ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Nationals Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Re: The Washington Nationals Thread 

Post#301 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon May 21, 2018 4:26 pm

80sballboy wrote:No way Soto looks 19. Dude looks a lot older. But hey, let's bring up a guy who has never gotten past AA. But I get it. They are desperate right now with Zim, Madson, Murphy, Kendrick, Goodwin and Eaton out.

19 in the DR correlates to somewhere between 18 and 36 everywhere else.
In Rizzo we trust
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#302 » by 80sballboy » Mon May 21, 2018 5:37 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
80sballboy wrote:No way Soto looks 19. Dude looks a lot older. But hey, let's bring up a guy who has never gotten past AA. But I get it. They are desperate right now with Zim, Madson, Murphy, Kendrick, Goodwin and Eaton out.

19 in the DR correlates to somewhere between 18 and 36 everywhere else.

I think Soto is closer to Sato's age of 26. :D
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#303 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#304 » by 80sballboy » Tue May 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Cool stuff about Soto
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#305 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#306 » by Rafael122 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:56 pm

He's a top 15 prospect, this isn't a Michael A Taylor situation, he's a legit prospect. As for his age, I'm Dominican, the kid looks 19, baby face, no facial hair. Point is he looks really young. Also the Nats got slammed for that situation with a Dominican prospect years ago. I think Bowden was the GM then, so I think they're doing more homework on those guys to avoid another issue.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#307 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 29, 2018 2:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#308 » by 80sballboy » Tue May 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

He's a top 15 prospect, this isn't a Michael A Taylor situation, he's a legit prospect. As for his age, I'm Dominican, the kid looks 19, baby face, no facial hair. Point is he looks really young. Also the Nats got slammed for that situation with a Dominican prospect years ago. I think Bowden was the GM then, so I think they're doing more homework on those guys to avoid another issue.

Hey, never said he wasn't a great prospect. Was one of the top in the game. To me, at the time, it smacked of desperation and when Goodwin returns, maybe he'll stay. But no offense, he wouldn't be the only player to lie about his age and sure, I'm being super-cynical. And at this point, who cares if he's 19 or 21. He's a great talent who hopefully will be a star one day.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#309 » by Ruzious » Wed May 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Soto was amazing last night against the hapless O's. He went 3 for 3 with an intentional walk - only the O's would intentionally walk a teenager. He caught the O's napping one time and stole 3rd base. The O's 3rd base coach Dickerson tested him by having a runner try to score from 1st on a ball hit to the LF/CF gap which he cut off and perfectly hit the cuttoff man who - easily - threw out the runner. To compound the importance of that - Machado - easily the O's best hitter - was on deck - really awful call by Dickerson - Machado would have been up with runners on the corners down by 1 run. The kids understanding of the entire game at 19 and his apparent maturity and charisma are amazing.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#310 » by Dat2U » Wed May 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:Soto was amazing last night against the hapless O's. He went 3 for 3 with an intentional walk - only the O's would intentionally walk a teenager. He caught the O's napping one time and stole 3rd base. The O's 3rd base coach Dickerson tested him by having a runner try to score from 1st on a ball hit to the LF/CF gap which he cut off and perfectly hit the cuttoff man who - easily - threw out the runner. To compound the importance of that - Machado - easily the O's best hitter - was on deck - really awful call by Dickerson - Machado would have been up with runners on the corners down by 1 run. The kids understanding of the entire game at 19 and his apparent maturity and charisma are amazing.

So what happens with Harper? Looking at what happened this past free agency, I don't see him getting $400-500 million and I'm sure the Nats don't feel the need to pay that, especially with Soto already here, Robles on deck and Eaton, Goodwin, Taylor & Stevenson under control. If he does stay, I think a move to 1st base might be in the offing.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#311 » by 80sballboy » Wed May 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Soto was amazing last night against the hapless O's. He went 3 for 3 with an intentional walk - only the O's would intentionally walk a teenager. He caught the O's napping one time and stole 3rd base. The O's 3rd base coach Dickerson tested him by having a runner try to score from 1st on a ball hit to the LF/CF gap which he cut off and perfectly hit the cuttoff man who - easily - threw out the runner. To compound the importance of that - Machado - easily the O's best hitter - was on deck - really awful call by Dickerson - Machado would have been up with runners on the corners down by 1 run. The kids understanding of the entire game at 19 and his apparent maturity and charisma are amazing.

So what happens with Harper? Looking at what happened this past free agency, I don't see him getting $400-500 million and I'm sure the Nats don't feel the need to pay that, especially with Soto already here, Robles on deck and Eaton, Goodwin, Taylor & Stevenson under control. If he does stay, I think a move to 1st base might be in the offing.

Harper is hitting around .235. That's not worth even $300M but we know he'll get something in that range. I think baseball is trying to collude to lower most salaries but expectations are that Harper goes to the Chicago Cubs where his buddy Kris Bryant is (and both wives are close) or maybe the Phillies. The Nats will be ok with Eaton, Robles, Soto and Taylor. No way Harper moves to first if he stays here. I would guarantee he wouldn't be happy with that at this stage of his career.

Goodwin is on a one-year deal and I assume he'll be gone.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#312 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 3, 2018 1:22 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#313 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jun 3, 2018 5:11 am

The key to the Nats win on Saturday, which bled right into the Caps game (ok started around 8:20) but game ended around 8pm, was Scherzer. his pinch hit, which led to Difo's triple. That was a gamble that paid off by Dave Martinez. Hell of a win and the bullpen was sensational for a change. With Eaton and Murphy coming up in about a week, I wonder if they send Soto back down or move Eaton to center and bench Taylor. He's playing some CF down in Harrisburg.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#314 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 3, 2018 3:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#315 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jun 3, 2018 8:33 pm

Not feeling good about losing 3 of 4 to Braves with an offense that can't score more than 2-3 runs per game. They basically have to win 80% of their games against subpar teams to have a chance. They can't beat good pitching unless Scherzer is on the mound and for some reason, he didn't pitch in this series. Now Hellickson is hurt and Murphy appears weeks from being ready, if not ever. Hard to feel optimistic about this team right now other than taking a wild card. Even if Eaton is here, that's not enough. You can't consistently win with guys like Reynolds and Adams (hurt as well) trying to protect Harper and Rendon. Even Tony Two-bags is really doing nothing in the three-hole with just 17 RBIs and a .257 average.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#316 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:16 pm

80sballboy wrote:Not feeling good about losing 3 of 4 to Braves with an offense that can't score more than 2-3 runs per game. They basically have to win 80% of their games against subpar teams to have a chance. They can't beat good pitching unless Scherzer is on the mound and for some reason, he didn't pitch in this series. Now Hellickson is hurt and Murphy appears weeks from being ready, if not ever. Hard to feel optimistic about this team right now other than taking a wild card. Even if Eaton is here, that's not enough. You can't consistently win with guys like Reynolds and Adams (hurt as well) trying to protect Harper and Rendon. Even Tony Two-bags is really doing nothing in the three-hole with just 17 RBIs and a .257 average.

Remember, (and I'm a Braves fan saying this - they've been my favorite NL team since Hank Aaron was there) Atlanta's not battle-tested, and they've benefited from Markakis and Albies hitting over their heads. They also need a veteran closer or at least late-inning guy. And their 2 top pitchers so far are having career years. Nats are just 2 and a half games out, and it's too early to count them out - especially with guys coming back from injuries. Hey, with Hellickson leaving in the 1st inning, it took a walk-off homer for Atl to win. And how bizarre is that Charlie Culberson, a light-hitting utility infielder, got his 2nd walk-off homer in 7 days?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#317 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:53 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'd be shocked if he's back for the ASB. Microfracture surgery is no joke. I think the Nats lucked out here, if the injury hadn't happened, I would have thought he'd get extended. He's 33 coming off major knee surgery, doubt he's brought back.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#318 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:44 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Not feeling good about losing 3 of 4 to Braves with an offense that can't score more than 2-3 runs per game. They basically have to win 80% of their games against subpar teams to have a chance. They can't beat good pitching unless Scherzer is on the mound and for some reason, he didn't pitch in this series. Now Hellickson is hurt and Murphy appears weeks from being ready, if not ever. Hard to feel optimistic about this team right now other than taking a wild card. Even if Eaton is here, that's not enough. You can't consistently win with guys like Reynolds and Adams (hurt as well) trying to protect Harper and Rendon. Even Tony Two-bags is really doing nothing in the three-hole with just 17 RBIs and a .257 average.

Remember, (and I'm a Braves fan saying this - they've been my favorite NL team since Hank Aaron was there) Atlanta's not battle-tested, and they've benefited from Markakis and Albies hitting over their heads. They also need a veteran closer or at least late-inning guy. And their 2 top pitchers so far are having career years. Nats are just 2 and a half games out, and it's too early to count them out - especially with guys coming back from injuries. Hey, with Hellickson leaving in the 1st inning, it took a walk-off homer for Atl to win. And how bizarre is that Charlie Culberson, a light-hitting utility infielder, got his 2nd walk-off homer in 7 days?

Not concerned about the Braves. It's the Nats' light hitting ways that concern me, especially against good teams. It's not like they are going to get a ton better when Eaton returns in mid-June. They need run producers and are getting very little from C, CF, LF, 2B and even 3B.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#319 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:47 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Not concerned about the Braves. It's the Nats' light hitting ways that concern me, especially against good teams. It's not like they are going to get a ton better when Eaton returns in mid-June. They need run producers and are getting very little from C, CF, LF, 2B and even 3B.

If you're not concerned about the Braves, who are you concerned that the Nats will lose the division to?
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#320 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Remember, (and I'm a Braves fan saying this - they've been my favorite NL team since Hank Aaron was there) Atlanta's not battle-tested, and they've benefited from Markakis and Albies hitting over their heads. They also need a veteran closer or at least late-inning guy. And their 2 top pitchers so far are having career years. Nats are just 2 and a half games out, and it's too early to count them out - especially with guys coming back from injuries. Hey, with Hellickson leaving in the 1st inning, it took a walk-off homer for Atl to win. And how bizarre is that Charlie Culberson, a light-hitting utility infielder, got his 2nd walk-off homer in 7 days?

If you're not concerned about the Braves, who are you concerned that the Nats will lose the division to?

I don't mean that they can't win the division. Sure they can, but my concern as a Nats fans is the Nats. If they can't hit, then the Braves or Phillies or the Mets will win the division.

Return to Washington Wizards