The Steve Clifford Thread 2.0 - Off the Cliff we go

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,660

Re: The Steve Clifford Thread 2.0 - Officially Fired 

Post#781 » by yosemiteben » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:01 pm

So, just to be clear, you both think he faked a ligament tear in his elbow? Or are you just mad that he got injured and didn't come back 100%, so you are accusing him of...not actually being injured?
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#782 » by Joest2003 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:41 pm

yosemiteben wrote:So, just to be clear, you both think he faked a ligament tear in his elbow? Or are you just mad that he got injured and didn't come back 100%, so you are accusing him of...not actually being injured?

Do you know how to read?

When did I once say he faked an injury?.. I'll wait on that.

Oh so his elbow injury was the reason he couldn't at least try to attempt to fight through screens, leaving one of the best shooters in the history of the NBA (klay) wide open on 3 of the first 5 possessions of a game? Or how about his lack of effort on both ends of the floor? Does an elbow injury cause that? Funny because Walker had a busted wrist and shoulder all season and never used that as an excuse. Also funny how there was no mention of an elbow injury when batum had good games. Only when he stunk it up.

That's whay happens when you give a soft European soccer style player 20 million a season for 5 years. They go back to what they really are. A soft cupcake.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#783 » by yosemiteben » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:So, just to be clear, you both think he faked a ligament tear in his elbow? Or are you just mad that he got injured and didn't come back 100%, so you are accusing him of...not actually being injured?

Do you know how to read?

I'm pretty good at reading.

When you used quotes around "injuried." I was just asking why you did that, because quotes usually indicate that you disagree with the characterization of what you are quoting.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#784 » by Joest2003 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:

Do you know how to read?

I'm pretty good at reading.

When you used quotes around "injuried." I was just asking why you did that, because quotes usually indicate that you disagree with the characterization of what you are quoting.

I belive he was injuried but after you decide to come back and even months after you decide to come back I don't want to hear about that injury anymore. He decided to come back no one forced him. He's just soft.

Honestly. Have you ever seen him show any signs of emotion on the court? Ever seen him get a and 1 and let out a little yell or any type of aggression whatsoever? He is whay he is. A soft Frenchman that doesn't have a competitive bone in his body. Must drive Walker insane playing with a guy like that
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#785 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Has an interview with the Suns. I don't think he's finished being a head coach. Cho is finished though.
It has been written...
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#786 » by predators » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:18 pm

After randomly catching Kroeger's interview with Kupchak, I'm not surprised. I'm not one to really read into things that aren't there, but by the end of it I was like, " see ya Cliff. "
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,748

Post#787 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:11 pm

the best fit for Clifford is Memphis... but I'd hope him take a break from coaching... dude has no wife, no kids, too dedicated to his job...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#788 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Read on Twitter
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#789 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:33 pm

Cliff notes: (yuck yuck)

Wasn't surprised he was let go. Keep your job by getting to and winning in the playoffs, and they didn't get there two years in a row. Should have been able to.

Totally understands situation and thinks that's how the NBA works. Thinks it was a great experience, looking forward to something new.

Team last season never developed an identity and way to play. For first four years, that wasn't a problem. First two years he outperformed expectations. Year 2 was coaching staff's best performance, was such a limited team. This year was the first time they had a mentality that kept them from getting better.

Wanted to have a defensive mentality that would allow them to win in the playoffs. Wanted a top 5 defensive team this season, was very disappointed in defensive performance.

Challenge with Dwight is that league is at a place where you want to be able to play 5 out and still have tough team defense. Next tier is guys that can create out of the PNR and then be elite defensively. What rim protectors need to do is not necessarily expand their offensive game, but expand their defensive game so they can guard out on the perimeter.

Coaching Kemba has been one of the things Cliff treasures most about coaching career.

Biggest challenge in NBA is coaching guys that have had a lot of other good coaches (specifically referred to Dwight), and you have to convince them that the way you want to defend an action is good for them and good for the team or you're going to lose them.

You have to be careful of how much you practice because if you practice too much you won't be able to attract free agents.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#790 » by Braggins » Wed May 2, 2018 3:16 pm

We heard for years, especially from Charlotte media people, that if we ever fired Clifford teams would be clamoring to sign him the second we let him go. Hes currently gotten roughly the same amount of league wide interest as Stephen Silas (one interview with a tanking team).
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#791 » by yosemiteben » Wed May 2, 2018 3:43 pm

Braggins wrote:We heard for years, especially from Charlotte media people, that if we ever fired Clifford teams would be clamoring to sign him the second we let him go. Hes currently gotten roughly the same amount of league wide interest as Stephen Silas (one interview with a tanking team).

To be fair, a lot of the debate was Cho vs. Cliff, and Cho hasn't gotten anything. Still a worthwhile point though.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,638

Post#792 » by fatlever » Wed May 2, 2018 5:10 pm

I think Cliff needs a year off to really get his health in order and a clear mind to decide if he really wants to continue this life.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#793 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu May 3, 2018 3:06 pm

Read on Twitter
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,243

Post#794 » by amcoolio » Thu May 3, 2018 3:17 pm

I would be shocked if Clifford gets another job. Phoenix passed him up for someone completely different, and save for the Knicks and Wizards, who are stuck in the 80's, every other franchise is forward thinking
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#795 » by fatlever » Sun May 6, 2018 2:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#796 » by fatlever » Sun May 6, 2018 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,243

Post#797 » by amcoolio » Sun May 6, 2018 2:57 pm

Hmmm... assistant coaches being underpaid culture problem? Or players? If you look at the tweet he's replying to...
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#798 » by Braggins » Sun May 6, 2018 3:37 pm

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I wish he elaborated on this.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#799 » by LofJ » Sun May 6, 2018 3:47 pm

We all know it was Dwight and he's Clifford's guy. One is gone, waiting on the other...
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,734

Post#800 » by 316Hornets » Sun May 6, 2018 3:57 pm

LofJ wrote:We all know it was Dwight and he's Clifford's guy. One is gone, waiting on the other...

Yep, Howard has created locker room problems everywhere he goes it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same here. Good luck trading him though. Not many teams in the league have the cap space for Howard and the ones that do aren't going to give us much, if anything. There's a reason we traded a bum Plum and Marco for him.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs

Return to Charlotte Hornets