Josh Okogie

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Josh Okogie 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:07 am

Didn't see a dedicated thread for Okogie. His combination of athleticism, length for position, shooting could be damn near the best in the class. I think he ends up a lottery pick. This dude is a beast waiting to be unleashed.

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,691

Re: Josh Okogie 

Post#2 » by eminence » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:44 am

Don't think he gets up into the lottery, but I like him as a 3-D guy quite a lot, wouldn't be sad at all if Utah took him in the 1st.
I bought a boat.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#3 » by GimmeDat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:40 am

He's probably one of the more under-talked about guys in this class. I liked him as a role player *and then* I found out he's only 19 still.

I agree lottery is a stretch, but it wouldn't shock me if he was taken in the late 1st.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#4 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:08 am

I've watch every game of his. The main thing holding him back is ball handling. It's either hard left or right.

Not much wiggle similar to luwawu. He should be a strong player on both ends of fast breaks.

Not an explosive athlete however on the plus side. I think he will impress during individual workouts. Listed at 6-4, 215 at just 19. He could go big physical guard ala wade or cut weight and maximize his athletic ability.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,076

Post#5 » by The-Power » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 am

I like him a lot and would peg him as a mid-first on my draft board, probably. Might even sneak into the late lottery.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#6 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:44 am

He is def nice, wonder how much you can expect in terms of defensive impact from a 6'4 guy but he is long and athletic, seems to be a bigger Terry Rozier to me in the way he plays.

I used to like Rawle better than him, but that has flipped
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#7 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Fischella wrote:He is def nice, wonder how much you can expect in terms of defensive impact from a 6'4 guy but he is long and athletic, seems to be a bigger Terry Rozier to me in the way he plays.

I used to like Rawle better than him, but that has flipped

He has the same measurable as Donovan Mitchell and Khyri Thomas (who is one of the best defenders of the class) so I’m not sure his size is much of an issue. The problem with Okogie is that he doesn’t slide well. Good on-ball defender and he recovers well, but quicker guys will get by him.

A great thing about Okogie is that he’s super efficient handling in the P&R, which is super prevalent in the NBA. He also definitely has flashes and might be better in the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Okogie measured at 7' wingspan and he's 6'4" so he's actually somewhat longer than both Mitchell and Khyri who has 6'10" wingspans.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#9 » by GimmeDat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:10 am

EvanZ wrote:Okogie measured at 7' wingspan and he's 6'4" so he's actually somewhat longer than both Mitchell and Khyri who has 6'10" wingspans.

Reckon he could play stretches at SF when necessary with that sort of length?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:47 am

GimmeDat wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Okogie measured at 7' wingspan and he's 6'4" so he's actually somewhat longer than both Mitchell and Khyri who has 6'10" wingspans.

Reckon he could play stretches at SF when necessary with that sort of length?

I mean I would hope he wouldn't hurt you switching on 1-3, and maybe even some smaller 4's.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#11 » by Ball4life32 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:39 am

6’4.5” - SG
7 foot wingspan
42 inch vertical
Fastest 3/4 court sprint at the combine

Career - 16.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.5 spg
44% FG, 38% 3pt, 78% FT (2 seasons) 19 years old.

Impressed in the scrimmages. Is he a lock to go 1st round?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Sun May 20, 2018 2:42 am

Atlhawks09 wrote:6’4.5” - SG
7 foot wingspan
42 inch vertical
Fastest 3/4 court sprint at the combine

Career - 16.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.5 spg
44% FG, 38% 3pt, 78% FT (2 seasons) 19 years old.

Impressed in the scrimmages. Is he a lock to go 1st round?

:nod:
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,428

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 20, 2018 4:39 am

So I didn't really know much of anything about this guy, but his name keeps popping up on NetsDaily. I wound up watching 3 condensed games and although it's surely not the greatest way to evaluate, I guess it's better than watching just a highlight reel. Got to say, he's pretty impressive. Going to look out for full Georgia Tech games on replay in the coming weeks.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#14 » by kg01 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:39 am

CP War Hawks wrote:I've watch every game of his. The main thing holding him back is ball handling. It's either hard left or right.

Not much wiggle similar to luwawu. He should be a strong player on both ends of fast breaks.

Not an explosive athlete however on the plus side. I think he will impress during individual workouts. Listed at 6-4, 215 at just 19. He could go big physical guard ala wade or cut weight and maximize his athletic ability.

I concur with all this. I'd add that he's a really good kid. Won't be outworked so, although he doesn't jump out as a 'name' amongst the thousand early-entrants, I fully expected him to ascend the way he has. He's going to embarrass some highly-touted guy in an individual workout. I'm sure of that.

He's not a pure shooter but is capable and has shown improvement.

I liken him to a bigger Avery Bradley type. I'd be surprised if ATL doesn't nab him at 30, if he's still there.
king01 :king:
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#15 » by Ball4life32 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:27 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:So I didn't really know much of anything about this guy, but his name keeps popping up on NetsDaily. I wound up watching 3 condensed games and although it's surely not the greatest way to evaluate, I guess it's better than watching just a highlight reel. Got to say, he's pretty impressive. Going to look out for full Georgia Tech games on replay in the coming weeks.

Yeah he was pretty underrated coming out of HS (Rivals had him at #149) but obviously young for his class. He was right there with Dennis Smith, Jayson Tatum and Jonathan Isaac as far as freshman in the ACC last year. Definitely improved his sophomore year as well.
;
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 20, 2018 12:41 pm

kg01 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:I've watch every game of his. The main thing holding him back is ball handling. It's either hard left or right.

I concur with all this. I'd add that he's a really good kid. Won't be outworked so, although he doesn't jump out as a 'name' amongst the thousand early-entrants, I fully expected him to ascend the way he has. He's going to embarrass some highly-touted guy in an individual workout. I'm sure of that.

He's not a pure shooter but is capable and has shown improvement.

I liken him to a bigger Avery Bradley type. I'd be surprised if ATL doesn't nab him at 30, if he's still there.

I'm thinking more and more he's going to be a Brooklyn Nets target if he doesn't fly up boards too far, he checks a lot of their boxes.

The Nets are rumored to be looking at scenarios where they move up if needed to get their guy as well and have some pieces to do it. Not like wild jumps, but moves to get up into the early 20's from 29 if they need to, to secure a kid.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#17 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Atlhawks09 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:So I didn't really know much of anything about this guy, but his name keeps popping up on NetsDaily. I wound up watching 3 condensed games and although it's surely not the greatest way to evaluate, I guess it's better than watching just a highlight reel. Got to say, he's pretty impressive. Going to look out for full Georgia Tech games on replay in the coming weeks.

Yeah he was pretty underrated coming out of HS (Rivals had him at #149) but obviously young for his class. He was right there with Dennis Smith, Jayson Tatum and Jonathan Isaac as far as freshman in the ACC last year. Definitely improved his sophomore year as well.

Seems to be a really good athlete, but his first step looks just decent, not great. Imagining that's one of the reasons he hasn't drawn huge attention this year. There's a lot to like with him though. Young, very athletic overall, actual ball skills, seems to make quick decisive moves with and without the ball. Does he dig in on D? I've read his laterals aren't great though, but he has the length to make up for it. Also read he's a hard worker and has a good approach to the game. How's his bbiq?
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,238

Post#18 » by BadWolf » Sun May 20, 2018 3:45 pm

How do Smith, Okogie and Walker compare?
Who to take?
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#19 » by CptCrunch » Sun May 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Deanondraft has been pumping him for months
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,076

Post#20 » by The-Power » Sun May 20, 2018 4:46 pm

BadWolf wrote:How do Smith, Okogie and Walker compare?
Who to take?

Walker is the most talented out of the bunch, in my eyes. I'm not sure about his desire to play defense and work hard on and off the court, and off the ball – it was getting better over the course of the season but he might not be intrinsically motivated as much as others. If he works as hard as all other guys at the top of the draft, I wouldn't bet against him becoming a top five player in this draft.

I love Okogie as well. To me, he has been underrated for quite a while not least because he missed some of the season. But he has great athletic ability, usually plays hard, has a skill-set that should develop nicely and I like his ability to read and react. Also, it seems like he usually finds a way to be productive even without the ball in his hands. I have him as a lottery talent and I see a good team loving him in case he falls to the late 20's or even early 2nd round.

Less in love with Smith than many others. People love athletic freshmen and I get it. But I'm wary of Guards who are quite raw skill-wise and would avoid the risk early in the draft. He's a project and he could blossom into a really good player but I'm playing the odds and would take him later than Walker and Okogie. Both are, however, two of the players I'm really high on compared to others fully aware that I could be wrong on them, too.

I didn't have much time to do much scouting as of late, so I'm really not set on any ranking past the top guys I followed closely all year. But if I had to rank them, I'd have both Walker (betting on his potential if he does well in the interviews) and Okogie (I'm really intrigued by what he could bring to the table) in the 7-12 range and Smith probably somewhere in the 20's.

Return to NBA Draft