Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018

Moderator: THE J0KER

AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,477

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#21 » by AussieCeltic » Tue Jul 3, 2018 11:51 am

fendilim wrote:But why of all people that they can trip, it was specifically Kickert who is known for his anger issues in Australia?

Also, this isnt the first game for the Philippines, they’ve also played against different countries as well, but nothing of this incident. It was only during the time merger of Oceania with Fiba asia that this happened.

Perhaps there have been racial issues, we will never know. But the Philippines have never had any problems with other Asian countries.

I mean, there are 2 sides to a coin. You can choose whatever you believe. Everyone will try to be innocent and say they didnt start it. Obviously what happened in the end was disgraceful etc, but whatever lead to that incident only those inside the court will know. Because no one will admit it, knowing the magnitude this has escalated into and what FIBA will hand down to them.

Obviously the action by the Philippine team should not be tolerated neither was Australia’s. If Australians are trying to be the victim here, then how do you explain the elbow to Pogoy’s face that started the scuffle. There are some Australians at fault and neither have that player apologized for it. Obviously there was an elbow by Pogoy to his defender after the possession stopped, but if the Australians were the good guys here, then shouldnt he have pacified it? Instead he threw an elbow to the face which really escalated the incident.

The tripping incident was already ironed out, team captains were already called by the referees to midcourt to settle their differences before the game.

No one is saying Australia is the good guys. The Australian media has said that Kickert went too far with his reaction but there is a huge difference between that and your whole team (including coaches, bench players & officials) ganging up on defenseless guys who did nothing (Goulding/Sobey). It’s downright criminal watch 8+ guys throw chairs, punch and strangle a player who did nothing wrong.

Kickert deserves 6-8 game suspension. Maker maybe 1-2 (although he was only defending Goulding/Sobey and threw no punches). Thon Maker has apologized for his part in this and the rest of media conferences tomorrow morning.

But the whole Philippine team deserves to be banned from the World Cup and from playing for at a minimum 1 year. Your coach & in particular the assistant who was punching Goulding deserve lifetime bans. Your coach has already been caught out in the timeout saying to put the Australians “on their asses” and also caught out lying.

In Australia, if one of our players does something wrong, we let them know about it. Three of our cricket players were caught “ball tampering” recently. This has happened to South African, England, Pakistan and Indian players and they only received a maximum 2 game ban. Our own governing body gave our players a one year ban. So we’re not afraid to punish our guys when warranted but the PBA is backing their players which is absolutely appalling. I expect harsh penalties from FIBA on the Philippines
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Babylove
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#22 » by Babylove » Tue Jul 3, 2018 12:57 pm

So firstly Kickert is an idiot and deserves a harsh penalty for the retaliation that started that and I doubt you’ll find an Aussie who’d dispute that he deserves to get a lengthy suspension for that flying elbow. Maker should get a ban too because whilst I appreciate he was trying to defend his team mates he was quite dangerous.

But the Phillipines team as a whole was disgraceful. Every single official and spectator that stepped onto the court except Luc Longley who only entered the fray to protect Chris Goulding should be banned for life because they had absolutely no business being there. And the official or fan that was photographed belting Sobey should face criminal charges. The players too should be facing lengthy bans for their conduct in this as well.

And there should be serious reconsideration as to whether the Phillipines is a suitable host for he 2023 FIBA World Cup as clearly there would have to be some doubt as to whether they could ensure the safety of players from other nations.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#23 » by fendilim » Tue Jul 3, 2018 1:18 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:
fendilim wrote:But why of all people that they can trip, it was specifically Kickert who is known for his anger issues in Australia?

Also, this isnt the first game for the Philippines, they’ve also played against different countries as well, but nothing of this incident. It was only during the time merger of Oceania with Fiba asia that this happened.

Perhaps there have been racial issues, we will never know. But the Philippines have never had any problems with other Asian countries.

I mean, there are 2 sides to a coin. You can choose whatever you believe. Everyone will try to be innocent and say they didnt start it. Obviously what happened in the end was disgraceful etc, but whatever lead to that incident only those inside the court will know. Because no one will admit it, knowing the magnitude this has escalated into and what FIBA will hand down to them.

Obviously the action by the Philippine team should not be tolerated neither was Australia’s. If Australians are trying to be the victim here, then how do you explain the elbow to Pogoy’s face that started the scuffle. There are some Australians at fault and neither have that player apologized for it. Obviously there was an elbow by Pogoy to his defender after the possession stopped, but if the Australians were the good guys here, then shouldnt he have pacified it? Instead he threw an elbow to the face which really escalated the incident.

The tripping incident was already ironed out, team captains were already called by the referees to midcourt to settle their differences before the game.

No one is saying Australia is the good guys. The Australian media has said that Kickert went too far with his reaction but there is a huge difference between that and your whole team (including coaches, bench players & officials) ganging up on defenseless guys who did nothing (Goulding/Sobey). It’s downright criminal watch 8+ guys throw chairs, punch and strangle a player who did nothing wrong.

Kickert deserves 6-8 game suspension. Maker maybe 1-2 (although he was only defending Goulding/Sobey and threw no punches). Thon Maker has apologized for his part in this and the rest of media conferences tomorrow morning.

But the whole Philippine team deserves to be banned from the World Cup and from playing for at a minimum 1 year. Your coach & in particular the assistant who was punching Goulding deserve lifetime bans. Your coach has already been caught out in the timeout saying to put the Australians “on their asses” and also caught out lying.

In Australia, if one of our players does something wrong, we let them know about it. Three of our cricket players were caught “ball tampering” recently. This has happened to South African, England, Pakistan and Indian players and they only received a maximum 2 game ban. Our own governing body gave our players a one year ban. So we’re not afraid to punish our guys when warranted but the PBA is backing their players which is absolutely appalling. I expect harsh penalties from FIBA on the Philippines
I wouldn't be surprised about the sanctions the Philippines will face when FIBA hands down its decisions. No doubt what they did was disgraceful, and obviously the country has not shown any evidence that it can prevent any brawl etc. I don't think anyone is denying that, even some of the players involved have apologized for the incident.

As for the PBA backing its players, the PBA has kept mum just like the NBL. The governing body of the SBP, no less than its President has actually apologized for the incident https://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/gilas-pilipinas/206398-samahang-basketbol-pilipinas-statement-fiba-brawl-philippines-australia , he even addressed the incident, before the referees came back from the dugouts 1:23:20
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#24 » by Laker_Kid » Tue Jul 3, 2018 2:27 pm

https://www.facebook.com/FOXBasketball/videos/2228808927159219/

not sure if you can view this but it's apparently made public
fendilim
RealGM

Post#25 » by fendilim » Tue Jul 3, 2018 5:11 pm

Laker_Kid wrote:https://www.facebook.com/FOXBasketball/videos/2228808927159219/

Yes, apparently that was only the third incident.

And like I said, how come of all people, it was Kickert that was in the middle of the scuffle who is also notoriously famous in Australia for his cheapshots?

Not making an excuse for the Philippines, but I believe as someone who wasnt even part of the Pogoy-Goulding incident, the Philippines also deserves an apology from Kickert himself who honestly, should have just pacified the two, instead he tried to decapitate Pogoy.
Babylove
Ballboy

Post#26 » by Babylove » Tue Jul 3, 2018 8:50 pm

fendilim wrote:

And like I said, how come of all people, it was Kickert that was in the middle of the scuffle who is also notoriously famous in Australia for his cheapshots?

Not making an excuse for the Philippines, but I believe as someone who wasnt even part of the Pogoy-Goulding incident, the Philippines also deserves an apology from Kickert himself who honestly, should have just pacified the two, instead he tried to decapitate Pogoy.

No one in Australia is defending Kickert’s elbow that started it. He’ll cop his whack for it from FIBA (and likely Australian Basketball as well) and he should. As far as the footage shown if the other alleged 3 incidents are like that one then clearly the Philippines team were trying to provoke a response from Kickert which they got and had we not had the brawl later I doubt we would have heard much more about it.

But that in no way excuses or justifies the Filipino’s actions after the elbow. I’m sure that at some stage Kickert will issue an apology as Maker has already done. But I have yet to hear of a single player, coach or official from the Filipino team that involved themselves in that brawl issue an apology for their conduct which we are lucky did not cause serious injury or even a fatality, particularly Goulding and Sobey who seemed to be the main targets of the most cowardly of the behaviour seen in that brawl.
Sphynx
Sophomore
And1: 189

Post#27 » by Sphynx » Tue Jul 3, 2018 10:09 pm

This is the piece of **** in the photo and video's that king hit the defenseless Sobey while he was being held by the security guard.

Turns out he is a player in the squad that wasn't playing.

I hope he enjoy's his life ban from basketball, his career is effectively over. He's lucky in some ways, he'd be in jail if he did it in an Australian match.

Read on Twitter
bartunik
Freshman
And1: 108

Post#28 » by bartunik » Tue Jul 3, 2018 11:04 pm

this is really quite sad, I don't know if filipinos are known keyboard warriors or what...but look at some of the comments on this video...

Truly shocking. These guys need a huge dose of self awareness
Babylove
Ballboy

Post#29 » by Babylove » Wed Jul 4, 2018 12:53 am

dodongo
Senior
And1: 400

Post#30 » by dodongo » Wed Jul 4, 2018 1:53 am

bartunik wrote:this is really quite sad, I don't know if filipinos are known keyboard warriors or what...but look at some of the comments on this video...

This is how things are here since Duterte took office. He has empowered thugs and idiots, and now stupidity and violence run rampant here in the Philippines...such an embarrassment.
Hobo4President
Analyst
And1: 3,184

Post#31 » by Hobo4President » Wed Jul 4, 2018 4:21 am

No idea, I've seen the video though.

fendilim wrote:Also, this isnt the first game for the Philippines, they’ve also played against different countries as well, but nothing of this incident. It was only during the time merger of Oceania with Fiba asia that this happened.

The difference is that Kickert was the only one who did that, it wasn't the Australian team, it wasn't the Australian coaches, it wasn't the Australian fans and no one tried to justify it by saying "They removed a sticker!"

What Kickert did was wrong and deserves punishment, what the Filipino team did was way worse and deserves some serious sanctions from FIBA against their national side. Start by revoking their rights to host the 2023 world cup. Also give a lifetime ban to the bench guy who punched Sobey and the coaching staff who joined the fight.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#32 » by fendilim » Wed Jul 4, 2018 6:42 am

Hobo4President wrote:

No idea, I've seen the video though.

fendilim wrote:Also, this isnt the first game for the Philippines, they’ve also played against different countries as well, but nothing of this incident. It was only during the time merger of Oceania with Fiba asia that this happened.

The difference is that Kickert was the only one who did that, it wasn't the Australian team, it wasn't the Australian coaches, it wasn't the Australian fans and no one tried to justify it by saying "They removed a sticker!"

What Kickert did was wrong and deserves punishment, what the Filipino team did was way worse and deserves some serious sanctions from FIBA against their national side. Start by revoking their rights to host the 2023 world cup. Also give a lifetime ban to the bench guy who punched Sobey and the coaching staff who joined the fight.

yeah. i honestly wont be surprised if the hosting is taken away from them. but everyone involved should be handed down a hefty fine. should the fans who joined rot in jail, firing squad, incarcerated, burned alive, sure, if they deserve it.

wonder how the nba will treat it for thon if he was suspended for like one year or something. i think the nba is a fiba sanctioned event, if im not mistaken.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#33 » by fendilim » Wed Jul 4, 2018 6:45 am

Babylove wrote:
fendilim wrote:

No one in Australia is defending Kickert’s elbow that started it. He’ll cop his whack for it from FIBA (and likely Australian Basketball as well) and he should. As far as the footage shown if the other alleged 3 incidents are like that one then clearly the Philippines team were trying to provoke a response from Kickert which they got and had we not had the brawl later I doubt we would have heard much more about it.

But that in no way excuses or justifies the Filipino’s actions after the elbow. I’m sure that at some stage Kickert will issue an apology as Maker has already done. But I have yet to hear of a single player, coach or official from the Filipino team that involved themselves in that brawl issue an apology for their conduct which we are lucky did not cause serious injury or even a fatality, particularly Goulding and Sobey who seemed to be the main targets of the most cowardly of the behaviour seen in that brawl.
there have actually been apologies, as early as thenext day after the incident, issued by some of the philippine players imvolved even the assistant coach.
AussieCeltic
RealGM

Post#34 » by AussieCeltic » Wed Jul 4, 2018 9:35 am

Turns out the Boomers has a 2 hour window to train.

When they arrived, one of the rings was 6-7 inches too high and the decals were slippery. They mentioned this to staff but everyone disappeared hence why they ripped up the decals. They ended up training on one ring.

The plot thickens
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,094

Post#35 » by The Moose » Wed Jul 4, 2018 9:37 am

The players who were attacking Goulding, and the Phillipines coaching staff deserve lifetime bans from international basketball imo.
That behaviour is just completely unacceptable, dangerous and criminal.
Kickert should be suspended for a long time as well, perhaps a length ban.
The only Australian player in the wrong is Kickert, meanwhile just about the entire Phillipines team, coaching staff and officials are guilty save a few players.

Also, the Phillipines coach is a lying scumbag trying to shift the blame off himself.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#36 » by Jams60 » Wed Jul 4, 2018 10:33 am

I notice there has been a lot of talk about Thon Makers actions and how even the NBA should take action against him. A load of bull as far as I can see. Of all the Australian players here should be the one most lauded. He threw himself into the throng of Filipino players and knocked them over like nine pins to allow another Aussie to escape.
He then copped a cheap shot from behind to the back of the head and chased after the coward who hit him.
Should be given a medal.
AussieCeltic
RealGM

Post#37 » by AussieCeltic » Wed Jul 4, 2018 12:09 pm

Jams60 wrote:I notice there has been a lot of talk about Thon Makers actions and how even the NBA should take action against him. A load of bull as far as I can see. Of all the Australian players here should be the one most lauded. He threw himself into the throng of Filipino players and knocked them over like nine pins to allow another Aussie to escape.
He then copped a cheap shot from behind to the back of the head and chased after the coward who hit him.
Should be given a medal.

Agreed. He also did so without throwing a punch
fendilim
RealGM

Post#38 » by fendilim » Wed Jul 4, 2018 2:12 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:Turns out the Boomers has a 2 hour window to train.

When they arrived, one of the rings was 6-7 inches too high and the decals were slippery. They mentioned this to staff but everyone disappeared hence why they ripped up the decals. They ended up training on one ring.

The plot thickens

Apparently this was ordered to be fixed prior the Australia team enters shootaround.

anyway,

Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#39 » by Reflexx » Wed Jul 4, 2018 8:00 pm

The memes have been funny though. Especially the ones about Pacquiao joining the team or Freddie Roach being coach. LoL

But yeah... The Philippines does need at least a 1 yr ban from FIBA competition. The coach needs a lifetime ban. The Philippines need to lose its championship hosting priveledges for a decade.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 630

Post#40 » by Pipp33 » Wed Jul 4, 2018 10:28 pm

bartunik wrote:this is really quite sad, I don't know if filipinos are known keyboard warriors or what...but look at some of the comments on this video...

Honestly, this coach is an absolute ****. Yes, Kickert did push someone, after they tried to trip him!! The coach incited his players during a time out to hit someone and put them on the floor, then subs in a known thug, Pongo, who takes several shots at Goulding. Then Kickert steps in, trying to stick up for his team mate, and does the WRONG thing and will be punished for it. The rest of the drama is ALL of the Fillipino players and officials. Trying to defend this fight, but talking about floor stickers being removed and alleging there were racial taunts (bullsh*t) is jst farcical. BAN this coach from all professional sport
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team

Return to International Basketball