ImageImage

The Bismack Biyombo Thread II

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Re: The Bismack Biyombo Thread II 

Post#781 » by HornetJail » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:26 am

i'm still trying to take in the fact that we couldn't field a roster with two NBA-caliber centers on it for so long, and now we have three actually good ones
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,168

Post#782 » by Rich4114 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 2:33 pm

Doesn’t it seem like this team has had at least one overpaid unproductive or counter productive in Dwight’s case, center on the roster since we gave Emeka Okafor that contract? It’s just been the one position we have consistently overpaid on for about a decade.

That said, I think we have guys that fit into the system JB plans to run. If Biz even plays, having him as a rim protector, screen setter and rebounder is all we can ask. Although we really need more skill on the floor across the board.

We at least have a guy who would play a role now as opposed to Mozgov who would just rot on the bench until Zeller inevitably gets his usual 2-3 month bone bruise injury.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#783 » by amcoolio » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:36 pm

I would say trade Frank to open up minutes but we need at least one center that can shoot 3's. Wonder if Zeller is the odd man out if he still can't shoot 3's this season.

I think Biz can be good in our system. Glad to have him back
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,402

Post#784 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:44 pm

I've been on vacation, so just catching up with the news. Scrolling through the board I saw Graham look like a steal, Miles looks okay, Monk killing it in SL, for some reason the Biz thread got inexplicably bumped....wait, Mitch turned Mozgov into Biz???? YES!

I know he's a limited player, but he's such a likable guy, great teammate and hard worker. Really glad to have him back on board, and he'll by at worst 2x as useful as Mozgov hypothetically would have been.

Great job Mitch!
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#785 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:46 pm

amcoolio wrote:I would say trade Frank to open up minutes but we need at least one center that can shoot 3's. Wonder if Zeller is the odd man out if he still can't shoot 3's this season.

I think Biz can be good in our system. Glad to have him back

Borrego sounds enamored with Cody, calling him the anchor of the defense. He said he also has the ability to stretch a little.

Kupchak said yesterday they didn't have anyone with Biyombo's skillset. We all know he's the best rim protector and rebounder of the bunch.

The overlap I see is between Frank and Hernangomez. Both have versatility on offense, both good passers. Frank is the better shooter and passer but Willy is the better rebounder. But then Biz is here if we need rebounds. Both Frank and Hernangomez are poor defenders. If one center is traded, I'd say it would be Frank or Hernangomez. With the cap situation and Frank being in a walk year, it might be Frank who goes. But they'd have to bring in a PF. Hernangomez is not ready to stretch.
It has been written...
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

Post#786 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:08 am

Watching Willy play defense is very embarrassing, biz is the backup right now.

Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#787 » by Snidely FC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:53 pm

recognition for Biz in Kenya to open sport & education facility, nice!
For DRC's Biyombo, who was traded back to the Hornets this offseason from the Orlando Magic, meeting Obama was a special moment, writing on Twitter: "Basketball has taken me places and given me the opportunity to meet people that I never thought I would meet."

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/24126988/barack-obama-nba-bismack-biyombo-open-court-kenya
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#788 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:23 am

JMAC3 wrote:Watching Willy play defense is very embarrassing, biz is the backup right now.

IDK.... if MKG is on the 2nd unit, that leaves two players that are devoid of offensive prowess w/ Biyombo bringing a similar strength/weakness skillset, so putting both of them out there simultaneously gives the Hornets only 3/5 players that can give us an offensive game. I'd prefer WHG over Biz, and let MKG play a small-ball 4 to help.

Wish there was a way to mesh WHG + Biyombo into a mega-center and we would have a starting-calibre 5 on our hands....lol.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#789 » by HornetJail » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Watching Willy play defense is very embarrassing, biz is the backup right now.

IDK.... if MKG is on the 2nd unit, that leaves two players that are devoid of offensive prowess w/ Biyombo bringing a similar strength/weakness skillset, so putting both of them out there simultaneously gives the Hornets only 3/5 players that can give us an offensive game. I'd prefer WHG over Biz, and let MKG play a small-ball 4 to help.

Wish there was a way to mesh WHG + Biyombo into a mega-center and we would have a starting-calibre 5 on our hands....lol.

I hope Borrego isn't putting our entire bench in at one time like Clifford, and decides to stagger the units so that we see a good mix of offensive and defensive players on the floor at all times. We have a lot of positional versatility on the wings between Batum, MKG, Lamb, Monk, Bridges, and even Bacon with all sorts of different skills. My dream scenario is one where Kemba is the only guy playing full starter minutes (32+) every single game, and we have no set rotation, but just play the guys that match up best to our opponents. On nights when we're up against a team like Boston and we need a lot of defensive switching to keep up with their 2-4 lineup of Hayward/Tatum/Brown, give MKG and Bridges extra minutes and cut out Frank/Monk. On nights when we have to face a bruising post guy like Drummond, Whiteside, or Cousins, play Biz more than CZ or Willy
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#790 » by Lwcasu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
Soul Rebel wrote:

I hope Borrego isn't putting our entire bench in at one time like Clifford, and decides to stagger the units so that we see a good mix of offensive and defensive players on the floor at all times. We have a lot of positional versatility on the wings between Batum, MKG, Lamb, Monk, Bridges, and even Bacon with all sorts of different skills. My dream scenario is one where Kemba is the only guy playing full starter minutes (32+) every single game, and we have no set rotation, but just play the guys that match up best to our opponents. On nights when we're up against a team like Boston and we need a lot of defensive switching to keep up with their 2-4 lineup of Hayward/Tatum/Brown, give MKG and Bridges extra minutes and cut out Frank/Monk. On nights when we have to face a bruising post guy like Drummond, Whiteside, or Cousins, play Biz more than CZ or Willy

I think we're set up for that. I don't see anyone besides Walker getting 32 minutes a game. I could see guys like Lamb/Monk/Batum/MKG all averaging over 20. May be possible we see something like 20/15/15 from Zeller/Hernangomez/Biyombo with Zeller playing a little at PF. This is a deep team. The one thing I worry about is Bridges getting minutes. I think the only way that happens this year is if MKG either moves to the 4 or he just loses a lot of his playing time.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,105

Post#791 » by JDR720 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Im going to hold off on saying how deep the team is. We have thought we were deep the past couple seasons.

Or i guess you can say we are deep, but the important thing is how good that depth is. (the quality of the players obviously)
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#792 » by HornetJail » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:04 pm

JDR720 wrote:Im going to hold off on saying how deep the team is. We have thought we were deep the past couple seasons.

Or i guess you can say we are deep, but the important thing is how good that depth is. (the quality of the players obviously)

well, we know a baseline level for most of our guys. We know Lamb is good for some volume scoring in 20-25mpg off the bench. Biz has been a consistently strong backup center and has stayed pretty much exactly the same since his 3rd year here. We've seen enough of Frank to realize he's an asset on most nights. Willy has always had good scoring and rebounding ability. MKG if nothing else will provide great defense. Marvin's gonna Marvin. None of those guys are going to be worse than rotation caliber players. Zeller and Nic have their health concerns but we all know what they are. Nic's floor is that he plays injured and hurts the team like he did till about late January this year. Zeller's floor is that he sits out too often.

Between those 8 and Kemba making up a 9-man rotation, we already have a minimum of 4 bench guys whose worst-case scenarios barring injury are head and shoulders above guys like Sessions, MCW, Belinelli, Hawes, Hibbert... guys we were actually counting on to be rotation players over the last two seasons.

That's not even factoring in our two most recent lottery picks and our lone free agent acquisition. Monk and Bridges could struggle with efficiency and suck and Parker could be totally washed and unplayable, and we'd still have four reliable options coming off our bench. Not even going to bring Bacon and Graham into the picture because I have no clue what to expect from them and I can't see them playing rotation minutes right now.

We qualify as deep, but are lacking in top-end talent. This team is Kemba and eleven players that are 4th-8th options on any team.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#793 » by 316Hornets » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:23 am

I don't know what's happening but Biz is making me believe again. He looks in great shape in this vid from a few weeks ago.

12:25 : Biz block
1:40 : Biz dunk

He had a couple other nice plays too

The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#794 » by Diop » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 am

316Hornets wrote:I don't know what's happening but Biz is making me believe again. He looks in great shape in this vid from a few weeks ago.

12:25 : Biz block
1:40 : Biz dunk

He had a couple other nice plays too

training like that can only be good, I swear one of the dudes looks like Kevin Hart out there
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#795 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:27 pm

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#796 » by Eoghan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Small sample size I guess but still alarming to the "Muh Zeller" crowd.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#797 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Eoghan wrote:Small sample size I guess but still alarming to the "Muh Zeller" crowd.

Through 9 games as the starter Biz has been the only player legitimately with a positive net rating at +2.0 (other than Lamb’s +0.1).

JB has done this team a disservice by depending on Willy when he could give Biz more minutes.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612766/onoffcourt-advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=9
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#798 » by DY_nasty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:17 am

imagine being an NBA coach and having to choose between willie and biz
catch20two
RealGM

Post#799 » by catch20two » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Biz played a integral role in helping the Raptors reach the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in franchise history. Then followed that up by helping Toronto take LeBron and the Cavs to 6 games.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#800 » by DY_nasty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:26 pm

catch20two wrote:Biz played a integral role in helping the Raptors reach the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in franchise history. Then followed that up by helping Toronto take LeBron and the Cavs to 6 games.

looking for great, short runs from guys leaves you with a list that's pretty massive dude... i mean hell, tristan thompson is a perfect example from the same sort of recent scenario

Return to Charlotte Hornets