The Bismack Biyombo Thread II

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

HornetsFan29
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Re: Woj - CLT finalizing Biz trade 

Post#741 » by HornetsFan29 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:10 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
KingCat wrote:Why did Orlando want to get rid of Biz so bad?

Because he is absolutely horrible. Im all for it with the 2nd rounders included, but Biyombo is just a bad basketball player.

no Orlando just sucks Biz played great with the Raps and I expect him to be good here aswell and I bet you Kemba is excited to have him back.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#742 » by stinger14 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:32 pm

brianmc wrote:what an embarrassment. why couldn't we just have kept DH? Or buy him out? Just to take on the lux tax? He would have meant nearly $24 million off the books next summer. How we have 2 years of Bismack at $34 million (I just threw up). I don't want to hear about second round picks. They're not that valuable.

We could trade Kemba at the deadline and make the other team take back Marvin or MKG's contract. We take back expiring deals only. Then we're moving in the direction of having flexibility. Now we have basically none until 2020. Being slightly mediocre every year isn't the path to assembling a good basketball team.

If the plan is to trade Kemba, then they better do it before the season starts. It would be foolish to do it at the deadline. Not only is his value higher right now, playing him half the season worsens our draft pick in 2019. The draft is currently considered to look weak, but there are a couple studs at the top of the draft.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#743 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:38 pm

Personally, I'm going to try to not over analyze this one. I didn't expect much if anything out of Mozgov ... and it Biz works out and is a positive contributor under Borrego then great! If not, then no big deal.

Mostly it just seems cool to have Biz back.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#744 » by MPM » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:47 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Good luck, guys. You probably got the best player involved in the trade.

Orlando has unfortunately been a **** show since 2012, and Frank Vogel was a complete FRAUD. The collective basketball IQ of our front office and coaches throughout these past few years doesn't break double digits.

Biz can be a beast when he's played correctly — see his series vs Cleveland. We kept feeding him the ball in the post and letting him create or shoot awkward midrange jumpers when he should be a rim runner exclusively.

His intensity and shot blocking were still there for us and I hope he does well back in Charlotte. Biz is a great guy that was loved by most of his teammates.

Thanks - happy to see you got someone other than DJ to rely on at point as well. As you know, DJ's gonna shoot, but not much else.

FYI - I'm a lifelong Hornets fan that has traveled to Orlando for years (moved here permanently a year ago) and have been to a lot of Magic games - can objectively second everything you say about the state of affairs there and how Biz was used (or not used). He often looked lost - like he was just freelancing out there. I hope you guys can turn it around - look forward to seeing a front line of Isaac, Gordon, Bamba this year. Scary defensively. If Gordon's 3-ball is for real and Isaac and Bamba can shoot them at a fair enough clip to help maintain spacing, should be fun. Kind of wanted to see you get I.T. as I figured this front line could clean up any of his defensive limitations.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#745 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:58 pm

MPM wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Good luck, guys. You probably got the best player involved in the trade.

Orlando has unfortunately been a **** show since 2012, and Frank Vogel was a complete FRAUD. The collective basketball IQ of our front office and coaches throughout these past few years doesn't break double digits.

Biz can be a beast when he's played correctly — see his series vs Cleveland. We kept feeding him the ball in the post and letting him create or shoot awkward midrange jumpers when he should be a rim runner exclusively.

His intensity and shot blocking were still there for us and I hope he does well back in Charlotte. Biz is a great guy that was loved by most of his teammates.

Thanks - happy to see you got someone other than DJ to rely on at point as well. As you know, DJ's gonna shoot, but not much else.

FYI - I'm a lifelong Hornets fan that has traveled to Orlando for years (moved here permanently a year ago) and have been to a lot of Magic games - can objectively second everything you say about the state of affairs there and how Biz was used (or not used). He often looked lost - like he was just freelancing out there. I hope you guys can turn it around - look forward to seeing a front line of Isaac, Gordon, Bamba this year. Scary defensively. If Gordon's 3-ball is for real and Isaac and Bamba can shoot them at a fair enough clip to help maintain spacing, should be fun. Kind of wanted to see you get I.T. as I figured this front line could clean up any of his defensive limitations.

Thanks man, I also see it exactly like you and I appreciate that Augustin can shoot the 3 but he has awful tunnel vision and dribbles the air out of the ball. I've been labeled a DJ hater for pointing it out though

I'm very excited for those 3 bigs but we need great shooters and creators at PG and SG, and our front office keeps prioritizing wingspan even at those positions, which is worrying.

Even a hurt IT is 3 times the player DJ is
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#746 » by amcoolio » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:15 pm

I don't know how the heck we coaxed 2 more 2nd rounders, but with Graham and Kulboka's play so far, bring them all on. We need that international stable and maybe we hit a gem.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#747 » by Eoghan » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:36 pm

Yeah I watched Orlando a bit because their rebuild was somewhat contemporaneous with Charlotte's, uh, re-treadmill-build, and it really struck me as a directionless organization. Vogel looked like a herder of ADHD cats and the FO seems to refuse to look at fit in regards to FAs and draft picks. It's too bad b/c there was a potentially interesting collection of young talent there at first.

Yeah, I think if all Biz does is set screens for Monk and go hog wild trying to clean up his misses that we could see a really productive Biz. He actually looked really good for Toronto playing with iso-guys in Lowry and DeRozen doing just that. I don't know about Orlando days but he was getting better at hitting wide open mid range jumpers as the absolute last resort on offense.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#748 » by Eoghan » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:41 pm

I'm also interested if the Cody whisperer Nic Batum can work any of that magic with Biz. BizNic Batumbo could be a thing, maybe a 20% chance.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#749 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:16 pm

I honestly don't remember if we let Biz go before we brought in Batum. I thought they played together a season?
bravor
Starter
And1: 731

Post#750 » by bravor » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:18 pm

Of course not. Batum started with Cody and AJ (then Hibbert/Hawes & co the 2nd season). And the Batum/Cody chemistry started to be obvious once AJ got his suspension.
I don't see how Batum could have the same relation with Biyombo (even though he speaks french, that might help) except if he has a reliable jumper at 4/5m (20ish feet?) from the rim since Batum never roll to the rim to finish his dribble drive.

Trading for Lopez (bulls) would have been much more interesting since he had great chemistry with him and you would have two decent centers at least for one season. And bulls are probably seller concerning Robin (even though they also might want to add Asik in the mix, but now it's like 2 expiring since only 3ish M are guaranteed on last year contract of the turkish).

But we will see. imo Kemba will be the main one to benefit from Biyombo since he will at last have one good screener to attack the rim. You would have T. Evans here and Biyombo coming from the bench, now that would be another story.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#751 » by LofJ » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:23 pm

Nic is going to love Biz both as a player and a person. Locker room chemistry is going to be a strength of the team again. That is a huge positive for our young coaching staff.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#752 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:26 pm

Wonder if we owe some of this to the Kings for their massive offer sheet to LaVine. Bulls now have about $39M committed to guards for the season - half to LaVine - and may be considering making a run at Jabari. So they decide to shop Grant to teams that can absorb him into space. Guessing there weren't any takers aside from Orlando, but they didn't have space. Enter Stone, whose unguaranteed deal is just as good. Just need to make sure every team in the trade "touches."

Chicago & Orlando: Grant to Magic
Charlotte & Chicago: Stone to Bulls

Just needed an Orlando-Charlotte connection, and the picks would've been enough. But I'm guessing we saw an opportunity to pick up a better-fitting piece for essentially the same liability.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Re: RE: Re: Woj - CLT finalizing Biz trade 

Post#753 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:27 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I honestly don't remember if we let Biz go before we brought in Batum. I thought they played together a season?
I kinda forgot he was ever a Hornet until I saw some pictures, thought he was just a Bobcat.

EDIT: That 2014 team looks hilarious in retrospect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#754 » by HornetJail » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:57 pm

oh my god i forgot about Maxiell
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#755 » by -Ian- » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:02 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:it really feels like I made stuff like this in some other life.

feels like this might mean that I'll watch more Horncats this year than last. also, will try to frequent the boards. a bit hyped about this homecoming.

Hell yeah!!! I kind of miss seeing you here. :D
LofJ
RealGM

Post#756 » by LofJ » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:08 pm

I remember well how pissed off all of us were that Clifford was DNP-CDing Biz to play Maxiell instead. We need to start Biz and gameplan around him when we play the Magic so he can get some good old fashioned payback.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#757 » by DY_nasty » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:58 pm

LofJ wrote:I remember well how pissed off all of us were that Clifford was DNP-CDing Biz to play Maxiell instead. We need to start Biz and gameplan around him when we play the Magic so he can get some good old fashioned payback.

biz had a great stretch when cody went down too

another thing that pisses me off is that biz never played off of al jefferson :roll: that's how i knew the hate was real

biyombo even catches the ball now. he'll be running for mayor in no time :lol:
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 824

Post#758 » by KingCat » Sun Jul 8, 2018 7:24 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
KingCat wrote:Why did Orlando want to get rid of Biz so bad?

Because he is absolutely horrible. Im all for it with the 2nd rounders included, but Biyombo is just a bad basketball player.

Yeah not sure why so many people are pumped about this. The man was a turnover and offensive foul machine from what I recall. Hope he doesn’t crack rotation
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#759 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jul 8, 2018 7:28 pm

I'd rather have Biz than Mozgov, but I also don't think he is or should be in the rotation.
LofJ
RealGM

Re: The Bismack Biyombo Thread II 

Post#760 » by LofJ » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:57 pm

He got paid and now he has returned to Charlotte. Glad to have you back Bismack.

Return to Charlotte Hornets