ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-19 Rookies (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Landry Shamet & Jerome Robinson)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

2018-19 Rookies (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Landry Shamet & Jerome Robinson) 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:11 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: The Clippers select Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Jerome Robinson 

Post#2 » by mkwest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:17 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

SGA: 6'4.5 (barefoot), 6'6 (shoes), 6'11.5 (WS), 8'8 (SR)
JR: 6'4 (barefoot), 6'5 (shoes), 6'7.25 (WS), 8'2 (SR)
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Pictured Pair 

Post#3 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:26 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#4 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:39 am

Guess I'll just have to live with the pick. I like Shai, but I will have to let Robinson grow on me.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:44 am

This draft gets a C- from me. Only reason it's not an F is because I like Shai.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by mkwest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#7 » by nickhx2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:12 am

oh i'm sure beverley will introduce himself just fine lol
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#8 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 am

nickhx2 wrote:oh i'm sure beverley will introduce himself just fine lol

Pat Bev was over on NBA-TV. Said he'll try not to destroy the rookies' confidence too much in practice, LOL

seemed unperturbed abt the Clips drafting his replacements
just kept pumping up this year's team

what a great guy
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#9 » by TheNewEra » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:42 am

Quite the logjam right now. Not really feeling the Robinson pick if he is just going to be a pure scorer what happen with Lou Williams?

Beverly/SGA/Rivers
Williams/Robinson/Rivers?

We still don’t have the SF or PF spot lock down with Gallo injury prone and Wesley being poop.
Ranma
RealGM

Yin-and-Yang Backcourt 

Post#10 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:51 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#11 » by TucsonClip » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:54 am

Get out of my head Givony!
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by mkwest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:09 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

LA Times Article on Drafted Pair 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 am

Read on Twitter
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#14 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:36 am

TheNewEra wrote:Quite the logjam right now. Not really feeling the Robinson pick if he is just going to be a pure scorer what happen with Lou Williams?

Beverly/SGA/Rivers
Williams/Robinson/Rivers?

We still don’t have the SF or PF spot lock down with Gallo injury prone and Wesley being poop.

Obviously Harris is an above average small forward.

I liked the Harris-Gallinari pairing last season in the few games they had both- however defense and rebounding could be issues
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#15 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 am

mkwest wrote:
SGA: 6'4.5 (barefoot), 6'6 (shoes), 6'11.5 (WS), 8'8 (SR)
JR: 6'4 (barefoot), 6'5 (shoes), 6'7.25 (WS), 8'2 (SR)

Jerome Robinson needs bigger shoes
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Ranma
RealGM

Too Shai 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
poultryfan
Senior
And1: 875

Post#17 » by poultryfan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 am

I'm really not a big fan of SGA. If you're a guard that can't shoot then you have to be elite at something else. Otherwise all you get a Shaun Livingston/Eric Snow type of player, which might still be fine at the bottom of the lottery but the Clippers also gave up 2 2nds to move up just one spot. The front office must truly believe in him to give up semi-valuable and cost controlled assets on a rebuilding team. I sincerely hope they're right and I'm wrong.

I don't know anything about Jerome Robinson so I can't comment. All I know is Porter Jr's injury must be awful for him to drop so low.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#18 » by SharoneWright » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:03 am

2 high character players. Nice young pieces to help build. The rest is up to management. gl
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#19 » by Neddy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 am

Robinson was not really projected that far behind. most had him going around 17th, and at least one had mocked us picking him up at exactly 13th.

understand the gripes about this kid not being a defender, although I haven't seen him play, the concern is universal. but also reading that he shot 49% on the court while being the only offensively viable player for his team, means he was able to accomplish the 49% while being often double teamed and being the main target for opposing team's defensive scheme. maybe it is being a sucker to authoritarianism, but i trust Jerry West at his age with his ability to judge talent than most pundits on any form of media.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Independent Evaluations on Robinson 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 am

Neddy wrote:Robinson was not really projected that far behind. most had him going around 17th, and at least one had mocked us picking him up at exactly 13th.

understand the gripes about this kid not being a defender, although I haven't seen him play, the concern is universal. but also reading that he shot 49% on the court while being the only offensively viable player for his team, means he was able to accomplish the 49% while being often double teamed and being the main target for opposing team's defensive scheme. maybe it is being a sucker to authoritarianism, but i trust Jerry West at his age with his ability to judge talent than most pundits on any form of media.

I'm not sure what mock drafts you were looking at, Neddy, but most mocks based on big-board evaluations had him in the 20's, if not the second round, from what I recall. He only started shooting up because more recent mocks focus on information gathered behind the scenes from NBA executives, agents, players, and whomever else in that scene. I suspect the one you saw predicting him at 13th overall was from DraftExpress (via ESPN Insider) since I think they were the one who first reported that the Clippers--more specifically Jerry West--were really interested in Robinson.

Now to be fair, Jay Bilas likes our draft and admitted that he himself may have underrated Robinson since he had him ranked in the 20's on his own big board. Bilas called him possibly the best all-around offensive talent in the draft. I'm also hearing that, much like Kyle Kuzma, his full set of skills was not put on display at his college program on a regular basis.

Apparently, Robinson has playmaking skills as a facilitator and passer. While he's also not an individual lock-down defender given his lack of tools, he's open to guarding multiple positions off the switch in a team setting.

You also make an excellent point about him being productive in spite of being the only weapon on his team with the accompanying increased attention from the opposition defense. The one thing that did immediately impress me from his profile was his offensive efficiency as a high-volume shooter. That is indeed a rare combination and he supposedly is not just relegated to just shooting 3-pointers as he's effective at the 3 levels of scoring, which I presume pertain to 3-point shooting, mid-range shots, and driving to the hole.

While he also lacks the athleticism and advanced skills to be a one-on-one shot creator or isolation player, he apparently is effective in moving without the ball and getting touches in the flow of a team's offense. Prior to this draft day, I was thinking how we lacked a perimeter shooter like J.J. Redick and the mid-range efficiency lost from Chris Paul's departure with our aim at uniting Kawhi and LeBron on the Clippers. Robinson may actually fill such a role capably.

At the same time and without seeing what he can do first-hand at the next level for the Clippers, this pick still seems like a reach with little upside. Like I've said before, I hope to be proven wrong but I still can't say that I like this pick at all...at least not yet. Admittedly, the more information I gather on him, the less unappealing he becomes but he's still far away from winning me over, especially when there's already a strong sense that there will be prospects drafted after our picks who will eventually be better than our choices.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers