ImageImageImageImageImage

[BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan'

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#161 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:Dame didn’t wait
Melo didn’t wait
Bron didn’t wait
Giannis didn’t wait
Harden didn’t wait
Wade didn’t wait
Bosh didn’t wait
STAT didn’t wait
Duncan didn’t wait

Mofo’s like Arron Gordon wait.

Players like KP(even I’m saying this) do not walk into the last year of their rookie deals without extensions. They AT LEAST are negotiating.

Except Bron, Wade and Bosh DID wait. It's how they were able to team up. They didn't take every available year and dime like Melo.

They did not wait on an extension. Try again.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#162 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Greenie wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Sorry, I’m one of the few that never complained about Melo’s money. I complain about the Knicks being dummies. Melo didn’t sign STAT. The Knicks did.

The Knicks can’t build a team because they have money tied up in Timmy, Noah and Lee. That has NOTHING to do with KP. KP didn’t sign them.

Just like Melo, it’s not KP’s responsibility to help the Knicks out. This is business.

And just like Melo he'll be playing for 8th seeds and 2nd rounds for his whole career if he follows Mel's example.

He should help himself out though and have a contending team AND more long term money.

Seems pretty simple to me.

You know who should help KP?

The Knicks

I don't understand how this isn't connecting with you.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#163 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 pm

HEZI wrote:Knicks aren't obligated to sign KP to an extension, it's just that simple. Saying that teams have to sign players to extensions a whole year in advance is like saying players have to do the same. Players shouldn't have to make their teams wait until the summer to resign them? Players have every right to test waters in free agency and teams have every right to wait to offer an extension.

This is crazy talk, you can't tell a player he can't go seek money in free agency so how you gonna tell a team they can't manage their payroll?

And KP has no obligation to help the Knicks out.

Sign that QO and bounce KP.

Fans only want **** to flow one way and that’s fuqed up.
30andoverclub
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#164 » by 30andoverclub » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Greenie wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
Greenie wrote:
29 isn’t Kyrie’s max.
It’s 30+

He will be eligible for 31. Durant signed a 2 yr 56 mil contract when he signed with Golden State. I don't think Kyrie will argue over $2 million. Guys like him, KD, Bron makes so much off the court that they have taken small paycuts to go to their respective teams. Also the cap is going up next season by a few million which will allow us to be in the 30+ plus range to get him anyway.

We are the Warriors now?

Again, EXPECTING players to take even a penny paycut is asinine.

I already posted this earlier in the thread. This arguing is painful to watch.

If the Knicks don’t give Porzingis his extension, they project to have $22 million in cap space next summer, according to ESPN’s capologist Bobby Marks.

The difference could be made up by using the stretch provision on formerly exiled Joakim Noah. Starting Sept. 1, if the Knicks waive Noah under the provision, they gain another $12 million in 2019 cap space.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/01/why-knicks-should-be-in-no-rush-to-extend-kristaps-porzingis/

Bottom line, if you wait to sign Porzingis, all you have to do is waive and stretch Noah and you have enough to pay a max free agent.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#165 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:Knicks aren't obligated to sign KP to an extension, it's just that simple. Saying that teams have to sign players to extensions a whole year in advance is like saying players have to do the same. Players shouldn't have to make their teams wait until the summer to resign them? Players have every right to test waters in free agency and teams have every right to wait to offer an extension.

This is crazy talk, you can't tell a player he can't go seek money in free agency so how you gonna tell a team they can't manage their payroll?

You keep missing the point, nobody is asking KP to help the Knicks out. He's under contract for a whole year so how is he helping the Knicks out? He's got no power in this situation. Now if the issue was about him being asked to take less money or something like that then I would understand your point but he has to wait to get his new deal whether he likes it or not and there's nothing he can do about it.

Ok, he wants to take the QO? Well guess what? That's another year of him waiting to get his money so it would make him look even more silly if he did that :lol:
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Greenie
RealGM

Post#166 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:12 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
And just like Melo he'll be playing for 8th seeds and 2nd rounds for his whole career if he follows Mel's example.

He should help himself out though and have a contending team AND more long term money.

Seems pretty simple to me.

You know who should help KP?

The Knicks

I don't understand how this isn't connecting with you.

It’s connecting just fine.

You see, Mills signed Timmy to a 4 year contract last year that eats into a cap that already had Noah and Lee on it before we hired a new POBO and GM.

After we promoted Mills and hired Perry we shifted focus to the 2019 FA class without actually having clear money for a max player.

So we want our best player currently(who’s coming off of a serious injury) to not take an extension and WAIT until we sign(or don’t) a superstar next summer and then we can go over the cap to sign him too. All because Mills added Tim Hardaway Jr to our books.

I understand completely. You want KP to do the job that Mills didn’t do.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#167 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 pm

HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:

You keep missing the point, nobody is asking KP to help the Knicks out. He's under contract for a whole year so how is he helping the Knicks out? He's got no power in this situation. Now if the issue was about him being asked to take less money or something like that then I would understand your point but he has to wait to get his new deal whether he likes it or not and there's nothing he can do about it.

Ok, he wants to take the QO? Well guess what? That's another year of him waiting to get his money so it would make him look even more silly if he did that :lol:

No, instead he can simply watch his peers that panned out get theirs while ge has to wait.

Way to build trust and loyalty!!!
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#168 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:18 pm

HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:

I don't know if that would make him look silly...

Not saying it will be the case, but if he were to take the qualifying offer because we somehow managed to get the room to sign 2 max FAs, that would make him a hero in my eyes.

Definitely unlikely, but I can dream.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#169 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:

No, instead he can simply watch his peers that panned out get theirs while ge has to wait.

That's life! I have to wait for Porzingis to come back healthy, I had to wait for Porzingis to develop, I have to wait for the Knicks to be good again. What can I do about it? Nothing! But I see the Warriors winning titles and I want the Knicks to win titles. Porzingis needs to get me a title now, I don't wanna wait. So what happens now? Where's the trust and loyalty to me as a fan? Knicks aren't providing it to me but I'm still here.

If KP wants to vent about his problems he's more than welcome to create a Realgm account and vent about it :D
DENVER NUGGETS
Greenie
RealGM

Post#170 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:32 pm

HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:

That's life! I have to wait for Porzingis to come back healthy, I had to wait for Porzingis to develop, I have to wait for the Knicks to be good again. What can I do about it? Nothing! But I see the Warriors winning titles and I want the Knicks to win titles. Porzingis needs to get me a title now, I don't wanna wait. So what happens now? Where's the trust and loyalty to me as a fan? Knicks aren't providing it to me but I'm still here.

If KP wants to vent about his problems he's more than welcome to create a Realgm account and vent about it :D

The Knicks are not you source of income.
They are for KP.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#171 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Greenie wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:Dame didn’t wait
Melo didn’t wait
Bron didn’t wait
Giannis didn’t wait
Harden didn’t wait
Wade didn’t wait
Bosh didn’t wait
STAT didn’t wait
Duncan didn’t wait

Mofo’s like Arron Gordon wait.

Players like KP(even I’m saying this) do not walk into the last year of their rookie deals without extensions. They AT LEAST are negotiating.

Except Bron, Wade and Bosh DID wait. It's how they were able to team up. They didn't take every available year and dime like Melo.

They didn't take every available dime available at the time. It's not exactly the same but no one is saying KP should starve for a year.

And Yes, KP & the Knicks should help each other. They'll both be better off if they do. Something, something...the meaning of the word team.

I think you're a little afraid of KP's potential success as the Knicks' frontman.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#172 » by Phish Tank » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:41 pm

there's no real benefit to signing an extension now for the team and KP. It's not like KP immediately gets paid $30M or so this year. He doesn't get a signing bonus or anything. He's coming off injury too, so his value shouldn't diminish unless he suffers a huge setback or (worse) another injury. I don't see those doomsday scenarios happening.

If KP signs now, we'll have a harder time surrounding him with better players via free agency. If KP waits and gets the same extension Booker did, we can surround him with a better team.

No reason to rush the process of signing an extension.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#173 » by spree8 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Greenie wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Let him secure it then.

It's best to give your young superstars early extensions. Letting them 'prove themselves' can create distrust. I think in KP's mind he's done more than enough to prove that he's a young player worthy of a max extension. And one of the jobs of the FO is too keep their star players happy, not alienate them.

You do understand that I’m saying just that, right?

If we’re keeping KP he shouldn’t have to wait. If you’re not(or not sure) then let him hit FA and make a decision from there.
...and if your not sure or don’t want him back then you should trade him.

By all accounts the Knicks want him here. So give that boy his money and stop lollygagging about it.

But it costs us a max player next summer. He might barely even play this year so he’s not really risking much and he won’t even get paid that money til next season anyway. They just need to tell him they have every intention of giving him all of his money.

I’m sure management is talking to him about it the way Detroit did with Drummond. If the guy wants to win so badly, then he should take his time, rehab, rest, and understand we want to bring in another star to play with him next summer. After that, we sign him to a max. But it has to be in that order.

He’s gotta work with management n get on the same page if he wants to win. That’s what champ level star players do (Lebron, Wade, Durant, Duncan, Dirk, etc.)
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
HEZI
RealGM

Post#174 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:

The Knicks are not you source of income.
They are for KP.

Doesn't matter, I'm a consumer and the Knicks sold me a product. I have a right to demand a better product. If I pay for league pass for a whole year and only get to watch Porzingis play 50 or so games then I'm getting robbed of my money. Either Porzingis stays healthy for a whole year or I want my money back.
DENVER NUGGETS
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Re: RE: Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#175 » by GONYK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Phish Tank wrote:there's no real benefit to signing an extension now for the team and KP. It's not like KP immediately gets paid $30M or so this year. He doesn't get a signing bonus or anything. He's coming off injury too, so his value shouldn't diminish unless he suffers a huge setback or (worse) another injury. I don't see those doomsday scenarios happening.

If KP signs now, we'll have a harder time surrounding him with better players via free agency. If KP waits and gets the same extension Booker did, we can surround him with a better team.

No reason to rush the process of signing an extension.

I don't understand framing the discussion as if this is some crazy demand. Plenty of players have done it before.

Before KP went down, Janis was trying to put our balls in a vice saying that KP has no interest in signing an extension any time soon and that he may even consider taking the QO and leaving if things don't improve.

Now we have to trip over ourselves to sign Kristaps and ruin the chance to dramatically improve the team because he got injured and his brother might be getting twitchy?

Both parties should just stick to the plan. Nobody loses and everybody wins if we just extend him next summer.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#176 » by cuyankees » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 pm

cgf wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
cgf wrote:
Lee to Memphis for Green + McLemore opens a max slot up for us next summer without needing to move Noah or THJr *shrug*

Memphis might do it cause they won’t have cap space next summer anyway...but wouldn’t be paying any tax even with Lee on the books for another year...and because they have depth at the 4 while lacking on the wings. Plus they reportedly still like Lee from his time there.

@ end of 2018-19 (this coming season), they’ll have close to 25mn of salary cap space INCLUDING Parsons, they dump him like they’ve been trying to do they’ll have close to 50mn. 0 chance MEM takes on Lee for their expirings wout assets like I said.

How? Unless Gasol opts out they'll have 91M committed to 3 players. They'd have at most 16M in cap space, with which to sign 12 guys, and that's if they renounced everyone (including their pick).

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=5330541425b4781452e7d4890566486

Ohhh, so MEM does have cap space, swear you used no cap space as the far fetched reason that MEM will deal for Lee.

This is a moot point, reality is if ANY team wanted Lee like most here pray for, he'd be gone by now. Lee does NOT get dumped unless Knicks add assets, sick of seeing all these ridiculous trades involving Lee, LT, THJ and Noah. All of those guys will require sig assets to unload simple as that.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#177 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

They didn't take every available dime available at the time. It's not exactly the same but no one is saying KP should starve for a year.

And Yes, KP & the Knicks should help each other. They'll both be better off if they do. Something, something...the meaning of the word team.

I think you're a little afraid of KP's potential success as the Knicks' frontman.

WTF are you talking about right now? I’m saying one thing and you’re bringing up something totally irrelevant. Especially when I had these EXACT same views with Melo. I didn’t and will not switch it up on KP. If I didn’t lay cap responsibly at the feet of Melo why in the world would I do it to KP? That’s called being unfair.

KP and no other player owes the Knicks a damn thing. Just like the Knicks don’t owe him a thing, right? The Knicks are responsible for the roster. Stop putting that on players.

KP’s success goes hand in hand with the Knicks. Right now the Knicks are doing a poor job no matter how you slice it money wise if they’re looking to speed up this half assed rebuild by blowing all their cash on KP AND another max(who will make more than KP) by next summer. If that was the plan they should have NEVER went for Timmy.

Instead of you seeing that all you see is what KP can do for you as a fan and this franchise who already made their move...LAST YEAR.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#178 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:28 pm

There is no extension next summer. It’s a full blown re-sign. You’re asking an injury prone player to play on an expiring deal.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#179 » by cuyankees » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Really hope that Knicks FO doesn't offer a max during the season bc KP will sit out the season and tank mode in effect!!!
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#180 » by DowNY » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 pm

lol I don't understand why this is even still being discussed.
It makes total sense to squeeze a max player in before signing KP to an extension.

If KP truly has a problem with that, sign the QO (which lowers his cap hold even more) then we can run you into the ground the following season &/trade him. Simple.

Return to New York Knicks