Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Re: The Washington Nationals Thread 

Post#321 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jun 5, 2018 2:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#322 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jun 6, 2018 9:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#323 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jun 6, 2018 9:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#324 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#325 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#326 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

My parents bought their house in 1964 from Ted Lerner and one of his brothers - saw the other day paper-clipped to the purchase documents were their business cards.

That game last night - Juan Soto... amazing. Yeah, so what he got picked off once - so did Turner. But those 2 homers... the first would have been a medium opposited field OF popup by pretty much anyone else, but he's so strong - it carries easily into the seats. The second one was out the moment he made contact - destroyed 430some feet to CF. He's 19! And he was only their 2nd best OF prospect.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#327 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Great win on Sunday night but there are still major issues. They desperately need a productive catcher (29th in average, last in HRs) and possibly another starting pitcher. Hopefully Harper is out of his slump and Murphy can hit again, though he has shown no power.
https://districtondeck.com/2018/06/21/washington-nationals-five-catchers-targeted/
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#328 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#329 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:30 pm

Depends on what we can get. If it's meh talent incoming, I'd rather keep going with Harp and see if there's a chance he makes big money instead of insane money so we can retain him.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#330 » by verbal8 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:32 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Depends on what we can get. If it's meh talent incoming, I'd rather keep going with Harp and see if there's a chance he makes big money instead of insane money so we can retain him.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I wonder if they consider dealing him to a contender or someone in the play-off hunt as a rental?

Maybe a team in the AL. Maybe they take a shot at signing him in the off-season, but they have a much easier out if the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers drive his price to astronomical levels.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#331 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:07 pm

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#332 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Yeah, I can't believe the Nats will trade Harper - considering it's Philly and Atlanta ahead of them - 2 green teams that aren't dominant. The Nats just need a good win streak to be in it... to win it. And what are they gonna get for a short rental OFer at this point? If they trade him to an NL team, he could help crush them, so they pretty much have to go AL, and who in the AL is going to give a big package?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#333 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 pm

What's the point. They can't win with this team. If you don't get Realmuto then f-ck it. You need help to make the playoffs. They don't have enough starting pitching and their bullpen is hanging by a thread with Doolittle out. They are going to be a .500 or less team. Maybe Rizzo hopes that Atlanta and Philly finish under .500 so they win the division? I don't get it. This team has stunk for two straight months now. It's not a small sample size. If they were in a better division, they would be sellers.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#334 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 pm

The team should have never fired Dusty Baker--that much is clear now. Whatever manager that is/was capable of getting the team to the post season consistently should have the job until that's no longer the case.

The team is very much like the Capitals. You can make a few changes, but ultimately it's #runitback until the wheels fall off. There's no easy answers.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#335 » by WashWiz54 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Dark Faze wrote:The team should have never fired Dusty Baker--that much is clear now. Whatever manager that is/was capable of getting the team to the post season consistently should have the job until that's no longer the case.

The team is very much like the Capitals. You can make a few changes, but ultimately it's #runitback until the wheels fall off. There's no easy answers.

This.

Letting Dusty go was an obvious mistake then and it shows now. Also bringing in a replacement with 0 managerial experience to coach a group of guys that have World Series or bust expectations? C'mon. And it was known their clubhouse leader wasn't coming back (Jayson) so you had to account for that too. I honestly believe we would be in first or damn close to it with Dusty still sitting on the bench.

As for the deadline, thats a joke. You're telling me we couldn't beat Philly out for Ramos? We needed to be buyers or we needed to be sellers but instead we did nothing. After the season the Nats have had, do you really think they're all of a sudden going to click? I usually try not to be a pessimist, but with this manager and this group of guys... I really don't see it.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#336 » by 80sballboy » Wed Aug 1, 2018 1:40 am

I can go on and on about Dusty's playoff failures, his forgetting to use Howie Kendrick all playoff series against the Cubs, his allowing starters to go too long, his lack of out-of-the-box thinking, etc. Davey Martinez was just not the right choice for a veteran team and that's on the Lerners. But to me, it's on the team. They haven't hit worth a sh-t all year, not at least consistently for more than a few games in a row. They haven't had any consistency from the starters other than Max. Injuries have crushed them more than just about anybody in baseball. Their middle relief has been mostly putrid, but sure, if Dusty was there...he was a players manager just like Davey. The problem is that the organization coddles guys like Bryce because they want him to sign at some hometown discount, which is absurd. Rizzo coddles Strasburg because he wants Boras' clients. The Lerners won't spend a dime on managers like Girardi so they go with bargain basement managers with no experience.

Guessing they won't score 19 runs a game after tonight and they better sweep the Mets or none of this matters.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#337 » by 80sballboy » Wed Aug 1, 2018 3:58 pm

So they trade Kintzler and DFA Shawn Kelley after his outburst on the mound last night. Not sure if that's sending a message and just smart to get rid of two subpar relievers. Kelley's numbers were misleading and Kintzler was a hit-to-contact pitcher, who was a sixth inning guy before Doolittle got hurt. I still don't get why they didn't add a piece yesterday if they were so intent on contending.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#338 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 1, 2018 6:06 pm

80sballboy wrote:So they trade Kintzler and DFA Shawn Kelley after his outburst on the mound last night. Not sure if that's sending a message and just smart to get rid of two subpar relievers. Kelley's numbers were misleading and Kintzler was a hit-to-contact pitcher, who was a sixth inning guy before Doolittle got hurt. I still don't get why they didn't add a piece yesterday if they were so intent on contending.

To me, the thing is - How is there an atmosphere where a 34 year old veteran like Kelley does something so unprofessional? Not excusing Kelley, but that doesn't happen on a well run team.

It's amazing that they win 25-4... and still embarrass themselves.

And this is a season that Philly and Atlanta are green teams that should be beatable.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#339 » by Dark Faze » Thu Aug 2, 2018 2:14 pm

Should probably get rid of Martinez in the offseason tbh
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#340 » by 80sballboy » Thu Aug 2, 2018 3:16 pm

Martinez is getting peanuts. Three years, $2.8 M. That's nothing to buy him out for two seasons for Mark Lerner. If they don't make the playoffs, I assume he's gone. The problem is going after an experienced manager, who wants some coin. Girardi, possibly Buck Showalter. You need to spend money on managers and stop being so cheap if you are ML. His father never did. Maybe he will.

Return to Washington Wizards