ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: MJ or LeBron? Who is the GOAT?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who is the GOAT?

Michael Jordan
75%
LeBron James
25%

Total votes: 185

nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

OT: MJ or LeBron? Who is the GOAT? 

Post#1 » by nykfan42 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:13 pm

I'm extremely bored at work and this debate is something I find to be intriguing. I think it's late enough in LeBron's career to realistically compare him to Michael. MJ played 15 seasons, LeBron has 15 seasons under his belt.

I know both are different players in terms of style of play but both players in their eras were the face of the NBA.

LeBron is a freight train and Michael was an assassin. And we all know MJ was 6-0 and LeBron is 3-5 in the Finals (probably gonna be 3-6 just saying)

To me, MJ is the GOAT. I've probably made that clear in some of my posts already. When you look at his body of work, besides the rings, MJ has far more accolades. Could be more if he didn't retire so early.
- 14x All Star
- 11x All-NBA
- 10x Scoring champ
- 9x All NBA Defense
- 5x MVP
- 6x Finals MVP
- Rookie of the Year
- Defensive Player of the Year
- Played all 82 games 9 times (LeBron did it ONCE and that was this year 2017-2018)

With the game on the line there isn't any player I would choose to take the last shot besides Michael Jordan. LeBron has improved in that area but he doesn't come close to Michael here. I've never seen a guy embrace the big moment more than him. He played with the flu in the Finals and dropped 38. LeBron got carried off the court because the Spurs' Air Conditioner was malfunctioning or something along those lines. MJ also played in an era where hand-checking was allowed and players were not soft like today. Flopping I don't think was a topic at all back then and LeBron is a notorious flopper.

I'm sure there is more to add so I'll let the debate begin.
Make the Knicks great again!
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Re: OT: MJ or LeBron? Who is the GOAT? 

Post#2 » by King of Canada » Wed May 30, 2018 9:14 pm

It’s like arguing cake vs pie
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#3 » by ChaosHamster » Wed May 30, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't know, but I think people who say its not even close - are wrong.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#4 » by GONYK » Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 pm

It's a silly debate, but I will throw in my 2c anyway.

Jordan. Easily.

The only thing Bron has over Jordan is stats.

Jordan did his thing in an era of less spacing, way less 3 pt shooting, and significantly more physicality.

Jordan was also entirely capable of putting up the gaudy stats that Lebron does. He's every bit the all-around player.

Even without any of that though, Jordan is better simply because of his competitive fire. It dwarfs Bron's.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Post#5 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:28 pm

i give it to lebron. is there any team where 2 mvps joined forces to beat mj? also lebron is the more complete basketball player, if you ask me.

i wanna say dont look at it like that, where there is only one GOAT. because you just cant get prove for the correct answer. by now there are many cases to be made for lebron. its not only individual accolades and "when the game is on the line", especially when there are so many blowouts in todays game, because of the 3 and modern way of playing the game.

gun to my head, have to pick one. Im taking lebron.
but in reality todays game is a totally different game than in the 90's/late 80's, so we wont get a clear cut answer to that, ever!
im bout dat action boss
Knickerbock
Sixth Man
And1: 897

Post#6 » by Knickerbock » Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 pm

It’s most interesting that majority of those LeBron is GOAT “debaters” have only watched LeBron’s tenure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#7 » by Fury » Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:i give it to lebron. is there any team where 2 mvps joined forces to beat mj? also lebron is the more complete basketball player, if you ask me.

i wanna say dont look at it like that, where there is only one GOAT. because you just cant get prove for the correct answer. by now there are many cases to be made for lebron. its not only individual accolades and "when the game is on the line", especially when there are so many blowouts in todays game, because of the 3 and modern way of playing the game.

but in reality todays game is a totally different game than in the 90's/late 80's, so we wont get a clear cut answer to that, ever!

LeBron won his first two titles joining up with another MVP caliber player. Malone and Stockton isn’t far off from Curry/Durant imo. The difference is they also have Green and Thompson. And it’s a different game. That Sonic team was pretty dam good, too.

There isn’t an answer to this. Both are the GOATs of their era
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,507

Post#8 » by Buttah304 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm

GONYK wrote:It's a silly debate, but I will throw in my 2c anyway.

Jordan. Easily.

The only thing Bron has over Jordan is stats.

Jordan did his thing in an era of less spacing, way less 3 pt shooting, and significantly more physicality.

Jordan was also entirely capable of putting up the gaudy stats that Lebron does. He's every bit the all-around player.

Even without any of that though, Jordan is better simply because of his competitive fire. It dwarfs Bron's.

Jordan was the better player but "easily" absolutely not. Your making it seem like it does not even warrant discussion or debate.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#9 » by ChaosHamster » Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Knickerbock wrote:How man finals has Jordan’s bulls lost? Now compare to Lebron ...

This literally is the dumbest argument..
NoStatsGuy
Analyst

Post#10 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Fury wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:i give it to lebron. is there any team where 2 mvps joined forces to beat mj? also lebron is the more complete basketball player, if you ask me.

LeBron won his first two titles joining up with another MVP caliber player. Malone and Stockton isn’t far off from Curry/Durant imo. The difference is they also have Green and Thompson. And it’s a different game. That Sonic team was pretty dam good, too.

To be fair he did that, because the celtics got 3 hall of famers aaaand pippen was an mvp candidate after jordan left, so :lol:
im bout dat action boss
Knickerbock
Sixth Man
And1: 897

Post#11 » by Knickerbock » Wed May 30, 2018 9:39 pm

My opinion : Just from LeBrons on court bitchassness he will never be considered on Michaels level.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#12 » by spree8 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Jordan and it’s not even close.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 15,655

Post#13 » by Im Coming Home » Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 pm

6 for 6 in the finals, and could've won more if he didn't want to try baseball.

End of story.

People like to bring up Lebron's "consecutive finals appearances" as if beating up on the **** Eastern Conference basically his entire career is impressive.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#14 » by nykfan42 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:42 pm

Fury wrote:

That gets overlooked. Some don't realize that was one of the best duos of all-time and beat them twice.
Make the Knicks great again!
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#15 » by NYKHardKnock » Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 pm

LeBron is so good they had to create a super team just to beat him. Lebron had some great teammates, MJ had better teams and Phil Jackson.

Skill wise goes to LBJ
Career wises MJ easily

But id rather have LBJ because hes the perfect embodiment of the perfect player.

At this point you shouldnt be shamed arguing both ways here.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#16 » by GONYK » Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:LeBron is so good they had to create a super team just to beat him. Lebron had some great teammates, MJ had better teams and Phil Jackson.

Skill wise goes to LBJ
Career wises MJ easily

But id rather have LBJ because hes the perfect embodiment of the perfect player.

When did this happen?

Nobody formed anything to beat Lebron by himself.

Why would they need to? Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis was enough to beat him.
NYKnicks6
Senior
And1: 399

Post#17 » by NYKnicks6 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Without a doubt Jordan.
MJ prevented multiple top 50 players of all time and many hall of famers from ever winning a ring.
Barkley
Kevin Johnson
Ewing
Reggie Miller
Karl malone
John Stockton
Shawn Kemp
Anfernee Hardaway

Clyde Drexler and Gary Payton both won after MJ retired.

I hated MJ...absolutely hated him with a passion. However, I had no choice but to respect him. He's the best ever..
NYKnicks6
Senior
And1: 399

Post#18 » by NYKnicks6 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:29 pm

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:LeBron is so good they had to create a super team just to beat him. Lebron had some great teammates, MJ had better teams and Phil Jackson.

Skill wise goes to LBJ
Career wises MJ easily

Did you totally forget the whole I'm taking my talents to south beach shenanigans.... He started the whole super team big 3 scenario.

Plus Golden State beat Lebron in the finals prior to Durant signing with them.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst

Post#19 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 10:31 pm

GONYK wrote:

Skill wise goes to LBJ
Career wises MJ easily

When did this happen?

Nobody formed anything to beat Lebron by himself.

it was a chain of events kind of.

the celtics formed a super team to beat the lakers/Spurs. Then miami was formed because noone could get past the celtics for 2 years only tbh, gsw was then formed because the best regular season team in history choked away a 3-1 lead in the finals and the 2nd best player in the league played with a point guard, who wouldnt pass him the ball and also got his ass kicked by lebon/wade in the finals before.

its a legit argument if you ask me
im bout dat action boss
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#20 » by blueNorange » Wed May 30, 2018 10:31 pm

lebron james.

i only saw wizards' jordan, but i've seen lebron since day 1 and you can't tell me a shooting guard is better than a point forward.

comparing jordan to kobe makes sense, they play the same position. lebron is positionless. he can play all 5 positions.

the people voting jordan are just tight and salty lebron doesn't want to join this piss run franchise.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks