ImageImageImage

OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Re: OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.) 

Post#121 » by 76ciology » Thu Jun 7, 2018 7:12 am

Most qualified to be our GM
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#122 » by Phila Tough » Sat Jun 9, 2018 12:42 am

Any DBZ fans here play FighterZ? As a DBZ fan, is it worth purchasing?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#123 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:16 am

LOVE, tv series by Netflix is also a good one im watching right now.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#124 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 9, 2018 2:33 pm

“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” has a lot of Jurassic World 2 to it. It’s no where near the previous one. The next Jurassic movie could either be a game changer or be really bad lol
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,796

Post#125 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 am

Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:Top 3-5 favorite non-basketball podcasts?

1) Serial (Season 1 - the first super popular podcast - true crime murder mystery)
2) Something to Wrestle With (about the 80's and 90's and early 00's when pro wrestling was awesome)
3) Dirty John (true crime somewhat similar to Serial)
I also tried S-Town, which was from the makers of Serial. It was good at first, but went downhill quickly and was really boring and lame for the 2nd half of it, so I don't recommend it. I heard Serial season 2 isn't very good so I haven't listened to it yet.r.

I'm curious what you all would think of this: https://transom.org/2016/a-life-sentence-victims-offenders-justice-and-my-mother/ It's a one-off thing--sort of 'This American Life' style--but as someone who works with prisoners it seems to me like a much more 'true' approach to violence and the justice system than a lot of true crime podcasts, and it's also about a huge issue in Philly. To be transparent, I work on this issue as an organizer/advocate so I've got a ton of bias, but I'm mentioning it here since some of my students who like Serial really appreciated it too.

I'm way late on this but I don't get the 2nd season of the Wire complaint at all. I've seen the whole show three times and some parts a bunch more times (I sometimes teach season 4 in one of my classes), and I've talked with tons of people about it, and I've never heard anyone say that season sucks. To me it's clearly better than season 5 and probably better than season 1 (which is great but isn't as tight as you might remember--way too much happens in the last like 50 minutes of the season). The new characters are interesting (all three Sobotkas were great, and who doesn't like Spiros?) and the plot manages to keep good tension and the same premise of surveillance on drug dealers while giving a larger view of the city and the game. Some of my students have said it's the season they remember the most.

On another note, I was excited for 'The Chi' but it's turned out to be pretty rote--some of the characters are charming and the plots/conflicts are competent, but there's nothing special or interesting or particularly insightful about it. Just a slice of life show with a good ensemble cast, with a pretty blah overall plot (the crooked cops dealing guns and the mysterious gangster back from Cuba) that sticks all the smaller plots together. I'll keep watching but it's not been remotely close to the Wire so far.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#126 » by FireMorey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 am

I'm in the workings of starting my own true crime podcast. It's my life's greatest passion outside of sports. Have some things planned for it, it's something I've blogged and studied ever since I was in my teens. But I was planning on focusing on a different angle outside of just recapping known stories, I wanted to dissect from a psychological perspective, as forensic psychology/criminal psychology. That was my very first dream job, I had plans when I was younger to work for the FBI.

Now it's just a hobby and something I do with my free time.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#127 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:31 am

ProcessTrusta wrote:I'm in the workings of starting my own true crime podcast. It's my life's greatest passion outside of sports. Have some things planned for it, it's something I've blogged and studied ever since I was in my teens. But I was planning on focusing on a different angle outside of just recapping known stories, I wanted to dissect from a psychological perspective, as forensic psychology/criminal psychology. That was my very first dream job, I had plans when I was younger to work for the FBI.

Share the link and let us hear some of it

P.S. i dont know anything about crime investigation. But dont they have every kind of forensic technology to get the criminal nowadays? While the hollywood movies just makes it more suspense.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by FireMorey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 am

76ciology wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:I'm in the workings of starting my own true crime podcast. It's my life's greatest passion outside of sports. Have some things planned for it, it's something I've blogged and studied ever since I was in my teens. But I was planning on focusing on a different angle outside of just recapping known stories, I wanted to dissect from a psychological perspective, as forensic psychology/criminal psychology. That was my very first dream job, I had plans when I was younger to work for the FBI.

P.S. i dont know anything about crime investigation. But dont they have every kind of forensic technology to get the criminal nowadays? While the hollywood movies just makes it more suspense.

I will when I get it up and running, might take a while I'm working on a co-host and also need to work out the details and stuff.

Technology is amazing today and it's only going to get better. The Golden State Killer(Joseph James DeAngelo) was caught using a DNA genealogy database. Which basically means people like you or me send their DNA in to get a profile uploaded to a public database and they're typically used to find lost relatives or loved ones. Like if you were separated at birth from a twin or were adopted and want to find your birth parents, etc. But law enforcement can use it to narrow down a killer. If they have a sample of an unknown offender, they can get a partial match on a public database, and then follow the family line all the way down until they find someone that fits. That's just one example. DNA advancements have been incredible and they're only going to get better.

But that doesn't mean it's easy to catch criminals. It still takes a lot of work, both forensically, technologically, old school detective work, sometimes a little luck, and also a good prosecutor to put them away.

I find it close to impossible to watch detective movies and shows because so many of them are painfully unrealistic and it's something I just can't let slide, in the same way people here wouldn't be able to let it slide if a basketball movie had a character in the movie take 5 steps without dribbling with the basketball. There are some realistic detective shows and movies out there, but they're very rare. Because real detective work is quite boring and slow, unless you have great writers, so they need to juice it up with unrealistic plot angles.
Martensitic
Junior
And1: 313

Post#129 » by Martensitic » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:25 am

ProcessTrusta wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I will when I get it up and running, might take a while I'm working on a co-host and also need to work out the details and stuff.

Technology is amazing today and it's only going to get better. The Golden State Killer(Joseph James DeAngelo) was caught using a DNA genealogy database. Which basically means people like you or me send their DNA in to get a profile uploaded to a public database and they're typically used to find lost relatives or loved ones. Like if you were separated at birth from a twin or were adopted and want to find your birth parents, etc. But law enforcement can use it to narrow down a killer. If they have a sample of an unknown offender, they can get a partial match on a public database, and then follow the family line all the way down until they find someone that fits. That's just one example. DNA advancements have been incredible and they're only going to get better.

But that doesn't mean it's easy to catch criminals. It still takes a lot of work, both forensically, technologically, old school detective work, sometimes a little luck, and also a good prosecutor to put them away.

I find it close to impossible to watch detective movies and shows because so many of them are painfully unrealistic and it's something I just can't let slide, in the same way people here wouldn't be able to let it slide if a basketball movie had a character in the movie take 5 steps without dribbling with the basketball. There are some realistic detective shows and movies out there, but they're very rare. Because real detective work is quite boring and slow, unless you have great writers, so they need to juice it up with unrealistic plot angles.

Do you work on something related to law enforcement? What do you think of The Wire and Mindhunter? Share the link when you have the podcast running.

-----

Since we're talking about passions, I spend most of my day working while listening to music, so at the end of the year, I usually listen to around 100-150 LP's from that year, besides all the other music I listen to. I made this collage of my favourite music from 2017, just in case anyone is curious about it...

EDIT: You can read the names of the albums more clearly opening the image on a new tab.

FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#130 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 am

Martensitic wrote:
ProcessTrusta wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Do you work on something related to law enforcement? What do you think of The Wire and Mindhunter? Share the link when you have the podcast running.

I don't work in law enforcement. I had aspirations to when I was younger. My dad is a retired detective and others in my family. I've spent about 15 years studying criminal/forensic psychology and true crime.

My dream is to one day if I'm ever lucky enough to have enough money or partner with others who do, is to start a non-profit organization to search for missing persons. There are so many missing people out there and not enough resources out there to handle all the searches or pay for all of them.

I did see Mindhunter and The Wire. Loved them both. The Wire is obviously much different from Mindhunter. Mindhunter is a very slow burn. It isn't for everyone. But I think it's excellent. I always think it's important to take the time and think about the individuals who paved the way for criminal and psychological profiles that we use today. Because that is all the work put out by LE agencies like the FBI who had the nerve and stomach to sit down with serial killers and humanity's most depraved minds and pick their brains to try to better understand them so they could develop the basis for psychological profiling that we use today to help catch criminals.

Fun fact: one of the first psychological profiles done that we know of is none other than Adolf Hitler. A man by the name of Walter C Langer analyzed him in 1943ish and pretty accurately at that. Can look it up if you care to read about it.
septahex
Pro Prospect
And1: 341

Post#131 » by septahex » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:41 am

Philly.com is shutting down its forums.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by FireMorey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:18 am

septahex wrote:Philly.com is shutting down its forums.

Surprised it took this long.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#133 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:03 am

Oh thats why there’s a handful of new members here. Good!
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#134 » by BoomBap » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Martensitic wrote:
Since we're talking about passions, I spend most of my day working while listening to music, so at the end of the year, I usually listen to around 100-150 LP's from that year, besides all the other music I listen to. I made this collage of my favourite music from 2017, just in case anyone is curious about it...

EDIT: You can read the names of the albums more clearly opening the image on a new tab.

Sheesh, I love your music taste. 8-)

1.Billy Woods - Known Unknowns
2.Milo - Who Told You To Think?!
3.Armand Hammer - Rome
4.Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Dream
5.Cunninlynguists - Rose Azura Njano
6.Onry Ozzborn - c v p ii d
7.Fly Anakin & Koncept Jack$on - Chapel Drive
8.Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
9.Dälek - Endangered Philosophies
10. Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2wice

Here is my Rap Top 10 from last year. 2017 was a pretty good year for Rap.
Martensitic
Junior
And1: 313

Post#135 » by Martensitic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:58 pm

BoomBap wrote:
Martensitic wrote:

Sheesh, I love your music taste. 8-)

1.Billy Woods - Known Unknowns
2.Milo - Who Told You To Think?!
3.Armand Hammer - Rome
4.Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Dream
5.Cunninlynguists - Rose Azura Njano
6.Onry Ozzborn - c v p ii d
7.Fly Anakin & Koncept Jack$on - Chapel Drive
8.Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
9.Dälek - Endangered Philosophies
10. Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2wice

Here is my Rap Top 10 from last year. 2017 was a pretty good year for Rap.

There are a couple of things that I didnt know from that top 10, I'm going to listen to Armand Hammer right now.

What can you recommend me from this year? I've been digging these A LOT:

Saba - CARE FOR ME´
Kiefer - Happysad
David Bruno - O Ultimo Tango En Mafamude

David Bruno's is great, it catches really well with iberian 90's aesthetics :lol:

And the best album that I have heard this year, and probably the best I will have heard when the year ends, is "Death in Haiti: Funeral Brass Bands & Sounds from Port au Prince" by Félix Blume. It's an amazing document about how death is seen in Haiti, the first time I heard it, I got shivers down my spine, it's so powerful to listen to the pain of the relatives and the brass band.

https://discrepant.bandcamp.com/album/death-in-haiti-funeral-brass-bands-sounds-from-port-au-prince

"15 dead, 15 funerals, 16 funeral processions, 1 procession with no dead, 5 churches, 1 cemetery, 1 wake.
15 hours of recorded sounds are condensed into a vivid sound portrait depicting the way funerals and burials are lived in the Caribbean island of Haiti. Recorded in Port au Prince by sound artist Félix Blume in early December 2016, Death in Haiti plunges the listener into a world of pain, loss and solemn celebration as each funeral comprises of its own live jazz band as well as a plethora of characters like the joker (le blaguer) who cracks jokes and tales about the recently deceased.
A beautiful document of a thriving tradition, a counterpart or updated version of those famous Dirge Jazz records such as the New Orleans’ Eureka Brass Band on Folkways."
76ciology
RealGM

Post#136 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:40 pm

MASTER OF NONE. WOW. SEASON 3 PLEASE!

Saw "Skyscraper" starring "The Rock", it's like a mix of Fast & The Furious and Die Hard lol
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#137 » by Sixersftw » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:48 pm

I saw "Sorry to bother you" on Saturday night and it's a great piece of satire. I definitely recommend it.

Also, if you like music theory or listening to very smart people talk about music intelligently, I stumbled across this:
http://www.openculture.com/2012/03/leonard_bernsteins_masterful_lectures_on_music.html

It's Leonard Bernstein's series of lectures at Harvard comparing the innate qualities of language with those of Music. I'm not done with it (it's **** 11 hours total) but I've gone through half of it and it is really thought provoking.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#138 » by KramerDSP » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 am

Cobra Kai was surprisingly great (YouTube red offers a one month free trial with CK as the only show so far and ad-free content). Much more nuanced than I expected and the perfect way to go about exploring the characters from “Karate Kid” 30 years later.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#139 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:49 am

I have been on a Netflix binge kick recently.

Watched Mindhunter and loved it.

Watched Narcos through the first two seasons and thought it was pretty good. Not great, but worth watching.

Watched all 4 seasons of Peaky Blinders and enjoyed it very much. Parts of it were great.

Watched Ozark and loved it.

Now I’m about half way through the first season of The Crown and really enjoying it.

There is so much good stuff out there, and would love for anyone to recommend any other Netflix shows to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM

Post#140 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:23 am

Ericb5 wrote:I have been on a Netflix binge kick recently.

Watched Mindhunter and loved it.

Watched Narcos through the first two seasons and thought it was pretty good. Not great, but worth watching.

Watched all 4 seasons of Peaky Blinders and enjoyed it very much. Parts of it were great.

Watched Ozark and loved it.

Now I’m about half way through the first season of The Crown and really enjoying it.

There is so much good stuff out there, and would love for anyone to recommend any other Netflix shows to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I literally just watched first episode of mind hunter last night. And i like it so far

I only enjoyed first season of Narcos. Maybe i didnt enjoy it because i only watched it for Escobar.

Ozark is really good. Great story and great cast.

I didnt enjoy peaky blinders. I kinda got caught up with the heavy accent. Because I usually multi task while watching.

I posted some of the shows I enjoyed in my previous posts.

Really enjoyed Master of None. Shame that season 3 is in the air

Staircase is also a good documentary

Return to Philadelphia 76ers