How Far Back Would We Have To Move The Three Point Line To Bring Back The Midrange Shot?

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Re: How Far Back Would We Have To Move The Three Point Line To Bring Back The Midrange Shot? 

Post#2 » by Ainosterhaspie » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 pm

Right now there is a no shoot band on the court that is too wide. The goal should be to narrow the width of that band and move it farther from the basket. Maybe around 18 feet would be a good spot for that band to start. So from 18 feet in is a better shot than a three. Now you have a midrange game. You can't ever eliminate that band though unless you eliminate the three.

I think it would make more sense to calculate mid range the same regardless of where the three is. Don't keep expanding midrange to the three point line regardless of how far away that line is. There will always be a zone starting at the three point line moving toward the basket where it is a bad idea to shoot. Moving the line back will move that zone away from the basket, but it will still be there. There isn't really a way to eliminate that without a more dramatic alteration to the rules. Isn't the idea to get people shooting 5-18 footers more, not necessarily more 20 footers? What is the sweet spot to make 18 footers a better shot than a three?

Another way to approach this, though not one that the old guys would like, would be to change the way things are officiated. Right now bigs are at a disadvantage because for more physicality and contact is allowed against them than against jump shooters. This allows jump shooters shooting percentage to be artificially higher relative to what post guys can achieve. Either limit physicality close to the basket more strictly, or allow much more physicality far from the basket. That sort of change would bring a revival of the midrange game and hopefully narrow the no shoot band on the court.
Bucketz_McGee
Junior
And1: 352

Re: How Far Back Would We Have To Move The Three Point Line To Bring Back The Midrange Shot? 

Post#3 » by Bucketz_McGee » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:45 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:Right now there is a no shoot band on the court that is too wide. The goal should be to narrow the width of that band and move it farther from the basket. Maybe around 18 feet would be a good spot for that band to start. So from 18 feet in is a better shot than a three. Now you have a midrange game. You can't ever eliminate that band though unless you eliminate the three.

I think it would make more sense to calculate mid range the same regardless of where the three is. Don't keep expanding midrange to the three point line regardless of how far away that line is. There will always be a zone starting at the three point line moving toward the basket where it is a bad idea to shoot. Moving the line back will move that zone away from the basket, but it will still be there. There isn't really a way to eliminate that without a more dramatic alteration to the rules. Isn't the idea to get people shooting 5-18 footers more, not necessarily more 20 footers? What is the sweet spot to make 18 footers a better shot than a three?

Another way to approach this, though not one that the old guys would like, would be to change the way things are officiated. Right now bigs are at a disadvantage because for more physicality and contact is allowed against them than against jump shooters. This allows jump shooters shooting percentage to be artificially higher relative to what post guys can achieve. Either limit physicality close to the basket more strictly, or allow much more physicality far from the basket. That sort of change would bring a revival of the midrange game and hopefully narrow the no shoot band on the court.

Allow more physicality to shooters.

The midrange shot hasn't gone away. The league is too fixated on 3's because of teams like the Warriors. "Live by the 3, die by the 3" is always true. Players like Randle and Irving are playing more traditional ball (at least to me) as apposed to Green, Davis, and Porzingis who all shoot 3's. The league is shooting more 3's than ever and the % is actually trending down; team efficiency is down as well because of the influx in 3's. Just give it time.
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". :meditate:
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#4 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Apr 5, 2018 3:46 pm

make it 23'9" all over the court - IOW, take away the corner three. that would help bring back some low post and mid range stuff. it would make threes harder to get open by both taking away the easy drive and kick shot and simply by shrinking the space around the three point line that defenses have to guard.
Heat84
Junior
And1: 11

Post#5 » by Heat84 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 6:05 am

This "3PT revolution" is an abomination that's dumbing down the game. Mr. Nasmith is perpetually rolling over in his grave. The league as a whole only made 36% of their 3PT attempts this regular season. How much of a revolution really is that? Is that % actually higher than past years? Are lower level coaches to blame for this because they don't teach fundamentals like they used to? Or are the kids just not wanting to learn? I still subscribe to the idea that a few 3pt misses could have been 2 point makes. If Houston had converted just a few 3pt misses into a few 2pt makes in game 7, they might be up 2-0 right now.

Here's an interesting idea: How about limiting the number of 3 point attempts per game per team? The average number of 3pt attempts made per game this last regular season was 10. So maybe allow 15 or 20 attempts per game. Also, you can either rescind the limit for the last 2 minutes of the game or have the teams strategically save their attempts for the end of the game (like they did with timeouts until this season).

If the league made all shots from behind the half-court line worth 4 points, would players actually take those shots in non-emergency and non-garbage time situations? I would guess Curry would, but not anyone else.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#6 » by dice » Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:39 pm

not far at all. this "revolution" has only moved TS percentages up marginally

you might only have to widen the court, actually...or, as mentioned above, get rid of the corner 3 by making the arc go all the way to the sidelines
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#7 » by dice » Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:45 pm

heat84 wrote:If the league made all shots from behind the half-court line worth 4 points, would players actually take those shots in non-emergency and non-garbage time situations? I would guess Curry would, but not anyone else.

nobody would. not if you made it worth 5 points
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#8 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 pm

The league should look at moving back slowly or less dramatically. Start at 25ft first.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,649

Post#9 » by benhillboy » Sun Jan 6, 2019 5:53 pm

When you have so many volume three point shooters who can’t hit a damn free throw I have little hope for the assembly line of one-and-done players who lack the skills for a mid range game let alone realize the far-reaching benefits of having one. I’m amazed everyday that people with as flawed a basketball philosophy as Daryl Morey and Mike D’Antoni have influenced the current style of play so much.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#10 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 am

How much of the trend is related to the offensive playcalling by today's more progressive coaches...? Think Stotts, Kerr, Dantoni, Brett Brown, Budenholzer...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#11 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 pm

I think its funny people blaimg the Warriors (who shoot the most midrange jumpers in the league.)

I think the midrange shot is still there but the pre-requisite skill level to use it at a high volume has increased.

What I find interesting is that most premier scorers in the league have a midrange J as a weapon in their arsenal, (Durant might the best scorer of all time and his midrange jumper is key part of this.)

But lesser players aren't allowed to take it anymore (does anybody really want to watch Evan Turner brick midrange js"?"

For example on the Raptors, the poorer shooters are only allowed to take 3s but not midrange shots, while the better shooters can take both. Its kinda reversing the classic dynamic of bad shooters shooting from closer but it makes sense when you think about the efficiency numbers. (35% from 3 is an okay value shot, but 35-40% from midrange is a bad shot).

I think the pendulum will swing back to midrange scorers especially with most teams intentionally allowing midrange jumpers in their defensive schemes (usually with the center playing drop coverage).

Idk if moving the line back is the right solution to balancing the game. I do think some rule changes can help tho.

1) More physicality (I hate the "freedom of movement" rules the league brought in this year"

- I heard an idea to allow hand checking past the 3pt line, which could be interesting.

2) Remove the Corner 3

This dramatically increased the skill level needed to be a 3pt shooter and would force teams to redesign their offenses to be more inside based.

Return to Statistical Analysis