ImageImageImage

OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Re: OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.) 

Post#101 » by 76ciology » Sat May 12, 2018 4:02 am

sixers78 wrote:Westworld and Billions are awesome tv shows.

Didn’t like westworld. What I did was I just watched the old film LOL
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
hawkguy
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#102 » by hawkguy » Sun May 13, 2018 1:44 pm

What music are you listening?

Me: passenger - simple song
Martensitic
Junior
And1: 313

Post#103 » by Martensitic » Mon May 14, 2018 11:44 pm

hawkguy wrote:What music are you listening?

Me: passenger - simple song

Max Richter - Shadow Journal (The Blue Notebooks - 15th Anniversary Edition)

I had forgotten about what an amazing album it is. Last year I was able to attend with my girlfriend and some friends to a concert of his album Sleep here in Madrid, it's an eight hours concert from 23:00 pm to 07:00 am that you're supposed to listen while you sleep. He composed the piece with the help of a neurocientist to study the effect of music in your subconscious and how it interacts with your dreams. It was one of the greatest things I've ever experienced, absolutely majestic. Imagine being asleep hugging your girl while you listen to something like this, I can't explain (specially in english) my feelings about that night, but it was like dreaming, yet at the same time I was paying attention to the music and thinking semi-conciously.

Also reading South by Ernest Shackleton, great book.

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,420

Post#104 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 15, 2018 12:03 am

I'm reading a book right now called Rise of the Machines..by Martin Ford. It's about IT and AI and how technology is allowing a lot of jobs to be done by robots. I find it interesting because I was watching an interview of Warren Buffett and he said when the Automobile was being introduced people had the same thought, that the car was going to eliminate a lot of jobs. But people have always adapted. But while reading this book I wonder could this time be different?

*EDIT

Sorry It's Rise of the Robots not Rise of the Machines.....damn you Terminator damn you.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Martensitic
Junior

Post#105 » by Martensitic » Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 am

Tomorrow I'm going to a Diego El Cigala's concert at Plaza Mayor in Madrid, it will be the second time I will see him live, the first time I was able to listen to him and Omara Portuondo singing together, absolutely astounding voices. He goes quite often to USA, if you're able to catch him near Philly or whatever city other Sixers fans here live, you should definitely go.

Martensitic
Junior

Post#106 » by Martensitic » Tue May 15, 2018 12:12 am

Eyeamok wrote:I'm reading a book right now called Rise of the Machines..by Martin Ford. It's about IT and AI and how technology is allowing a lot of jobs to be done by robots. I find it interesting because I was watching an interview of Warren Buffett and he said when the Automobile was being introduced people had the same thought, that the car was going to eliminate a lot of jobs. But people have always adapted. But while reading this book I wonder could this time be different?

As an electronical engineer, no. I wish I could recommend you any interesting book about Industry 4.0, but you should investigate about the topic. The world is about to see an incredible technological revolution in years to come, in the not so long future, kids will have to learn how to code since elementary school, the productive model will change a lot and we will eliminate gradually blue collar works. For example, there are huge investments right now in investigating machine learning, which will allow machines to make design and decisions by themselves, as of now, they just follow orders automatically, but in a few years, somebody will tell a computer the specs for a car chasis and the machine will come up with some crazy efficient design that we couldn't even dream off. As of now, we're just stratching the surface of industry 4.0, so we can't really imagine how we are gonna adapt to this, but we're gonna do it.

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#107 » by rzzzzz » Tue May 15, 2018 2:40 pm

i've enjoyed The Good Place, especially the end of last season and the first episodes of this season. really charming, low key, mind blowing stuff.
(just binged on Twin Peaks reboot, which finally became available on disc. not as hip as the first time around. incredibly dark. but Philly's own David Lynch takes a stunning turn directing the thing, which has earned him a lot of shout outs.)
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#108 » by nrok10307 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Eyeamok wrote:I'm reading a book right now called Rise of the Machines..by Martin Ford. It's about IT and AI and how technology is allowing a lot of jobs to be done by robots. I find it interesting because I was watching an interview of Warren Buffett and he said when the Automobile was being introduced people had the same thought, that the car was going to eliminate a lot of jobs. But people have always adapted. But while reading this book I wonder could this time be different?

*EDIT

Sorry It's Rise of the Robots not Rise of the Machines.....damn you Terminator damn you.

I assume you're watching Westworld Season 2? Really touching on great topics like AI sentience, what is real, data privacy, etc... great show, S2Episode 4 was amazing.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Martensitic wrote:

As an electronical engineer, no. I wish I could recommend you any interesting book about Industry 4.0, but you should investigate about the topic. The world is about to see an incredible technological revolution in years to come, in the not so long future, kids will have to learn how to code since elementary school, the productive model will change a lot and we will eliminate gradually blue collar works. For example, there are huge investments right now in investigating machine learning, which will allow machines to make design and decisions by themselves, as of now, they just follow orders automatically, but in a few years, somebody will tell a computer the specs for a car chasis and the machine will come up with some crazy efficient design that we couldn't even dream off. As of now, we're just stratching the surface of industry 4.0, so we can't really imagine how we are gonna adapt to this, but we're gonna do it.

No you don't think this time will be different? If all these blue collar jobs are being eliminated. Where do people who only have a blue collar aptitude or people who like to work with their hands go and do for a living? Adapt or die?

Secondly I am very apprehensive about the idea of kids learning how to code since elementary school. Schools can't even get the No child left behind program to work the way it was designed. Now we are going to ask elementary schools to teach coding. The better funded school districts and people that can afford private tutoring for their children will be fine. But what about the rest?

Unless we change our education system to be more like Finland (for example) there are going to be a lot more people left behind.

But like I always say. What do I know I'm always open to learn more.

Thanks for the video and very nice music. It puts you in a great mood.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm

nrok10307 wrote:

*EDIT

I assume you're watching Westworld Season 2? Really touching on great topics like AI sentience, what is real, data privacy, etc... great show, S2Episode 4 was amazing.

You know I watched season 1 and I was like, it must be me. Because everyone was raving about it. I was lukewarm at best about it. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 15, 2018 3:06 pm

LOL look at us discussing ideas, technology, books, TV, music, etc. And the lottery order is being set tonight. Last season and seasons past I would be playing the lottery simulator all day long. :lol:

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Stanford wrote:Top 3-5 favorite non-basketball podcasts?

Revisionist History -- Malcolm Gladwell

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 15, 2018 3:16 pm

I got into watching Breaking Bad late and it changed the way I watch TV. I no longer watch anything while airs. I record everything and then binge watch it or watch it delayed. Even sporting events. I'll go out have a good time read or do whateveer. Start watching the game before it is over. Zip through the commercials and catch the last 7 to 8 minutes of the live event. Makes it so much more enjoyable to watch.

Marlo
Martensitic
Junior

Post#114 » by Martensitic » Tue May 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Martensitic wrote:

No you don't think this time will be different? If all these blue collar jobs are being eliminated. Where do people who only have a blue collar aptitude or people who like to work with their hands go and do for a living? Adapt or die?

Secondly I am very apprehensive about the idea of kids learning how to code since elementary school. Schools can't even get the No child left behind program to work the way it was designed. Now we are going to ask elementary schools to teach coding. The better funded school districts and people that can afford private tutoring for their children will be fine. But what about the rest?

Unless we change our education system to be more like Finland (for example) there are going to be a lot more people left behind.

If you ask my personal opinion, I don't really know what is going to happen at all, I think that all the changes that are about to come are so complex that for me it's very difficult to imagine the outcome of this revolution. I mean, and I'm not trying to stablish a pro/anti Trump debate, but when we analyze the situation of USA here in Spain, I think that we can understand how he won, because he promised to take back the production to USA and all developed countries, we are "scared" of developing countries like China, but maybe this is a debate that comes 10 or 15 years later, because maybe, when another 15/20 years pass, every house will have a 3D printer machine, so we won't need big production centers, instead, we will be paying for the design. It may sound futuristic, but then again, it is incredible how much the world has changed in the last 50 years.

I'm not very familiar with american teaching programs, and I don't want to tell you that spanish education is top notch when compared to northern countries here in Europe, but, in a few years, we won't need carpenters, we will need someone who controls a robot with an interface and tells to the robot what to do. Kids won't have to be coding geniuses, but schools are slowly starting to get kids familiarized with programming. Of course there will always be a niche for handmade products, I'm talking more about big industry.

I mean, I'm also very very ignorant, I don't want to sound like I'm an expert, I'm studying a master now, and throughout the year I've been to a few conferences from executives of big companies, and all of them seem to be very interested in all these topics, and how to apply them to their companies. Another thing that has gotten my attention is that lots of friends from high school, who didn't even finished high school, they have taken courses to things related with electronics and they are very employable, all of them are working for nice companies, even though they are not engineers.

Sorry if there are any mistakes, I'm not used to write this much in english :lol:

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Martensitic wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Martensitic wrote:

If you ask my personal opinion, I don't really know what is going to happen at all, I think that all the changes that are about to come are so complex that for me it's very difficult to imagine the outcome of this revolution. I mean, and I'm not trying to stablish a pro/anti Trump debate, but when we analyze the situation of USA here in Spain, I think that we can understand how he won, because he promised to take back the production to USA and all developed countries, we are "scared" of developing countries like China, but maybe this is a debate that comes 10 or 15 years later, because maybe, when another 15/20 years pass, every house will have a 3D printer machine, so we won't need big production centers, instead, we will be paying for the design. It may sound futuristic, but then again, it is incredible how much the world has changed in the last 50 years.

I'm not very familiar with american teaching programs, and I don't want to tell you that spanish education is top notch when compared to northern countries here in Europe, but, in a few years, we won't need carpenters, we will need someone who controls a robot with an interface and tells to the robot what to do. Kids won't have to be coding geniuses, but schools are slowly starting to get kids familiarized with programming. Of course there will always be a niche for handmade products, I'm talking more about big industry.

I mean, I'm also very very ignorant, I don't want to sound like I'm an expert, I'm studying a master now, and throughout the year I've been to a few conferences from executives of big companies, and all of them seem to be very interested in all these topics, and how to apply them to their companies. Another thing that has gotten my attention is that lots of friends from high school, who didn't even finished high school, they have taken courses to things related with electronics and they are very employable, all of them are working for nice companies, even though they are not engineers.

Sorry if there are any mistakes, I'm not used to write this much in english :lol:

No not at all. Thank you for your response. It's always nice to step out of the bubble that is the United States and hear from another country/person's point of view. And your English is a lot better than my Spanish so carry on sharing your ideas.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#116 » by 76ciology » Tue May 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Music? I just listen to a lot of hip hop.

Kanye, Migos, Future & 21 Savage.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#117 » by 76ciology » Wed May 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Anyone here plays PUBG Mobile? Im so hooked. LOL
76ciology
RealGM

Post#118 » by 76ciology » Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 am

Didn’t like Deadpool. Story is too shallow like a super hero tv series. You probably just watch it for the humorous lines.

Lost in Space (netflix) is good but it’s mixed Interstellar by matt damon and some disney star wars film.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#119 » by 76ciology » Thu May 31, 2018 5:39 am

Top 5 movies:
1.) life is beautiful
2.) italian job
3.) the godfather
4.) goodfellas
5.) ratatouille
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#120 » by XDevilBoiX » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:30 am

Anyone get an error message and the page reloads itself? When I try to make or reply to a post it does that and I can’t type at all. Seems like it freezes my keyboard but I can click on links. Using a IPhone 8.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers