Tanking In A Dynasty League: What Should The Commissioner Do?

Moderator: MadNESS

What Should The Commissioner Do?

Remove The Tanking Owner From The League Entirely
14%
Fine The Owner An Undisclosed Amount Of Actual Money (USD)
No votes
Fine The Owner An Undisclosed Amount Of FAAB Money (Internal League Currency)
No votes
Remove A Pick From The Tanking Owner
No votes
Move The Tanking Owner Down In The Rookie Draft
No votes
Calculate The Rookie Draft Order Using A Different Criteria Than Specified In The Bylaws
No votes
Make A New Anti-Tanking Rule And Apply It Retroactively As Well As Going Forward
29%
Make A New Anti-Tanking Rule And Only Apply It Going Forward
57%
Nothing At All. No Action Necessary.
No votes

Total votes: 7

turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Tanking In A Dynasty League: What Should The Commissioner Do? 

Post#1 » by turcorox911 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Let's say the commissioner of a dynasty league discovered that someone tanked during a few games at the end of the season (Year 2 of the league) to get a better draft pick in this year's upcoming rookie draft. There aren't any explicit anti-tanking rules and the way the rookie draft order is calculated for the upcoming draft has been posted since the league started (i.e. it has been posted and disclosed to the owners for over two years). The owner that tanked has a screenshot of a text message where he and the commissioner seemed to have an understanding that the fantasy site allows you to start inactive players for that week. The commissioner claims that the owner never explicitly asked about tanking, but the owner understood it as a pro-tanking position.

The commissioner has already collected dues for the upcoming season (the season for which the rookie draft will take place), but he does not like the fact that somebody tanked. Furthermore, the tanking owner also has a screenshot of where the commissioner says that the order of the draft must be the way that it is posted. However, the commissioner is still seriously thinking about changing the draft order regardless because he is really anti-tanking (a position that was not known to anyone until now). If he changes one of the draft tiebreakers from total points scored to another criterion that accounts for bench points, then the tanking team moves down a spot in every round of the draft (8 round rookie draft). But doing so would also cause at least 2 other teams who did not tank to fall down a spot as well.

On the other hand, the tanking owner has played in leagues where tanking has occurred, specifically, leagues where teams were allowed to bench their star players in order to lose a game (to get themselves a better matchup in the first round, a better draft pick, etc.). However, the commissioner has never seen this tactic in 10+ years of playing. The tanking owner has also played in leagues where teams were allowed to bench a starter in order to preserve a victory, by not running the risk of the player scoring negative points. The tanking owner also believes that tanking happens in real life, but the commissioner is of the firm opinion that it does not. On top of that, the tanking owner has hard evidence that tanking happened in Year 1 of the league, but the commissioner is unaware of this. For what it is worth, the team that tanked in Year 1 is the commissioner's brother.

Again, the games that were tanked are already in the books, and most of this was revealed after the fact. It is worth noting that in the final game of the season, the commissioner did spot the tanking and after an exchange, the tanking owner agreed to set a new lineup because, although he thought it was fair game, he just didn't want to start any drama among the league members.

This is a 16 team for-money league. PPR scoring, with a TE premium (1.5 ppr for TEs). There are IDPs as well. Many owners complained about the tanking when it was spotted, and threatened to leave the league. Furthermore, some owners are upset that the tanking team finished with a lower record than them, because he may not have if he had set his best lineup each week. That is to say, the tanking owner was able to move up to a higher spot in the draft because he tanked.

Finally, the tanking owner has asked the commissioner about the draft order, and the commissioner said that the way it is posted in the bylaws is the way it will be calculated. The tanking owner also has a screenshot of this.

What should the commissioner do? Should the commissioner implement any "corrective" measures? If so, then how? Is changing the order of the rookie draft an option? Should the tanking team be penalized in any kind of way? Should the tanking team be moved down in the rookie draft or have picks removed?
Pro-Am40
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Tanking In A Dynasty League: What Should The Commissioner Do? 

Post#2 » by Pro-Am40 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:35 pm

If I was the commissioner, I would publish a no tanking policy, and state if someone is found to be taking, to get a higher pick, they will be subject to loosing their pick in the 1st round or placed in a final 5 spots to draft a 1st round pick.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#3 » by IrishRainbow » Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:43 pm

Was the fee paid? Yes? Move on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 3, 2018 12:57 am

We have a dynasty league on the Suns forum and we bounced ideas around a lot to try and avoid this. It's kind of hard to avoid though, if you have a draft based on previous year's results.

However, we decided to do 4 mini lotteries (16 team league) so we have one for the 1-4 spots, 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16. Additionally, we have a rule where if you fail to meet the activity level (cannot have more than like 25 total games missed between all roster spots) then you move down an entire draft tier.

We had two teams move from first to second tier this year. Teams could probably still tank and meet the activity level by simply playing bad players instead of leaving roster spots open though.

We may end up instituting some sort of rule where you cannot draft in the top 8 for 3 consecutive years or something as well, but not sure.

I also keep a running tally of where you finish in the league to kind of have a gauge of how well teams have done overall....so if they win it they get 16 points and if they come in last they get 1, and you cumulatively add the results season by season.
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#5 » by turcorox911 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:53 pm

IrishRainbow wrote:Was the fee paid? Yes? Move on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Wait, what do you mean? If fee was paid, then you can't change the order, or since fee was paid, you have to live with any changes, regardless if they violate the rules or not?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 am

Pro-Am40 wrote:If I was the commissioner, I would publish a no tanking policy, and state if someone is found to be taking, to get a higher pick, they will be subject to loosing their pick in the 1st round or placed in a final 5 spots to draft a 1st round pick.

But what if there wasn't a rule, like there wasn't one here?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:39 am

bwgood77 wrote:We have a dynasty league on the Suns forum and we bounced ideas around a lot to try and avoid this. It's kind of hard to avoid though, if you have a draft based on previous year's results.

However, we decided to do 4 mini lotteries (16 team league) so we have one for the 1-4 spots, 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16. Additionally, we have a rule where if you fail to meet the activity level (cannot have more than like 25 total games missed between all roster spots) then you move down an entire draft tier.

We had two teams move from first to second tier this year. Teams could probably still tank and meet the activity level by simply playing bad players instead of leaving roster spots open though.

We may end up instituting some sort of rule where you cannot draft in the top 8 for 3 consecutive years or something as well, but not sure.

I also keep a running tally of where you finish in the league to kind of have a gauge of how well teams have done overall....so if they win it they get 16 points and if they come in last they get 1, and you cumulatively add the results season by season.

I'm interested in playing a dynasty basketball league. Gimme some more deets please.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:46 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:We have a dynasty league on the Suns forum and we bounced ideas around a lot to try and avoid this. It's kind of hard to avoid though, if you have a draft based on previous year's results.

I'm interested in playing a dynasty basketball league. Gimme some more deets please.

What do you want to know?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:49 am

bwgood77 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Site, scoring settings, league size, how are rosters set up, is there a taxi/practice/development squad? etc..
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:56 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Site, scoring settings, league size, how are rosters set up, is there a taxi/practice/development squad? etc..

We use yahoo fantasy basketball. We have 16 teams....you start a PG/SG/G/SF/PF/F/C/Util/Util

It ranks you in 8 categories, (points, assists, rebounds, steals, blocks, FG%, FT%, 3s) and you can also have turnovers as a category...our league doesn't.

So everyone starts a lineup every night and the leader in a category at any given time in a 16 team league has 16 points for that category....last place in the category has 1 point.

So you have to balance things well.

We also do a redraft league....I finally won our top redraft league on the Suns forum this year. If you haven't played fantasy before it might be better to start with one of these.

In our dynasty we have 8 keepers, so if you have a bad team it might be quite hard to turn it around.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:05 am

bwgood77 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

We use yahoo fantasy basketball. We have 16 teams....you start a PG/SG/G/SF/PF/F/C/Util/Util

It ranks you in 8 categories, (points, assists, rebounds, steals, blocks, FG%, FT%, 3s) and you can also have turnovers as a category...our league doesn't.

So everyone starts a lineup every night and the leader in a category at any given time in a 16 team league has 16 points for that category....last place in the category has 1 point.

We also do a redraft league....I finally won our top redraft league on the Suns forum this year. If you haven't played fantasy before it might be better to start with one of these.

In our dynasty we have 8 keepers, so if you have a bad team it might be quite hard to turn it around.

I gotcha. Are personal fouls an option too? What about 3P% as opposed to (or even in addition to) straight up 3s?

Are technical fouls, flagrant fouls, and ejections counted too? I think ESPN accounts for those, but not sure about Yahoo.

I wish they would account for charges drawn tbh. That'd be dope.

Finally, are you allowed to have 0 keepers, or do you HAVE to have 8?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:13 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

I gotcha. Are personal fouls an option too? What about 3P% as opposed to (or even in addition to) straight up 3s?

Are technical fouls, flagrant fouls, and ejections counted too? I think ESPN accounts for those, but not sure about Yahoo.

Honestly, you can customize leagues however you want I think. I do think fouls might be an option. Not sure about 3pt%.

Most leagues are new drafts with 0 keepers, so you wouldn't create a dynasty league for new keepers. It is just a new league with a draft...we have done them on the Suns forum for years. We have had a premier league and a G league and the top 3 teams in the G league move up and the bottom 3 in premier move down. I joined about 5 years ago and moved up from G league to premier my first year and then moved back down...premier was super competitive...people do tons of research. Then I moved back up and somehow this year I won.

You can see our leagues here and you can even look back at the draft threads. We do them on the forums for fun....everyone makes their picks in the thread...one year one guy had no clue what was going on and it might have been the funniest thread I have ever read....if you want a laugh I could point you to that if I could find it.

Anyway, here is where discussion, the drafts, etc, for our last 3 leagues were... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1753094#p68952635
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Honestly, you can customize leagues however you want I think. I do think fouls might be an option. Not sure about 3pt%.

Most leagues are new drafts with 0 keepers, so you wouldn't create a dynasty league for new keepers. It is just a new league with a draft...we have done them on the Suns forum for years. We have had a premier league and a G league and the top 3 teams in the G league move up and the bottom 3 in premier move down. I joined about 5 years ago and moved up from G league to premier my first year and then moved back down...premier was super competitive...people do tons of research. Then I moved back up and somehow this year I won.

You can see our leagues here and you can even look back at the draft threads. We do them on the forums for fun....everyone makes their picks in the thread...one year one guy had no clue what was going on and it might have been the funniest thread I have ever read....if you want a laugh I could point you to that if I could find it.

Anyway, here is where discussion, the drafts, etc, for our last 3 leagues were... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1753094#p68952635

Thx bruh. Feel kinda bad that we hijacked this thread, lol.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Interesting that people think they can apply a rule retroactively. That's not pretty cool tbh.

Return to Fantasy Football