ImageImageImage

Casey agrees to 5 year contract

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,958

Re: Casey agrees to 5 year contract 

Post#101 » by MrBigShot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:24 pm

He managed to lead the current raptors roster to the 2nd best record in the league. Nick Nurse, respected as he may be as an up and comer, is completely unproven.

It's more of a testament to us being a crappy destination than a reflection on Casey I think.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#102 » by The_Irony » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 pm

MrBigShot wrote:He managed to lead the current raptors roster to the 2nd best record in the league. Nick Nurse, respected as he may be as an up and comer, is completely unproven.

It's more of a testament to us being a crappy destination than a reflection on Casey I think.

if all the pistons could hire were Nick nurse types.. someone in here would say we can't get a big name coach because we're a crappy destination :lol:
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#103 » by King Bugs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Finn McCool wrote:Well, considering that people in general have differing opinions, there will always be pros and cons in many thread topics. I personally think it's irrational to group all members of this forum into one column(this board) unless, of course, you consider yourself among them. And if that is the case, only you are responsible for your own happiness. Therefore, cheer up!

I'm sure my opinions aren't anywhere near the popular opinion... but it doesn't make me wrong... or whining.... or 'never happy.' I would have loved to have seen the team go in another direction(rebuild), but I would agree that Casey is a good coach... and that he fits into Gores' objective.

You would think after a decade of complete and utter horribleness that fans would start to fall back with the crapping on the "pessimists" and realists on this message board every single summer. Why continue to pick fights with the people that usually end up being right?

:dontknow:
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#104 » by Double Helix » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am

You won’t find many in Toronto who don’t at the very least respect Casey as a man. Just a really solid guy if you meet him as a fan. Charming in an old school way. Was active in the community. Players love him. He’s great at building a culture and getting people to buy in. Not many coaches can hold onto a room as he did or even put up with Kyle Lowry’s mood swings but he did. He also adapts and improves himself. He takes feedback and criticism surprisingly well and did evolve as a coach here. I think he’s a better coach today than he was when we hired him. He has almost a fatherly figure that younger players seem to respect. A guy like Derozan considered him that way for example. He also rewards role players who step up with minutes. He will ride hot hands and close out games with unconventional lineups that seem to be working. He sort of develops closing lineups that are more defensive-oriented for situations where he has a lead. He loves multi-guard lineups when the starters don’t have it going. He tends to build his defensive approaches to pick and roll around his bigs. We iced a for a time because JV couldn’t hedge and recover. He will likely trust Drummond more. I think he will motivate Drummond. He benched guys like Derozan and Valanciunas late into games when they were getting lit up defensively and their reserves were providing more 2-way play. He also rides the refs pretty good and is very into games.

Where he’s weakest, IMO, is strategic in-game adjustments and time outs. He doesn’t frequently venture from a game plan at half time even if it isn’t working or if Lebron has already come up with a counter by the second quarter. And, yes, this is noticed more in the playoffs than the regular season. He develops strong one-size-fits all approaches that work well for the grind of the 82 game regular season but in various playoff battles I have felt his game planning was sub par and below the true tactical experts of the sport. He’s a few tiers below the top guys like Pop and Brad Stevens or even Pop deciples like Budenholzer in this area. I’m not sure if he didn’t trust our personnel to be able to adapt on the fly but it was frustrating watching Lebron spot what we’re trying to do defensively and always find the counter while we stubbornly stuck to the pre-game plan.

Put simply, I think he is in that second tier of very good coaches who can build you an excellent regular season approach and culture but who struggles against the top basketball minds playing the sport and making adjustments or the coaches who do the same and in a best of 7 series you can lose a game or two each round from just being a little slow in in your adjustments.

Often we would all be shouting for an adjustment by half time that wouldn’t occur and then in the next game in the series he would make the change we wanted a half sooner. He makes the adjustments but they feel a game slow. That’s the difference between him and the guys that are the next level up.

Still a very good hire for you guys.
TC-Flint
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#105 » by TC-Flint » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:50 am

All pretty true except Budenholzer started to fizzle out in Atlanta while Casey’s teams, record wise, kept getting better. I still think Casey is a better coach than Budenholzer.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#106 » by coordinator0 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:08 pm

TC-Flint wrote:All pretty true except Budenholzer started to fizzle out in Atlanta while Casey’s teams, record wise, kept getting better. I still think Casey is a better coach than Budenholzer.

Did... did you look at Atlanta's roster last year? There's a reason he started to "fizzle out" and it's pretty obvious. No coach is winning much without a solid base of talent regardless of their tactical abilities.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#107 » by The_Irony » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:20 pm

coordinator0 wrote:
TC-Flint wrote:All pretty true except Budenholzer started to fizzle out in Atlanta while Casey’s teams, record wise, kept getting better. I still think Casey is a better coach than Budenholzer.

Did... did you look at Atlanta's roster last year? There's a reason he started to "fizzle out" and it's pretty obvious. No coach is winning much without a solid base of talent regardless of their tactical abilities.

they weren't doing anything except going to the second Rd with all Stars on their team. I'd say bud and Casey aren't far off. people really just don't like Casey around here
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#108 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Think of it this way: If Lowry and Derozan combine for More than 2 points in in the 4th quarter of game 1 and Lebron Doesn’t hit that crazy buzzer beater in game 3, and the raptors lose in 6, does Casey get fired? Probably not. So are we going to say he’s not at the very least a good coach? He’s a GOAT buzzer beater and a non-choke job of two good players masquerading as great players away from coaching a top team in the east for another year. I wanted Udoka, but We’re lucky to get a competent coach to come to this tire fire. It seems to me everyone is equating all raptor flaws to Casey and all positives to Nurse. It’s definitely not that. And it’s definitely not the other way around. It’s some where in between and I’m leaning towards the good being with Casey.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,348

Post#109 » by hoophabit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:05 am

Great coaches are always associated with great players. Given the roster, it's hard to say the Raptors underperformed. 59 wins is a dandy season. Getting LeBron for your first playoff seeding was a poor reward for a good season. Casey skills might be what this team needs. Next season hangs on player health and development.
TC-Flint
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#110 » by TC-Flint » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:02 am

We all have our preferences, but I like Casey over Budenholzer even though the Bucks will be better than Detroit.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#111 » by thesack12 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Don't like this hire.

Similar to what I mentioned in the GM thread about Stefanski, Casey is a known commodity. With the position this team is in, an unknown commodity (boom or bust type) should have been the direction to go in. Becky Hammon, Ime Udoka, Stackhouse, etc all fit that bill.

All that said, myself along with everybody else knows Casey being a known commodity is why he got the job. Gores is just incredibly short-sighted.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,442

Post#112 » by Canadafan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Mo_Speights5
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#113 » by Mo_Speights5 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:31 pm

very nice fit for the Pistons. Hope he develops Stanley to the next level of his game.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#114 » by Canadafan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Mo_Speights5 wrote:very nice fit for the Pistons. Hope he develops Stanley to the next level of his game.

Luke, Bullock and even Ellenson too
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#115 » by Laimbeer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:47 pm

There is that Coach of the Year thing. Even if you thought someone else deserved it, it's quite an accomplishment to just be in consideration. As far as deep playoff runs go, we don't have to worry about a coach getting us from B+ to A while we're sitting at C- or D+.

I'll (perhaps foolishly) hold out some hope for better basketball in Detroit this season barring that major injury to Blake or Reggie. If we'd never acquired Blake and SVG was coming back with the same crowd it would be tough just to tune in. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer a competitve, playoff-level team even if we know there's no title shot.

I'm interested to see how much our players may improve, particularly Drummond, Jackson, and Johnson. It never felt like SVG had their total attention and respect. He was like a Dad nagging his kids to try harder in school and he often got ignored.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#116 » by Canadafan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Laimbeer wrote:There is that Coach of the Year thing. Even if you thought someone else deserved it, it's quite an accomplishment to just be in consideration. As far as deep playoff runs go, we don't have to worry about a coach getting us from B+ to A while we're sitting at C- or D+.

I'll be content to see us go from D+ to B+. Looking forward to it. Like you said we can worry about taking the next step to A later :nod:
Mo_Speights5
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#117 » by Mo_Speights5 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:37 am

Canadafan wrote:
Mo_Speights5 wrote:very nice fit for the Pistons. Hope he develops Stanley to the next level of his game.

Luke, Bullock and even Ellenson too

would love to see my team with a really promising future. that would be great.

Return to Detroit Pistons