RealGM Wolves Capology

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Re: RealGM Wolves Capology 

Post#21 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 3, 2018 5:38 am

Domejandro wrote:I figured it out, the increase of the salary-cap by $869,000 bumped Andrew Wiggins' starting salary slightly upwards.

Read on Twitter

That's definitely part of it. My math still doesn't quite line up (I've got us $78,784 below the tax line), but I'm not dealing with official numbers either like he is.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#22 » by NebWolvesFan » Tue Jul 3, 2018 2:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I figured it out, the increase of the salary-cap by $869,000 bumped Andrew Wiggins' starting salary slightly upwards.

Read on Twitter

That's definitely part of it. My math still doesn't quite line up (I've got us $78,784 below the tax line), but I'm not dealing with official numbers either like he is.

Great work Klomp. I think Minnesota only signs one more vet min guy and then either an UNFA or a guy with one year's service (Amile, Andrew White) or a foreign guy with no NBA experience, such a Spurs did with Brandon Paul (Berkhoff comes to mind). I don't think they get two vet mid guys at the 1.5 number.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,294

Post#23 » by younggunsmn » Wed Jul 4, 2018 2:01 am

I expect them to stretch cole and sign maybe one more vet min guy and a couple 2-way contracts.

That would leave them about 3 mil below the lux as a cushion for calling up 2-way players or using 10 day, and a possible vet min buyout candidate after the trade deadline. Not a lot to work with

I dont see us filling all 15 roster spots (prob not even 14), which makes d-leaguing KBD or Patton less likely.
samyell
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#24 » by samyell » Fri Jul 6, 2018 8:04 pm

I was reading somewhere that stretching cole's contract could potentially hurt us next year in regards to re-signing jimmy. also im seeing on spotrac that we still owe Shabazz money this year. just wondering if anyone has the numbers for the bazz buyout.
Samyell 4ever
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 6, 2018 9:22 pm

samyell wrote:I was reading somewhere that stretching cole's contract could potentially hurt us next year in regards to re-signing jimmy. also im seeing on spotrac that we still owe Shabazz money this year. just wondering if anyone has the numbers for the bazz buyout.

Sure, Cole stretched would be on the cap next year. I don't see it being a hindrance though. We don't have to get under the cap to give him a new deal next summer. Haven't seen anything about Bazz being on the books this season.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#26 » by minimus » Fri Jul 6, 2018 10:21 pm

Still don't understand why we offered Tolliver this contract to be hard capped. Bjelica took less. It seems like Thibs a bit overpaid and rushed things... Dieng, Wiggins, Gibson, Teague, Aldrich contracts are not bargain. All these contracts are overpaid. Maybe Tolliver will earn every cent of his contract.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 7, 2018 12:02 am

minimus wrote:Still don't understand why we offered Tolliver this contract to be hard capped. Bjelica took less. It seems like overpaying Thibs a bit overpaid and rushed things... Dieng, Wiggins, Gibson, Teague, Aldrich contracts are not bargain. All these contracts are overpaid. Maybe Tolliver will every cent of his contract.

Because sometimes in order to get the guy you want, you have to outbid other teams. If you try to take the cheap way out, you probably won't get the guy you want.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 7, 2018 8:31 pm

It appears Cole Aldrich has been stretched. Has a $685,341 cap hit this season and $685,340 hit each of the next two seasons, according to Eric Pincus.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 7, 2018 9:09 pm

Read on Twitter

The contract might still be for minimum money (hopefully we'll know soon), but by adding a third year it means the money comes out of the mid-level exception and not as a minimum player salary exception. It really doesn't change much as far as the effect on the cap, unless we went higher than the rookie minimum. As already noted in another thread, if he plays the full three years, Minnesota would have full Bird rights when he becomes a free agent.

jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#30 » by jschligs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Question for y'all. If you sign KAT to the max extension, what's your cap space looking like for next year? I tried looking myself but I'm not the best at capology :)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 pm

jschligs wrote:Question for y'all. If you sign KAT to the max extension, what's your cap space looking like for next year? I tried looking myself but I'm not the best at capology :)

Too much up in the air to answer that question for certain, with two guys with player options and two up for extensions or headed for RFA status and about $23 million possibly coming off the books.

Cap space is unlikely, though.

Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,751

Post#32 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:49 pm

Its not the likely scenario but if we packaged Dieng with a Lottery Protected FRP and Teague opts out to sign with another team for more long-term guaranteed money, the Wolves would be at $73M for next year with a Salary Cap of $109M. That would theoretically give us enough cap space to sign a Max player. There will be a lot of teams with money under the cap next summer but who would you guys/gals target in FA if this scenario played out?
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Oh man, I need to update this.....

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,674

Post#34 » by Domejandro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:13 pm

I have been looking at the numbers here, which has led to me feeling more and more concerned that offloading either Dieng or Teague in the off-season is going to be 100% necessary to staying under the Luxury-Tax, should we retain any of our decent impending free-agents.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,966

Post#35 » by shrink » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:49 am

Domejandro wrote:I have been looking at the numbers here, which has led to me feeling more and more concerned that offloading either Dieng or Teague in the off-season is going to be 100% necessary to staying under the Luxury-Tax, should we retain any of our decent impending free-agents.

Can you put numbers to this?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 834

Post#36 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I’d bring rose back on a Two year deal worth between 6-8 per
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#37 » by packforfreedom » Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 am

Without getting rid of Dieng or Teague we only have the MLE and the biannual exception to spend. whether it's extending Rose or sign other FA. Problem is that using both the MLE and the BAE will bring us awfully close or into the luxury tax (don't want to calculate now). This is really cap hell, especially if we consider that if we don't retain Tyus but extend Rose we'd really be lacking rotation players without having the money to sign any let alone significantly improve the team.

Hope Rosas knows what he's doing. Keeping KAT happy needs to be goal #1 this season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Klomp » Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 pm

packforfreedom wrote:Without getting rid of Dieng or Teague we only have the MLE and the biannual exception to spend. whether it's extending Rose or sign other FA. Problem is that using both the MLE and the BAE will bring us awfully close or into the luxury tax (don't want to calculate now). This is really cap hell, especially if we consider that if we don't retain Tyus but extend Rose we'd really be lacking rotation player without having the money to sign any let alone significantly improve the team.

Hope Rosas knows what he's doing. Keeping KAT happy needs to be goal #1 this season.

Even with getting rid of one of them, we probably wouldn't have much more than that.

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#39 » by SO_MONEY » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:22 pm

packforfreedom wrote:Without getting rid of Dieng or Teague we only have the MLE and the biannual exception to spend. whether it's extending Rose or sign other FA. Problem is that using both the MLE and the BAE will bring us awfully close or into the luxury tax (don't want to calculate now). This is really cap hell, especially if we consider that if we don't retain Tyus but extend Rose we'd really be lacking rotation players without having the money to sign any let alone significantly improve the team.

Meh. Tyus.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#40 » by Killboard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Hope this is close to true. Made 2 scenarios here: one where we keep Teague and other where we trade him for Russell (Im counting on Russell S&T here, extending for the max amount of money the wolves can match in a trade for Teague only (likely to a third team), which is 24M (This could change if other fillers are included).

In both scenarios, Im including both Deng and Tolliver as I think are great guys to take back for Vet mins if they want. If they dont, then sign 2 min non-vet guys as Reynolds and Creek would add almost 2M.

In the 1st scenario 14.7M would be open for Tyus and the MLE (we are very light on guards).
In the 2nd scenario, the available money would go down to 9.7 for Tyus and the MLE.
Both numbers could go even lower if we want to sign a 15th player.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves