ImageImageImageImageImage

Lowe Post Podcast: Rachel Nichols speculates that KD will sign with Knicks in 2019

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,834

Lowe Post Podcast: Rachel Nichols speculates that KD will sign with Knicks in 2019 

Post#1 » by BowlRips » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Check out the latest edition of the Lowe Post Podcast featuring Zach Lowe, Howard Beck and Rachel Nichols.
At 27min mark, they bring up Durant and Rachel Nichols immediately brings up the Knicks as a viable option.
Seems to be in the tone of "informed speculation"
But reasons she cites are

- one upping Lebron on his move to LA
- KD's manager, Rich Kleiman, ties to the Knicks
- Durant not being satisfied in Golden State
- Warriors brass unsure if Durant wants to remain there and were even concerned he would leave this offseason
- Opportunity for KD to fix his image
- Return of the Mecca
- Scott Perry's ties to Durant when he was working for Sonics when KD was drafted there

She said if KD takes meetings then he will def meet the Knicks.
She put odds that KD as more likely that not that this could happen.
Lowe and Beck both agreed that you can't dismiss the idea it could happen

Just interesting stuff
sol537
RealGM
And1: 4,908

Re: Lowe Post Podcast: Rachel Nichols speculates that KD will sign with Knicks in 2019 

Post#2 » by sol537 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:50 pm

It's a long shot, but if our rookies continue to show promise and growth and KP comes back late in the season and shows something... I could see our chances for a great free agent signing (like a KD) go up tremendously for 2019 and even 2020. Our rebuild would be accelerated and, if we could weaken GSW in the process... that's a double wammy.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,352

Re: Lowe Post Podcast: Rachel Nichols speculates that KD will sign with Knicks in 2019 

Post#3 » by F N 11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 pm

KD also boys with Trier and Knox hmmm
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#4 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Before anyone takes what i say out of context i would be ecstatic with KD as a Knick BUT....As stupid as this is going to sound i prefer Kyrie to KD. KD will be 30+ next season and i dont think we would have the requisite pieces around him to win the title and i dont really want to see us trade away Frank and Knox for vets to go all in for 2-3 years right now. Kyrie will still be 27-28 next year and we can continue to grow with him. He was an mvp candidate last year before the injury and admittedly im a sucker for the hometown kid coming home... Also i think he fits our team slightly better. Basically i think Kyrie sets us up for more sustained success than KD would. Id be happy with either or both obviously though.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#5 » by Mecca » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:Before anyone takes what i say out of context i would be ecstatic with KD as a Knick BUT....As stupid as this is going to sound i prefer Kyrie to KD. KD will be 30+ next season and i dont think we would have the requisite pieces around him to win the title and i dont really want to see us trade away Frank and Knox for vets to go all in for 2-3 years right now. Kyrie will still be 27-28 next year and we can continue to grow with him. He was an mvp candidate last year before the injury and admittedly im a sucker for the hometown kid coming home... Also i think he fits our team slightly better. Basically i think Kyrie sets us up for more sustained success than KD would. Id be happy with either or both obviously though.

So do I.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#6 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Sigh...I hate pipe dreaming. And the endless starphcking the Knicks have tried over the last 20 years has kept us in the gutter.

But...I don't think it's a pipe dream. I think we have a shot. Might be just a small shot, but, I think KD will listen. The positive press that's been slowly building with the ESPNs & FS1s of the world is quite a paradigm shift.

Durant will never get the respect he craves with the Warriors.

It's been 45 years and counting for NY. The brave soul that finally takes up our cause and wins a championship here will be a legend forever.

Mills & Perry have this headed in the right direction. The Knicks are starting to build respect.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#7 » by NYKHardKnock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Kristaps Porzingis | Mitchell Robinson
Kevin Durant | Lance Thomas
Kevin Knox | Mario Hezonja
R.J. Barrett | ??????
Frank Ntilikina | Rajon Rondo

Crazy long lineup. Probably the favorite to win. If he wants to restore his career. Why not? The only way I can gain respect after literally hating his guts.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#8 » by MP4LIFE » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 pm

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again - Durant is too soft to play here. He can’t handle the criticism or the media. The minute any of our fans boo him the dude is going to fold. He’ll have to create another 25 burner accounts just to keep himself happy. That and the dude is not an alpha.

If you want to get a big fish then go get one but make sure he is a leader and can carry the team. I don’t think Durant has that in him. If he did he wouldn’t have chosen the easy way out.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,442

Post#9 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:11 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again - Durant is too soft to play here. He can’t handle the criticism or the media. The minute any of our fans boo him the dude is going to fold. He’ll have to create another 25 burner accounts just to keep himself happy. That and the dude is not an alpha.

If you want to get a big fish then go get one but make sure he is a leader and can carry the team. I don’t think Durant has that in him. If he did he wouldn’t have chosen the easy way out.
lol KD can def carry a team, he’s just not a leader of men.
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#10 » by awy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:13 pm

y'all crazy for preferring kyrie over kd. absolutely mental.

kd at his size and skill is impossible to really shut down. he won't have many 'bad games'. his defense is pretty elite now too. he doesn't need to be oakley to be productive. his skill and measurements is a cheat code that allows him to be a unique weapon even when 'soft'.

but more importantly, he's probably reading this thread right now and ppl hating on him is gonna make him not want to come. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: let's chill with that.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#11 » by taj2133 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:13 pm

I think the only way he comes here if the warriors lose and wants a challenge to gain back his respect if he wins a title with the knicks he will become a legend.
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#12 » by ChilledAlex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 pm

KD can come and hide behind Knox and KP and have ny fanbase defend and praise him on instagram. Reasonable
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#13 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Let's talk about this for a moment.

First of all, Rachel Nichols was adamant when she said and I quote, "The OKC Thunder did not trade Harden to d/t luxury tax." Um, sorry Rach...Bill Simmons broke it all down to dollars and cents. Yeah. They did.

Now, let me roll the clocks back to the Kevin Durant sweepstakes where KD was hanging in the Hamptons and did NOT even field a phone call from the Knicks. At least Lebron allowed an audience from Donnie Walsh. KD hung out just a few hours from NYC and didn't even give the Knicks a pastry by his personal chef. :lol:

So here's the thing....

Durant will finish up this upcoming season with the Warriors, then opt-in to go 2/2...Then at the age of 31 years of age (something the Knicks are good at signing guys past their prime) he'll sniff the Knicks IF...IF they offer him the maximum amount of cap space they have available for FOUR seasons.

Otherwise he'll go someplace like Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, or become a lumberjack in Seattle. ;)
New Knicks
Junior
And1: 190

Post#14 » by New Knicks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Lol he not coming. Let’s just keep the rebuild going
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#15 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 pm

K P 6 wrote:KD also boys with Trier and Knox hmmm

Is he boyz with Knox to? I know Trier said they talk all the time but didn't know him and Knox talk or hang as well. There's no other free agent i'd want over KD and if we could get KD and Kyrie to take a little less then it's on.
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#16 » by Dave DaButcher » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:Before anyone takes what i say out of context i would be ecstatic with KD as a Knick BUT....As stupid as this is going to sound i prefer Kyrie to KD. KD will be 30+ next season and i dont think we would have the requisite pieces around him to win the title and i dont really want to see us trade away Frank and Knox for vets to go all in for 2-3 years right now. Kyrie will still be 27-28 next year and we can continue to grow with him. He was an mvp candidate last year before the injury and admittedly im a sucker for the hometown kid coming home... Also i think he fits our team slightly better. Basically i think Kyrie sets us up for more sustained success than KD would. Id be happy with either or both obviously though.

Maybe we won't have to choose? Not easy, obviously, but if we are somehow able to dump THJ by attaching a pick, stretch Noah, and shed Lance/Lee, wouldn't we have the room to do both?

(Certainly a long shot, but at a minimum, it's encouraging to see that the early buzz being created by the combination of KP, Knox and Fiz, along with the inherent attraction of NYC/MSG, seems to be making us a consideration for top free agents again vs. the automatic no of recent years.)
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#17 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

didn't KD say "never" when asked if he'd sign with the knicks?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#18 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:39 pm

BowlRips wrote:Check out the latest edition of the Lowe Post Podcast featuring Zach Lowe, Howard Beck and Rachel Nichols.
At 27min mark, they bring up Durant and Rachel Nichols immediately brings up the Knicks as a viable option.
Seems to be in the tone of "informed speculation"
But reasons she cites are

- one upping Lebron on his move to LA
- KD's manager, Rich Kleiman, ties to the Knicks
- Durant not being satisfied in Golden State
- Warriors brass unsure if Durant wants to remain there and were even concerned he would leave this offseason
- Opportunity for KD to fix his image
- Return of the Mecca
- Scott Perry's ties to Durant when he was working for Sonics when KD was drafted there

She said if KD takes meetings then he will def meet the Knicks.
She put odds that KD as more likely that not that this could happen.
Lowe and Beck both agreed that you can't dismiss the idea it could happen

Just interesting stuff

I'll use this as another location to posit my KD to the Knicks theory. Or, more accurately, the reasons why KD might consider it.

Reasons to stay with the GSW
Rings, rings and more rings.
KD has two. Pencil him in for 3 next year. That ties him with LeBron, the player he'll be compared to when their careers are over. Not a direct comparison, but they'll sort of come up in the same breath, not unlike Magic/Bird
KD could then OPT IN, get a 4th and one up LeBron that way. IF one upping LeBron is important to him
KD could just re-sign, and pick up somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,6 rings and be remembered as, if not an original member, then an integral member of one of the iconic teams in NBA history. This is obviously the strongest reason to stay

Reasons KD might leave
Lebron "chased rings" right? Well, if LeBron was ONLY about rings, he would have stayed in Miami another few years and won another one or two. Lebron ensured he won a wing, stayed for another, then decided, in a VERY CALCULATED MOVE, to go back to Cleveland. That was very media savvy to change how he was currently viewed, but also how he'd be viewed when his career is over. To go back to the "home team" in a feel good story, deliver a championship, be a hero, no longer be a villain. And did he stay after? Nope. He went to LA to be on a "good" team, but perhaps not a championship team, but headed to a major media market and is basically positioning himself for post career life.

KD also left his "home team" and deliberately joined a team that was already a champion without him, so he could "fill in his resume, his career", with a championship. I believe both players, or Lebron, then KD, realized the kind of leverage and power they have, and used it to ensure they wouldn't go "ringless". Now, once one ring, or two, or three is out of the way, the question is what the next motivation. I think KD is VERY cognizant of the fact he's viewed a villain. Not quite A-Rod, but his brand went from "KD's a good guy" to "KD is kind of d*ck" and also "KD is a coattail rider". IF KD is satisfied having tied LeBron with 3 rings (and I think that's important), there is a very real chance he signs with the Knicks so he can be seen as "taking on the challenge of winning one as the lead guy" and also it sort of erases a lot of "KD is a front running ahole" from his brand. And that's just for evening signing on for a few years. If he wins a championship with the Knicks, then it's "he's the guy who ended the 46 year drought, he's a hero etc etc". And that would be a big deal for the post playing days KD legacy. And I really think LeBron and KD are wired to think this way.

It's a big if. Leaving a team that will be considered one of the top 4 in nba history is a big deal. But even LeBron showed his was wired not in an entirely "win as many rings as possible" and nothing else way. I think there is a strong chance KD is similar.
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#19 » by Dantares » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:41 pm

no way we sign him after he said this last year.

“Everything starts at the top. You got bad leadership at the top, it’s just going to trickle down to everybody else. So once you get the bad leader out, then…

It’s so much separation between your front office and your players…When a GM wants to make a decision, he’s gotta to talk to the owner and he’s nowhere to be found and he don’t care, then you kind of stuck and that causes tension.”
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#20 » by awy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

the organizational competence stuff can change, and is changing. don't think it's a dealbreaker if the player development stuff takes a big stride forward this year and they have some young core to show for it with a good system in place.

Return to New York Knicks