Robert Williams

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Robert Williams 

Post#1 » by illastrate » Fri May 11, 2018 12:15 am

I've seen alot of mocks having Williams go to the Clippers to replace DeAndre Jordan. Would he be an adequate replacement for him? What's his ceiling?
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Re: Robert Williams 

Post#2 » by saintEscaton » Fri May 11, 2018 1:07 am

A little more explosive Capela/ poor man's McDyess ?
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#3 » by youngWizzy » Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 am

I like him a lot but he is definitely going to be hacked for his atrocious ft%.

Plays with such high motor. Good build, wish he was an inch taller.

I don't think he has great IQ. He would be a good fit on the Wizards if he falls that far.

Ceiling is Capela, I think his floor is Adebayo right now with rim protection.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#4 » by PhilBlackson » Fri May 11, 2018 2:31 am

I think he's the perfect pick for PHX with the news they're looking to offer max contract to Capela.

If I'm the Clippers though I'm not even worried about "finding a DeAndre replacement".

Not saying that RW couldn't be a good pick for them as well but their first concern since they just lost their 2 biggest stars n what seems like a probable unsuccessful off season luring FAs should be simply to get the BPAs at their picks. If that's Williams, sure take him! He might be one of em. But I'd definitely be taking a long look at players like Knox, Kostas or whatever other high upside player there might be in that range because ultimately you want to have a star player in LA to lure others in the future not plug holes into an incomplete roster as it is.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:03 am

At first I didn’t like him, even saw him live. But man, this guy is going to be a steal. He’s a really good on-ball defender for his size and he’s one of the most athletic players in the draft, if not the most athletic. Like he’s insane. If he maximizes his potential he’s one of the best players in this draft, which is crazy. Everyone wants to compare him to a Capela-like player, but this guy is so much more athletic and is a better one-on-one defender.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#6 » by illastrate » Fri May 11, 2018 6:02 am

PhilBlackson wrote:I think he's the perfect pick for PHX with the news they're looking to offer max contract to Capela.

If I'm the Clippers though I'm not even worried about "finding a DeAndre replacement".

Not saying that RW couldn't be a good pick for them as well but their first concern since they just lost their 2 biggest stars n what seems like a probable unsuccessful off season luring FAs should be simply to get the BPAs at their picks. If that's Williams, sure take him! He might be one of em. But I'd definitely be taking a long look at players like Knox, Kostas or whatever other high upside player there might be in that range because ultimately you want to have a star player in LA to lure others in the future not plug holes into an incomplete roster as it is.

Oh, I agree. I would personally go for the player with the highest ceiling. I want the guy with superstar potential and I think Knox fits that mold. However, if they do end up selecting Williams, I just wanted to know if he would be able to fill the void should DJ leave.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#7 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 am

What are his hands like when catching passes in the PnR?
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#8 » by pad300 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:01 pm

doordoor123 wrote:At first I didn’t like him, even saw him live. But man, this guy is going to be a steal. He’s a really good on-ball defender for his size and he’s one of the most athletic players in the draft, if not the most athletic. Like he’s insane. If he maximizes his potential he’s one of the best players in this draft, which is crazy. Everyone wants to compare him to a Capela-like player, but this guy is so much more athletic and is a better one-on-one defender.

Are you really sure this guy is much more athletic than Capela? Looking back at Capela's scouting reports on DX, http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Clint-Capela-6359/
Capela was an enormously athletic prospect himself. How much better can Williams actually be?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Fri May 11, 2018 4:59 pm

He's definitely not "so much more athletic".
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:08 pm

pad300 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:At first I didn’t like him, even saw him live. But man, this guy is going to be a steal. He’s a really good on-ball defender for his size and he’s one of the most athletic players in the draft, if not the most athletic. Like he’s insane. If he maximizes his potential he’s one of the best players in this draft, which is crazy. Everyone wants to compare him to a Capela-like player, but this guy is so much more athletic and is a better one-on-one defender.

Are you really sure this guy is much more athletic than Capela? Looking back at Capela's scouting reports on DX, http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Clint-Capela-6359/
Capela was an enormously athletic prospect himself. How much better can Williams actually be?

As someone who scouted Capela at the time, Capela was athletic, but not as athletic as Williams. Williams is literally one of the most athletic in this class. Capela wasn’t elite athletic and no one was expecting that out of him. It’s why he was under the radar for a lot of teams. His athleticism was above average for a guy his size. Williams is above and beyond average in terms of his athleticism. There’s no one his size that can jump the way he does in the NBA.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#11 » by Kolkmania » Fri May 11, 2018 8:48 pm

I get the Capela comparison from a physical standpoint, but the feel for the game is so important for these kind of players. Capela is the glue guy in this Houston team, he's probably the best center at defending the perimeter and his reads in the P&R are incredible. I don't see Williams doing the little things on the court, but it's really hard to predict how he'll impact the game in a couple of years.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#12 » by kodo » Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 pm

saintEscaton wrote:A little more explosive Capela/ poor man's McDyess ?

McDyess was a solid mid-range shooter.

Williams' 47% FT rate makes me think he won't be able to shoot at all.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#13 » by shakes0 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 pm

I've got him and Miles Bridges as the two early teen picks most likely to bust.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#14 » by saintEscaton » Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 pm

kodo wrote:
saintEscaton wrote:A little more explosive Capela/ poor man's McDyess ?

McDyess was a solid mid-range shooter.

Williams' 47% FT rate makes me think he won't be able to shoot at all.

Getting Stromile Swift vibes from him, except with a worse motor
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#15 » by kobyz » Sat May 12, 2018 1:29 pm

javele
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:58 pm

kobyz wrote:javele

I actually don’t think McGee is a bad comparison, but Williams is smaller and he’s a better on-ball defender.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#17 » by Duke4life831 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:47 pm

I think it is a massive mistake for Williams to skip the combine. This dude should be trying to get in front of the camera and teams as many times as he can to show them how athletic he is. He is the type of guy that shines at the combine. Hell skip the drills and scrimmage, just do the athletic testing.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I think it is a massive mistake for Williams to skip the combine. This dude should be trying to get in front of the camera and teams as many times as he can to show them how athletic he is. He is the type of guy that shines at the combine. Hell skip the drills and scrimmage, just do the athletic testing.

I disagree. If a team really likes him and he likes them, they can hide him from the rest of the teams.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#19 » by rumdiary » Sat May 12, 2018 9:45 pm

I actually felt like Capela's athleticism was very similar to Williams, and Capela was more raw when he entered the league.

Also - Capela's potential is maxxed out in Houston, he's extremely lucky to be in that situation, if he played for someone like Sacramento his 2k rating would be in the low 70s still :P
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#20 » by Duke4life831 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:48 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I think it is a massive mistake for Williams to skip the combine. This dude should be trying to get in front of the camera and teams as many times as he can to show them how athletic he is. He is the type of guy that shines at the combine. Hell skip the drills and scrimmage, just do the athletic testing.

I disagree. If a team really likes him and he likes them, they can hide him from the rest of the teams.

It all depends on what he wants from the draft. To go as high in the draft as he can to get the most money or to fall back to a team that he likes.

Return to NBA Draft