Kevin Huerter

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#41 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 pm

BlueSan wrote:I didnt watch much of the guy, but what I saw from tape, I dislike what I saw defensively

Speaking of Boston, i wonder how far some of the prospects will fall down, but I wonder about DiV and Carter and where they will end up

Rumor is DiVicenzo is thinking about returning to school. His camp thinks he can go higher next year.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#42 » by BlueSan » Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
BlueSan wrote:I didnt watch much of the guy, but what I saw from tape, I dislike what I saw defensively

Speaking of Boston, i wonder how far some of the prospects will fall down, but I wonder about DiV and Carter and where they will end up

Rumor is DiVicenzo is thinking about returning to school. His camp thinks he can go higher next year.

I would disagree here as also he had a good combine. Idk always tricky but would personally like to see him in this draft getting drafted by some good team
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 pm

BlueSan wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I would disagree here as also he had a good combine. Idk always tricky but would personally like to see him in this draft getting drafted by some good team

I also disagree, I think he should come out this year.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#44 » by EvanZ » Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm

From what I hear he's a first round pick, and if you're a first round pick you should come out.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#45 » by EvanZ » Mon May 21, 2018 9:57 pm

Sounds like he's staying in to me.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/donte-divincenzo-villanova-nba-draft-combine-20180521.html

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:21 pm

EvanZ wrote:Sounds like he's staying in to me.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/donte-divincenzo-villanova-nba-draft-combine-20180521.html

Read on Twitter

There have been contradictory reports
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#47 » by stitches » Tue May 22, 2018 4:17 pm

I will be doing some of my annual prospect watch with notes here. I'm starting with Kevin Huerter.

Huerter vs Michigan state

-first defensive position - good box out and rebound vs Bridges
-first offensive possession - doesn't shy away from shooting... launched a shot from 30 feet with 23 seconds on the clock
-makes the nice extra pass for wide open 3 for teammate on the break
-damn... nice help defense and rejection on the low block by Huerter. Good timing and instincts on the jump
-moves the ball and cuts on offense
-bad closeout, got beat easily... his feet were not great on this one, gave up and 1 trying to recover on the drive by Langford
-rises from 3 coming off the pnr even though his big slipped it , used the defender's hesitation... drains it. His shot looks really nice.
-fights through screen off ball on D... not great technique but good effort, contests the shot.
-Bridges drives against him, good initial step, but seems like he didn't anticipate the secondary burst, help defense saved his ***.
-drives from the top of the key with defender in front of him, but couldn't beat his man with speed. Still finishes through/over his man and the help defender. Might have good touch and length?
-another not great closeout. Bridges beats him easily baseline and assists for a dunk. He needs to do better containing penetration in those situations. It wasn't even a big closeout he needed to do.
-nice fake/juke and cut that left him open cutting to the rim, but his PG didn't pull the trigger on the pass.
-good effort chasing his man around screens, not great technique defending the iso(crosses feet, turns body sideways... lucky this time)
-comes off screen, great vision and instincts to see the artificial PnR that was created on the handoff and pass it to his big. He's not just a shooter it seems. He can make the right decision not just looking to score.
-shoots on the hand-off... looks natural, rims out.
-attacks the PnR after his big slips it again... this time drives and draws a foul.
-he fights through screens, this is my biggest takeaway defensively so far. Might not have the best feet on D, but he does give effort.
-this time drives left(previous drives were going right), stops and spins, creates enough space to hit his fadeaway jumper from about 12 feet.
-end of the half. Will be watching the second half later and adding comments here.

-second half
-sweet pass on a slipped screen on the left wing.
-gets the ball on the move off screen again, attacks the paint, collapses the defense... makes the right read again and finds open man in the corner... I'm beginning to really really like his fit in our offense. Quin will love him offensively, he already is doing things that Quin makes our players do - quick reads and decisions on the move.
-creates a ton of space on a stepback but misses the 3p shot
-good pocket pass in the pnr, his big scores after a dribble and a post move.
-he continues to give effort on D and contest shots even when he gets stuck on a screen a bit.
-I don't like his feet in man on man defense.
-bad pass on a slipped screen
-tries to go one on one... I don't think he has the speed for it, gets shut down.
-again, tries to go one on one... this time he drew the help defender(IMO the help didn't need to come, his man was in front of him still) and made the right bounce pass for an and 1.
-he's too good of a decisionmaker to be kept in the corner and it happens way too often IMO.
-tried to play off the bounce again but hesitated and gave up his dribble... then shot an ill-advised 3 off-rhythm with 24 seconds on the clock.
-very good transition D, found the man with the ball and prevented the shot, but this was followed by bad PNR D - decided to go under the screen on a 50% 3p shooter Cassius Winston and he drained it.
-they let him run the PnR, doesn't seem shifty and quick enough but he sells the drive to the middle and spins the other way going to the rim - draws a foul. Scores both FTs.
-gets fouled again on a handcheck... gotta think the threat of him shooting has something to do with it.. missed both FTs, weird.
- coming off screen, squares up, great elevation... beautiful shot. Drains it!
- they put him in the pnr again - this time he follows his man over the screen and recovers then blocks his shot from behind. Nice!
- gives up a good shot for better wide open 3 from the corner for a teammate. He continues to make the right plays majority of the time.
-scored some more FTs at the end of the game.

OK... summary time:
Defense: I don't like his technique and feet when guarding 1 on 1 and he can have better feet on close outs, with that said - he works his butt off fighting through screens, never gives up on plays, goes for the contest every time. I am having hard time figuring out if his bad feet are a question of just... being slow-footed on D or technique. Several possessions suggest that it might be fixable with some coaching(for example he was crossing his feet all the time and getting faked because of it).
Offense: I love him on the move! The pleasant surprise was his playmaking for others and his decision making on the move. He makes the right play almost always. I am not sure he's got the skill and wiggle to create offense on-ball, but if he gets a step on his defender he's dangerous both to score and to pass. He seemed a bit slow and unimaginative with his moves on ball. His shot is pure though... he squares up quickly and seamlessly even when coming off screens and need to make sharp turn toward the basket to shoot it. Very very very(!!!) nice release, it's high and it's smooth, very repeatable. I love it.

I am glad I spent this hour or so watching him. I think I will be bumping him up my board. Walt Perrin said yesterday that we need more shooting. He is precisely that and I can absolutely see why Quin would love him. All those exercises he does with the players for catching on the move and making quick decisions with the ball - Huerter seems to do this naturally + the shot of course. I still need to see more of him finishing at the rim.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#48 » by EvanZ » Tue May 22, 2018 6:10 pm

stitches wrote: I still need to see more of him finishing at the rim.

Wow, great work man. I love the depth of your notes.

Regarding finishing, what I really like about him is his ability to finish softly with either hand.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#49 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Kevin Huert Breakdown - stats, synergy, clip analysis, and breakdown of game.

https://thefrontofficeeye.com/2018/05/22/kevin-huerter-breakdown/

Can y'all post this places? Reddit, twitter (tweet at people?), facebook, other forums, etc? Anywhere you guys post this is super helpful.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,238

Post#50 » by BadWolf » Sat May 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Better or worse then Kennard? Looks similar beyond obvious white on white comp.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 26, 2018 5:07 pm

His jumpers go into the basket so effortlessly. The ball just has such a great motion.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#52 » by PLO » Sat May 26, 2018 5:31 pm

BadWolf wrote:Better or worse then Kennard? Looks similar beyond obvious white on white comp.

If you're asking was Kennard better this time last year than Huerter is now the answer is yes. Luke Kennard is a high IQ player who tends to make the right decision and that was one of his selling points as a prospect. Yes, Huerter has shown glimpses of this but not to the level Kennard displayed.

Huerter has an inch or so on Kennard, though to be honest I don't think much really separates them athletically even if Huerter is probably more agile. Both shoot really well though for me Huerter's shot looks better aesthetically. Possibly Huerter has the higher upside just because the extra inch or so he has in height and wingspan, but going into the draft Kennard clearly the better, more rounded player.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#53 » by EvanZ » Sat May 26, 2018 6:02 pm

PLO wrote:
BadWolf wrote:Better or worse then Kennard? Looks similar beyond obvious white on white comp.

If you're asking was Kennard better this time last year than Huerter is now the answer is yes. Luke Kennard is a high IQ player who tends to make the right decision and that was one of his selling points as a prospect. Yes, Huerter has shown glimpses of this but not to the level Kennard displayed.

Huerter has an inch or so on Kennard, though to be honest I don't think much really separates them athletically even if Huerter is probably more agile. Both shoot really well though for me Huerter's shot looks better aesthetically. Possibly Huerter has the higher upside just because the extra inch or so he has in height and wingspan, but going into the draft Kennard clearly the better, more rounded player.

Huerter has 2-3" on Kennard in every measurement. That's significantly different from "an inch or so" (every inch matters in the NBA). He's closer in length to Klay than Kennard tbh. I actually like Kennard and think he was one of the more underrated rookies this season, especially when he got more pt towards the end of the season.

I think the main difference between the two as prospects is that Huerter has a clear path to getting on the court as a wing. Kennard really needs to transition to more of a playmaking 2 or better yet a 1. That path seems more difficult but hopefully he can pull it off as well.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,285

Post#54 » by Chuck Everett » Sat May 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Kennard will never be able to transition to playing point guard on this level. He's a 2G.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#55 » by PLO » Sat May 26, 2018 6:33 pm

EvanZ wrote:
PLO wrote:

Huerter has 2-3" on Kennard in every measurement. That's significantly different from "an inch or so" (every inch matters in the NBA). He's closer in length to Klay than Kennard tbh. I actually like Kennard and think he was one of the more underrated rookies this season, especially when he got more pt towards the end of the season.

I think the main difference between the two as prospects is that Huerter has a clear path to getting on the court as a wing. Kennard really needs to transition to more of a playmaking 2 or better yet a 1. That path seems more difficult but hopefully he can pull it off as well.

Well height wise its under 2 inches and wingspan just over 2 inches, but I agree every inch counts, however you wouldn't say that in NBA terms Huerter is that long though.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#56 » by EvanZ » Sat May 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Other than length, I think Huerter is also way more explosive around the rim (can finish with either hands) and generally a higher level athlete than Kennard.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#57 » by MalonesElbows » Sun May 27, 2018 4:03 am

Not sold on Huerter. If it looks like Stauskas, it it walks like Stauskas, talks like a Stauskas.....
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by doordoor123 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:11 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:Not sold on Huerter. If it looks like Stauskas, it it walks like Stauskas, talks like a Stauskas.....

It doesn’t look like Stauskas... Other than being white and being able to make threes.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#59 » by bootsythornton » Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Can someone posts his measurements vs. Klay Thompson's?
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Post#60 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun May 27, 2018 5:51 pm

Klay is 2 inches in standing reach and 1.5 inches in wingspan longer than Huerter.

Huerter has the same SR and wingspan as Jimmy Butler, for what it’s worth.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax

Return to NBA Draft