ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

IcyVeins
Sophomore
And1: 12

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#221 » by IcyVeins » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:40 pm

It's ok, DLO will come back home in 2019.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#222 » by bws94 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:06 am

steady wrote:
bws94 wrote:I'm concerned that Kenny's treatment of D'Angelo will have him not playing free. That benching of him in one game last season was ridiculous. He wasn't doing anything that bad and suddenly, he was on the bench and didn't start or play the second half. And KA just seems to be trying to mold D'Angelo into something other than what his natural instincts lead him. If he plays tight, he just won't play well. I think D'Angelo needs to be more efficient, take care of the ball better, but his vision is quite good. When he doesn't force passes he does well. He has to be able to identify when to give up the ball before being forced into a turnover and not get himself trapped. It takes time. To me, he looks like a facilitating 2. But he can be a co-facilitating guard with no strict 1 or 2 as well. Just has to find the balance.

Din played tight with D'Angelo because Din wasn't the total PG anymore. But that can be worked out. We'll have to see how the guards are used in actual games next season.

I'm running on Chrome with adblocker. I'm ok.

DLo has bad mental habits. His shot selection is bad, and has been bad his entire career. His defense is not good enough.
And those are just two examples.

He does not need to feel comfortable; he needs to understand that he will have to retool fundamental aspects of how he approaches the game. He's not nearly as disciplined as he needs to be.

Although a lot of people were frustrated with Crabbe's play last year, I wasn't because you could tell he heard what Kenny was telling him, and he was trying to work on those areas.

Sometimes I feel like DLo is not hearing Kenny. And that's a much bigger problem than DLo getting a little tight because KA is trying to get through to him, whatever way he can.

I don't disagree with you. And I like Kenny a lot. I just wonder if benching a guy is the best approach to improving him.

KA usually finds the right approach to develop young talent. But maybe DLo responds to a different type of approach.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#223 » by steady » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:11 am

bws94 wrote:
steady wrote:
bws94 wrote:I'm concerned that Kenny's treatment of D'Angelo will have him not playing free. That benching of him in one game last season was ridiculous. He wasn't doing anything that bad and suddenly, he was on the bench and didn't start or play the second half. And KA just seems to be trying to mold D'Angelo into something other than what his natural instincts lead him. If he plays tight, he just won't play well. I think D'Angelo needs to be more efficient, take care of the ball better, but his vision is quite good. When he doesn't force passes he does well. He has to be able to identify when to give up the ball before being forced into a turnover and not get himself trapped. It takes time. To me, he looks like a facilitating 2. But he can be a co-facilitating guard with no strict 1 or 2 as well. Just has to find the balance.

Din played tight with D'Angelo because Din wasn't the total PG anymore. But that can be worked out. We'll have to see how the guards are used in actual games next season.

DLo has bad mental habits. His shot selection is bad, and has been bad his entire career. His defense is not good enough.

He does not need to feel comfortable; he needs to understand that he will have to retool fundamental aspects of how he approaches the game. He's not nearly as disciplined as he needs to be.

Although a lot of people were frustrated with Crabbe's play last year, I wasn't because you could tell he heard what Kenny was telling him, and he was trying to work on those areas.

Sometimes I feel like DLo is not hearing Kenny. And that's a much bigger problem than DLo getting a little tight because KA is trying to get through to him, whatever way he can.

I don't disagree with you. And I like Kenny a lot. I just wonder if benching a guy is the best approach to improving him.

KA usually finds the right approach to develop young talent. But maybe DLo responds to a different type of approach.

Development process is never pretty - it is never a consistently ascending positive slope.

More often than not, it is a jagged line that often looks like a steep dive down if you zoom in and only look at a short time segment -- that was evident with each of Crabbe, RHJ, and LeVert's path in the last two years.

My read is that DLos not going to give up his ball hogging, shot hogging, defense shirking, ways without some degree of Kenny coming down hard on him.

An interesting twist is that Musa has so many of the same flaws that DLo does. Bad shot selection, weak defense, needs the ball in his hands to be most effective. As well as some of the same strengths - ice in the veins, talented scorer

Edit - I have a much higher opinion of DLo than the above might indicate.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#224 » by kamaze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:53 am

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

There you have it the coach says he needs to improve his defense for all of you that said defense from the point guard isn't needed. :roll:
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager

Post#225 » by kamaze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 am

MrDollarBills wrote:This website runs terribly on Chrome btw.

So yeah I recall someone on here saying that D'Angelo and Spencer didn't get along well. they seem pretty alright in that picture.

On the court they didn't mesh Dinwiddie was benched because DLO was better playing point guard.
I think he was jealous of Spencer's skills and how well he was doing but that's just my personal opinion on the outside looking in hanging out it's a different story the whole team gets along.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,061

Post#226 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 am

kamaze wrote:

So yeah I recall someone on here saying that D'Angelo and Spencer didn't get along well. they seem pretty alright in that picture.

On the court they didn't mesh Dinwiddie was benched because DLO was better playing point guard.
I think he was jealous of Spencer's skills and how well he was doing but that's just my personal opinion on the outside looking in hanging out it's a different story the whole team gets along.

You literally have no proof of this.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#227 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:14 am

IcyVeins wrote:It's ok, DLO will come back home in 2019.

What team do you root for again? You never clarified that one detail.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#228 » by kamaze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:26 am

steady wrote:

“I know coming here he wanted a new beginning, a new start, he had high hopes. He played well for us at times, but he just has to be more consistent. If we can get a more consistent D’Angelo, that would help our team a ton. He just has to come in this summer and buy in, hit the weights, do what the performance team tells him to do, live in this gym like Caris did last year.”

DeMarre said he needs to buy in and hit the weights that should be a red flag for everyone here but some of you will be fooled...MDB

His bad habits are a problem because you know the coach is pointing out defense every day in the film room yet he hasn't gotten better on that end of the floor. Now the coach is publicly saying he needs to get better defensively and get stronger when this team keeps things hush hush.

Crabbe changed his game to fit into the system Dlo for whatever reason hasn't. Honestly I think we might be asking too much from him he's just not that player we want him to be.

But after Crabbe made a great defensive play to help beat the Orlando Magic, he told Nets Daily that he’s fed up of the questions surrounding his defense and has made a concerted effort of impacting the game in more ways beyond his shooting.

“I’m low-key tired of hearing people trying to question my defense,” said Crabbe after the win over Orlando. “Coming over here in this new role, there’s a lot of expectations now.

“I don’t want to be the liability, especially in film the next day if coach points out things that went wrong that night. Just knowing if my shot is not going, obviously I’ve been in kind of a slump lately, I could impact the game in other ways and I feel like that starts with defense.”

kamaze
General Manager

Post#229 » by kamaze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:28 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:

I said it was my personal opinion guess you missed that part...

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#230 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:48 am

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:

Most people form opinions surrounding some semblance of facts though. Usually.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#231 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:50 am

kamaze wrote:
steady wrote:

“I know coming here he wanted a new beginning, a new start, he had high hopes. He played well for us at times, but he just has to be more consistent. If we can get a more consistent D’Angelo, that would help our team a ton. He just has to come in this summer and buy in, hit the weights, do what the performance team tells him to do, live in this gym like Caris did last year.”

DeMarre said he needs to buy in and hit the weights that should be a red flag for everyone here but some of you will be fooled...MDB

His bad habits are a problem because you know the coach is pointing out defense every day in the film room yet he hasn't gotten better on that end of the floor. Now the coach is publicly saying he needs to get better defensively and get stronger when this team keeps things hush hush.

Crabbe changed his game to fit into the system Dlo for whatever reason hasn't. Honestly I think we might be asking too much from him he's just not that player we want him to be.

But after Crabbe made a great defensive play to help beat the Orlando Magic, he told Nets Daily that he’s fed up of the questions surrounding his defense and has made a concerted effort of impacting the game in more ways beyond his shooting.

“I’m low-key tired of hearing people trying to question my defense,” said Crabbe after the win over Orlando. “Coming over here in this new role, there’s a lot of expectations now.

“I don’t want to be the liability, especially in film the next day if coach points out things that went wrong that night. Just knowing if my shot is not going, obviously I’ve been in kind of a slump lately, I could impact the game in other ways and I feel like that starts with defense.”

so far I've seen Russell with the team during a player organized training session and he's been seen around the facility with personnel and went on record saying the most that he's been focusing on this offseason is improving his body. yet somehow, I'm to believe he's off somewhere lazing off, smoking weed and not giving a rats ass.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#232 » by kamaze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I'm not most people.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#233 » by kamaze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:54 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:
steady wrote:

so far I've seen Russell with the team during a player organized training session and he's been seen around the facility with personnel and went on record saying the most that he's been focusing on this offseason is improving his body. yet somehow, I'm to believe he's off somewhere lazing off, smoking weed and not giving a rats ass.

Like I said some people will be fooled by him saying the right things. Talking the talk and walking the walk are two different things my guy.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#234 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 am

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:

Like I said some people will be fooled by him saying the right things. Talking the talk and walking the walk are two different things my guy.

literally everyone is echoing the same criticisms and is waiting to see what happens with him this season. no one has been remotely fooled. no one is making wild assumptions either. well, aside from you.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#235 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:03 am

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:

I'm not most people.

That's fine. forming opinions without them being based within facts isn't a good look, but do you.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#236 » by kamaze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

literally everyone is echoing the same criticisms and is waiting to see what happens with him this season. no one has been remotely fooled. no one is making wild assumptions either. well, aside from you.

MrDollarBills wrote:so far I've seen Russell with the team during a player organized training session and he's been seen around the facility with personnel and went on record saying the most that he's been focusing on this offseason is improving his body. yet somehow, I'm to believe he's off somewhere lazing off, smoking weed and not giving a rats ass.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#237 » by kamaze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:18 am

Like I said there's a difference between talking and showing improvement.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#238 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:53 am

Recent pics of D-Lo he looks like he's in pretty great shape, but is still skipping leg day. His ankles look like uncooked angel hair.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,589

Post#239 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Recent pics of D-Lo he looks like he's in pretty great shape, but is still skipping leg day. His ankles look like uncooked angel hair.

I don’t think it really matters if he’s in shape or not. The guy simply has genetic limitations that are always going to hold him back at this level.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#240 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:19 pm

improved shooting and decision making are bigger factors than him skipping leg day, but yeah the kid is 6'5 with legs that look like barked tree twigs. I can't fathom how the training team doesn't have him working on them. hell even a simple leg press routine twice a week will add some muscle to them

this is coming from someone who hates working legs but does so anyway :oops:

Return to Brooklyn Nets