RFA Offer Sheets must be two seasons?

TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

RFA Offer Sheets must be two seasons? 

Post#1 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 pm

It is my understanding that restricted free agents must be offered two seasons(not including option years) in an offer sheet from another team. But does that 2nd season have to be guaranteed? I guess for example purposes could the Bulls offer restricted free agent Marcus Smart a 2yr/40mil contract. 1st season guaranteed, but 2nd season non-guaranteed? And is there an example of an offer sheet structured like that?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: RFA Offer Sheets must be two seasons? 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 pm

No. But why would a team want to do that example you gave? Or a player, if the number is actually realistic?? There's not a way for both player and team to win on that setup, I dont think.
TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Post#3 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm

DBoys wrote:No. But why would a team want to do that example you gave? Or a player, if the number is actually realistic?? There's not a way for both player and team to win on that setup, I dont think.

I understand, it was just an example. I was more interested if it was technically possible vs realistic. I don't think the example is realistic for the record.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#4 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Jabari's deal ended up being almost exactly this.

The Bucks INEXPLICABLY rescinded his QO for no reason whatsoever.

We Bucks fans are quite interested to know if the Bulls would have been able to sign him to a 2 year deal with the second year being a TO and there has been some disagreement about its legality (the Coon CBA doesn't specify).

Obviously it doesn't matter since the offer was rescinded; the question is entirely what would have happened had our FO not been idiotic.

EDIT: To be clear the question is whether a 2 year deal with the second year non-guaranteed is a sufficient offer to make to a restricted free agent. I know PO and TOs would need to be on Y3. I thought both player and team had to be guaranteed 2 years but I cannot document that. Otherwise, big 1 year deals could be the norm moving forward with effectively a TO (writing it as a NG 2nd year).

Thanks!
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
DBoys
Starter

Post#5 » by DBoys » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:30 pm

"We Bucks fans are quite interested to know if the Bulls would have been able to sign him to a 2 year deal with the second year being a TO and there has been some disagreement about its legality (the Coon CBA doesn't specify)."

As to a RFA, the answer to the above question is no. But a year being non-guaranteed is NOT the same as it being a TO (which is why I provided a different answer in OP when the query was about a non-guaranteed year). While a certain type of deal may be reported as a "2 year deal with the second year being a TO," the NBA itself only considers that to be a one-year deal when it's signed.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#6 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:17 pm

If the second year was partially guaranteed (for only a couple million dollars) would that affect the NBA's considering it a 1yr deal?

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
DBoys
Starter

Post#7 » by DBoys » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:22 pm

If 2nd year is included as a year (not as an option), then it's a two year deal. Whether it's guaranteed or not is not considered.

However, having a two year deal with an inflated year one salary, and the 2nd having little-to-no guarantees, is NOT the same as having one with a team option. On such a 2 year deal, without 2nd year guarantees, in order to re-do the 2nd year to a longer (or different) deal everyone likes better, they have to WAIVE the player. That (a) gives everyone else a shot at claiming him on waivers, if the salary is feasible, and (b) if not, it makes him no one's free agent, and starts his Bird clock over again. And accruing Bird rights can be a factor in doing future deals.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#8 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

Return to CBA & Business