Billy Hamilton...bringing back the stolen base?

old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Billy Hamilton...bringing back the stolen base? 

Post#1 » by old rem » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Reds rookie Billy Hamilton last year set the record for steals in a minor league season...I forget how many...close to 150...beating Vince Coleman's record by a good bit.

So...he was a September call up and just about every time he COULD stael second...he did. So far...10 attempts and 10 steals. At least 3 of those were pitchouts. In his one start...he racked up 4 steals. He has more steals than plate appearances. In recent years the SB has slipped as a tactic. In general the success rate had not justified using it much. Quite a few teams have nobody who will top 20 steals this year.

Hamilton's time from first to second is FAST. You can stop watch the time it takes an above average pitcher to deliver and the time it takes an above average catcher to get the ball to second...and...to get Hamilton...that's not quite enough. Basically...Billy needs to get a slow jump andd your above average Pitcher-catcher...then need for them...above average. Hamilton...however has to get on base. He's moved from SS to CF and was learning to switch hit. Good sign...in the second half his hitting improved and in his one MLB start...he had 3 hits and 2 walks to set up those 4 steals. That...probably puts him on the postseason roster. I can't say he's ready to start next year..but the potential is VERY good.
CENSORED... No comment.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,693

Re: Billy Hamilton...bringing back the stolen base? 

Post#2 » by the_process » Wed Jan 1, 2014 7:57 pm

old rem wrote:Reds rookie Billy Hamilton last year set the record for steals in a minor league season...I forget how many...close to 150...beating Vince Coleman's record by a good bit.

So...he was a September call up and just about every time he COULD stael second...he did. So far...10 attempts and 10 steals. At least 3 of those were pitchouts. In his one start...he racked up 4 steals. He has more steals than plate appearances. In recent years the SB has slipped as a tactic. In general the success rate had not justified using it much. Quite a few teams have nobody who will top 20 steals this year.

Hamilton's time from first to second is FAST. You can stop watch the time it takes an above average pitcher to deliver and the time it takes an above average catcher to get the ball to second...and...to get Hamilton...that's not quite enough. Basically...Billy needs to get a slow jump andd your above average Pitcher-catcher...then need for them...above average. Hamilton...however has to get on base. He's moved from SS to CF and was learning to switch hit. Good sign...in the second half his hitting improved and in his one MLB start...he had 3 hits and 2 walks to set up those 4 steals. That...probably puts him on the postseason roster. I can't say he's ready to start next year..but the potential is VERY good.

Browsing all the baseball boards and saw your name up here. Much better effort with this post than your basketball musings. Perhaps full time?
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Re: Billy Hamilton...bringing back the stolen base? 

Post#3 » by K4P » Sun Jun 3, 2018 12:24 am

I agree

Return to Cincinnati Reds