ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

ShawnBronald
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Booker Discussion, news and highlights 

Post#1 » by ShawnBronald » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:17 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
timetoshinebaby
Junior
And1: 309

Re: Booker OFFICIALLY Signs Extension with Suns 

Post#2 » by timetoshinebaby » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:32 am

God bless Booker.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,098

Post#3 » by spanishninja » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:36 am

with all that money I'm sure he can hire Ulis to be in his entourage.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#4 » by 8on » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:07 am

this, for the first time in a long time, was Sarver

the very best thing about McD is that he makes Sarver spend money
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,189

Post#5 » by King4Day » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:39 am

Now the big question.
Were there any options in the deal or is it a flat 5 year deal?
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: RE: Re: Booker OFFICIALLY Signs Extension with Suns 

Post#6 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:57 am

DarkHawk wrote:Now the big question.
It doesn't appear there are any options either way.

Read on Twitter

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,051

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 7:11 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Read on Twitter

Big loss of cap space.....first round pick will probably at a minimum be a $5 million cap hold, so that reduces cap space to $16 but stretch Knight and can get to $27+. Then of course we could decline Bender or Chriss or trade people...though it's unlikely we will create cap space through trade.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#8 » by cberry78 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 12:30 pm

My favorite Booker signing tweet
Read on Twitter
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,636

Post#9 » by Saberestar » Sun Jul 8, 2018 1:18 pm

Read on Twitter
STEV13
Suns Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 853

Post#10 » by STEV13 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 1:19 pm

Read on Twitter

:D
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,894

Post#11 » by Damkac » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:32 pm

How about closing the old Booker thread that has over 100 pages and continue talks in this one?
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#12 » by kennydorglas » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:40 pm

Straight 5 years, no player option.
Great deal by McD.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,642

Post#13 » by Phystic » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:22 pm

Would have been nice if we could have waited until next summer to utilize the space before resigning him.

Now just gotta hope he keeps working and stays healthy
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#14 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:44 pm

Phystic wrote:Would have been nice if we could have waited until next summer to utilize the space before resigning him.

I'm so happy that waiting debate is done. It was never happening. You simply can not ask Booker to risk $150m for even the slight chance that he sustains a career ending or altering injury. That's generational money. Even for the suns it would have been a risk because if Booker got disgruntled this year he could have went and got a short offer sheet and started his exit strategy. It was the right thing to do for both sides.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,642

Post#15 » by Phystic » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:55 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Phystic wrote:Would have been nice if we could have waited until next summer to utilize the space before resigning him.

I'm so happy that waiting debate is done. It was never happening. You simply can not ask Booker to risk $150m for even the slight chance that he sustains a career ending or altering injury. That's generational money. Even for the suns it would have been a risk because if Booker got disgruntled this year he could have went and got a short offer sheet and started his exit strategy. It was the right thing to do for both sides.

Disagree. Max contract off rookie contracts are just about never at risk. The player always takes them. And it would benefit Booker as well
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:51 pm

Phystic wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Disagree. Max contract off rookie contracts are just about never at risk. The player always takes them. And it would benefit Booker as well

Booker takes the most risk in waiting and I'm sure his agent and him were pushing for this to be done. While the risk of a career ending injury is low it is there and you just can't take that chance. It's not only injury he's risking. Look at Andrew Wiggins, he signed his max extension then had a mediocre year had he waited I don't think he's getting all that money this summer. Booker was right to look out for himself.

Now basing it off the fact that Booker wanted the extension then there is risk for the Suns to not give it to him this summer; that could have caused bad blood that plays out years down the line even if he did take the extension next summer.

It's easy to say to wait when it's not your money that you're gambling with.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#17 » by LukasBMW » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:56 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

+100

Look what happened to Cousins. He lost $100 mil due to back luck
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#18 » by LukasBMW » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:10 pm

Glad we got this done. I was a bit worried as I already sensed a change in Booker. We had to lock him up.

$160 million guaranteed IS a RISK on a player who has never even made an allstar team or ALL NBA. But I think as long as Booker stays healthy, he has the motivation and drive to keep working. I don't see much complacency in him. The big thing for him will be to stay healthy.

The cap space loss hurts, but it also extends our timeline. If we are awful for two more seasons, Booker can't force his way out.

Ayton may take time to develop. AD was pretty underwhelming in his first season. It wasn't really until year 2/3 that he took off.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that we only have Booker and TJ locked in to long term deals. Everyone else worth keeping is on the rookie scale and we have total control. Well done Ryan.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#19 » by wco81 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Read on Twitter

Big loss of cap space.....first round pick will probably at a minimum be a $5 million cap hold, so that reduces cap space to $16 but stretch Knight and can get to $27+. Then of course we could decline Bender or Chriss or trade people...though it's unlikely we will create cap space through trade.

Booker's extension doesn't kick in until 2019-2020 season?

According to this, the Suns have team options for Bender and Chriss that season:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/yearly/cap/

It would be tough to let Bender and Chriss go without anything in return, since they were lottery picks. They don't have to worry about Jackson until 2021-2022 and Ayton the year after.

Will the owner pay to keep some of these lottery picks, especially Jackson and Ayton? It sounds like he doesn't have the deep pockets as some other owners.

Are the Suns at least drawing well or are they going to have to contend for the playoffs to sell tickets?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,051

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:47 pm

wco81 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:It doesn't appear there are any options either way.

Read on Twitter

Booker's extension doesn't kick in until 2019-2020 season?

According to this, the Suns have team options for Bender and Chriss that season:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/yearly/cap/

It would be tough to let Bender and Chriss go without anything in return, since they were lottery picks. They don't have to worry about Jackson until 2021-2022 and Ayton the year after.

Will the owner pay to keep some of these lottery picks, especially Jackson and Ayton? It sounds like he doesn't have the deep pockets as some other owners.

Are the Suns at least drawing well or are they going to have to contend for the playoffs to sell tickets?

Well there were more people at the Ayton draft party at the arena than games, and I read they have sold 3x as many season tickets this year, so I think they will probably start filling the arena more.

Chriss and Bender will probably not get paid much, if at all. Dudley/Chandler/Ariza expire next year. Knight the next year. Not sure how much Jackson will get paid...he's been very inefficient and out of control so far...hopefully he improves. Ayton will definitely get paid. The only other contract they have long term in TJ Warren and it's reasonable imo.

Return to Phoenix Suns