The Washington Capitals Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Capitals Thread 

Post#321 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Rafael122 wrote:The assistant Reirden is allegedly the head coach in waiting.

I think everyone was expecting this if the Caps didn't win. But winning should have changed this, imo. Not a good start to life after the championship. Ted gave Brooks (a proven very ordinary coach) a 5 year 35 mil deal. I'd really like to know what his offer to Trotz was.

Dude just won the organization's first Stanley Cup, and you say buhbye in a week??????? Seriously?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#322 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:

I think everyone was expecting this if the Caps didn't win. But winning should have changed this, imo. Not a good start to life after the championship. Ted gave Brooks (a proven very ordinary coach) a 5 year 35 mil deal. I'd really like to know what his offer to Trotz was.

Dude just won the organization's first Stanley Cup, and you say buhbye in a week??????? Seriously?

His contract rolled over and his salary was like $2 million which is below average what other guys are making.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#323 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

His contract rolled over and his salary was like $2 million which is below average what other guys are making.

So why not renegotiate?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#324 » by Scott Hall » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Yeah saw this as the lead story on espn.com just now...

Was hearing rumors of Trotz even being linked to the new Seattle expansion franchise in a couple of years
so not surprising he's gone.

I just don't understand why the Caps wouldn't renegotiate with him and reward him after winning the cup
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#325 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think everyone was expecting this if the Caps didn't win. But winning should have changed this, imo. Not a good start to life after the championship. Ted gave Brooks (a proven very ordinary coach) a 5 year 35 mil deal. I'd really like to know what his offer to Trotz was.

So why not renegotiate?

I think Ted and the Lerners have this thing where they believe you can put any coach in that position. Lerners have gone through like 6 or 7 different head coaches and have let them go when it was time to pay up.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#326 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 pm

I assume Ernie told Ted that Trotz wasn't worth it.

Oops, wrong sport.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#327 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 am

Scott Hall wrote:Yeah saw this as the lead story on espn.com just now...

Was hearing rumors of Trotz even being linked to the new Seattle expansion franchise in a couple of years
so not surprising he's gone.

I just don't understand why the Caps wouldn't renegotiate with him and reward him after winning the cup

Definitely some inner turmoil going on, not just $.

The Seattle thing wouldn’t surprise me one bit, but a guy that likes scratching young players for Beagle and Orpik (LOL), might not be the best fit.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#328 » by closg00 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:00 am

Leonsis and his dysfunction, F him
I understand that Stoltz was the lowest paid coach in the NHL, good on him to hoist a middle finger to Fat Ted.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#329 » by queridiculo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:27 am

Great optics Ted.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#330 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:30 pm

According to CSN, it appears that Trotz wanted a 5 year deal whereas the Caps were concerned whether Trotz would still have staying power.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#331 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Kanyewest wrote:According to CSN, it appears that Trotz wanted a 5 year deal whereas the Caps were concerned whether Trotz would still have staying power.

Again, I gotta laugh that it's the same owner that gave Scott Brooks a 5 year contract at the upper end of what NBA coaches get.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#332 » by closg00 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:According to CSN, it appears that Trotz wanted a 5 year deal whereas the Caps were concerned whether Trotz would still have staying power.

Again, I gotta laugh that it's the same owner that gave Scott Brooks a 5 year contract at the upper end of what NBA coaches get.

....AND, keeps Ernie Grunfeld for 15 YEARS and counting.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#333 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Although this doesn't contradict what they were saying in the article, stating that players will tune out after more than 5 years (Trotz has already been with the Caps since 2014). That being said, I can understand the Caps probably should have just paid Trotz and moved on. Although, I think it is hard to repeat in the NHL anyways so bringing Trotz back would not have guaranteed success either.

I bet Grunfeld feels differently about people staying around longer than 5 years though.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#334 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

The Caps also have a top assistant in Todd Rierden. I guess time will tell if the Caps made the wrong bet, although if they kept Trotz it is likely they would have lost Rierden to another team.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#335 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Trotz is 55? Damn. I thought he was in his mid 60's.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#336 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Trotz is 55? Damn. I thought he was in his mid 60's.

You should see him on skates - he looks more like 45.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#337 » by gravytrain24 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 2:53 pm

Beagle signing elsewhere is a tough loss for the caps. His ability to kill penalties and win faceoffs will be missed along with just being a great team guy.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#338 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jul 1, 2018 8:01 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:Beagle signing elsewhere is a tough loss for the caps. His ability to kill penalties and win faceoffs will be missed along with just being a great team guy.

Still a good offseason, keeping Kempny and Carlson together. DSP for cheap. You were going to lose somebody. They do need to find a strong face-off guy.
MVPofDC
Sophomore
And1: 157

Post#339 » by MVPofDC » Mon Jul 2, 2018 1:19 am

Amid all the current LeBron to LA hysteria, its only right that my first post acknowledge the 2018 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals!
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#340 » by Scott Hall » Wed Jul 4, 2018 3:58 am

Was just thinking about the current state of the NBA compared to the NHL...

Durant couldn't beat the Warriors his biggest rival for years was up 3-1 and choked and then bailed
on the fans and franchise that drafted him to join them destroying the leagues competitive balance
for years. Losing respect from fans all across the league.

Ovechkin couldn't beat the Pens his biggest rival for years but never gave up never complained and
finally conquered his demons after years and delivered a championship for the District and is probably
the most popular and beloved player in the league.

Return to Washington Wizards