ImageImageImageImageImage

[BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan'

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,680

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#101 » by shtolky » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Greenie wrote:Noah and Timmy aside we did great managing the cap....

:lol:

I'm glad you are starting to recognize facts. Noah and THJ mistakes aside, when you end up with 40m in cap space, you've managed the cap well. Seems good to me.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,838

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#102 » by Spree2Houston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Everyone is throwing their own numbers of how much cap we will have next season. But here is the breakdown if we sign KP now. We would only have $6.7mil in cap. If we stretch Noah and extend KP before next summer, then we would only have roughly $20mil in cap. However, if we wait to sign KP until next summer with his caphold would only be $16mil, we would have roughly $29mil in cap (after we've stretched Noah). So there is a huge difference in signing him now then signing him after we've signed potentially Kyrie. He will get his max regardless. If he knows Kyrie wants to come here, then he will allow the Knicks to sign him and then they'll give him his max contract immediately afterwards. He could get hurt again and James Dolan will still give him the max. We do it all the time.

shtolky
Head Coach

Post#103 » by shtolky » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Capn'O wrote:

"Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Stellar analogy.

We have 40m in space. Is this not a fact? If I get a D on a test and then nine straight A's, are those A's meaningless because of my D? Yes, Noah and THJ were dumb signings and yet we STILL have that space. When you make two bad mistakes like that and still have a boatload of cap space, you've done well with cap management. I never said perfect cap management.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#104 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:18 pm

HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Does his new contract kick in right away though? Wouldn't he still have to wait for his rookie contract to end next year anyway before his new deal started?

It would kick in next summer.

Right, so regardless of them agreeing to a new deal now or next summer, KP still has to wait another year to get paid. So really there are no games being played and this has nothing to do with people not wanting KP to get paid. Everybody is aware that KP is going to get his money but whether or not they agree to a new deal now or later it doesn't affect his pockets for another full year.

Hezi, it’s called security.
shtolky
Head Coach

Post#105 » by shtolky » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:21 pm

shtolky wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Stellar analogy.

We are looking at 35-45m in cap space. Is this not a fact? If I get a D on a test and then nine straight A's, are those A's meaningless because of my D? Yes, Noah and THJ were dumb signings and yet we STILL have that space. When you make two bad mistakes like that and still have a boatload of cap space, you've done well with cap management. I never said perfect cap management.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#106 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:
It would kick in next summer.

Right, so regardless of them agreeing to a new deal now or next summer, KP still has to wait another year to get paid. So really there are no games being played and this has nothing to do with people not wanting KP to get paid. Everybody is aware that KP is going to get his money but whether or not they agree to a new deal now or later it doesn't affect his pockets for another full year.

Greenie c'mon now, it's Kristaps Porzingis. He's going to get paid. We're not dealing with a Jeremy Lin here, we're talking about the face of the franchise. He's going to get paid, if not the Knicks then somebody else but he is going to get paid and everybody knows it.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,851

Post#107 » by cgf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm

cuyankees wrote:
cgf wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Both possibilities don't have the cap space to absorb Lee...

Lee to Memphis for Green + McLemore opens a max slot up for us next summer without needing to move Noah or THJr *shrug*

Memphis might do it cause they won’t have cap space next summer anyway...but wouldn’t be paying any tax even with Lee on the books for another year...and because they have depth at the 4 while lacking on the wings. Plus they reportedly still like Lee from his time there.

@ end of 2018-19 (this coming season), they’ll have close to 25mn of salary cap space INCLUDING Parsons, they dump him like they’ve been trying to do they’ll have close to 50mn. 0 chance MEM takes on Lee for their expirings wout assets like I said.

How? Unless Gasol opts out they'll have 91M committed to 3 players. They'd have at most 16M in cap space, with which to sign 12 guys, and that's if they renounced everyone (including their pick).

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=5330541425b4781452e7d4890566486
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#108 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:27 pm

shtolky wrote:

I'm glad you are starting to recognize facts. Noah and THJ mistakes aside, when you end up with 40m in cap space, you've managed the cap well. Seems good to me.

And yet we don’t.
That’s why we want KP to wait to be signed.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,838

Post#109 » by Spree2Houston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:27 pm

HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Greenie c'mon now, it's Kristaps Porzingis. He's going to get paid. We're not dealing with a Jeremy Lin here, we're talking about the face of the franchise. He's going to get paid, if not the Knicks then somebody else but he is going to get paid and everybody knows it.

Yeah some team will throw him the max in the summer and we will still match it. He's going to get his max regardless. This is such a silly topic lol
Greenie
RealGM

Post#110 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:29 pm

HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:

He’s 7’3’’ coming off a knee injury. If he can’t play or he comes back looking worse his value goes down.

Boogie just took what?
Greenie
RealGM

Post#111 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:31 pm

You all playing these games.

What happenes if KP is offered a max contract day 1 before the max cats we are after commit?

So KP is supposed to leave contracts on the table to wait for us?
cgf
RealGM

Post#112 » by cgf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Greenie wrote:You all playing these games.

What happenes if KP is offered a max contract day 1 before the max cats we are after commit?

If he wants to play on a eastern contender with Kyrie? Yes.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#113 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:Everyone is throwing their own numbers of how much cap we will have next season. But here is the breakdown if we sign KP now. We would only have $6.7mil in cap. If we stretch Noah and extend KP before next summer, then we would only have roughly $20mil in cap. However, if we wait to sign KP until next summer with his caphold would only be $16mil, we would have roughly $29mil in cap (after we've stretched Noah). So there is a huge difference in signing him now then signing him after we've signed potentially Kyrie. He will get his max regardless. If he knows Kyrie wants to come here, then he will allow the Knicks to sign him and then they'll give him his max contract immediately afterwards. He could get hurt again and James Dolan will still give him the max. We do it all the time.

29 isn’t Kyrie’s max.
It’s 30+
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#114 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 pm

I could be mistaken. But isn't there a time period allotted to the team that has to decide whether or not to match?
Greenie
RealGM

Post#115 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 pm

cgf wrote:

No.

That’s once again putting pressure on players to do a front offices job for them.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#116 » by taj2133 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:

I could be mistaken. But isn't there a time period allotted to the team that has to decide whether or not to match?

48 hours the knicks will match and probably won't even get to that point.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#117 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:

Yep.
It’s like 3 days or something like that.

So what if we don’t have a commitment by that time?
Greenie
RealGM

Post#118 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:40 pm

taj2133 wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

48 hours the knicks will match and probably won't even get to that point.

And if they match before another max signs his contract hits our books and we can’t afford a max anyway.

Loopholes are only good when teams prepare for them.
cgf
RealGM

Post#119 » by cgf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Greenie wrote:
cgf wrote:

No.

That’s once again putting pressure on players to do a front offices job for them.

Ok, how does that change the reality for KP that if he wants a max cat to join him he's gunna have to wait to sign his max deal until after that cat is signed?

...like many other NBAers have had to do...

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,950

Post#120 » by Capn'O » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 pm

shtolky wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Stellar analogy.

We have 40m in space. Is this not a fact? If I get a D on a test and then nine straight A's, are those A's meaningless because of my D? Yes, Noah and THJ were dumb signings and yet we STILL have that space. When you make two bad mistakes like that and still have a boatload of cap space, you've done well with cap management. I never said perfect cap management.

It's a conditional fact. We have that option but it's a little misleading to tout it without the considerations that would accompany it. To get near 40 mil, we'd have to decline Frank's option, not sign Knox, and renounce all of our cap holds including KPs. This is also before you stretch Noah. If you keep KP's hold, sign Knox, and stretch Noah you're down to about 31 million. I don't know why they have Baker for another year and don't have Hezonja yet but that's the math.

The Knicks are in a tough spot in order to have that kind of space and keep their developing players. Once the Knicks bring back the players they should damn well be keeping there's not much left. We'd still have to wiggle significantly to have one max slot with good players behind it.

Also, this isn't school. If you have a dollar and you get some great deals for 1c but then spend 97c on something else you don't get extra credit because you're still **** out of money.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks