Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#101 » by Duke4life831 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 pm

Catchall wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I see him as a slightly lower version than Nik Stauskas as a prospect. Lets see if he can pan out though unlike Stauskas.

He's bigger and more athletic than Stauskas, imo. Looks like a better shooter too.

Same wingspan, just about an inch if that in height. So size wise not too big of a difference. In game athleticism I thought they were pretty similar. Combine testing Nik did slightly better in the lane and shuttle while still have a 35.5 vert compared to Kevin's 38. So again athletically and size wise I think they're pretty similar, and to me both moved very similarly on the court.

Nik was a sharpshooter in college, he shot 44% from 3 both seasons and 85 and 82% from the line. Compared to Kevin who shot 37 and 41% from 3 (Nik had more attempts) and shot 71 and 76% from the line. I think both have similar release points on their shot as well. I thought Nik had a little tighter handle than Huerter has right now as well.

I'm not saying Stauskas as a negative thing. I thought he was a really good mid 1st round prospect, he just hasn't panned out is all. I think Huerter can be a Stauskas that pans out. In another word, a perfect SG in today's game if you already have a ball dominant player. Guys like Klay, Korver, and Redick can be huge weapons.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#102 » by RipCity71252 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:04 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I see him as a slightly lower version than Nik Stauskas as a prospect. Lets see if he can pan out though unlike Stauskas.

He's bigger and more athletic than Stauskas, imo. Looks like a better shooter too.

Same wingspan, just about an inch if that in height. So size wise not too big of a difference. In game athleticism I thought they were pretty similar. Combine testing Nik did slightly better in the lane and shuttle while still have a 35.5 vert compared to Kevin's 38. So again athletically and size wise I think they're pretty similar, and to me both moved very similarly on the court.

Nik was a sharpshooter in college, he shot 44% from 3 both seasons and 85 and 82% from the line. Compared to Kevin who shot 37 and 41% from 3 (Nik had more attempts) and shot 71 and 76% from the line. I think both have similar release points on their shot as well. I thought Nik had a little tighter handle than Huerter has right now as well.

I'm not saying Stauskas as a negative thing. I thought he was a really good mid 1st round prospect, he just hasn't panned out is all. I think Huerter can be a Stauskas that pans out. In another word, a perfect SG in today's game if you already have a ball dominant player. Guys like Klay, Korver, and Redick can be huge weapons.

The thing that makes Huerter a safer bet than Stauskas to me is he actually might be an OK defender (good dbpm, blk % and Dreb % for a SG). Better playmaker for his age too.

Could be role related, but Nik only had a 7.6% assist rate as a 19 year old freshman.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Post#103 » by Duke4life831 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:18 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

The thing that makes Huerter a safer bet than Stauskas to me is he actually might be an OK defender (good dbpm, blk % and Dreb % for a SG). Better playmaker for his age too.

Could be role related, but Nik only had a 7.6% assist rate as a 19 year old freshman.

I don't necessarily think it makes him safer. I think you can make the argument Nik being the more consistent 3pt shooter made him a safer bet because that is the main skill set they're getting drafted on. They're getting drafted to be the next Redick/Korver type guy. I don't think Huerter is going to be assisting much and I think his defense is going to be up in the air on how effective it's going to be.

Again not trying to downplay Huerter, I think he's a very intriguing prospect and I'm sure a winning team is probably going to snatch him up and that will be huge. Who knows what Nik's career would've looked like it he went to a Boston/SA/GS or something along those lines. I'm just trying to compare him to Nik as a prospect, strictly as a prospect, I thought Nik was the slightly better prospect.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#104 » by RipCity71252 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I don't necessarily think it makes him safer. I think you can make the argument Nik being the more consistent 3pt shooter made him a safer bet because that is the main skill set they're getting drafted on. They're getting drafted to be the next Redick/Korver type guy. I don't think Huerter is going to be assisting much and I think his defense is going to be up in the air on how effective it's going to be.

Again not trying to downplay Huerter, I think he's a very intriguing prospect and I'm sure a winning team is probably going to snatch him up and that will be huge. Who knows what Nik's career would've looked like it he went to a Boston/SA/GS or something along those lines. I'm just trying to compare him to Nik as a prospect, strictly as a prospect, I thought Nik was the slightly better prospect.

Fair points. Just think Huerter's better ancillary skills give him more scenarios to hang as a rotation wing even if he's not an elite shooter.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#105 » by EvanZ » Thu May 31, 2018 12:20 am

Stauskas came into the combine at 12% BF which is really bad for a guard/wing. I think one of his main issues was bad work ethic. Having said that, he’s not quite done in the league. If he gets his act together he could still be a role player.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#106 » by doordoor123 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:37 am

If Huerter was in the Stauskas draft he would have gone in the same spot, except Stauskas was in a weaker draft than this one.

Stauskas didn’t move as well at all on both sides of the ball. Just a lazy comparison IMO.

He was a slasher that was a good shooter. In contrast, Huerter is a perimeter player with shooting potential who can post up from time to time and can move better on defense. I don’t see him slashing like Stauskas at all. Stauskas’ passing looked better in college than it was in the NBA because he didn’t have the NBA speed he needed to open passing lanes in the NBA. Huerter is more of a passer on the fly.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#107 » by GimmeDat » Thu May 31, 2018 6:04 am

I think Huerter's release is more transferable to the NBA level, and more versatile in terms of coming off curls and stuff. Heurter looks quicker, is bigger, and fits in to a role easier than Stauskas who did more off the dribble stuff which hasn't really translated for him. And of course, massive difference on defense.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#108 » by KqWIN » Thu May 31, 2018 6:06 am

I agree with the Staukas comparison, but just because Stauskas did not pan out does not mean I think he was a bad prospect. The draft is not a perfect science. Two guys can appear to be somewhat similar during the predraft process and then go on to have completely different careers. I liked Stauskas, and now I like Huerter. Obviously they are not carbon copies of each other, but I like both prospects for similar reasons.

The most disappointing thing about Stauskas in the NBA is that he hasn't been close to the shooter we expected him to be. Hindsight is 20/20, we wouldn't have had any reason to suspect that he was going to be 35% career 3 point shooter and not develop any other parts of his game.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,748

Post#109 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 31, 2018 7:29 am

Stauskas was a better shooter than Huerter by every single metric. The reason he is not succeeding is because he has low confidence. I am sure you all remember his comments about why guys will go at him. If you have such low confidence in yourself and you will never succeed in the NBA. It's too difficult. Imagine if Stauskas had Belinelli or Jamal Crawford's level of confidence in his shot.

This is a guy who has been terrible in the NBA shooting open 3's at times. Huerter might excel over Stauskas simply by what's between his ears, but the guy was not a better shooter as a prospect. Could be better as a pro though. You never know.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#110 » by MalonesElbows » Thu May 31, 2018 10:45 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I think Huerter's release is more transferable to the NBA level, and more versatile in terms of coming off curls and stuff. Heurter looks quicker, is bigger, and fits in to a role easier than Stauskas who did more off the dribble stuff which hasn't really translated for him. And of course, massive difference on defense.

It's all revisionist history, flavor of the month,etc. I do agree Huerter is a better defender, but here are what executives and scouts were saying about Stauskas this time in 2014:

“He’s a lot like Klay Thompson in terms of body type and shooting,” the scout said. “Thompson is a pretty good ballhandler, but I think [Stauskas is] even better with the ball and a better passer than Thompson — and Klay Thompson is a fringe All-Star player. I love Klay Thompson, but I think Stauskas could be that good. Stauskas is good, man. He’s good.

“The thing is, as good a shooter as [Stauskas] is, and he might be the best shooter in the draft, but he’s much more than that. His skill as a handler and passer, he’s got long hands and a good passer . . . Nik Stauskas was hands-down the 2014 Big Ten Player of the Year in a conference with [Indiana forward] Noah Vonleh, [Michigan State guard] Gary Harris, [Michigan State forward] Adreian Payne, the Ohio State guys.

“Watch Stauskas and how teams defended him. They threw everything at him and he scored every way. You couldn’t shake him right. He’ll go left. You couldn’t handle him physically. He’s a real basketball player.”

“I would mention him first ahead of the rest of the guys,” said a Western Conference executive. “I think he’s got an NBA game. He’s got the size for the [shooting guard] position. And he’s an excellent shooter.

“He gets his shot away quickly with really good range. I think his game is going to transfer to the NBA really well. If he lasts until the late lottery, people are going to be really happy that they got him.”

“He’s bigger than you think,” said one Eastern Conference executive. “He’s a legitimate 6-6. He’s also more athletic than you think.”

“He’s the best pro shooter in the draft and he has the best pro jump shot in the draft,” said one league source familiar with Stauskas. “If he adds other stuff to his game, I think he’s going to be good.”

“Stauskas was especially impressive,” wrote ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford. “He measured with a 35.5-inch max [vertical leap], a 10.79 lane agility score, a 2.92 shuttle run and a 3.27 sprint. Those were all very good numbers and should boost his draft stock.”
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#111 » by kobyz » Thu May 31, 2018 11:40 pm

has some Rip Hamilton in him...
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#112 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:05 am

MalonesElbows wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think Huerter's release is more transferable to the NBA level, and more versatile in terms of coming off curls and stuff. Heurter looks quicker, is bigger, and fits in to a role easier than Stauskas who did more off the dribble stuff which hasn't really translated for him. And of course, massive difference on defense.

It's all revisionist history, flavor of the month,etc. I do agree Huerter is a better defender, but here are what executives and scouts were saying about Stauskas this time in 2014:

“He’s a lot like Klay Thompson in terms of body type and shooting,” the scout said. “Thompson is a pretty good ballhandler, but I think [Stauskas is] even better with the ball and a better passer than Thompson — and Klay Thompson is a fringe All-Star player. I love Klay Thompson, but I think Stauskas could be that good. Stauskas is good, man. He’s good.

“The thing is, as good a shooter as [Stauskas] is, and he might be the best shooter in the draft, but he’s much more than that. His skill as a handler and passer, he’s got long hands and a good passer . . . Nik Stauskas was hands-down the 2014 Big Ten Player of the Year in a conference with [Indiana forward] Noah Vonleh, [Michigan State guard] Gary Harris, [Michigan State forward] Adreian Payne, the Ohio State guys.

“Watch Stauskas and how teams defended him. They threw everything at him and he scored every way. You couldn’t shake him right. He’ll go left. You couldn’t handle him physically. He’s a real basketball player.”

“I would mention him first ahead of the rest of the guys,” said a Western Conference executive. “I think he’s got an NBA game. He’s got the size for the [shooting guard] position. And he’s an excellent shooter.

“He gets his shot away quickly with really good range. I think his game is going to transfer to the NBA really well. If he lasts until the late lottery, people are going to be really happy that they got him.”

“He’s bigger than you think,” said one Eastern Conference executive. “He’s a legitimate 6-6. He’s also more athletic than you think.”

“He’s the best pro shooter in the draft and he has the best pro jump shot in the draft,” said one league source familiar with Stauskas. “If he adds other stuff to his game, I think he’s going to be good.”

“Stauskas was especially impressive,” wrote ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford. “He measured with a 35.5-inch max [vertical leap], a 10.79 lane agility score, a 2.92 shuttle run and a 3.27 sprint. Those were all very good numbers and should boost his draft stock.”

I wouldn't call it revisionist, because I'm not trying to disparage Stauskas in making those evaluations. I liked him as a prospect, thought he'd shoot 35-40% from 3, and thought his handle and on-ball game was translate at least as a secondary creator.

As someone said, I think the mental side of it got to him a bit. The talent was there.

But I also stick by what I said about Heurter in comparison. There are several elements I think he does better at, and in particular, when I look at it in hindsight compared to how I evaluated Stauskas, I think the conclusion I get to is that Heurter is more likely to fit in to a role player role a lot better. His stroke is quicker and more one motion, and he can transition in to it effortlessly off curls and other actions, a bit like Jamal Murray's stroke. Stauskas was a elite stand-still shooter with a little bit of aptitude off the dribble, but in general I don't think the shot itself was as fluid. Heurter does have more size, is x10 the better defender, in some ways I'd say he's not quite the same athlete I viewed Stauskas as but I do think he's a tiny bit quicker, he moves off ball great, really high IQ, etc.

Banking on Stauskas to be anything more than a niche shooter (of which you would've assumed was a no-brainer given he shot 44% from 3 in college), was to be banking on his off the dribble stuff, and it just hasn't translated.

Heurter has that passing/IQ element to his game, and I think has potential to develop in to a secondary creator in PnR and other on-ball actions, but take that potential development away and I think he projects as a better role player than Stauskas would've.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#113 » by bootsythornton » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:17 am

I think he should go back to school. NCAA title potential next year for Maryland, he might solidify a top 15 pick as well.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#114 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:26 am

sportsyard wrote:I think he should go back to school. NCAA title potential next year for Maryland, he might solidify a top 15 pick as well.

Already decided to stay in. But you know what, I think he's 15-20 range regardless, so it's not much worse than he could do in 2019.
wickerhd
Bench Warmer
And1: 139

Post#115 » by wickerhd » Sat Jun 2, 2018 3:49 pm

His Dad was on a local radio show and it sure sounds like Kevin has a promise somewhere. The plan was always to have him just enter this year to prepare for next year. He really planned to go back to Maryland, but after the combine, his athleticism became apparent and the NBA scouts started swarming. His Dad made the point that the second contract is more important than draft position. Hopes Kevin is drafted by a team that doesn’t already have 5 guys at his position.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
****dave
gde684
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#116 » by gde684 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:28 am

Count me in on Huerter mania. I’m struggling to find a comp I think klay is really close. This guy is going to get buckets. I’d love to see him paired up with Trae young that would be a lethal backcourt

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#117 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:36 am

I'm sure KH is in play with Schlenk having scouted Klay and having the pick at 19.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#118 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 4, 2018 10:38 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:I'm sure KH is in play with Schlenk having scouted Klay and having the pick at 19.

He could be in play for the Clippers at 12 or 13. Jerry West is the real Klay fan. :wink:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#119 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 11:08 pm

EvanZ wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:I'm sure KH is in play with Schlenk having scouted Klay and having the pick at 19.

He could be in play for the Clippers at 12 or 13. Jerry West is the real Klay fan. :wink:

He’s isnt in play there and likely isn’t a lottery pick. The Clippers are looking for a lot of upside and a potential franchise star. They’ve also said they’re looking for toughness. They’re looking for athletes that are skilled and tough.

Plus they’re looking to move up. Potentially for the Grizzlies pick.

I follow the Clippers hardcore because I grew up watching them and Huerter isn’t the type of pick they’re trying to get.

Zhaire Smith, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Miles Bridges, Robert Williams, and Kevin Knox get strong looks from them, but they like the guys at the top more. I hear they like Troy Brown too.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#120 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 4, 2018 11:32 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

He’s isnt in play there and likely isn’t a lottery pick. The Clippers are looking for a lot of upside and a potential franchise star. They’ve also said they’re looking for toughness. They’re looking for athletes that are skilled and tough.

Plus they’re looking to move up. Potentially for the Grizzlies pick.

I follow the Clippers hardcore because I grew up watching them and Huerter isn’t the type of pick they’re trying to get.

Zhaire Smith, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Miles Bridges, Robert Williams, and Kevin Knox get strong looks from them, but they like the guys at the top more. I hear they like Troy Brown too.

LMAO. They want athletes but they like Troy Brown? Ok. He's skilled, but he's a minus athlete and he is not tough.

I think Jerry West would love to come away from this Draft with Miles and Huerter.

Return to NBA Draft