Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Elie Okobo 

Post#1 » by blazeyo » Sun Mar 4, 2018 5:22 pm

;t=310s

Thoughts? is he going to declare? Where would you rank him?
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Re: Elie Okobo 

Post#2 » by coutournant » Sun Mar 4, 2018 7:22 pm

He was a shooting guard who managed to play as a pure PG. He's the most productive young guard in France since De Colo, and he's more strong and athletic, more suited to the NBA than Nando... He shows great leadership, he doesn't have many weaknesses as a PG. His shot is still a bit streaky. I think he's a great PG prospect for the NBA, he has the size, the skills, and he's still very young, only 20 years old.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#3 » by GimmeDat » Mon Mar 5, 2018 6:39 am

Came across him maybe a week ago when I saw his name on a few boards, and he ticks a lot of boxes. I'd say mid to late 1st if he declares, but this is also a PG weak draft so maybe he climbs a bit further.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Mon Mar 5, 2018 12:21 pm

I don't think he is a worse prospect than Schröder, who had more going for him physically (longer, quicker, longer strides) but not as good as a playmaker or shooter, reminds me a bit of Darren Collison, not ultra creative but solid
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#5 » by 916fan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:48 am

I think Okobo is underrated. He's got good athleticism/quickness for a PG. Very good size at 6'3 with a 6'8 wingspan. I watched 3 games combined with 3 in-game highlights. His most promising skillset is probably his shooting off the dribble? Seems like he has a stepback 3pter down and consistently in his arsenal. I think he does a good job using on-ball screens to get his shots off. Ball handling can get a little loose especially on the move, but he has some really nice ISO moves that help him create space. He has solid to good lateral quickness on D. The thing I didn't see from him is the finishing ability. He falls in-love with his step-back 3s too much, and doesn't get aggressive enough attacking the rim. With his good quickness, long strides, and big wingspan, I want to see how he fairs as a finisher. I just didn't get a very good idea. He seems ok, but I suspect it's probably a weakness of his because he just doesn't attack enough. His shot selection is a bit wild, but not bad. He doesn't really excel anywhere, but I see him ass a very solid PG with room to grow.

I haven't finished looking at all the other PGs in this draft, but I have a 1st round grade on him. I think he's being slept on. I'm not sure why because he checks a lot of the boxes.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#6 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:08 pm

I don't like that he has production in French league though. It's good that he is producing, but French league is very notorious for being a league where none of the teams play defense against point guards. Pretty much any decent point guard or combo guard tears up French league.

That's a concern, because it makes his production seem much more impressive than it really it is.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 pm

What made Ntilikina a much better prospect other than size?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 pm

clyde21 wrote:What made Ntilikina a much better prospect other than size?

Nothing.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#9 » by Nyce_1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:59 am

I hope my Magic can get him. Fits the mold of what our execs like in a player.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#10 » by DrCoach » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:44 pm

clyde21 wrote:What made Ntilikina a much better prospect other than size?

this is the NBA, size matters

6'6 with a 7ft wingspan at 18 yrs old.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#11 » by EvanZ » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 am

I like Okobo. Added him to my board at 23 or 24 right behind Melton.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#12 » by kennydorglas » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:53 am

Okobo and that australian PG are my draft and stash favorites so far.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#13 » by GimmeDat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:11 am

kennydorglas wrote:Okobo and that australian PG are my draft and stash favorites so far.

William McDowell-White? I'm not sure what to make of him, not a lot of footage around.

I do think he's got good size, is an actual PG, slightly above average quickness, meh athlete in other aspects, only 6'5 wingspan, seemed to have a crafty but bit loose handle from several year old footage, not sure how that's tightened up, nice release and hits a good percentage in Euro play.

Smart player and well rounded but no real skills or athleticism really gives him much stock imo, I'd probably have him late 2nd to undrafted, and this is coming from an Aussie.

Maybe he's developed more the last few years, guess we'll find out, but at this stage I think the other Aussies (Adel and Maker) both have more of a chance to get drafted.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 pm

GimmeDat wrote:William McDowell-White? I'm not sure what to make of him, not a lot of footage around.

I do think he's got good size, is an actual PG, slightly above average quickness, meh athlete in other aspects, only 6'5 wingspan, seemed to have a crafty but bit loose handle from several year old footage, not sure how that's tightened up, nice release and hits a good percentage in Euro play.

Smart player and well rounded but no real skills or athleticism really gives him much stock imo, I'd probably have him late 2nd to undrafted, and this is coming from an Aussie.

Maybe he's developed more the last few years, guess we'll find out, but at this stage I think the other Aussies (Adel and Maker) both have more of a chance to get drafted.

I'm pretty sure he only plays in Brose's reserve team in the German 2nd division, which is one of those very weak European 2nd divisions (nowhere near to the good ones like in France, Greece, Spain, Italy)...so hard to say where he is at right now.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:I don't like that he has production in French league though. It's good that he is producing, but French league is very notorious for being a league where none of the teams play defense against point guards. Pretty much any decent point guard or combo guard tears up French league.

That's a concern, because it makes his production seem much more impressive than it really it is.

If you watch him play, even without a defender he’s displaying advanced moves that are hard to guard, like pull-ups and step-backs.
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#16 » by coutournant » Wed May 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Okobo unreal tonight against Monaco (top team in France this season) in the first game of the playoffs :

44 points record of the season in France, 8/12 at 3pt 12/12 FT. Unfortunately Pau lost 99-97. Okobo scored 23 points in the fourth quarter

He was defended by Aaron Craft, best defender in France this year and and in every championship he played .

And France is a great championship in defense, it has produced some of the best european defenders over the past decades at each positions with Ntilikina, Pietrus brothers, Batum, Gobert, Mahinmi etc.

Okobo reminds me a bit of Gilbert Arenas
peja_the_legend
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#17 » by peja_the_legend » Wed May 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Fluid athlete,excellent shooter,great handles..fits modern NBA perfectly.He'll be drafted 15 places below Doncic but i bet he'll have a better career than him.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#18 » by nolang1 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 pm

coutournant wrote:Okobo unreal tonight against Monaco (top team in France this season) in the first game of the playoffs :

44 points record of the season in France, 8/12 at 3pt 12/12 FT. Unfortunately Pau lost 99-97. Okobo scored 23 points in the fourth quarter

He was defended by Aaron Craft, best defender in France this year and and in every championship he played .

And France is a great championship in defense, it has produced some of the best european defenders over the past decades at each positions with Ntilikina, Pietrus brothers, Batum, Gobert, Mahinmi etc.

Okobo reminds me a bit of Gilbert Arenas

Yeah his shooting has really come around the last few months and is much more legit than people give him credit for. I've ranked him in the 15-20 range for a while and even that may be underrating him.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#19 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 pm

My only issue is he is slightly older than I would like (21 later this year), I have Musa and Bitadze ahead because they are so much younger. Other than that his numbers and skillset look really good. Lotto caliber
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:I don't like that he has production in French league though. It's good that he is producing, but French league is very notorious for being a league where none of the teams play defense against point guards. Pretty much any decent point guard or combo guard tears up French league.

Didn't help Frank who was a 12 PER 9th man

Return to NBA Draft