Miles Bridges...what is his ceiling?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 905

Miles Bridges...what is his ceiling? 

Post#1 » by MugzZo » Tue May 1, 2018 8:48 am

He's a nice and explosive athlete, though a little undersized at the 4. I think he can be a 3/4 hybrid in the mold of Larry Johnson and Caron Butler. Hes still young and if he measures with atleast decent height and ok wingspan plus a good vert he could surprise in the combine. Miles also show is a decent shooter who shows signs of actually becoming a 3-D threat. Personally I like him for the Hornets. What are some of your guys thoughts on what kind of potential he has???

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Miles Bridges...what is his ceiling? 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Tue May 1, 2018 9:50 am

A more explosive Caron Butler, or something in between Caron Butler and Shawn Marion
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,748

Post#3 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 1, 2018 10:47 am

I would say his ceiling is lower than any of these guys listed. His ceiling is PJ Tucker/Joey Graham.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#4 » by GimmeDat » Tue May 1, 2018 1:05 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:I would say his ceiling is lower than any of these guys listed. His ceiling is PJ Tucker/Joey Graham.

Ceiling? PJ Tucker? :-? Athleticism and creation are lightyears apart imo.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 1, 2018 2:16 pm

You guys are tripping. He definitely has some better tools than Caron Butler, Shawn Marion, Tucker and Graham. Not to underrate those players, but the current NBA-model requires players to be more skilled than Buter or Marion was. And Bridges can already do stuff that both of those players couldn’t do in their careers. Bridges doesn’t have the length you’d want, but he’s super strong, super quick off his feet. I personally don’t see a comparison for him other than maybe something like Charles Barkley, but Bridges game will be different when he enters his prime. IMO he’s a better prospect than Jaylen Brown was. His game style is going to be a lot like a young Paul George, or a bigger Victor Oladipo in terms of him creating offense and playing off the ball/cutting to the basket. When he reaches his prime he’s going to look like a poor man’s LeBron in terms of play-style, not production. His ceiling IMO is an all-star, not superstar. Solid defense, but not great and high-end offensive player.

And I would put money down that he’s going to be exactly this type of player.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#6 » by Moooose » Tue May 1, 2018 3:09 pm

I like the mention of Shawn Marion, though I really doubt Bridges can average the same number of rebounds, steals, and blocks once he gets into the league. Maybe a lite version of Marion, but with better scoring / better shot creation and selection?

My initial comparison to him was Antoine Walker. But as I've watched their games, he's just more fluid than Walker was.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Tue May 1, 2018 6:42 pm

A version of Harrison Barnes that is good at basketball.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,606

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 1, 2018 6:44 pm

I know I'm wrong. But for some reason I just see Justin Anderson 2.0 with him.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#9 » by CoreyVillains » Tue May 1, 2018 7:08 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I know I'm wrong. But for some reason I just see Justin Anderson 2.0 with him.

I dont really think you are. What plus NBA skill does he bring to a team besides jumping high? He's a 3/4 tweener with a bad wingspan. 3's will be able to take him off the dribble and 4's will have no problem shooting over him. He's a mediocre shooter, he won't be able to create for himself at the NBA level, he doesn't draw FT's at a high rate, I think he has poor lateral movement. I think he has decent vision but his usage is going to be low so he won't even be able to use it much. If he is going to succeed at the NBA level he'll do it moving off the ball and in transition. I think he'll be a good bench piece in the right situation, but I'd stay away from him at the top part of the draft.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,606

Post#10 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 1, 2018 7:22 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I know I'm wrong. But for some reason I just see Justin Anderson 2.0 with him.

I dont really think you are. What plus NBA skill does he bring to a team besides jumping high? He's a 3/4 tweener with a bad wingspan. 3's will be able to take him off the dribble and 4's will have no problem shooting over him. He's a mediocre shooter, he won't be able to create for himself at the NBA level, he doesn't draw FT's at a high rate, I think he has poor lateral movement. I think he has decent vision but his usage is going to be low so he won't even be able to use it much. If he is going to succeed at the NBA level he'll do it moving off the ball and in transition. I think he'll be a good bench piece in the right situation, but I'd stay away from him at the top part of the draft.

I get Bridges might be an inch taller and might have an inch or two on the vertical. But I actually think Anderson moves better laterally which led to him being a better and more versatile defender in college. I'm not really sold on either one of their jumpers, even though Bridges is a better shooter than Anderson coming out (I know Anderson shot very well his Junior year, just one year though). I think Bridges showed more on ball skills but not sure they translate to the NBA.

Just when I see Bridges I see Anderson. I see a big strong athletic wing that comes off the bench.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#11 » by daoneandonly » Tue May 1, 2018 7:23 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:

I get Bridges might be an inch taller and might have an inch or two on the vertical. But I actually think Anderson moves better laterally which led to him being a better and more versatile defender in college. I'm not really sold on either one of their jumpers, even though Bridges is a better shooter than Anderson coming out (I know Anderson shot very well his Junior year, just one year though). I think Bridges showed more on ball skills but not sure they translate to the NBA.

Just when I see Bridges I see Anderson. I see a big strong athletic wing that comes off the bench.

Good analysis here, I tend to agree
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,748

Post#12 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 1, 2018 9:34 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:I would say his ceiling is lower than any of these guys listed. His ceiling is PJ Tucker/Joey Graham.

People are mentioning clear all-stars. This guy doesn't look nor play like a future all-star. Seems like a role player who because he looks buff, people think is better than he is.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 1, 2018 9:35 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

People are mentioning clear all-stars. This guy doesn't look nor play like a future all-star. Seems like a role player who because he looks buff, people think is better than he is.

Disagree 100%
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#14 » by Upperclass » Tue May 1, 2018 11:44 pm

Anderson isnt a basketball player.. he's an athlete.. he should honestly have been a DE in the NFL. Bridges is a hooper, he just has slow feet and doesnt have a plethora of basketball moves.. but he knows how to play and he's pretty instinctive.

I really dont know who to compare him to.. he has a big soft body, but strong.. short wingspan.. slow jumper but can shoot.. poor handle but good vision and slow feet but can jump out of the gym.. its the weirdest combo ever, but I think he'll be successful somehow. He's a willing learner, appears to be a hard worker and seems to care about basketball a bit. His IQ is supremely lacking above all, so I dont see him leading a team ever, but should be a good 3rd performer.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#15 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue May 1, 2018 11:53 pm

His ceiling is more of a tweener Vince Carter.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#16 » by youngthegiant » Wed May 2, 2018 3:59 am

What Derrick Williams was supposed to be.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#17 » by Skin » Wed May 2, 2018 4:18 am

Tobias Harris long lost twin brother.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#18 » by saintEscaton » Wed May 2, 2018 4:19 pm

doordoor123 wrote:You guys are tripping. He definitely has some better tools than Caron Butler, Shawn Marion, Tucker and Graham. Not to underrate those players, but the current NBA-model requires players to be more skilled than Buter or Marion was. And Bridges can already do stuff that both of those players couldn’t do in their careers. Bridges doesn’t have the length you’d want, but he’s super strong, super quick off his feet. I personally don’t see a comparison for him other than maybe something like Charles Barkley, but Bridges game will be different when he enters his prime. IMO he’s a better prospect than Jaylen Brown was. His game style is going to be a lot like a young Paul George, or a bigger Victor Oladipo in terms of him creating offense and playing off the ball/cutting to the basket. When he reaches his prime he’s going to look like a poor man’s LeBron in terms of play-style, not production. His ceiling IMO is an all-star, not superstar. Solid defense, but not great and high-end offensive player.

Stopped reading there
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Post#19 » by Ettorefm » Wed May 2, 2018 7:24 pm

Great role player, or at most 5th best starter and weak link on a nice playoff, non contending team like 18' Jazz, Heat or Pacers.

Something like 80% of 17/18 Harrison Barnes - not style of play, but quality. 13/5/3 (if he gets the minutes as a starter on a mediocre team) on 44/35/82

A mix of Justin Anderson/James Johnson is his most probable result, which is very good. wouldn't pick him top 10, but that's me. After the top 7, I don't really see anyone that good, so a non-tanking team could pick him for his nba-ready body and game and I wouldn't have ap roblem with it.

I just would prefer betting on a raw prospect, who knows? Besides, you can get guys like Miles in free agency easily.
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Wed May 2, 2018 7:32 pm

saintEscaton wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:You guys are tripping. He definitely has some better tools than Caron Butler, Shawn Marion, Tucker and Graham. Not to underrate those players, but the current NBA-model requires players to be more skilled than Buter or Marion was. And Bridges can already do stuff that both of those players couldn’t do in their careers. Bridges doesn’t have the length you’d want, but he’s super strong, super quick off his feet. I personally don’t see a comparison for him other than maybe something like Charles Barkley, but Bridges game will be different when he enters his prime. IMO he’s a better prospect than Jaylen Brown was. His game style is going to be a lot like a young Paul George, or a bigger Victor Oladipo in terms of him creating offense and playing off the ball/cutting to the basket. When he reaches his prime he’s going to look like a poor man’s LeBron in terms of play-style, not production. His ceiling IMO is an all-star, not superstar. Solid defense, but not great and high-end offensive player.

Stopped reading there

At least you’re able to read two other sentences. I’m proud of you for learning to read. Soon enough you’ll be able to read an entire paragraph.

As for my comment, players nowadays have to learn a lot more on both sides of the ball because it’s about team defense, not so much individual defense, nowadays every player also has to have a handle and be able to pass and they pretty much also need to shoot or at least have a working jumper. Marion was effective and had a great feel for the game but he wasn’t very skilled. Same for Butler.

Return to NBA Draft