Kyle Anderson signed to an offer sheet

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Kyle Anderson signed to an offer sheet 

Post#1 » by boogiesdad » Sat Jul 7, 2018 2:19 am

Restricted free-agent forward Kyle Anderson has signed a four-year, $37.2 million offer sheet with the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources told ESPN.

The San Antonio Spurs have 48 hours to match the offer, which includes a 15 percent trade kicker, league sources said. The Grizzlies used their full midlevel exception on the Anderson, 24, was a primary target of the Grizzlies, who've been determined to upgrade the small forward position. Anderson has had an outstanding plus-minus on defense the past two years.

The Grizzlies consider the offer sheet to Anderson an investment in the franchise's stated goal of recapturing the "Grit and Grind" culture under new coach J.B. Bickerstaff.

Anderson averaged 7.9 points and 5.4 rebounds in 26.7 minutes per game for the Spurs last season. He is expected to shoulder a larger role for the Spurs, especially if Kawhi Leonard is traded this offseason. The Spurs have been positive about retaining him.

The Spurs drafted Anderson with the 30th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, after he left UCLA following his freshman season
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Kyle Anderson signed to an offer sheet 

Post#2 » by boogiesdad » Sat Jul 7, 2018 2:20 am

This move is dumb founding as we needed an SG, and we’re loading up on SF.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 7, 2018 2:36 am

boogiesdad wrote:This move is dumb founding as we needed an SG, and we’re loading up on SF.

I don't understand this move as well. Anderson has been mediocre to some extent. However, he is not the player I had in mind as the Grizzlies need to address the SG and perhaps the backup center position. Maybe they are fine with Marshon Brooks as the SG for now as is with Wayne Seldon as well. :-?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jul 7, 2018 9:48 pm

boogiesdad wrote:This move is dumb founding as we needed an SG, and we’re loading up on SF.

I don't think that is the case. I think the FO sees Brooks as a SG plus we have Seldon there. (We also have MarShon Brooks and Harrison at SG)

At SF we have Parsons who can't stay healthy and Casspi who is maybe a stretch 4 as much as he is a 3. D Brooks will also log minutes here but again I think he will transition to SG before too long. I think our lineup will be Conley/Brooks/Anderson/JJJ/Gasol next year tbh with maybe Green getting some starts over JJJ at times.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:14 pm

Sounds as if we're unlikely to match, FWIW, which I'm not happy about, but that's without knowing what else we have in the pipeline. Still, it would be nice to retain players we develop...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:31 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Sounds as if we're unlikely to match, FWIW, which I'm not happy about, but that's without knowing what else we have in the pipeline. Still, it would be nice to retain players we develop...

I'm surprised you guys didn't since he'd be important to have if Leonard is traded (though you're likely to get a SF back). The contract is decent. Long in years but probably about right on a per year basis. Hopefully it is a value contract in a couple years.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:40 am

VCfor3 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Sounds as if we're unlikely to match, FWIW, which I'm not happy about, but that's without knowing what else we have in the pipeline. Still, it would be nice to retain players we develop...

I'm surprised you guys didn't since he'd be important to have if Leonard is traded (though you're likely to get a SF back). The contract is decent. Long in years but probably about right on a per year basis. Hopefully it is a value contract in a couple years.

Read on Twitter

I'd heard we were wanting to retain him for around $5M/yr, so this was trickier for us. Your point about getting someone back potentially in a trade is solid, as it'll be hard otherwise to replace someone with his corporate knowledge and fit right in. He was a stalwart for the Spurs, especially with all of the injuries last year. Quirky game that throws opponents off. Great, sneaky quick and solid on D. Even without matching we're $12.5M over the cap, so I think it was both the annual and the length. I trust that PATFO has alternate options in place, but I'll miss him. Treat him well, Grizz fans :)
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#8 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:11 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I'd heard we were wanting to retain him for around $5M/yr, so this was trickier for us. Your point about getting someone back potentially in a trade is solid, as it'll be hard otherwise to replace someone with his corporate knowledge and fit right in. He was a stalwart for the Spurs, especially with all of the injuries last year. Quirky game that throws opponents off. Great, sneaky quick and solid on D. Even without matching we're $12.5M over the cap, so I think it was both the annual and the length. I trust that PATFO has alternate options in place, but I'll miss him. Treat him well, Grizz fans :)

I'll be honest, I thought the Spurs would match the offer. KA wasn't a player I had on my radar to be a Grizzly. Let alone for the amount he receive from the offer. Anyways, I hope he continues to improve his game like he did from the last season. I don't know what type of numbers KA will produce on offense. I do know defensively he will be reliable at the SF position. Hopefully, this move will pay off for the next four years.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#9 » by bobobolas10 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 am

It feels like we have 20 players on the roster now. :lol: :lol:
"Take that for Data!"
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,550

Post#10 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:10 pm

I LOVED this sign for us! I have been following KA since he was supposed to be a 6'9 PG. Does a lot of small things that leads to a win. Finally our FO seems to have a direction to follow
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#11 » by dark-child » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 pm

It seems offensively the Grizzlies will once again be a bit of an acquired taste and not aesthetically pleasing. Locally beloved and nationally bemoaned!
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by boogiesdad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm

It amazes that for years we have known that we need a 3 pt shooter to help spread the floor, and that is still the thing that we are missing.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#13 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:13 pm

dark-child wrote:It seems offensively the Grizzlies will once again be a bit of an acquired taste and not aesthetically pleasing. Locally beloved and nationally bemoaned!

Sad, but a true statement. Always must have a team that goes against the grain. That team is the Grizzlies.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:21 pm

boogiesdad wrote:It amazes that for years we have known that we need a 3 pt shooter to help spread the floor, and that is still the thing that we are missing.

In theory a lineup of Conley/Brooks/Anderson/JJJ/Gasol puts 4 players capable of shooting around Anderson. Gasol shoots well for a center, we will see what JJJ can do, and Brooks was ok from deep. Not amazing but decent.
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#15 » by bobobolas10 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 am

Do you think that might mean the end of Andrew Harrison's minutes? That would make me so happy...
"Take that for Data!"
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#16 » by dark-child » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:Do you think that might mean the end of Andrew Harrison's minutes? That would make me so happy...

Right now he is the backup Point Guard, which is fine as long as we don't need him to make a consistent outside shot, which is really difficult as this is the sport of BASKETBALL :banghead:
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#17 » by bobobolas10 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:01 am

dark-child wrote:
bobobolas10 wrote:Do you think that might mean the end of Andrew Harrison's minutes? That would make me so happy...

Right now he is the backup Point Guard, which is fine as long as we don't need him to make a consistent outside shot, which is really difficult as this is the sport of BASKETBALL :banghead:

Totally agree. Andrew Harrison is a decent bench player if he gets no playing time.
"Take that for Data!"
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#18 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:43 am

Hey Grizz fans :)

Pop held his first presser of this off-season and post-trade, and among the topics he addressed was Kyle. Starts at around 11:10. It's brief, but he had some kind, insightful, and positive things to say.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2018/07/18/2185370/1531944139004-pop-press-conference-71818-2185370
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to Memphis Grizzlies