ImageImageImage

Welcome Jonah Bolden

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Re: Welcome Jonah Bolden 

Post#281 » by PLO » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:50 pm

TBH he looked a lot better last Summer League, something looks a bit off about him, like he has a stiff back or something like it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's carrying some sort of injury.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#282 » by Simmons25 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:23 am

PLO wrote:TBH he looked a lot better last Summer League, something looks a bit off about him, like he has a stiff back or something like it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's carrying some sort of injury.

They are playing him at the 5... which I really don't understand given he has played the 3/4 his entire life. To suddenly expect him to start playing the 5 when his body is really not made for it... is kind of criminal.

I get they are trying to get Bolden on the floor at the same time as Smith and they play the same position... but to me he seems lost out there because of it.

The way he is playing at the moment he won't even get on the D League squad.
SixersRelated
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#283 » by SixersRelated » Mon Jul 9, 2018 9:04 am

To be honest I didn't expect anything else from Bolden. Despite the nice highlights on YouTube, he had a bad season with Maccabi in Israel. He began the season with some good performances but in the middle of the season he faced a few injuries and since then slipped out of the rotation. Even when he fully healed and played 15+ minutes in some games he had no impact and played bad. During the playoffs, he wasn't even part of the bench.

Thus far, his performances are really concerning. If he had any potential to become a role player I would like the idea to keep him here but right now I hope that FO will find a way to trade him for a second-rounder.
@SixersRelated
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#284 » by TTP » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:33 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
PLO wrote:TBH he looked a lot better last Summer League, something looks a bit off about him, like he has a stiff back or something like it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's carrying some sort of injury.

They are playing him at the 5... which I really don't understand given he has played the 3/4 his entire life. To suddenly expect him to start playing the 5 when his body is really not made for it... is kind of criminal.

I get they are trying to get Bolden on the floor at the same time as Smith and they play the same position... but to me he seems lost out there because of it.

The way he is playing at the moment he won't even get on the D League squad.

No way his body or game is suited to playing the 3 either. He should probably be given minutes primarily at the 4, but if he can't play occasional minutes at the 5, his value goes down a bit. Even moreso because he's probably competing directly with Richaun for a roster spot, and we definitely need a third center.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#285 » by Kobblehead » Mon Jul 9, 2018 1:58 pm

No sense in having him on the roster. Just bring him over as the 3rd C next year when Richaun comes off the books.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#286 » by Chris76 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:50 pm

Kobblehead wrote:No sense in having him on the roster. Just bring him over as the 3rd C next year when Richaun comes off the books.

Richaun played well with Embiid, but didn't get enough playing time with Dario, Ersan, and Simmons there.

Surprised another team doesn't see his potential at PF. I expect him to be even stronger and hungrier this year to show his improving skills.

He dunks everything!
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#287 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:23 pm

Chris76 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:No sense in having him on the roster. Just bring him over as the 3rd C next year when Richaun comes off the books.

Richaun played well with Embiid, but didn't get enough playing time with Dario, Ersan, and Simmons there.

Surprised another team doesn't see his potential at PF. I expect him to be even stronger and hungrier this year to show his improving skills.

He dunks everything!

I really like Holmes alot, if he actually used this offseason to develop a reliable 3 pt shot, BB would probably give him a shot at the 4 if we traded for Kawhi.

Otherwise he will be moving on soon unfortunately.
SixersRelated
Sophomore

Post#288 » by SixersRelated » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

He dunks everything!

I really like Holmes alot, if he actually used this offseason to develop a reliable 3 pt shot, BB would probably give him a shot at the 4 if we traded for Kawhi.

Otherwise he will be moving on soon unfortunately.

I don't see a reason to let him go. He's a great fit as our third C/PF and he has an expiring contract. I hope he's working hard this off-season to come back better next year and even threat Amir Johnson's place in the rotation. Holmes is young and has a potential to be a good replacement for Embiid/Saric when they'll need rest.
@SixersRelated
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#289 » by Simmons25 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:19 am

Are we able to put Bolden on a 2 way contract? I really can't see any point in putting him on the roster at this stage given they seem hell bent on playing him as a back up 5... and he did none of that last year and if he goes back overseas they aren't going to be playing him at the 5 just because Philly asks them to nicely. His best chance is to sit in the D League for most of the season and play him at the 5 there and hope he develops.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#290 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:31 am

Simmons25 wrote:Are we able to put Bolden on a 2 way contract? I really can't see any point in putting him on the roster at this stage given they seem hell bent on playing him as a back up 5... and he did none of that last year and if he goes back overseas they aren't going to be playing him at the 5 just because Philly asks them to nicely. His best chance is to sit in the D League for most of the season and play him at the 5 there and hope he develops.

He would have to agree to do that, 2 way guys make a lot less money than normal roster guys and he could probably make more in Europe.
SixersRelated
Sophomore

Post#291 » by SixersRelated » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:Are we able to put Bolden on a 2 way contract? I really can't see any point in putting him on the roster at this stage given they seem hell bent on playing him as a back up 5... and he did none of that last year and if he goes back overseas they aren't going to be playing him at the 5 just because Philly asks them to nicely. His best chance is to sit in the D League for most of the season and play him at the 5 there and hope he develops.

He would have to agree to do that, 2 way guys make a lot less money than normal roster guys and he could probably make more in Europe.

I think it will be a wise move also from his side to sign on a two-way contract and playing in our G-League affiliate. He'll be able to prove himself in the G-League and still be part of the roster of our franchise and have a chance to be called-up to NBA games if there will be injuries.

However, I don't think he'll do it. I read some interviews with him and he sounds too confident. He said that he had a good time in Israel and played well in the EuroLeague while he was a 5-10MPG player in Maccabi Tel Aviv. He also said he's ready to the NBA and we see how he plays in the Summer League.
@SixersRelated
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#292 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:48 pm

Like Smith, I think Bolden's game won't look nearly as ugly playing alongside better distributors with guys who can actually space and get out in transition. I like that he's a natural passer and love his ability to switch out and guard some smaller guys off the dribble.

That said, his outside shot looks disappointingly unreliable and he's a horrible free throw shooter. He'll need to address some holes in his game before he's in the conversation of being a rotation player.

We could use another big body, but unless he's willing to bet on himself and accept a 2-way deal, I think another year overseas could be warranted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#293 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:43 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Like Smith, I think Bolden's game won't look nearly as ugly playing alongside better distributors with guys who can actually space and get out in transition. I like that he's a natural passer and love his ability to switch out and guard some smaller guys off the dribble.

That said, his outside shot looks disappointingly unreliable and he's a horrible free throw shooter. He'll need to address some holes in his game before he's in the conversation of being a rotation player.

We could use another big body, but unless he's willing to bet on himself and accept a 2-way deal, I think another year overseas could be warranted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well if they were higher level players, they wouldn't be so dependent on teamates to make them better. We got enough guys on our roster that need help (non-dribbling crew) from others to be effective, I just don't see having room for two more.

Bolden should've looked better on his own, even on a sucky team he should stand out.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#294 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Yeah, no excuses for Bolden being an offensive no-show. Cam Oliver and Chris McCullough haven't had trouble getting buckets on this distributor-devoid team. Besides, isn't he a former perimeter player? Shouldn't he, of all bigs, be able to score on his own a little?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#295 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:57 am

Just summer league but if they send him back to Europe for another year you won't hear any complaints from me.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#296 » by freshie2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 am

Barring a major consolidation deal, I don't see how he makes the roster.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#297 » by mithrandir17 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:24 am

Can Bolden play in the pre-season games even if they haven't signed him to a contract yet? I just want to see if Bolden can atleast play with our regular season roster until deciding if he should head back to Europe.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#298 » by Black Mage » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:23 am

Given his abysmal play this summer league, can we change the name of this thread to "Go Back to Europe Jonah Bolden"?
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#299 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 am

Colour me shocked about how abysmal he's been offensively. Disappointing. I haven't watched enough but I get the vibe he's being a bit misused also.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#300 » by freshie2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:31 am

GimmeDat wrote:Colour me shocked about how abysmal he's been offensively. Disappointing. I haven't watched enough but I get the vibe he's being a bit misused also.

I don't think he is being misused, he is simply playing a role in the offense. He has had a lot of opportunities to do everything in the scheme, and simply has not performed well. Very casual with the ball as well.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers