Around the NBA: 2022-23 edition

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Re: NBA News 

Post#81 » by Tom White » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:39 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:But I think most of us realize too that PG inadvertently did us a favor by pushing for a trade rather than keeping quiet and just walking at the end of the season. So it all worked out for the best.

I like most of your post, except for this last part.

Had the push for a trade been done behind closed doors, then I could agree with you. However, when the push or demand of a trade became general public knowledge, I think it put the Pacers in a more difficult position. Meaning that once teams knew the Pacers pretty much had no choice in the matter, that had to have an affect on the offers.

We heard rumors of other offers that might have been interesting, but with trades - until it happens it is just a rumor, nothing more. Heck, we may never really know for sure what any other offers were.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#82 » by DusterBuster » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:43 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I still distinctly remember discussing some Paul deals on the Pacers forum here before PG made his intentions clear with the trade demand. Pacers fans telling me on here that George was a "generational" talent has ALWAYS stuck with me because of how crazy that was to me. Don't get me wrong, he's a really good player, I certainly would have taken him on my team, but I never ever ever thought of him in the light of a "generational" talent. I just considered him a solid all-star level guy, not that unlike Danny Granger before him. Seeing how fast you guys replaced him with something (arguably better) while he did little to impact his new team just kinda proved my theory that he's nothing more than a really good player.

Calling PG a "generational" talent seems excessive and I don't recall anyone saying that. If I had seen that statement made, I would have challenged it.

OTOH, suggesting that guys like PG are easily replaceable goes too far the other way. Sure, Dipo is probably on a similar tier, but I think most of us recognize that Dipo's emergence was a fluke in a lot of ways. Certainly no one is expecting us to add another Dipo level talent any time soon.

Fact is, PG has some claim to being the single best NBA player to have ever played for the Pacers. Maybe some would argue for Reggie's longevity and playoff heroics, maybe some would take JO's one MVP level season, maybe Oladipo would surpass him in time - but as of now PG is right up there. Maybe that says more about the Pacers than of PG, I don't know. But certainly I would put him on a level higher than Granger, who wasn't a bad player either.

There's still a lot of bad feeling towards PG from Pacer fans, for sure. But I think most of us realize too that PG inadvertently did us a favor by pushing for a trade rather than keeping quiet and just walking at the end of the season. So it all worked out for the best.

I decided to go hunting and found the past from last year....

DusterBuster wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Still, PG is a generational player. I think the team needs to do everything in their power to keep him around. As someone else said, we could have a top 10 pick in the next 10 drafts and never find a player of his caliber. He's more valuable than anything you could possibly trade him for.

Man, I just don't agree with this in the slightest. He's really good and I mean zero disrespect, but a 24pt/6reb SF who plays good D.... they don't fall off the tree every day but they also aren't what I would consider a "generational player". I'm sure this won't be a popular post, so as a disclaimer, I'm not going to go deep into that topic to avoid derailing the thread... but I just had to say my peace about that. I really just don't think he's THAT level of talent.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1549741&p=55588337&hilit=generational#p55588337

Yikes, that post has aged even worse than I remembered...
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#83 » by Jake0890 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:53 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
winter_mute_13 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I still distinctly remember discussing some Paul deals on the Pacers forum here before PG made his intentions clear with the trade demand. Pacers fans telling me on here that George was a "generational" talent has ALWAYS stuck with me because of how crazy that was to me. Don't get me wrong, he's a really good player, I certainly would have taken him on my team, but I never ever ever thought of him in the light of a "generational" talent. I just considered him a solid all-star level guy, not that unlike Danny Granger before him. Seeing how fast you guys replaced him with something (arguably better) while he did little to impact his new team just kinda proved my theory that he's nothing more than a really good player.

Calling PG a "generational" talent seems excessive and I don't recall anyone saying that. If I had seen that statement made, I would have challenged it.

OTOH, suggesting that guys like PG are easily replaceable goes too far the other way. Sure, Dipo is probably on a similar tier, but I think most of us recognize that Dipo's emergence was a fluke in a lot of ways. Certainly no one is expecting us to add another Dipo level talent any time soon.

Fact is, PG has some claim to being the single best NBA player to have ever played for the Pacers. Maybe some would argue for Reggie's longevity and playoff heroics, maybe some would take JO's one MVP level season, maybe Oladipo would surpass him in time - but as of now PG is right up there. Maybe that says more about the Pacers than of PG, I don't know. But certainly I would put him on a level higher than Granger, who wasn't a bad player either.

There's still a lot of bad feeling towards PG from Pacer fans, for sure. But I think most of us realize too that PG inadvertently did us a favor by pushing for a trade rather than keeping quiet and just walking at the end of the season. So it all worked out for the best.

I decided to go hunting and found the past from last year....

DusterBuster wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Still, PG is a generational player. I think the team needs to do everything in their power to keep him around. As someone else said, we could have a top 10 pick in the next 10 drafts and never find a player of his caliber. He's more valuable than anything you could possibly trade him for.

Man, I just don't agree with this in the slightest. He's really good and I mean zero disrespect, but a 24pt/6reb SF who plays good D.... they don't fall off the tree every day but they also aren't what I would consider a "generational player". I'm sure this won't be a popular post, so as a disclaimer, I'm not going to go deep into that topic to avoid derailing the thread... but I just had to say my peace about that. I really just don't think he's THAT level of talent.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1549741&p=55588337&hilit=generational#p55588337

Yikes, that post has aged even worse than I remembered...

Haha! That was me!

I stand by what i said though. pg may not actually be a generational player, but he is a great one and they don’t grow on trees. It worked out for us. We got lucky. Hindsight is 20/20, but trading someone of his talent level for two underachieve in prospects is in general risky and not necessarily a good move. Happened to be one in our case, though.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#84 » by pacers33granger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:45 pm

PG's not a generational player, but I think Jake's post was more along the lines of him being a generational Pacer. We're a franchise whose never had a super hyped guy outside of him really and he had a chance to be the best Pacer ever.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#85 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 11:12 am

Sixers' GM Bryan Colangelo apparently had several burner RealGM accounts:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1710767

Ok, time to 'fess up. Which one of you is Larry? :lol:

-----

Ok, more seriously the whole story is pretty bizarre. A journalist claimed that Colangelo was running fake twitter accounts that disclosed privileged information. Colangelo pointing the finger at his wife(!). But even if it's not him personally running those accounts, where was the information coming from? It's not looking good for him.

Also, I can never look at public forum posting the same way again. There really is the chance that you're discussing things with someone with inside access! So much for the "too important to waste time posting on forums" defense.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#86 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Dwight just got traded (again!!!)... Kemba is up next....
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#87 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:06 pm

Hearing Barton may be on your list, any rumors out in IND ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#88 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:09 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Hearing Barton may be on your list, any rumors out in IND ??

Well, Lance's option was just declined, which means there's an opening at backup SG...

Other than that, I don't think there's news.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#89 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:28 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Hearing Barton may be on your list, any rumors out in IND ??

Well, Lance's option was just declined, which means there's an opening at backup SG...

Other than that, I don't think there's news.

Just an FYI, don't expect the same type of defense
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#90 » by Jstock12 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 8:21 pm

What a pass by Domas :D

Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#91 » by Jake0890 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 am

If we didn’t just draft Aaron Holiday, I’d now say we should go after Yogi Ferrell.

He just got his QO rescinded.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,026

Post#92 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Jake0890 wrote:If we didn’t just draft Aaron Holiday, I’d now say we should go after Yogi Ferrell.

He just got his QO rescinded.

Just a cap space manipulation. Word is they’ve agreed on a 3 year deal, but rescinding the qo gets them a couple extra million in cap space before they formally sign Yogi.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#93 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Holiday and Yogi could be similar players. if the idea is to sign Hoosiers, Troy Williams was set loose today.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#94 » by Jake0890 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Wizop wrote:Holiday and Yogi could be similar players. if the idea is to sign Hoosiers, Troy Williams was set loose today.

Sent from my phone.

Bad off season for IU players, with Vonleh still a free agent and Bryant getting a minimum.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,026

Post#95 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 pm

I’d really like to have Williams in camp.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#96 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:30 am

Noah Vonleh signs with the Knicks.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#97 » by Jake0890 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 7:23 pm

Think this was unofficially reported earlier this summer, but Nate officially signed his contract extension Tuesday.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#98 » by Gremz » Sat Sep 8, 2018 1:58 pm

I think it's the right decision and well deserved by Nate, I'm just not sure he's the right guy to take the Pacers another step forward. Hopefully I'm wrong, I just don't want to see multiple years of Oladipo's prime languishing.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#99 » by Jstock12 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Oh Lance :lol: Don't ever change.

Read on Twitter
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#100 » by Jake0890 » Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Seems like we waived Moore to convert Sumner to a full contract? Presumably Moore could take his 2-way deal that's now open...

Return to Indiana Pacers