RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#181 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:06 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
What would you have done differently?

DEFENSE. Come on Otis. You know me too well not to know what I'm thinking, :wink:

They got to that in the 4th. And - Gallup is going to contribute immediately. Watch.

That makes me feel better then. :clap:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#182 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:08 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
What would you have done differently?

DEFENSE. Come on Otis. You know me too well not to know what I'm thinking, :wink:

They got to that in the 4th. And - Gallup is going to contribute immediately. Watch.

Sorry, I'm behind the 8-ball at the moment. Been busy with my Bruins and Celtics today !
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#183 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:34 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:DEFENSE. Come on Otis. You know me too well not to know what I'm thinking, :wink:

I see you guys swapped out Ryan Switzer today for Austin.

Yeah. Not particularly moved one way or another with that one. Switzer lost the trust of the coaches with his kick return adventures... but it isn’t like Austin did much to distinguish himself last season with the Rams. Plus I believe he counts $7M this season.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#184 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:38 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:DEFENSE. Come on Otis. You know me too well not to know what I'm thinking, :wink:

Sorry, I'm behind the 8-ball at the moment. Been busy with my Bruins and Celtics today !

I watched through the 4th round then got to work in the yard the rest of the afternoon. Been catching up this evening.

I’m not really feeling the QB they took.

CBS draft tracker says: “White has impressive arm talent and gets the ball out quickly.  Major problems against pressure."

I don't think I've ever seen that written about a guy before.  At least not so succinctly.  I am curious what exactly has happened to earn such a sterling review.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#185 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:41 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I see you guys swapped out Ryan Switzer today for Austin.

Yeah. Not particularly moved one way or another with that one. Switzer lost the trust of the coaches with his kick return adventures... but it isn’t like Austin did much to distinguish himself last season with the Rams. Plus I believe he counts $7M this season.

Austin is pretty much solely a return/special teams guy at this point. Burner. But yeah, I'm not sure he's worth that cap number if true.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#186 » by The Sparest » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:59 am

Otis Driftwood wrote: Plus I believe he counts $7M this season.

According to Norm Hitzges, his bonus had already been paid before the trade, so Dallas is only on the hook for 3 million.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#187 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:35 pm

The Sparest wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote: Plus I believe he counts $7M this season.

According to Norm Hitzges, his bonus had already been paid before the trade, so Dallas is only on the hook for 3 million.

Good. Then he’s no lock to make the team if he doesn’t earn a spot. Kind of like Switzer would have been.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#188 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I see you guys swapped out Ryan Switzer today for Austin.

Austin is pretty much solely a return/special teams guy at this point. Burner. But yeah, I'm not sure he's worth that cap number if true.

Hell do that and he’ll play RB. He’ll be the guy running all those jet sweeps and I’d imagine he’ll catch a ton of passes out of the backfield. Very solid trade. Trading Switzer likely also means Beasley isn’t going anywhere. Now we just have to wait 1 more year to dump Williams. The WR Corp is now loaded with guys that are very good route runners.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the draft. They still need a 1-tech though. Based on the way the roster is built now they are going to absolutely run the hell out of the ball.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#189 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Hell do that and he’ll play RB. He’ll be the guy running all those jet sweeps and I’d imagine he’ll catch a ton of passes out of the backfield. Very solid trade. Trading Switzer likely also means Beasley isn’t going anywhere. Now we just have to wait 1 more year to dump Williams. The WR Corp is now loaded with guys that are very good route runners.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the draft. They still need a 1-tech though. Based on the way the roster is built now they are going to absolutely run the hell out of the ball.

That was a bit disappointing to me that we didn't get a 1-Tech Dt and another stud LB.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#190 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:02 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Austin is pretty much solely a return/special teams guy at this point. Burner. But yeah, I'm not sure he's worth that cap number if true.

That was a bit disappointing to me that we didn't get a 1-Tech Dt and another stud LB.

Pickings for those positions were really slim each time their pick came up. Not having a true 1-tech on the roster is going to hurt, just hopefully not too much.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#191 » by The Sparest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:06 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Pickings for those positions were really slim each time their pick came up. Not having a true 1-tech on the roster is going to hurt, just hopefully not too much.

That's why I was kind of hoping they would roll the dice on Hurst at the end of the 4th. I know they needed a TE in the worst way, but (if healthy) Hurst would be a difference maker on the line.

The QB pick also surprised me a bit, but the Boys' drafting has been steadily improving, so I'm going to hope this year continues the trend.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Mr B
RealGM

Post#192 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:40 pm

The Sparest wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:That was a bit disappointing to me that we didn't get a 1-Tech Dt and another stud LB.

That's why I was kind of hoping they would roll the dice on Hurst at the end of the 4th. I know they needed a TE in the worst way, but (if healthy) Hurst would be a difference maker on the line.

The QB pick also surprised me a bit, but the Boys' drafting has been steadily improving, so I'm going to hope this year continues the trend.

Once I heard more about the heart condition I didn’t want them to take Hurst. His condition is life threatening but it can be corrected with surgery. The problem is the surgery will end his playing career. So it’s not a matter of, if he’ll have the surgery it’s a matter of when. I’d be surprised if he ever plays.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#193 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:41 pm

You guys a going to laugh at me. Now that I've had a little time to do some catching up, my favorite pick turned out to be the Williams kid in round 2. I sure hope Will McClay is spot on with his pick though.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#194 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I watched through the 4th round then got to work in the yard the rest of the afternoon. Been catching up this evening.

CBS draft tracker says: “White has impressive arm talent and gets the ball out quickly.  Major problems against pressure."

I don't think I've ever seen that written about a guy before.  At least not so succinctly.  I am curious what exactly has happened to earn such a sterling review.

I'm with you on this one as well Otis. I'm not feeling it and I don't like what I'm reading. We could have gotten more on defense. Like another LB or a 1 Tech DT. I don't like the pick at all.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#195 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:37 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:You guys a going to laugh at me. Now that I've had a little time to do some catching up, my favorite pick turned out to be the Williams kid in round 2. I sure hope Will McClay is spot on with his pick though.

If he had come out last year he’d have likely been a top 10 pick. All the local radio guys have been saying he’s built just like Tyron Smith. 300+ pounds with very little body fat. He should slide right in at LG.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#196 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

He’s definitely a developmental guy. I’ve been hearing he’s expected to beat out Cooper Rush. Luckily with the Cowboys commitment to revamping the OL he shouldn’t see a whole lot of pressure.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#197 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 1, 2018 5:27 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Sorry, I'm behind the 8-ball at the moment. Been busy with my Bruins and Celtics today !

He’s definitely a developmental guy. I’ve been hearing he’s expected to beat out Cooper Rush. Luckily with the Cowboys commitment to revamping the OL he shouldn’t see a whole lot of pressure.

We hope. All it will take is Tyron Smith's back to not agree with the rest of him for us to find out.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#198 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 8, 2018 3:30 pm

I took the liberty of looking through the UDFA signings and pulled some scouting on them (mainly from the Morning News but I had to do a little digging on several). We know one or two of these guys will find their way onto the roster... they usually do. I'll post them in groups of 4/5 to make it a little more digestable.

Joel Lanning | LB | Iowa State
Scouting report: "Lanning comes to balance on the move, lowering his pads and bursting through his target as a tackler. He looked inexperienced in coverage in his one season at linebacker, but trusted his instincts to guide him, staying away from mental mistakes. Lanning has a great backstory that illustrates his team-first mentality. With his determination and natural football IQ, he has a chance of making it as a special teamer, linebacker or fullback."

Jake Campos | OL | Iowa State
Scouting report: "Although he has below average length, Campos moves light on his feet mid-shuffle to protect vs. edge speed. He tends to let his pads rise off the snap and plays straight-legged, weakening his base strength at the point of attack. His punch is weak and plays with questionable aggressiveness, choosing to be more of a get-in- the-way blocker. Overall, Campos has adequate set-up quickness, but his play strength and technique let him down, lacking the dogged mentality to compensate."

Marchie Murdock | WR | Iowa State
Scouting report: "Quickly releases off the line of scrimmage, immediately gets to top speed and works his hands to separate from defenders. Comes back to the ball out of breaks and uses his frame to shield away defenders. Consistent hands catcher who makes receptions away from his frame. Tracks the pass in the air, plays with terrific awareness and works to pick up yardage after the catch. Lacks next-level size and speed. Has a very slim body of work"

Jordan Chunn | RB | Troy
Scouting report: "He is a well-built workhorse back who shows the body fluidity to transition his momentum off his plant foot to cut-and-go. Despite his size, Chunn tends to concede too easily as a runner with too many solo tacklers getting him on the ground. His 10 career fumbles stick out like a sore thumb. He missed playing time as a senior due to a laceration on his right leg, which required 18 stiches, and durability is a question mark. Overall, Chunn is a 'what you see is what you get' runner, but has a chance to find a third-down role."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 8, 2018 3:31 pm

David Wells | TE | San Diego State
Scouting report: "His production as a senior declined and appeared to be an afterthought in the Aztecs' offense. However, Wells was a substantial part of the team's success due to his blocking. He looks the part of an NFL tight end with his sturdy, large frame and the competitive spirit to match. Although he is a sluggish athlete with heavy legs in his routes, Wells can carve out an NFL career if he continues to develop his technique and point-of-attack balance as a blocker."

Dalton Sturm | QB | UTSA
Scouting report: "Sturm is known for creating special plays when the pocket collapses. With good size and a penchant for not turning the ball over, Sturm could provide some buzz given that he will be used heavily as a camp quarterback."

Donovan Olumba | CB | Portland State
Scouting report: "His transition tends to stall due to wild footwork, causing him to play tight at the top of routes. He is an inconsistent run defender with suspect play strength for NFL work. Overall, Olumba is an undeveloped traits-based prospect who could earn a practice squad spot in training camp."

Kameron Kelly | S | San Diego State
Scouting report: "Kelly is an aggressive run defender and competes with a physical edge, disrupting routes at the line of scrimmage and daring the quarterback to throw in his direction. He can pattern match early in the rep, but he struggles to match long speed and secondary burst at the stem. Overall, Kelly is a versatile competitor who could compete for a Cowboys roster spot at cornerback or safety with his tough, physical nature."

Malik Earl | WR | Missouri State
Scouting report: "With Earl, the Cowboys will have a player who could beat up on cornerbacks due to his tenacity and swagger on the field. At 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, Earl moves pretty well. Similar to Murdock, Earl will really have to prove himself to make the final roster."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#200 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 8, 2018 3:31 pm

Charvarius Ward | CB | Middle Tennessee
Scouting report: "When Ward wants to tackle, he stays low and finishes, but he tends to make business decisions, allowing his teammates to be the hero. On film, there are too many examples of him falling asleep at the wheel and his delayed diagnosis skills lead to completions or grabbing. Overall, Ward has undeveloped play strength and instincts, but his speed and length for the position give him a fighting chance, making him an ideal practice squad corner."

Kyle Queiro | S | Northwestern
Scouting report: "Queiro’s speed likely relegates him from playing a true safety position at the next level. But safety/linebacker hybrids are becoming used more frequently on passing downs to cover tight ends and running backs. NFL defenses are in nickel coverages the majority of snaps, and that’s a role Queiro could excel in."

Bryce Johnson | OL | St. Cloud State
Scouting report: "Johnson projects as a guard in the future, as that is the position he has excelled in at recent years. Johnson came to campus at 270 pounds, so he has added to his frame accordingly in recent years. If Johnson can flash potential in either the run and passing game, he might battle for a backup/practice squad postion"

DeQuinton Osborne | DT | Oklahoma State
Scouting report: "Many were hoping for the Cowboys to get Poona Ford in the undrafted free agency process, but Osborne’s profile is quite similar. He is a stout and difficult to move at 5-foot-11, 315 pounds. His best fit in the NFL will be as a run-stuffing/space-clogging defensive tackle who anchors in the middle and takes on double teams."

Return to Dallas Cowboys