. It's like the Miami Heat. They get the most out of some prospects that no one else can.

Vasquez
Patterson
Hansbrough
Amir Johnson

That's just off the 14-15 roster.

Greivis - agreed, pretty straight forward
Patterson - agreed, that knee surgery didn't do him any favors either
Hansbrough - disagree, he flopped with yall and never recovered
Amir Johnson - disagree, he's given Boston and even Philly the same things he gave the Raps just less volume
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#51 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Upperclass wrote:undrafted or super late 2nd round.. he's not an nba player and has zero in common with thomas

Considering IIRC isaiah thomas practicly went undrafted...well that's something they have in common with one another.

Maybe not Pistons Isiah Thomas.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
DryPaint
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#52 » by DryPaint » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:09 am

jalen brunson can get to a solid nba backup point role. but i see his dad being the better nba prospect at that time with those 4 inches in length with the same quickess & speed. jalen got the prominent role, is a known thing coming out of college, but if his dad was on the same prep/ recruiting level back then he is a better prospect. meaning the end of first round is where he belongs.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#53 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:33 pm

I see him being a first round pick for all of the same reasons Mateen Cleaves was a first round pick combined with the success Kyle Lowry and VanFleet have had in the NBA who he compares to very well.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Kurosawa0
Analyst
And1: 3,276

Post#54 » by Kurosawa0 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:40 am

I think he'll have a long career, but Brunson's probably your third guard. That not necessarily a bad thing though. Many of the teams in the playoffs right now could use a steady back up point guard.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#55 » by jonjames » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:I see him being a first round pick for all of the same reasons Mateen Cleaves was a first round pick combined with the success Kyle Lowry and VanFleet have had in the NBA who he compares to very well.

Kyle lowry was a very different prospect than brunson coming out of villanova. Brunson is less athletic and a better shooter. Lowry was a straight bulldog coming out of villanova. He wasnt the refined player he is today but man he was a joy to watch guarding his man snatching rebounds from bigs and getting into paint with ease and finishing with contact over much taller players.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#56 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:38 pm

jonjames wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:I see him being a first round pick for all of the same reasons Mateen Cleaves was a first round pick combined with the success Kyle Lowry and VanFleet have had in the NBA who he compares to very well.

Kyle lowry was a very different prospect than brunson coming out of villanova. Brunson is less athletic and a better shooter. Lowry was a straight bulldog coming out of villanova. He wasnt the refined player he is today but man he was a joy to watch guarding his man snatching rebounds from bigs and getting into paint with ease and finishing with contact over much taller players.

As prospects they aren't much alike but he does compare favorably to the Raptors version of Lowry. Both are highly skilled strong little guards although Lowry has grown a tad bit soft over the years.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.

Return to NBA Draft