ImageImageImageImage

Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!!

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#81 » by tiderulz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
MoMM wrote:I assume our strategy is to go with these PGs and try to draft a PG in next years draft, the problem is that there is no great PG projected for next season. See NBADraft Mock: http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

1st PG is a white kid ranked #12 (Grady) and after that there is no PG until #23.

He at least seems to be able to shot the ball, but less than 2apg with more than 35mpg doesn't seem good for a PG.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278349/kellan-grady

Wish we moved up for Young/Doncic. Yeah next years draft doesn't have many PG prospects. It's a wing/forward/center draft. Some really really good talent if you can get into top 5.

Looks like we'll have to save money for a FA PG.

no one really knew Trae Young's name last year at this time. doubtful many knew SGA or Collin Sexton either. just because no one is really on the radar now doesnt mean someone wont have a breakout season.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#82 » by Versubio » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
MoMM wrote:I assume our strategy is to go with these PGs and try to draft a PG in next years draft, the problem is that there is no great PG projected for next season. See NBADraft Mock: http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

1st PG is a white kid ranked #12 (Grady) and after that there is no PG until #23.

He at least seems to be able to shot the ball, but less than 2apg with more than 35mpg doesn't seem good for a PG.

Wish we moved up for Young/Doncic. Yeah next years draft doesn't have many PG prospects. It's a wing/forward/center draft. Some really really good talent if you can get into top 5.

no one really knew Trae Young's name last year at this time. doubtful many knew SGA or Collin Sexton either. just because no one is really on the radar now doesnt mean someone wont have a breakout season.

Exactly, PG prospects may rise on the draft boards during the college season. Neither Young or Sexton were highly regarded as lottery talent before the college season started.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#83 » by Xatticus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Versubio wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Exactly, PG prospects may rise on the draft boards during the college season. Neither Young or Sexton were highly regarded as lottery talent before the college season started.

Sexton was firmly entrenched in the lottery. Young was mid to late first round.

The learning curve for draft-and-develop point guards is very steep and the process takes years. It seems really unlikely to me that our front office is planning to address the position through the draft as it will extend our rebuild by several years.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#84 » by tiderulz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Versubio wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

The learning curve for draft-and-develop point guards is very steep and the process takes years. It seems really unlikely to me that our front office is planning to address the position through the draft as it will extend our rebuild by several years.

Sexton was not firmly entrenched in the lottery last year. He was coming out of High school as a 6'1 PG prospect.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#85 » by Xatticus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:05 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Versubio wrote:

Sexton was not firmly entrenched in the lottery last year. He was coming out of High school as a 6'1 PG prospect.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2017/order/true

You can obviously play your way out of the top of the draft, but neither of these guys were unknowns. Elite prospects almost never come out of nowhere.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#86 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 am

Xatticus wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2017/order/true

You can obviously play your way out of the top of the draft, but neither of these guys were unknowns. Elite prospects almost never come out of nowhere.

quite a few of that top-30 went undrafted. like i said, there could be some PG prospects that come up out of nowhere.
Rocketsbaby
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#87 » by Rocketsbaby » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:22 am

zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
zuppafly wrote:Remember Chris Duhon?
Same reaction from Magic fans when we signed him: he's improving, he has tools, he can provide us something of value. Some people even saw him starting. Knicks fan celebrated getting rid of him.

Grant is exactly the same. He is horrible, every Bulls fan is happy right now.
You know why? Because they were the ones watching him play.

Sent from my Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus Wi-Fi using RealGM mobile app

I wondered who’d be the first to give this sort of response. The reality is that fans (not all of them but I’d argue a majority) have a skewed view of their own players either too much towards a positive view or too much towards a negative view. I’d say fans are one source of info re an acquired player but certainly not a reliable one.
So, you're saying Grant is not horrible?

Rockets fan here. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but Grant is horrible. I mean probably significantly worse than you can imagine. He's not better than Briscoe
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,189

Post#88 » by cedric76 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 am

Rocketsbaby wrote:
zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
I wondered who’d be the first to give this sort of response. The reality is that fans (not all of them but I’d argue a majority) have a skewed view of their own players either too much towards a positive view or too much towards a negative view. I’d say fans are one source of info re an acquired player but certainly not a reliable one.

Rockets fan here. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but Grant is horrible. I mean probably significantly worse than you can imagine. He's not better than Briscoe

Thank you for your highly valuable input.

I d take grant s contract over paul’s any day of the week :-)

Bye
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#89 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 am

Rocketsbaby wrote:
zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:

do you follow Notre Dame? he didnt play for Houston so wondering how many of his games you watched. not saying you are right or wrong, just wondering. He put dished out almost 5 apg in 22 mpg last year. if he can do that in a backup role while playing a defense, I will take that from a backup PG. we have other players on the 2nd unit that are not afraid to shoot the ball, so he wont really be relied on to score, just to pass the ball.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#90 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:44 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Your point? How does that correlate with my post?? Everyone knew Trae Young's name by Nov/Dec of last year. So my point to stands, WeHam probably never had him or Doncic on their board.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#91 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Pre season mock draft are not set in stone. players will emerge and others will plummet. so i'm not worried about there being someone available. Bamba is a big.... but he has the ability to be something unique and in many ways Ideal in this league. So definitely no gripes about that on my part. And the players we have might not be the shiniest of toys but i have a feeling that DJ will be the steady hand and briscoe and grant will have the chances to make their marks as they make further strides forward.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#92 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Interesting read on Grant's defense. His combination of defense.... possible ability to shoot the long ball and passing ability might put him in a great position to succeed on this team. As i've said... might not be the shiniest tool... but the kid just had his first season with meaningful minutes. Let's see if he makes further steps forward.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/film-room-jerian-grants-defensive-abilities-20180712
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#93 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Your point? How does that correlate with my post?? Everyone knew Trae Young's name by Nov/Dec of last year. So my point to stands, WeHam probably never had him or Doncic on their board.

you said next years draft doesnt have many PG prospects. next years Mock draft right now has 5 in the top 34 picks. there are 7 PG's in the top-30 recruits for 2018. some of those may very well become the next Young/Sexton/SGA, a PG that shoots up the boards.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#94 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:50 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

you said next years draft doesnt have many PG prospects. next years Mock draft right now has 5 in the top 34 picks. there are 7 PG's in the top-30 recruits for 2018. some of those may very well become the next Young/Sexton/SGA, a PG that shoots up the boards.

True. Possible. But next draft is wings, forwards and bigs. We'll see. But why keep putting things off until next year? It's a broken record with this team. We had a good shot to grab a PG in draft or FA, and absolutely bombed it.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#95 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

True. Possible. But next draft is wings, forwards and bigs. We'll see. But why keep putting things off until next year? It's a broken record with this team. We had a good shot to grab a PG in draft or FA, and absolutely bombed it.

cmon man. IT took a vet min from his old coach in Denver. if he was actually healthy, he could have gotten more than that. I dont blame Orlando for not signing him to a bigger deal if he still has health issues.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#96 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:33 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:you said next years draft doesnt have many PG prospects. next years Mock draft right now has 5 in the top 34 picks. there are 7 PG's in the top-30 recruits for 2018. some of those may very well become the next Young/Sexton/SGA, a PG that shoots up the boards.

cmon man. IT took a vet min from his old coach in Denver. if he was actually healthy, he could have gotten more than that. I dont blame Orlando for not signing him to a bigger deal if he still has health issues.

Cmon man. For 2-3 mill, whether he's healthy or not, you take that low risk. Especially and I mean especially for a team at the bottom like the Magic.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#97 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Cmon man. For 2-3 mill, whether he's healthy or not, you take that low risk. Especially and I mean especially for a team at the bottom like the Magic.

how do we know it was not offered? maybe he thought with his work and rep up to now, he could demand more from Orlando and they said no. so he went back to his old coach. I cant imagine WeltHam wouldnt have offered up $3mil to IT. He had to have been seeking more. and granted, I could be very wrong and they would be completely wrong not to offer up to $5mil for a year or so in my opinion.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#98 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:cmon man. IT took a vet min from his old coach in Denver. if he was actually healthy, he could have gotten more than that. I dont blame Orlando for not signing him to a bigger deal if he still has health issues.

how do we know it was not offered? maybe he thought with his work and rep up to now, he could demand more from Orlando and they said no. so he went back to his old coach. I cant imagine WeltHam wouldnt have offered up $3mil to IT. He had to have been seeking more. and granted, I could be very wrong and they would be completely wrong not to offer up to $5mil for a year or so in my opinion.

Umm go to the FA thread. Josh Robbins and others confirmed, the Magic never offered him.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#99 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Umm go to the FA thread. Josh Robbins and others confirmed, the Magic never offered him.

then i have to imagine he was asking more than we were prepared to offer. He may have told them he wanted the full MLE, which if healthy he should easily command.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#100 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:12 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:how do we know it was not offered? maybe he thought with his work and rep up to now, he could demand more from Orlando and they said no. so he went back to his old coach. I cant imagine WeltHam wouldnt have offered up $3mil to IT. He had to have been seeking more. and granted, I could be very wrong and they would be completely wrong not to offer up to $5mil for a year or so in my opinion.

then i have to imagine he was asking more than we were prepared to offer. He may have told them he wanted the full MLE, which if healthy he should easily command.

This makes no sense. He might have asked the Magic for more... But signs with Denver today for 2 mill.

Return to Orlando Magic