ImageImageImage

2018 Free Agency and Trade Discussion continued

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,909

Re: 2018 Free Agency and Trade Discussion continued 

Post#361 » by Fo-Real » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 pm

Money wise if we need to open a slot, Troy is the odd man out. 3.25 expiring as opposed to Tyson at 13.5 and Duds at 9.5, cheaper to buy out Daniels obviously. Would actually rather Chandler and or Duds if money isn't the focus.
DaleyBlind
Veteran
And1: 1,832

Post#362 » by DaleyBlind » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 pm

JDLAW wrote:
DaleyBlind wrote:
JDLAW wrote:

Nonsense

Thought it was obvious that statement was hyperbole, but their is truth in it - he looks really bad. He is a terrible offensive player.

Again, nonsense.

:lol: what? Now your just being a homer.
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#363 » by TOO » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Troy Daniels is not a good player, he's a streak shooter with irrational confidence. He's not a defender of any sorts, he offers nothing when his shot isnt falling. Will not miss him if he's cut lose.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#364 » by BobbieL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Lin for Carmelo being discussed. There would have to be more players involved. Lin makes 12m ; Melo like 27m - so another1m back to Brooklyn. Only player that makes sense is Crabbe as that gets rid of a long term debt for Nets. Carroll and Lin for Melo is expiring for expiring. Granted, Carroll does help OKC even this year and Lin could be waived Will be interesting - unless this turns into a 3 team deal.

http://amicohoops.net/report-nets-thunder-talking-anthony-trade/
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#365 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 pm

stoo wrote:guys.... i have already made a post about serbian coaching here... and you can look up internet about that.. so if knight plays bad (doesn't execute plans), he will be benched... don't worry... so i guess he will just have to play for the team

Igor has been coaching in he US for a long time. How could we be sure he coaches with a Serbian style.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,050

Post#366 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm

BobbieL wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Daniels is a good player. He is an excellent shooter. We just cannot keep them all. Someone good has to be cut. But that is how it used to be with the Suns.

We have slots for everyone. Us wanting another open slot on the roster (if that rumor is true) is not about being able to keep Daniels and Shaq, it's about adding someone else.

Suns have 15 players under contract today - if you include the three rookies, Shaq and Reed. So, to add a player - one needs to be removed from the roster. Therefore, there is a numbers crunch and to add, one needs to go. Peters and King are two way guys so not part of the top 15.

We don't really need to cut anyone. The only reason to do so would be to add Williams (or anyone else). Now personally I'd rather have Shaq and Reed than Williams, but Williams over Daniels. But they would still have to trade him or waive him.

I doubt they buy out Chandler(unless he wants it) rather than get rid of someone like Daniels, considering our 3 pt shooting depth (of whom most defend).

But if you look at availabe free agents, there isn't much worth cutting someone for outside of maybe Big Sauce.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-rankings-2018-clint-capela-marcus-smart-jabari-parker-among-top-50-players-still-available/
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#367 » by BobbieL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Money wise if we need to open a slot, Troy is the odd man out. 3.25 expiring as opposed to Tyson at 13.5 and Duds at 9.5, cheaper to buy out Daniels obviously. Would actually rather Chandler and or Duds if money isn't the focus.

Suns could always trade Daniels and flip some cash in the deal to make the deal work. As opposed to waiving him outright. Any team need to hit the salary cap floor. The Hawks maybe.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#368 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
We have slots for everyone. Us wanting another open slot on the roster (if that rumor is true) is not about being able to keep Daniels and Shaq, it's about adding someone else.

Suns have 15 players under contract today - if you include the three rookies, Shaq and Reed. So, to add a player - one needs to be removed from the roster. Therefore, there is a numbers crunch and to add, one needs to go. Peters and King are two way guys so not part of the top 15.

We don't really need to cut anyone. The only reason to do so would be to add Williams (or anyone else). Now personally I'd rather have Shaq and Reed than Williams, but Williams over Daniels. But they would still have to trade him or waive him.

I doubt they buy out Chandler(unless he wants it) rather than get rid of someone like Daniels, considering our 3 pt shooting depth (of whom most defend).

But if you look at availabe free agents, there isn't much worth cutting someone for outside of maybe Big Sauce.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-rankings-2018-clint-capela-marcus-smart-jabari-parker-among-top-50-players-still-available/

Have we forgotten how well Williams played for us? I would love to have him back over Chandler. I would also love to sign a pg like Teodesic if he is cut. So buy out Chandler and cut Daniels.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#369 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:53 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Have we forgotten how well Williams played for us? I would love to have him back over Chandler. I would also love to sign a pg like Teodesic if he is cut. So buy out Chandler and cut Daniels.

He played alright for a while when we went young with Ulis and company two years ago. Not great but decent. I wouldn't mind having him. I just don't think they will buy out Chandler unless he asks for it. Ayton has expressed he can't wait to learn from Chandler.

I'm not real high on Teodosic with his injury problems and lack of defense. But I guess he might be our best PG, so I couldn't complain too much if it was just a one year deal. I just don't think Reed is worth cutting for him..or Shaq and I don't believe they will buy out Chandler.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#370 » by BobbieL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

I want to keep Shaq and Reed for sure. For their price tags - they are worth seeing what they have especially with a coach like Kokoskov. We know what Daniels has. I can see Daniels being waived. Chandler - Gambo has mentioned a couple times "they need to talk to him" but that is all he has said.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,081

Post#371 » by stoo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
stoo wrote:guys.... i have already made a post about serbian coaching here... and you can look up internet about that.. so if knight plays bad (doesn't execute plans), he will be benched... don't worry... so i guess he will just have to play for the team

Igor has been coaching in he US for a long time. How could we be sure he coaches with a Serbian style.

you don't have to be sure... but it's rational to assume there is some of it remaining... and discipline is what is common to all of serbian coaches.. he might have changed a lot of his basketball philosophy in meantime, but i doubt discipline is part of that change
NotSinceWilt
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,641

Post#372 » by sunsbum » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:25 pm

I think Reed and or Bridges can easily replicate what Daniels does on the offensive side of the ball. Defensively its not even a question. There's no real reason to keep Troy even though he's been a pretty good pick up for us.
Flex is now your father.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,189

Post#373 » by King4Day » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 pm

BobbieL wrote:Lin for Carmelo being discussed. There would have to be more players involved. Lin makes 12m ; Melo like 27m - so another1m back to Brooklyn. Only player that makes sense is Crabbe as that gets rid of a long term debt for Nets. Carroll and Lin for Melo is expiring for expiring. Granted, Carroll does help OKC even this year and Lin could be waived Will be interesting - unless this turns into a 3 team deal.

Maybe we can get involved where we get Lin and move Dudley (makes 2mil less) to OKC?

It'd probably have to be something like this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yah5fjnq
(with picks moving around. Suns get none but maybe move a second rounder to the Kings with the Thunder moving a future first or some seconds to the nets)

Doesn't look like the Kings need a SG though but they only have one true PG.
I really don't know how the Nets/Thunder can make a deal by themselves but if there's any chance we can get Lin, I would love to do it.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#374 » by BobbieL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
BobbieL wrote:Lin for Carmelo being discussed. There would have to be more players involved. Lin makes 12m ; Melo like 27m - so another1m back to Brooklyn. Only player that makes sense is Crabbe as that gets rid of a long term debt for Nets. Carroll and Lin for Melo is expiring for expiring. Granted, Carroll does help OKC even this year and Lin could be waived Will be interesting - unless this turns into a 3 team deal.

Maybe we can get involved where we get Lin and move Dudley (makes 2mil less) to OKC?

I was thinking the same thing - how can the Suns possibly get Lin as OKC doesn't need him. Dudley probably helps more with Anthony leaving. Granted if they get Crabbe - is Dudley redundant. But with Felton and the other PG - Westbrook - is that his name - they are locked there too. Trading for say Dudley instead of LIn and taking Crabbe -- probably saves them 20m bucks or close to it

OKC: Crabbe and Dudley - stretch Dudley
Nets: Melo - and they get rid of Crabbe long term debt
Suns: Lin - for Dudley, back up PG
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#375 » by BobbieL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:02 pm

DarkHawk wrote:

(with picks moving around. Suns get none but maybe move a second rounder to the Kings with the Thunder moving a future first or some seconds to the nets)

I really don't know how the Nets/Thunder can make a deal by themselves but if there's any chance we can get Lin, I would love to do it.

this is pretty good deal - this would save OKC a ton of money. I mean like 80m bucks
Kings get Crabbe. He is not Lavine but everybody has turned them down.
Nets get rid of Crabbe and Lin
Suns get a PG that probably would work well

good work DH!

EdIT: would save the Thunder 113m per the capulator replacing Dudley for Anthony. But they need to stretch Dudley. If they keep him, they only save about 87m
PhxLax
Junior
And1: 295

Post#376 » by PhxLax » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 pm

BobbieL wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:

this is pretty good deal - this would save OKC a ton of money. I mean like 80m bucks
Kings get Crabbe. He is not Lavine but everybody has turned them down.
Nets get rid of Crabbe and Lin
Suns get a PG that probably would work well

good work DH!

don't see Lin being any different/upgrade over what's avail in Knight - Shaq - Canaan (possibly since he's working out w/ the team). And certainly worse for Okobo's minutes/growth.

Pass.
PhxLax
Junior
And1: 295

Post#377 » by PhxLax » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 pm

bigfoot wrote:
PhxLax wrote:
bigfoot wrote:McD did talk with Kokoshkov during his coaching interview and Koko said Ariza would be the best fit for the Suns. That might be the reason why McD made the quick jump. Based on the defense and offense I'm seeing Koko run in the summer league I'm sure he is going to use Ariza correctly. The defensive intensity by these kids has been insane so far.

Still like the Ariza signing as it brings us defense, three point shooting, and veteran leadership. We were the worst in the league at all three last year. Shaq and Reed both look to fit the defensive needs of the team. Plus Reed has the three point shooting chops. Bridges was a great move as he was a three year college player and hits the 3-D need. Overall McD has done above average addressing the needs of the team this year.

Probably more like - - - Hey Koko, check out D'Antoni. Do u see he got to the Western Finals w/ Ariza (6-8) and Tucker (6-6) as their forwards? Watcha think --- we can roll out two 6-8 guys in Warren n Ariza. The rest is history.....and will prove to be a mistake when three weeks in Ariza decides he's not suited to play frontcourt......afterall, he's a career wingman. Not a frontcourt player.

Doesn't everybody remember the JJ issue at start of last season? They played him at PF guarding Blake and Blake destroyed him. And JJ went in locker room and told reporters he hates playing PF and don't wanna be guarding big ass men like that. I don't blame him.

Teams need TWO bigs on the floor at all times. I'm old school. Even the Warriors rolled out McGee/Green as starters. And now they rolling out Boogie/Green. Pelicans same w/ Boogie/AD and now Randle/AD. Or Celtics' deep run with Horford/Baynes. Or Blake/Drummond. Or Pau/LaMarcus. Or Kanter/Porzingis or Jokic/Millsap. The list goes on and on and on w/ practically every NBA team except Suns and Rockets ---- and guess what both have Phx affiliations (tucker, d'antoni). Clearly it's a stupid valley desert mentality to play small ball and that goes nowhere. Period. No ifs or buts.

The whole spill about "u don't need bigs" is a giant myth. No team goes on to win consistently without 2 bigs on the floor at most times. And Suns will really make Ayton's job much harder by making him the only big on the floor. You've got a SG playing effing PF and you got a rookie Center who you're going to rely on 99% of the time. Not gonna work. Disaster waiting to happen.

Let's make it simple for you then. Tell us what big man we could have gotten in free agency this offseason that played defense and could hit the three ball. Don't throw out any RFAs (e.g., Gordon) because they would have been matched. Just tell us who (and it needs to be a PF) we would have had a reasonable chance of attracting.

1. I don't kno why all of a sudden everybody says u need a big man to hit three pointers. Is this to make the playoffs? So Ariza signing is so u can have a wing play PF so u can win games???????

2. The answer to your question on who I would sign instead: NONE. NOBODY.

You got Chriss/Bender to deal with right now. If they on the team, they play PF. Period. No matter how awful they are. It's not like you went into offseason thinking you're going to win the West. It's not like you went into signing Ariza into thinking you're going to propel yourself into the playoffs. The Ariza signing is a complete head scratcher of a move. It's redundant and he is only making things more complicated for Warren/Jackson/Bridges....Not to mention stunting their minutes and growth esp for JJ and Bridges.

The answer to your question is nobody. You play PF with Bender and Chriss and you got nothing to lose cause u have no winning expectations this season. You showcase them and hope and pray you can unload them via trade for another PF (coupled w/ Chandler expiring or something like that). That's the way you would get yourself a PF. Not the free agent market.

With the Ariza signing, I don't understand what you're trying to do. Win? Have a wing play PF to teach something to the young guys? Try to make the playoffs w/ small ball? But wait...He's only 1 year deal so it's not long term plans for the Suns. So totally confused.

But ------ if you still not satisfied w/ my answer, then u can throw half the money (say around 6-10 million) on guys like Ed Davis, E Illyasova, N Bjeilica, and Montrez Harrell who's still available and is a stud of a power forward......Heck of a player that is 500x better than Chriss and Bender cause he has drive, will, and passion on the court and still not signed.

....Gonna love watching Suns vs practically any team this year when there's a screen and players switch and you're left screaming at the TV cause Ariza is left to guard Anthony Davis or Blake or Drummond on the switch and they just dunk over em. Gonna be one crazy season of shouting at the TV...... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#378 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 pm

stoo wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

you don't have to be sure... but it's rational to assume there is some of it remaining... and discipline is what is common to all of serbian coaches.. he might have changed a lot of his basketball philosophy in meantime, but i doubt discipline is part of that change

Sounds to me like he will hold people accountable and if they are not playing how he has instructed them to play, they will play less or not at all unless mgmt tells him he has to play certain players x minutes or something.
SkinnyOMiller
Junior
And1: 417

Post#379 » by SkinnyOMiller » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 pm

I'm all about keeping Chandler around. I think a year of Ayton learning from him and working with him everyday in practice would be invaluable. Chandler is a pro's pro, he was a very good center in this league for a long time and his strengths matchup well with a lot of Ayton's weaknesses. I think it would be tremendous to have such an accomplished veteran to learn from.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Free Agency and Trade Discussion continued 

Post#380 » by MathiasPW » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 pm

Yeah, but then what? Run a non-shooting PG in Shaq, along with Warren or Jackson, or playing with Ariza and Bender, depending on another unproven player?

Or bet on a rookie Okobo? or move Booker to PG? All of these are hugely risky. We need a better piece at the 1.

Return to Phoenix Suns