ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread 13 - The Field Thins

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who Do You Want To Fall?

Porter
36%
Carter
17%
Mikal
34%
Other
13%

Total votes: 132

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Re: Draft Thread 13 - The Field Thins 

Post#1641 » by F N 11 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:28 am

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
N Y K wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Honestly I visit realgm less now because of all these damn ads. Tf up with that?

its the only site where that damn amazon redirect thing gets me too... i **** hate it

That happens on my phone - I only use the app on the phone now. Use ad blocker on computer?

So I’m not the only one who’s page restarts in a middle of a paragraph ? I usually give up after two tries.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#1642 » by Sark » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:31 am

For phones, download Ghostery browser. Voila.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1643 » by reub » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am

BowlRips wrote:Kevin O’Connor on Simmons pod:
I’ve heard Knicks like Knox

I like Knox too.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,722

Post#1644 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am

K P 6 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
N Y K wrote:its the only site where that damn amazon redirect thing gets me too... i **** hate it

That happens on my phone - I only use the app on the phone now. Use ad blocker on computer?

So I’m not the only one who’s page restarts in a middle of a paragraph ? I usually give up after two tries.

I’ve just been typing in my notes app, and then copying n pasting into a post. Saved me from throwing my phone across the room every time.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1645 » by reub » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:34 am

So I guess that Knox won the battle against Miles in that one on one workout the other day.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1646 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:36 am

reub wrote:So I guess they want us to think that Knox won the battle against Miles in that one on one workout the other day.

Fixed
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#1647 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 am

Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1648 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:I’m back on my trade down for Miles ish.
Lol
We gotta stick to the script.
Porter might be that guy but he really doesn’t fit the profile of what we say we are looking for. Mikal does but I don’t know how much dog he has in him and with him we are really station to station at every position, with no creativity or ability to take their matchup off the dribble. Except maybe Tim (who I demand be traded lol or I’ll know we ain’t the real thing).

Trade 9 and cash for 10 and 26.
Miles at 10. Frazier at 26.
We need athleticism and versatility. We need dogs.

Sexton is a dog but I don’t think he’s a better option at point than Frank. And playing them together wouldn’t be ideal to me as neither are good shooters at this point (but you just know Frank is gonna be a good shooter). I don’t think you wanna Matsui our Reyes. Frank is our pg.

Carter is gonna be a solid pro but KP, especially coming off this injury, is the center of the future. We traded Wily and probably are praying Kanter opts out—so I don’t know if we’re high on the burly below the rim type big.
Not with such a high pick. Not with our two burlies (Enes and Kyle) spinning in the wind. Hard pass on Wendell.

I been trying to talk myself into Knox’s upside but I don’t see it, sorry. He’s a pup and I get that but I don’t see anything standout in his game. Good shooter, nice floater. Very good measurables. Youth. Cool.

...but ummm I don’t see a game in between all that.
I so know I could be wrong. Maybe he grows two more inches in two years and everyone looks like fools for passing him. I dunno. I don’t want Knox.

Walker is getting a bit overrated I feel.
Zhaire, underrated but he’d get a guy fired.
Mikal is such a single. Can’t trip if he’s the guy because his floor is solid but it’s so not the sexy pick. And sexiness counts. The media is gonna be ready to pounce on Pills regardless. We need a guy to make them look good out the box.

Porter.
Sigh. We can’t take a chance on the back.
And the personality concerns usually are on point with guys honestly. It shows its head eventually. NYC is a helluva place to grow up under the spotlight. Can’t dismiss the character concerns. Even the Trump thing. Might not go well in our locker room; it’s not a should or shouldn’t thing there, it’s just a reality. Fiz wants these guys to be close and fight for each other. MPJ doesn’t strike me as the ‘rallying the troops’ type from afar.

I also factor that this kid hasn’t been coached in big game situations outside of AAU. He’s more skilled than he showed in the tourney cameo for sure so I wouldn’t even consider it tape on him. But there’s no denying he’s just such an obvious (possible) amalgamation of so many Knick mistakes of the past:

Amare/Allan/LJ/Gallo from a health risk standpoint.
Steph/Melo from a ‘bigger than the team’ standpoint (and I admit I don’t know if it’s fair to assume that but hey, I do; the stuff with his dad and all that reminded me of Starbury and his peoples running the garden in their time or CAA’s stronghold during the Chris Smith era and all that).

I’d really look past so much of this if the back wasn’t such a concern. And I don’t trust our medical staff that much so yeah, there’s that. Hard pass on Porter. Bluff til a second is left on the clock but pass. Maybe the Clips want to move up and we squeeze 12 and 13 out of em. But I’m trying to trade back and grab an asset or two in the process.

Of the trade up guys only Doncic makes sense and I’m sure the price doesn’t. And he also doesn’t fit what we say we want to do as an organization. Last year we traded Melo for two total non defenders a day after saying we would be a defensive team going forward. It was a good trade all things considered and we couldn’t be too particular with the return so I give Pills a pass. But the draft is supposed to be where we build our vision from. Show me what a Scott Perry player looks like.

I think listening to all three of these men (Scott, Steve and Fiz) that Miles checks off the most boxes across all their boards if we take them at their word about defense and athleticism and versatility and all that.

Athleticism matters. Miles, I think, is gonna be a better pro than college player (with the space and high usage again, my opinion and assumption of how we’d use him) and he was a pretty good college player to say the least. There’s no way he isn’t a double digit scorer out the gate and a mainstay on ESPN. For us, it really matters.

We gotta clean out all the junk between KP and Frank.
Fill in the blanks with some young and hungry dogs that’ll understand and seize the moment here.

But yeah....the trade Tim thing tho?
It needs to be a thing.
Everything else to me is in essence ‘same old Knicks’ if they aren’t trying to come up off that contract. He’s tradeable. Don’t buy the bullshucks. It’s our misguided sense of loyalty and marketing and whatever else keeps the garden cauldron churning that’ll keep him a Knick.
Trade him. Please. Get a B level asset. Whatever.
Just come up off that.

But yeah. I’m back on my Miles ish.

C'mon Bro.... Mikal is at least an in the gap , line drive double.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,182

Post#1649 » by DOT » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:45 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Spoiler:

Clyde
Starks
W. Chandler
Beasley
Ewing
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1650 » by Jay10 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:49 am

I remember someone on the Knicks forum bringing up the Mikal's one on one defense, or lack thereof. Today i listened to a podcast and a scout had the same concerns.

Basically said Mikal is more of a team defense guy, and struggles when it comes to one on one defense. The scout also brought up the game against Michigan where he was constantly getting blown by.

The scout said Mikal is more along the lines of Tony Snell and Wesley Johnson, than he is Ariza, and couldn't be Robert Convington on his best day, but Convington on his medium best day.

Said Mikal would be better for a winning team in need of one more versatile wing. Also said "i don't even have him in the conversation for a top 10 pick."

Read on Twitter

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,722

Post#1651 » by spree8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:56 am

newyorker4ever wrote:Image

Marbury- $4
Starks- $3
Wilson- $1
Mason- $2
Ewing- $5
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,739

Post#1652 » by omerome » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 am

KP - 5
Ewing - 5
Starks - 3
Felton - 1
Wilson Chandler - 1

A lot of spacing with that team and a balanced attack.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#1653 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:I’m back on my trade down for Miles ish.
Lol
We gotta stick to the script.
Porter might be that guy but he really doesn’t fit the profile of what we say we are looking for. Mikal does but I don’t know how much dog he has in him and with him we are really station to station at every position, with no creativity or ability to take their matchup off the dribble. Except maybe Tim (who I demand be traded lol or I’ll know we ain’t the real thing).

Trade 9 and cash for 10 and 26.
Miles at 10. Frazier at 26.
We need athleticism and versatility. We need dogs.

Sexton is a dog but I don’t think he’s a better option at point than Frank. And playing them together wouldn’t be ideal to me as neither are good shooters at this point (but you just know Frank is gonna be a good shooter). I don’t think you wanna Matsui our Reyes. Frank is our pg.

Carter is gonna be a solid pro but KP, especially coming off this injury, is the center of the future. We traded Wily and probably are praying Kanter opts out—so I don’t know if we’re high on the burly below the rim type big.
Not with such a high pick. Not with our two burlies (Enes and Kyle) spinning in the wind. Hard pass on Wendell.

I been trying to talk myself into Knox’s upside but I don’t see it, sorry. He’s a pup and I get that but I don’t see anything standout in his game. Good shooter, nice floater. Very good measurables. Youth. Cool.

...but ummm I don’t see a game in between all that.
I so know I could be wrong. Maybe he grows two more inches in two years and everyone looks like fools for passing him. I dunno. I don’t want Knox.

Walker is getting a bit overrated I feel.
Zhaire, underrated but he’d get a guy fired.
Mikal is such a single. Can’t trip if he’s the guy because his floor is solid but it’s so not the sexy pick. And sexiness counts. The media is gonna be ready to pounce on Pills regardless. We need a guy to make them look good out the box.

Porter.
Sigh. We can’t take a chance on the back.
And the personality concerns usually are on point with guys honestly. It shows its head eventually. NYC is a helluva place to grow up under the spotlight. Can’t dismiss the character concerns. Even the Trump thing. Might not go well in our locker room; it’s not a should or shouldn’t thing there, it’s just a reality. Fiz wants these guys to be close and fight for each other. MPJ doesn’t strike me as the ‘rallying the troops’ type from afar.

I also factor that this kid hasn’t been coached in big game situations outside of AAU. He’s more skilled than he showed in the tourney cameo for sure so I wouldn’t even consider it tape on him. But there’s no denying he’s just such an obvious (possible) amalgamation of so many Knick mistakes of the past:

Amare/Allan/LJ/Gallo from a health risk standpoint.
Steph/Melo from a ‘bigger than the team’ standpoint (and I admit I don’t know if it’s fair to assume that but hey, I do; the stuff with his dad and all that reminded me of Starbury and his peoples running the garden in their time or CAA’s stronghold during the Chris Smith era and all that).

I’d really look past so much of this if the back wasn’t such a concern. And I don’t trust our medical staff that much so yeah, there’s that. Hard pass on Porter. Bluff til a second is left on the clock but pass. Maybe the Clips want to move up and we squeeze 12 and 13 out of em. But I’m trying to trade back and grab an asset or two in the process.

Of the trade up guys only Doncic makes sense and I’m sure the price doesn’t. And he also doesn’t fit what we say we want to do as an organization. Last year we traded Melo for two total non defenders a day after saying we would be a defensive team going forward. It was a good trade all things considered and we couldn’t be too particular with the return so I give Pills a pass. But the draft is supposed to be where we build our vision from. Show me what a Scott Perry player looks like.

I think listening to all three of these men (Scott, Steve and Fiz) that Miles checks off the most boxes across all their boards if we take them at their word about defense and athleticism and versatility and all that.

Athleticism matters. Miles, I think, is gonna be a better pro than college player (with the space and high usage again, my opinion and assumption of how we’d use him) and he was a pretty good college player to say the least. There’s no way he isn’t a double digit scorer out the gate and a mainstay on ESPN. For us, it really matters.

We gotta clean out all the junk between KP and Frank.
Fill in the blanks with some young and hungry dogs that’ll understand and seize the moment here.

But yeah....the trade Tim thing tho?
It needs to be a thing.
Everything else to me is in essence ‘same old Knicks’ if they aren’t trying to come up off that contract. He’s tradeable. Don’t buy the bullshucks. It’s our misguided sense of loyalty and marketing and whatever else keeps the garden cauldron churning that’ll keep him a Knick.
Trade him. Please. Get a B level asset. Whatever.
Just come up off that.

But yeah. I’m back on my Miles ish.

C'mon Bro.... Mikal is at least an in the gap , line drive double.

I’m not as confident in him doing that consistently at the pro level. But listen, if he’s the guy I don’t think we can be upset but he’s just not the first guy I want if things pan out with he, Sexton and Carter on the board. Miles I believe has a lotta untapped potential as a face up scorer on the block. He’s pretty straight line himself but he’s gonna have a mismatch on him most of the time one way or other and I think he’ll learn to exploit them. But it’s really hard to argue one guy against the other in this draft where we sit.
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#1654 » by levendis » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 am

Jay10 wrote:I remember someone on the Knicks forum bringing up the Mikal's one on one defense, or lack thereof. Today i listened to a podcast and a scout had the same concerns.

Basically said Mikal is more of a team defense guy, and struggles when it comes to one on one defense. The scout also brought up the game against Michigan where he was constantly getting blown by.

The scout said Mikal is more along the lines of Tony Snell and Wesley Johnson, than he is Ariza, and couldn't be Robert Convington on his best day, but Convington on his medium best day.

Said Mikal would be better for a winning team in need of one more versatile wing. Also said "i don't even have him in the conversation for a top 10 pick."

Read on Twitter

... It's also most like different scouts have different opinions and there's going to be reports that overlap your own. Why are you getting so hyped lol
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#1655 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:01 am

Mark Jax - $3
Spree - $4
Chandler - $1
Mason(RIP) - $2
Ewing - $5
Jay10
RealGM

Post#1656 » by Jay10 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 am

levendis wrote:
Jay10 wrote:I remember someone on the Knicks forum bringing up the Mikal's one on one defense, or lack thereof. Today i listened to a podcast and a scout had the same concerns.

Read on Twitter

... It's also most like different scouts have different opinions and there's going to be reports that overlap your own. Why are you getting so hyped lol

There was no holding back when the scout got to Mikal.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,135

Post#1657 » by Fat Kat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 am

Read on Twitter

I listened to that podcast, and I honestly trust some of the posters here more than these "professional" scouts.

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Jay10
RealGM

Post#1658 » by Jay10 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:05 am

Fat Kat wrote:

Read on Twitter

I listened to that podcast, and I honestly trust some of the posters here more than these "professional" scouts.

Read on Twitter

it damn near felt like he was channeling Pusha T and Mikal was Drake.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#1659 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 am

Oh read it wrong—KnicksFan20
lol he’s a sacrifice bunt lol
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#1660 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 am

Fat Kat wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

LOL Fat Kat pullin out all the receipts on these bum ass scouts Image

Return to New York Knicks